Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeh, iOS 15.7 actually appears first, but "Also available -> iOS 16" shows up at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What's the build number on release 16?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I downloaded 15.7 before I noticed that it was the wrong thing. :argh:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah terrible UX decision, why are they implicitly recommending users download 15.7 first? Dumb waste of time for millions of people at scale lol.

Anyways 16 is pending for me now. Do other users need to be on 16 for iMessage deletes to work?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

withak posted:

I downloaded 15.7 before I noticed that it was the wrong thing. :argh:

I did too :argh: :respek: :argh:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

Do other users need to be on 16 for iMessage deletes to work?

iOS16 is required on all endpoints.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AT&T people - when you upload your ID to prove you're an actual person who wants a new phone, does it always take forever for them to update the order status page saying they'll cancel your order unless you comply within 24 hours? I did it on Friday minutes after I got the email/text, and it's still saying it today. If I click the link again it says it's already been done, is it too much work for them to update the page to say it's been received and just waiting to be validated? Hell the order doesn't even appear on my existing AT&T account for my fiber.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can't agree to the new app store terms and conditions so no updating apps for now I guess. It just gives a non-specific error.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Soul Glo posted:

How do you leave the beta program?
Just delete the beta profile. (3 posts up.)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Stare-Out posted:

Can't agree to the new app store terms and conditions so no updating apps for now I guess. It just gives a non-specific error.

Same here man. Try again later right? Can't install new apps either, wanted to install Privacy.com :)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can someone give me the bullet points for iOS 16 features?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

- Cool new Lock Screen
- Doggos can be cut from photos automatically
- iMessages continue beating Google in features which makes them sad and angry

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Updated an 11 and got back about 1.5 GB of free space as opposed to before, good job Tim and Hair Force One.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Stare-Out posted:

Same server as the os download services so it's getting slammed. Wait a few hours.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RandolphCarter posted:

haptic keyboard, baybeeeee

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Cool new Lock Screen
- Doggos can be cut from photos automatically
- iMessages continue beating Google in features which makes them sad and angry

Cool, thanks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently notifications will now appear at the bottom of the screen instead of the top when you’re at the lock screen. Imo they really should have a ton more stuff controllable from the bottom of the screen. It’s a pain to swipe down for the control center and other things like it. If every UI element was at the bottom of the screen you could actually use the phone with just one hand.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RandolphCarter posted:

I think this was what was displayed in 4pt font during the update on my phone.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-16/features/

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

haptic keyboard, baybeeeee

It's really nice, and the photo object cutting thing is kind of unbelievable. And having my lock screen be a basic version of the weather app (with a dynamic background!) is awesome.

SlowBloke posted:

Same server as the os download services so it's getting slammed. Wait a few hours.

Yeah I figured as much.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Haptic keyboard feels pretty good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Copy/pasting objects from photos is wild

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
New Chad way to hang up the phone just dropped.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Do note that copy and pasting cats is inferior to doggos and it’s a shame they added the ability to cut and paste cats.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I guess it was naive of me to think this would be paired with Maps supporting cycling directions in more cities beyond a relatively short list. I’m not sure why that seems to be moving at a glacial pace.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you paste objects into other photos? Or just messages?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can you paste objects into other photos? Or just messages?

You can't paste into photos, just out of photos. I tried it and it's wild! Works very well. Edge detection isn't gonna be perfect but it's a LOT faster than any other software right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Do note that copy and pasting cats is inferior to doggos and it’s a shame they added the ability to cut and paste cats.

i'm sorry you are broken and wrong

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The autocutout stuff is wild, although it does seem to lose the transparency when copying and pasting into a different app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When do iPads get iOS16?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arivia posted:

i'm sorry you are broken and wrong

Turn your monitor on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shofixti posted:

I guess it was naive of me to think this would be paired with Maps supporting cycling directions in more cities beyond a relatively short list. I’m not sure why that seems to be moving at a glacial pace.

Most map providers I know of don't discriminate on road types beyond standard or off-road so cycling roads are usually a manual recon job. It's going to take time.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
There's a new default video player with iOS 16 that puts the playback controls in the middle of the screen like youtube and gets rid of the little grabber icon on the playback and volume sliders. I don't love the change but it's more than made up for with the new gesture-based playback controls, which allows you to just swipe back and forth anywhere on the screen in order to go backwards and forwards. It rocks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shofixti posted:

Apple Maps outside of America is horrid, including in major cities like Venezia. I wouldn’t trust Apple Maps at all and it’s a shame that google maps doesn’t have solid integration with the Apple Watch. :smith:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

When do iPads get iOS16?

iPadOS and macOS have been delayed TBA. I think this has been the case for a couple years now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

iPadOS and macOS have been delayed TBA. I think this has been the case for a couple years now.

Ah ok thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

George Kansas posted:

There's a new default video player with iOS 16 that puts the playback controls in the middle of the screen like youtube and gets rid of the little grabber icon on the playback and volume sliders. I don't love the change but it's more than made up for with the new gesture-based playback controls, which allows you to just swipe back and forth anywhere on the screen in order to go backwards and forwards. It rocks.

I dislike these gesture-based controls because it makes it significantly harder to just grab the iDevice and reposition it if you're shifting in bed or something without messing with your playback.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok thanks!

I would guess some time in October.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

withak posted:

Haptic keyboard feels pretty good.

Is there a setting for this? I don't think I feel any difference between before and after on my 12 pro.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It's a setting in sound and haptics under keyboard feedback.