Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like recognizing the value of PayPal and knowing when to get in and get out was pretty smart. Obviously he was only able to be the largest shareholder because of wealth he already had, but plenty of people at that time were squandering fortunes on tech they didn't really understand, but Musk got that one right.

He was the largest shareholder because of a previous tech company zip2 he and his brother founded and later sold. Then starting spacex and taking stakes in tesla and solar city. I think it’s fair to say Musk was smart in some way 20 years ago with the business moves he made. But I guess being ultra rich and having tech bros worship you turns you into an idiot after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Elon has a certain amount of cunning. That's not the same thing as being smart.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Elon has a certain amount of cunning. That's not the same thing as being smart.

Obviously. It presents as a very different set of lumps on the skull.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have a better idea. Put a server on mars, host a secondlife instance, persuade a million people to log in. Claim that there are a million people on mars in the metaverse.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That plan has too much accidental legitimate coolness to actually happen

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
only americans are gullible enough to buy this poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like recognizing the value of PayPal and knowing when to get in and get out was pretty smart. Obviously he was only able to be the largest shareholder because of wealth he already had, but plenty of people at that time were squandering fortunes on tech they didn't really understand, but Musk got that one right.

Musk was such a dumbass that he was kicked out of Paypal in less than six months

he was absolutely squandering a fortune on tech he didn't really understand, but it was early enough in the tech bubble that it was pretty easy to stumble into a huge fortune

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Someone needs to give Elon a copy of the Millennium Project: How to Colonize the Galaxy in 8 easy steps.

The first step is to create seasteading archologies. Libertarians are already working on similar projects so I feel this would be a good fit.

The next step is to hollow out a mountain in Africa to build a laser-based launcher. Elon has experience with mining in Africa.

The next step is to build a base in LEO. Not as sexy as Mars but everyone has to subsist on a diet of algae based gruel and I feel Elon would be down with that.

Next step is to build a base on the Moon. It's a mixture of the last few steps, you have people eating an algae based gruel dig holes in mountains to make bigger laser beams. It's very sci-fi villain because you can also turn those lasers on Earth so very Elon.

Then you colonize the asteroids between Earth and Mars.

Then you colonize Mars, using the asteroids between them as a slowboat.

Then you colonize the asteroid belt.

Then you build a giant laser and colonize the galaxy.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
The already terraformed planet every human being, save a handful on a tiny space station, already lives on is burning and waylaying the very worst of the consequences of that might just be within the most tenuous of our collective grasps, if we as a civilization could just stoke the fires of capitalism and Endless Economic Growth* a little bit less or maybe even just do it differently, but no. Let’s live out this utter fantasy and put Daddy Elon at helm of this Galactic Empire™* brought to you by Tesla and Taco Bell. Therein lies our salvation.

*Results may vary

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Anton Chigurh posted:

Why do they not?

I don't know if you're a troll or just a very low knowledge bazinga but here's one example out of many. If you don't understand why this is beyond submoronic than there really won't be much for you to learn from this thread, as your foundational knowledge would be severely lacking.

And no, he was not trolling. Even the gormless rube who prompted his response was embarrassed enough to delete the original tweet.

There are literally hundreds of examples of his complete lack of intelligence and knowledge. So many that at least one of them should have intersected with something you know a bit about that would make you question your givens. If not, well...maybe start learning about the stuff you're trying to discuss instead of blindly parroting breathless musk idiots in his orbit?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jesus christ that's embarrassing

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

He's literally so loving stupid I genuinely don't understand how anyone doesn't see it. It's right there plain and simple.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because theyre just as stupid.

youre talking about the demographic that things ironman movies, and rick and mort are how real science works.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing that is how poo poo like that or the gullwing doors on the Model X work (well, "work") - someone comes up with a dumbass and incredibly pointless idea he thinks is super cool so they then spent a huge amount of time and resources to do it, ultimately comprising the reliability and functionality of the product.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Slotducks posted:

He's literally so loving stupid I genuinely don't understand how anyone doesn't see it. It's right there plain and simple.

excuse me how can you say elon musk is stupid when he's plainly very rich

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I feel like several times he’s talked about doing something with computers or programming that is either random words put together or not possible, only for someone who’s changed the field in programming or something similar says that’s wrong, only for Musk fans to swarm them calling them the stupid one.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Look, Tony Stark created a new element by firing a particle accelerator - or something - at a triangle. If he can accomplish that then who are you to say that Musk's rockets can't eat space trash?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

King Carnivore posted:

The already terraformed planet every human being, save a handful on a tiny space station, already lives on is burning and waylaying the very worst of the consequences of that might just be within the most tenuous of our collective grasps, if we as a civilization could just stoke the fires of capitalism and Endless Economic Growth* a little bit less or maybe even just do it differently, but no. Let’s live out this utter fantasy and put Daddy Elon at helm of this Galactic Empire™* brought to you by Tesla and Taco Bell. Therein lies our salvation.

