Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Yes the defense is why they scored 7 points. The loss is totally on the defense.

How many more / better opportunities do you think they would have had to score if the defense stopped them?

"Sir we let them score 86 points"
"GODDAMMIT WHY DIDN'T OUR OFFENSE SCORE MORE THAN THAT".

Solid plan cowboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The Vikings offense is real good and holding them to 23 points is probably pretty hard, especially with no tape on the new system

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Wasn't Alexander the guy covering Jefferson on his second touchdown? When he peels off to double Thielen who was supposed to pick up coverage because they left Jefferson wide open in the middle of the field.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/highlights/play/type/minnesota-vikings/2022/week/playerId/2022091112/1613

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

ghosthorse posted:

Wasn't Alexander the guy covering Jefferson on his second touchdown? When he peels off to double Thielen who was supposed to pick up coverage because they left Jefferson wide open in the middle of the field.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/highlights/play/type/minnesota-vikings/2022/week/playerId/2022091112/1613

Jaire passed Jefferson to Douglas rather than covering Jefferson once Thielen entered his zone. Blown coverage by Douglas.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Jaire passed Jefferson to Douglas rather than covering Jefferson once Thielen entered his zone. Blown coverage by Douglas.
Didn't watch but Jaire disagrees:

quote:

On yet another, Alexander passed Jefferson off to his left while the Packers were in zone coverage and nobody picked him up before Jefferson pranced through an Amos tackle attempt and into the end zone (Alexander admitted he should’ve stayed on Jefferson on that play).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/DaveKluge/status/1569063602279047177

lol Aaron's face

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ghosthorse posted:

I don't know what the gently caress Savage (#26) is doing there. Showing blitz? Moving up to cover #84? He gets spun around on the play and ends up doing nothing.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lol Aaron's face

Watson beats Peterson deep, all he needed to do was have his hands closer together and that's a catch. I feel more positive than negative about that play tbh.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Big Beef City posted:

How many more / better opportunities do you think they would have had to score if the defense stopped them?

"Sir we let them score 86 points"
"GODDAMMIT WHY DIDN'T OUR OFFENSE SCORE MORE THAN THAT".

Solid plan cowboy.

?????? Are you braindead lmao this has to be a bit right

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Didn't watch but Jaire disagrees:

Interesting. He gave around a six yard cushion the entire time he was covering him before moving onto Thielen.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know what the gently caress Savage (#26) is doing there. Showing blitz? Moving up to cover #84? He gets spun around on the play and ends up doing nothing.

Looks like showing blitz then covering the flat zone.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

?????? Are you braindead lmao this has to be a bit right

sorry you're right it's on the offense to hold the other team to a certain amount of points and THEN outscore them, my bad.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Interesting. He gave around a six yard cushion the entire time he was covering him before moving onto Thielen.

I mean, to your/his point, there's an issue when your best corner has any questions or ambiguity about his responsibilities while covering their best wideout.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1569308320204312582?t=KGedXlCMYhylTV3zOQlUXA&s=19

Rodrigo: very good

Apparently he was the Lions highest rated defender per PFF, which, while PFF grades are lol, is still hella impressive for a 6th round rookie. Dude is going places.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, to your/his point, there's an issue when your best corner has any questions or ambiguity about his responsibilities while covering their best wideout.

Oh yeah without a doubt.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1569308320204312582?t=KGedXlCMYhylTV3zOQlUXA&s=19

Apparently he was the Lions highest rated defender per PFF, which, while PFF grades are lol, is still hella impressive for a 6th round rookie. Dude is going places.

Yeah he was good and okudah was even decent. But the defense has a long way to go if the dline isn't going to get any pressure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm sure he was good, and not meant to be a indication of his skill as a whole. Dude seems awesome

but lol that is textbook, "I'm getting the poo poo blocked out of me on this play, and frustrated, let me vent frustration and flip this dude in a way he's not expecting"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wish I could do any sort of editing at all because this is begging to be made into that left side someone overexplaining something right side someone just being cool and good with Justin Fields doing the slip n slide meme

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Big Beef City posted:

sorry you're right it's on the offense to hold the other team to a certain amount of points and THEN outscore them, my bad.

23 is a very average number of points. If you hold a good offense to 23 points, you're doing a good job.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

23 is a very average number of points. If you hold a good offense to 23 points, you're doing a good job.

Are you sure you watched the Packer game yesterday?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Big Beef City posted:

Are you sure you watched the Packer game yesterday?

They both did poorly stop being weird

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lots of cope from fans of the Worst Team in the NFC North*

*as of 9/12/22 may not apply on future dates

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hand Row posted:

They both did poorly stop being weird

HE'S THE ONE SAYING THE D DID A GOOD JOB
HE LITERALLY SAID IT DID A GOOD JOB.

