Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Maigius posted:

What's the best way to create a Chrome shortcut to a specific site on the desktop? I want to set up one for my dad.
Visit the site and drag the lock icon in the address bar to the desktop?
Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

Visit the site and drag the lock icon in the address bar to the desktop?
Or am I missing something?

That works, not the most signposted thing in the world. Thanks

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Maigius posted:

What's the best way to create a Chrome shortcut to a specific site on the desktop? I want to set up one for my dad.

Hit the three dots -> More tools -> Create shortcut...

It'll place a link on the desktop (and in Chrome apps (copy the address into a new tab), and into 'Chrome Apps' in the Start menu). You can also choose whether it opens as a regular Chrome window, or a bare-minimum frame without an address bar etc.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a good way to do it if you want the website act like an application to your dad.

I use it to have a fixed dedicated Gmail icon (and window) on the taskbar, for example.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've been using the "Tabs Outliner" extension for a few years now. It let's you keep saved groups of tabs, that you can close and open at anytime, without losing them. It keeps the saved tabs in it's own chrome window in an easily manipulatable tree. It's very easy to create new tab trees, move individual webpages from one tree to another with just drag and drop, etc... Combined with the tab divider extension, it becomes pretty easy to save and organize a bazillion tabs.

More recently I've been having the desire to be able to sync make saved groups of tab across my personal and work PCs. Tab Outliner unfortunately cannot do this. If I paid 15 bucks for the pro mode the best it could do is backup my tab trees to a google document so I can access them remotely.

It's been a few years since I've checked up on tab management extensions. Is there anything better than tabs outliner at this point? And is there anything that can let me sync up my saved tabs between two different computers?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit had not refreshed the tab and didn't realise the post has already been helped.

Maigius posted:

Click the 3 line hamburger top right then mouse over more tools then select create shortcut, it will then create a shortcut on the desktop of the website. If you click the open in window it will launch the website in a basic looking browser window, so you can leave it unchecked and it will launch chrome to the website you selected and automagically refresh on load.

You can leave the Shortcut on the Desktop or you can click and Pin it to the Taskbar also.

I'm running Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit) windows 10 Pro. On my laptop that is on win 10 home it has then menu.

So just make sure the browser is updated to the latest build i guess via the 3 dot menu then at the bottom click the Help menu then click about google chrome and it should show you if your on the latest build or not, if not then just click update/relaunch.

NVB fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m looking for a way to quickly go to a web page by typing a wildcard into the Chrome search bar.

In my situation, the website’s pages always follow some format. For example: mytrees.com/fig, my trees.com/birch.

I want to just type, like, “mytrees birch” into my search bar and have it jump straight to mytrees.com/birch.

The only close thing I’ve found is Chrome’s ability to add custom search engines. If mytrees had a search engine, I could just type “mytrees”, hit tab, type “birch”, and arrive at the search results of the mytrees search engine.

But I want to go straight to the page rather than search results. Is there a chrome extension or functionality that can accomplish this?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The search engine thing does exactly what you want. it's just a url you put a wildcard into where your input goes. Here is one I made to jump directly to a user profile given only the userid#:

You'd just do http://mytrees.com/%s and it will do literally what you describe

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Oh man, can’t believe I didn’t think to use it that way. My brain got boxed in by the idea that these things have to be search engines. Your suggestion works perfectly — thanks!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I feel like I ask this every few years, but:

I just closed 4 chrome windows, each with dozens of tabs*.

My history doesn't have any "x closed tabs" entries that I can restore. Is there anything at all I can do?

* My monitor turned off and wasn't turning back on in response to my mouse (which was disconnected). I hit the power button, only for my computer to start shutting down... and then I accidentally hit space, which apparently closed down chrome completely, with no mercy or memory for my tabs.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 3, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Xander77 posted:

I feel like I ask this every few years, but:

I just closed 4 chrome windows, each with dozens of tabs*.

My history doesn't have any "x closed tabs" entries that I can restore. Is there anything at all I can do?

