Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Quite A Tool posted:

Semi-related I’m currently on the hunt for a cheap Sportster because while I adore the Monster, I need something to putter around town on because while I knew it was gonna be kinda dumb I’m starting to get tired of being stuck in 2nd gear all day every day around my part of Seattle.
I found it so worth it to get an underpowered bike around my area. I had to sell recently due to my inability to keep up with my bikes due to hip problems, back problems, and negligence but a few years ago I bought an '82 Yamaha Maxim 650. 5 gears of fury. That thing just loved cruising between 40-60mph and it made me not even hate traffic on side roads. I already had a 2006 Katana 750 which is like a big heavy pig but that thing was great on the highway. Big foam seat, comfy riding position and enough power to cruise 80-90mph like it was nothing on the highway but it was kind of big and piggish cruising around town. As they say it's more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My memory of riding in AZ is that they carve these divots between lanes as part of the lane markings. I wonder how well that’s going to mix with filtering.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The weather cooled off this week and it's been my absolute favorite type of days for riding, cool and breezy and slightly overcast with soft rains at night, and my bike's been chained to my house the whole time cause I've been stuck in my bedroom since labor day with fuckin covid

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
bout to lose my drat mind with this exhaust. It was quiet for like 10-15 minutes this morning, then I heard something blow out, on the right hand pipe, again, and it got super poppy and loud on that side. Pulled over to check it out, baffle is still in there.

It's still quieter than it was last week with no baffles at all, but the sound isn't nearly as good as it was when both sides were brand new. I have no idea where to even start with this

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Could it be your bike is not running quite right, dumping too much unburnt/half burnt fuel into the exhaust, which eventually pops and might damage the exhaust baffles?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Highly probable but I don't know how to diagnose that. There's definitely something going on with #2 and has been the whole time I've had the bike, the first sign being oil blowback around the right side air filter and then eventually ejecting part of the baffle from the right hand pipe of original exhaust system.

Even after the fuelling system settled down with the baffles out last week, the right side definitely burbled more than the left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't this an injected bike? Has it got an O2 sensor per cylinder?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It is efi, but only has one sensor in the balance pipe.

Notably the 2020 update does have a dedicated sensor for each cylinder.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would check the plugs, check for vacuum leaks on the bad cylinder, check clearances, get rid of any emissions stuff if possible like PAIR etc

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bleh. I'll have to make time on Sunday to start looking into it. In the meantime the drat thing got even louder today, it sounds like the baffle isn't even there it's growling so much on the right side. Thanks for giving me a starting point at least.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Header pipe tight against the cylinder?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Header pipe tight against the cylinder?

Good point, worth checking if the exhaust is physically all still holding together and not leaking like mad

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I just bought a new Harley at my local dealership and it was weird.

quote:

Every one of the staff was congratulating me on my purchase. After I signed the final papers they had me walking back out the exit of the large building (I was the only customer besides the staff there at this time) and the general manager salesman went over the intercom to the rest of the building and the staff announcing my purchase and my name as they ran disco lights, smoke machines, and forced cheers as they had me ring an overhead bell. It was the strangest experience I have had purchasing a vehicle, and it was eerie, and it felt like maybe I was making a mistake with all this odd showmanship they were putting on. It's my first bike, a Softail Street Bob. I understand Harley Davidson is more aesthetic than substance in some ways but man did it have this hollow celebratory feel to the whole ordeal. I almost wish they just took my money and shook my hand and be done with it. Anyway I got a new bike now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's my first bike, a Softail Street Bob

They are celebrating the future insurance repairs they'll get to do

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's my first bike, a Softail Street Bob

They are celebrating the future insurance repairs they'll get to do

But it's ~ the lightest weight Bob ~

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

I just bought a new Harley at my local dealership and it was weird.

This is not an exaggeration. When I bought a Harley at Boston Harley Davidson, they did all the same poo poo, then took a picture of me with the bike in front of the dealership, and sent it to me in a frame with a "certificate of ownership." Ringing the "I just beat cancer" bell was the weirdest fuckin part though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I had part of this experience buying a Yamaha at a multi-brand dealership in a rural county. Here's your dealership-branded cheapo folding knife, pose next to your bike for a picture, every employee on the sales floor waiting to shake your hand as you leave. The picture only went on their FB page and was not framed and sent to me, but overall the whole thing was still odd.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The whole thing sounds so loving weird and awkward and I think if it were me I think I'd just say no thanks, grab the keys, gtfo of there and never come back.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Uhhh yeah no pictures of me on some random's phone from some random dealership, what the christ. And I'm sure as poo poo not hand shaking 20 people now or ever.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I bought my bike right at closing time and was waiting for parts to take it home, so I managed to miss out on the whole “ring the giant bell, welcome to HOG” experience.