I KNOW THEY BOTH SUCKED rear end

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Feeling pretty good about the way the bears looked yesterday. They were absolutely horrendous in that first half but actually made adjustments they needed to make and looked like the better team in the second half pretty convincingly. The Nagy teams after that first season all seemed to crumple under pressure and display no energy when things starting trending downward, so that seems like a real step in the right direction

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Savoring this all week because they are going to lose by 50 to the packers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Savoring this all week because they are going to lose by 50 to the packers.

Nah gonna be the standard heartbreak where they are close for most of the game within like 3-7 points.

Then Aaron Rodgers does some bullshit to blow the game open, and the bears lose by like 10-14 points.

The second game of the season is generally when they get the dub put up on them.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Big Beef City posted:

HE'S THE ONE SAYING THE D DID A GOOD JOB
HE LITERALLY SAID IT DID A GOOD JOB.

I KNOW THEY BOTH SUCKED rear end

The defense was better than the offense because they came closer to doing their job than the offense did. Both were bad, the loss was the fault of only one of them, and that was the offense.

You are very dense.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Good lord I guess when you don't lose all that often the losses drive you even more insane. Seriously Pack fans just calm down and look forward to the taste of Bears fans tears* in 6 more days

* (I apparently had genius foresight so will be checking the score while attending Riot Fest so I'll rely on the other fans in this thread to provide sustenance)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good Will Hrunting vs. Big Beef City is the extremely unnesecarily aggro Packers fan melee I've been waiting for for like two years. Like our very own Alien vs. Predator.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm totally ok with this loss. You cannot expect your team offense to do well in their first game when they don't take preseason snaps with this much roster turnover. That said, it was absolutely their fault and anyone who thinks otherwise is a loving moron. Only 3 other teams scored less than 10 points.

People like to think I am an aggro poster when in actuality I'm just a depressed loser who gets frustrated by other depressed losers overreacting and being dumb. Doesn't go well with this thread.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Guy A. Person posted:

* (I apparently had genius foresight so will be checking the score while attending Riot Fest so I'll rely on the other fans in this thread to provide sustenance)
Hell, same. NIN will help ease the pain of another loss to green bay

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Good lord I guess when you don't lose all that often the losses drive you even more insane. Seriously Pack fans just calm down and look forward to the taste of Bears fans tears* in 6 more days

To be clear, probably won't happen.

But man if the Bears somehow Bears their way to a victory.

Just smiling thinking about it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm ok with this loss, too. We lost the first game last year as well, dude.

My only argument w/you is that you're a dumbass for literally saying

quote:

If you hold a good offense to 23 points, you're doing a good job

Because they sure as gently caress were NOT doing that yesterday. ie doing a good job.

e: however, the offense sucked, too, and I have acknowledged that, and they looked dumb as hell out there, I agree with you on that part.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 12, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

who knows, when the Vikings go on to average like 30 points a game, and Justin Jefferson breaks every receiving and yard from scrimmage record, you could look back on this game as, "hey we did alright here"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Only a 24% chance of rain with winds at a mere 12mph.
Bears are fuuuuuucked.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dexo posted:

who knows, when the Vikings go on to average like 30 points a game, and Justin Jefferson breaks every receiving and yard from scrimmage record, you could look back on this game as, "hey we did alright here"

no that'd mean i lose that argument with that guy

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

I'm totally ok with this loss. You cannot expect your team offense to do well in their first game when they don't take preseason snaps with this much roster turnover.

So, coaching error? One one hand, no risk of injury. On the other hand, a week-1 loss to a divisional opponent.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It's been said but MLF is particularly bad in certain situations and first game of the season has definitely been one.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Everyone's soooo certain green bays gonna dumpster the Bears BUT have you all considered that every new bears coach beats green bay at least once in their first year?

HMMMM?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

Imagine, if you will, a future where the Vikings lead the division, the Bears and Lions are contesting for a Wildcard spot, and Green Bay flounders in the basement of the conference while mired in quarterback controversy and coaching uncertainty.

Imagine.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
There is a big chance the offense is this bad many times throughout the season. There is no chance the defense gets carved up that badly every week. A handful of QBs and WRs on the schedule can do it but the Packers will be fine and win 11/12 games or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There is a big chance the offense is this bad many times throughout the season. There is no chance the defense gets carved up that badly every week. A handful of QBs and WRs on the schedule can do it but the Packers will be fine and win 11/12 games or so.

yo!

I was just listening to local sports radio here in GB and a dude called in to complain that the new OC was on the sidelines instead of the booth and I was wondering how you could type and talk and talk at the same time!