* My monitor turned off and wasn't turning back on in response to my mouse (which was disconnected). I hit the power button, only for my computer to start shutting down... and then I accidentally hit space, which apparently closed down chrome completely, with no mercy or memory for my tabs.

Apparently the old way of getting the current session and last session files and swapping them changed, they're now located in:
C:\Users\<your user account>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Sessions\

Hopefully you see more than one set of files so you can copy the older ones out into another directory, then crash chrome (end task it from the task manager) and paste them back in. It should load the files with the highest number in their name. I haven't tried it myself and I only see one set of session and tabs files in my directory so it may not work if the old ones aren't there. If there's no old Tabs file you might be out of luck.

I'd recommend using a tab manager that saves tabs like Session Buddy in the future, it's saved me a few times.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-buddy/edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rexxed posted:

Apparently the old way of getting the current session and last session files and swapping them changed, they're now located in:
C:\Users\<your user account>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Sessions\
Everything under "Default" was last updated in 2019, while storage and session storage (no "sessions" folder) were last updated in 2015. So... probably not it?

Edit:
C:\Users\*User Account\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Sessions

Is probably it. But loving around with "default\sessions" probably messed that up.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 5, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the best current chrome extension for stopping autoplay on media?

I found a couple but some of the reviews say they don't work properly?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoplaystopper/ejddcgojdblidajhngkogefpkknnebdh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Getting a weird graphical glitch in chrome. Kinda looks like a colored bitmap or something? Just a bunch of squares, sometimes though not always reminiscent of the actual material. Very strange

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there any particular reason why Chromium based browsers refuse to resolve anything at all, as soon the Internet connection to the outside world is down, despite a local DNS server that keeps working just fine?

I have Adguard Home running, that rewrites a bunch of DNS entries (*.home stuff). Earlier my DSL line went down, figured to check my modem, which is at fritzbox.home and Edge claims a DNS error and it can't resolve the URL. I'm like what? Try Chrome instead, same poo poo. I try nslookup, it does it just fine. I fire up Firefox, it ain't bothered by it, either.

Why is Chromium being this obnoxious?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any particular reason why Chromium based browsers refuse to resolve anything at all, as soon the Internet connection to the outside world is down, despite a local DNS server that keeps working just fine?

I have Adguard Home running, that rewrites a bunch of DNS entries (*.home stuff). Earlier my DSL line went down, figured to check my modem, which is at fritzbox.home and Edge claims a DNS error and it can't resolve the URL. I'm like what? Try Chrome instead, same poo poo. I try nslookup, it does it just fine. I fire up Firefox, it ain't bothered by it, either.

Why is Chromium being this obnoxious?

My guess would be DNSSEC in combo with the configuration of your router's DNS settings + adguard, plus any DNS manually set on the system.

Background, how the two browsers handle DNSSEC:
1. Firefox uses a canary domain. If it can resolve that address, it ignores the OS configuration entirely and sends DNS lookups to cloudflare's secure DNS-over-HTTPS service. If it can't, it uses the system DNS.
2. Chromium (by default) looks to the system DNS and attempts to get secure connections with them. If there are multiple DNS options and only some of them provide DNSSEC, it will use those and avoid the unsecure ones.

So if you have other DNS servers available in your router's DCHP, or have manually configured DNS on your system, your Chromium browsers may be avoiding the adguard DNS.

DNSSEC has made doing poo poo with local DNS like adblocking a much bigger pain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Adguard is the only DNS server Chromium knows about, per ipconfig and considering I have my DHCP server serve only its IP as DNS service. When I stop the Adguard container, resolves in the browser break as expected. What's uncool is that it also breaks when the upstream connection goes down. There's no reason for that, IMO. As said earlier, the system resolver (via nslookup) keeps resolving just fine. I mean I understand if it doesn't resolve say google.com, because it relies on upstream data (if the cache is cold, anyway), but the rewrites should keep working. I don't think DNSSEC should matter on a local .home TLD.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Adguard is the only DNS server Chromium knows about, per ipconfig and considering I have my DHCP server serve only its IP as DNS service. When I stop the Adguard container, resolves in the browser break as expected. What's uncool is that it also breaks when the upstream connection goes down. There's no reason for that, IMO. As said earlier, the system resolver (via nslookup) keeps resolving just fine. I mean I understand if it doesn't resolve say google.com, because it relies on upstream data (if the cache is cold, anyway), but the rewrites should keep working. I don't think DNSSEC should matter on a local .home TLD.