I couldn’t have planned it better if I tried.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've only ever bought used, problem solved!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

I've only ever bought used, problem solved!

And never ever from a dealer. Still don't know why people go there. None of the reasons given have ever convinced me.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

never have to deal with PO “fixes”

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

And never ever from a dealer. Still don't know why people go there. None of the reasons given have ever convinced me.

Sometimes they're the only one with bike you want :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

never have to deal with PO “fixes”

Right but you're equating dealer with buying new, why would you want a used bike from there?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
In my case it was because the dealers were the only ones who could give me a temporary plate and registration while our DMV system was closed.

And they did end up fixing a problem with the bike I hadn't noticed on the lot for free. #notalldealers

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
This was the one and only time I've ever bought a new bike. Leftover from previous model year, 1k cheaper than what I could find a used model for within 200 miles, and Yamaha was running a 6 months same as cash promo so I held onto most of my money for a few extra months and then paid it off before any interest kicked in.

Buying used from private sellers in cash is how I've bought every single other one of my bikes, but this happened to be a good deal so I took it. Ended up getting a little weird.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

2015 Yamaha yzf-r1

I hate to sell her but I’m getting deployed next year so she won’t get ridden. It’s got 14xxx miles right now I’m gonna still ride it so it’s going to go up. About due for the 15k miles maintenance. I’ve only put about 5k miles on it and about to do the second oil change. Just had tires replaced less than 1k miles ago Dunlop gpr 300s. Lots of aftermarket parts don’t know specifics on some of em because previous owners installed them. I’ll include a picture of the list. Also one of the downsides is the side fairings flew off and a couple other pieces . Hoping to have that replaced before sale. Also previous owner dropped the bike . Half dollar size abrasion on side of gas tank. Easy fix but I just haven’t done it yet. Not super noticeable. Only reason for price is because that’s what I owe on it. Will continue to drop as I make monthly payments. Dm me for more info happy to answer any questions.

$11,600

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

Will continue to drop

I bet ya will

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

2015 Yamaha yzf-r1
Sir, this is a Wendy's drive thru

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Those dastardly Yamaha fairings. Always flying off willy nilly.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Things that are asymmetrical and/or misaligned bother me a lot. Basically every bike I’ve owned, I can detect/feel the handlebars being even slightly out of alignment, and it drives me crazy, but I often can’t actually see it visually. Sometimes it’s only detectable when in motion, in a straight line, when the wheels are perfectly parallel, so I can’t just easily measure something in the garage. I’ve spent untold hours over the years undoing and redoing triple tree pinch bolts and front axle bolts. I usually eventually get things perfectly aligned, but if I were less dumb I’m sure I could easily ignore it most of the time. I’m also starting to suspect that perhaps one of my arms is just longer than the other, and that’s what’s actually wrong :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remember when I said companies with a marketing model of being cutting edge are running out of real things for the engineers to do and so must invent bullshit things?

BMW file retractable indicator patent

Some hilarious lines in there about how removing the indicators is 'complex' and such.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Some hilarious lines in there about how removing the indicators is 'complex'

well, for a BMW owner...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Before: I fell over on the trail and my indicator lens broke!

After: I fell over on the trail and my indicator retraction system broke!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

But the shattered parts you'll be gluing back together will be retained for later, snug as bugs in a cozy dedicated space for turn signals that other bikes don't require have :smuggo:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went in for my indicator gear retraction mechanism fluid change like the service schedule says, but they found a wad of metal shavings in the magnetic drain plug so now the bike’s with BMW waiting on parts from Germany.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

I went in for my indicator gear retraction mechanism fluid change like the service schedule says, but they found a wad of metal shavings in the magnetic drain plug indicator gear retraction mechanism so now the bike’s with BMW waiting on parts from Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Got passed really close to the edge of the track on the outside line on a straight at a track day, I tried to find the guy afterwards to ask what the deal was but couldn't remember who it was other than an Astars jacket with red and white on it which didn't narrow it down enough. I was going to ask a coach to make sure I didn't do something wrong but I got distracted by repair attempts that ended the day early for me. Since I have low self esteem I always assume I hosed up but looking back at it I don't think I did anything wrong? This is C (beginner) group, I was flogging it to try to chase the rider ahead of me, but I'm on a 400 and usually fall behind in the straights so am used to getting passed. I always try to smoothly make my way over to the far outside to set up the next turn and let the bigger bikes around. The organization rules for C are polite passing on straights, no passing in corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c6GA9Ck4q0