*Results may vary

This is a very beta male understanding of the world. If you have one thing, you are always at risk of losing that one thing. Consequences are real and harsh, what Cheney called the "reality based community". The sigma male approach, which Elon embodies, is to spread yourself around to multiple things thereby reducing your risk. If one doesn't work out, so what?

If we are going to use planets to drive endless growth which civilization requires, we need to make planets fungible.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
What if a tunnel, but underground???

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

lol

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

lmao

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Musk is my side hobby and my hatred is pure. There is a neverending font of his wisdom out there to fuel your furnace 🔥

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

He is such a dumb rear end. Like seriously how does he get any serious scientists to work on his stupid ideas?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zil posted:

He is such a dumb rear end. Like seriously how does he get any serious scientists to work on his stupid ideas?

He burns through them pretty fast, from what I understand.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

had a friend who worked at spacex and everyone is stealing all the money they can because musk keeps writing blank checks lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Scientists want to get paid like anyone else, and academia is poo poo. Commercial research might be "impure" and limit your research freedom, but it pays the bills and you're not so trapped in the eternal grant writing cycle.

A couple of years putting up with his poo poo probably makes for nice CV filler material for someone starting out.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

loving hell, who linked the Bazingas to this thread?

There's 3 or 4 genuine Musk defenders in the last couple of pages :catstare:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

"We need to make planets fungible"

Hahaha, I was wrong - we might have Elon himself joining us now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zil posted:

He is not, in fact, serious about that.

This is just a game he plays on twitter. He throws out something like that that gets attention just so he can reply to random stans and make them all horny for him. That's how he made a posse of twitter nerds who fight to the death for his attention. It's the same thing as a twitter egirl, but he uses it for stock manipulation instead of amazon wish lists.

(And lest this appear as if I think he's playing 5d chessmaster here, no, this isn't some massive brain move. Elon is a pretty smart guy who has been deluded by success into believing that he's a comic book super-genius.)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Klyith posted:

He is not, in fact, serious about that.

This is just a game he plays on twitter. He throws out something like that that gets attention just so he can reply to random stans and make them all horny for him. That's how he made a posse of twitter nerds who fight to the death for his attention. It's the same thing as a twitter egirl, but he uses it for stock manipulation instead of amazon wish lists.

(And lest this appear as if I think he's playing 5d chessmaster here, no, this isn't some massive brain move. Elon is a pretty smart guy who has been deluded by success into believing that he's a comic book super-genius.)

Yeah I think it's mainly for pumping up his stock portfolio. I'm willing to bet there are thousands of algorithmic trading bots that trade exclusively off his tweets.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Carlos Lantana posted:

only americans are gullible enough to buy this poo poo

I love your red text. I've seen it a lot and I've never seen you mention birds and most of the poo poo you post is pretty tame so it just make me think you pissed off someone at Big Bird Cage. Like, who gets mad about people wanting a better life for caged animals?

Sorry for the derail, just cracks me up every time I see it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr. Lobe posted:

He burns through them pretty fast, from what I understand.

You'd think they'd learn not to actually drive Teslas by this point

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Captain Hygiene posted:

You'd think they'd learn not to actually drive Teslas by this point

They are contractually obligated to love the car

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Oh man I literally just traveled from one end of Sao Paulo to the other on a beautifully maintained and operated public transportation "tube" for 86 United States cents but what I really wish is that I could've taken a trip in Apartheid Clyde's bazinga tunnel for stupid soy face morons with smelly butts

https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1479153917749600257?t=2q-TmV9Q3Lgkgt0RJFcTPw&s=19

PS: He is in not in any way smart, a keen businessman, or even a nerd. He's a lovely rear end in a top hat rich kid with a duh face and I hope he eats poop

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zil posted:

if you actually wanna use your degree it's this or developing child-seeking missiles for Raytheon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Laopooh posted:

Oh man I literally just traveled from one end of Sao Paulo to the other on a beautifully maintained and operated public transportation "tube" for 86 United States cents but what I really wish is that I could've taken a trip in Apartheid Clyde's bazinga tunnel for stupid soy face morons with smelly butts

https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1479153917749600257?t=2q-TmV9Q3Lgkgt0RJFcTPw&s=19

PS: He is in not in any way smart, a keen businessman, or even a nerd. He's a lovely rear end in a top hat rich kid with a duh face and I hope he eats poop

Just Add One More Tube and that will solve traffic forever

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
just build a loving subway what is this stupid poo poo

edit: ill bet its so tesla people dont have to be near poor people

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Every bus is a stretch limo until the first poor person steps onboard.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Robo Reagan posted:

had a friend who worked at spacex and everyone is stealing all the money they can because musk keeps writing blank checks lol

You should tweet that to Musk, see if he responds.

Or, if you truly believe your friend is correct or isn't jerking your chain, then send Dr. Elon/Mr. Musk a private email.

Guess it all depend on what your goal is and what you think might happen, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Amphigory posted:

"We need to make planets fungible"

Hahaha, I was wrong - we might have Elon himself joining us now

Yes.