:shrug: DNSSEC is the place where I know that the browsers have very different behavior for DNS resolve, but it could definitely be something else. Neither FF nor chrome cache DNS to disk, so if they were both freshly opened it must be something with the network setup.

But I can't replicate your result: if the internet is down, my router "helpfully" redirects all http traffic to a router page telling me that the internet is down. Including local domain results! :ughh:
And that's consistent on both browsers.

Anyways my suggestion is just putting network appliances on static IPs and typing numbers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're confusing DNSSEC with secure DNS (DNS-over-TLS/DNS-over-HTTPS). Those aren't the same thing or interchangeable.

Try disabling secure DNS in Chome's settings and see what happens

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 6, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's disabled already.

Klyith posted:

But I can't replicate your result: if the internet is down, my router "helpfully" redirects all http traffic to a router page telling me that the internet is down. Including local domain results! :ughh:
And that's consistent on both browsers.
I presume that behavior is somehow related to what's happening here.

Klyith posted:

Anyways my suggestion is just putting network appliances on static IPs and typing numbers.
I'm being pedantic about things for no good reason and attempting to stick to IPv6 only where possible because, so...

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 6, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP Vanced, yet another project killed by Google (lawyers)

https://twitter.com/YTVanced/status/1503055442506915846

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Maybe if Google made an actually nice app I'd use it. I even pay for premium, gently caress off with your stupid interface. Assholes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RIP thing I've never heard of.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
E: wrong thread

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 14, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The United States posted:

RIP Vanced, yet another project killed by Google (lawyers)

https://twitter.com/YTVanced/status/1503055442506915846

lol apparently Vanced was just a modification and redistribution of the actual google Youtube app. So it was 100% infringing copyright in and of itself, not just something like youtube-dl where the code is original and users are the ones doing any infringement.

And then they did some sort of NFT thing, that was apparently just a joke, but still involved putting real NFTs on a market that someone could theoretically buy. If you're Doing Crimes, don't gently caress around.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm running the current version of Chrome on a fully updated Windows 11 Home desktop. Recently (last week or two) I unexpectedly started getting a mysterious "soft beep" sound when I open Gmail. It's a simple beep that sounds vaguely like the default Win11 USB device connect/disconnect sound, but it's not the same. (I've even gone through all the Windows system sounds that are currently active, and none of them quite match the mystery beep.)

I've triple-checked to make sure that my Gmail mail notification setting is set to OFF. I also don't have any new activity in google hangouts or anything else that I should be getting alerts or notifications about. When I send myself test email messages with Gmail already open, I don't get any sounds or beeps when the email arrives. It only happens when I "freshly" open Gmail after not using it for a little while.

The only extension I have is Adblock Plus. Windows Defender doesn't find any threats. Why is Chrome beeping at me (specifically when I load Gmail)? Inexplicable things like this keep me up at night.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
If you mute Chrome (via the volume mixer) or the Gmail tab (via Chrome itself) does that sound still play? Easy way to check if it's Gmail making that noise and not like a desktop-notification-related sound or something

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The current Edge Beta release leaves a shitload of child processes running when you close it, which appear to be the plugin containers among other things, based on the error toasters that pop up closing some of them. This happens despite unchecking "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed". And they do hog quite some memory after some runtime, thanks to being Chrome. Thanks Microsoft/Google/whoever hosed this up.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Make sure you closed any additional apps you might have open. For example, Twitter from the MS store just makes an Edge PWA now, which runs your default profile's add-ins. There are probably plenty of other examples of lazy applications.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There shouldn't be any PWAs on the system. At least none that I knowingly installed. Unless I hit the main container process, or whatever it is supposed to be, killing other msedge.exe instances restart immediately, followed by a toaster notification about whatever Chrome/Edge extension I just killed. I'm not sure what's going on here. Discord or Steam for instances, they spawn their own instances called msedgewebview2.exe, and they're unfazed when I kill the Edge leftovers. I'm not sure what's going on.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have been using Vivaldi browser. But AdBlock Plus is becoming less and less useful. But because I'm an huuuuuuuuge moron I cannot for the life of me Remember/WorkOut which Ublock is the good 1 and which 1 is the bad one. Could someone pretty prease with a Cherry on Top help this stupid moron.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
uBlock Origin
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thankyou Friend.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've been using Vivaldi for a little while and in the last few days I've started having an issue where it'll become very laggy and videos choppy and stop loading until I restart my PC. I tried disabling all extensions and closing all tabs and the issue still persists after completely closing the browser and restarting, until the PC itself is restarted. It's not a memory or CPU usage issue. Anyone else encounter this?

Edit: Hm - no longer seems to be fixing itself by PC restart, just continues to be choppy and stuttery and laggy.

Edit 2: Guess I'm switching to Edge by default. Chrome can't play Youtube videos without choppiness, FF kind of sucks, Opera is bad now and Vivaldi is a stuttery, laggy mess. Sucks because Vivaldi had the best tab management and also my old 1Password4 browser extension still worked there.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 28, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

I've been using Vivaldi for a little while and in the last few days I've started having an issue where it'll become very laggy and videos choppy and stop loading until I restart my PC.

Hate to be the "works for me" guy, but I've used Vivaldi as my youtube & internet video browser for ages and never had problems.

If a full PC restart was fixing things I think that indicates a problem beyond just Vivaldi the program, because otherwise restarting the browser alone would have done it. One thing I might try would be a video driver clean reinstall using DDU, in case the issue is that video decode acceleration was messed up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's basically a completely new computer, only ever had one display driver installed. Also a full PC restart no longer fixes it. I can play videos in Edge, run benchmarks and do everything else just fine side-by-side with Vivaldi not working. Even just scrolling up and down a page is laggy. I synced my profile from my old computer where I'd been using it for about a month but after eliminating everything (closing all tabs, extensions, using a new profile) and trying all the suggestions in the abundance of similar reports online I just moved on.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried clearing the cache.

I usually find after 6 months or so i get similar "Laggy" type issue's even though i have 32Gb ram and a i7 6700K and a inno3d IChill Liquid cooled 2080 super GPU.

I Run Ccleaner and only leave the Password box unchecked and then once it runs when i re-launch Vivaldi it runs smooth again i think it might have to do with the cache going over a certain GB amount. Mine usually starts playing up when the cache goes over 100GB.

If you don't want to download use Ccleaner then just copy paste in the url bar ( vivaldi://history ) Then top right click the Broom looking icon select on the drop down all time and click the options you want deleted then click Delete.

I also don't leave the computer or Laptop on when not in use have have 20+ tabs pinned.

Very rarely do i leave the Desktop Gaming PC or Laptop running powered on for more then 4 days. Usually i turn them of when not in use.

Power prices here in Aus are crazy stupidly expensive, and with a wife 2 kids we get some insane Power/Gas bills. So the practice in the house is if it's not in use then it's turned of at the power point excluding the Fridge - Modem - Router and needed stuff in the Garage.

but now i'm starting to write a wall of text sorry Friend/s. i Blame the the Dr's prescribe me to keep me somewhat functional.

NVB fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 31, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does anyone know of an extension or userscript that lets you highlight text on pages that try to block you from doing so?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Does anyone know of an extension or userscript that lets you highlight text on pages that try to block you from doing so?

Sounds like StopTheMadness would fix that but it's macOS only if that's an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
have you tried typing these words into the extension store?

But IMO this is best handled by a bookmarklet, rather than an extension or run-on-everything userscript. That way when you run into a website run by an idiot who thinks people still steal content by copy-pasting with a mouse, you have an easy one-time unblock that affects nothing else.

Blocking selection does have totally legit & good uses for webapps and whatnot, so pervasively unblocking everything will make the well-designed websites worse.