Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

There is a min-maxing rpg gamer mindset that only looks at the final build,

like as a very specific example, in Baldurs Gate the sorcerer class has to pick their spells on level up and can ONLY cast those spells, there's no option to unlearn one and replace it. So there's the spell Sleep that will absolutely carry you through the first half of baldurs gate 1 but after that it becomes almost worthless for the rest of the game and the rest of the baldurs gate trilogy

So the brainiacs will tell you to skip it because it doesn't scale well and ends up taking up a valuable spell slot . But i, also a brainiac, know that the endgame is but a fraction of your total playtime

Also see Fire Emblem, where almost every game gives you an earlygame crutch unit people used to tell you not to use because their stats were bad for a level 21 character, without realizing that you should just use them anyway over the other crappy units you weren’t taking to endgame and use them to feed kills to weaker characters.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Last Celebration posted:

Also see Fire Emblem, where almost every game gives you an earlygame crutch unit people used to tell you not to use because their stats were bad for a level 21 character, without realizing that you should just use them anyway over the other crappy units you weren’t taking to endgame and use them to feed kills to weaker characters.

Hell, most of those characters are mostly valid to use when you get them, and in some cases (Pent, Seth, most prepromotes in Fates) are better than your otyer units.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

There is a min-maxing rpg gamer mindset that only looks at the final build,

like as a very specific example, in Baldurs Gate the sorcerer class has to pick their spells on level up and can ONLY cast those spells, there's no option to unlearn one and replace it. So there's the spell Sleep that will absolutely carry you through the first half of baldurs gate 1 but after that it becomes almost worthless for the rest of the game and the rest of the baldurs gate trilogy

So the brainiacs will tell you to skip it because it doesn't scale well and ends up taking up a valuable spell slot . But i, also a brainiac, know that the endgame is but a fraction of your total playtime

similar to quoting top HP/torque numbers for vehicle engines- gotta look at the RPM curve man

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

The queen refused to work a day in her life and lived entirely off her parents' money: Nintendo is merely paying respects to the Ultimate Gamer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

ChickenMedium posted:

The queen refused to work a day in her life and lived entirely off her parents' money: Nintendo is merely paying respects to the Ultimate Gamer.

lmao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When I got to the final boss in FFX and the music started, I did NOT expect it to be a death metal song. One of the rare tuneful ones, even! (note, last time I listened to death metal was in the 90's, maybe it's more tuneful now!. I also liked the black mages version of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this is almost assuredly going to be something diablo immortal-esque where you pay for the privilege of unlocking a bonus loot roll, since it manages to circumvent the current definition of "lootbox" in whatever districts actually give a poo poo about predatory MTX

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Soul Hackers 2 has been a lot of fun so far. I'm about to head into the subway, but I've been catching up with sidequests and doing Axis exploration. The combat seems much more simplified than other SMT games, but I've been enjoying it, and I'm really liking the characters. Ringo owns, and I love her glowy jacket.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vermain posted:

this is almost assuredly going to be something diablo immortal-esque where you pay for the privilege of unlocking a bonus loot roll, since it manages to circumvent the current definition of "lootbox" in whatever districts actually give a poo poo about predatory MTX

It's because the game has an NFT marketplace and the ESRB is classing it as real gambling

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Sankara took one look at the Nintendo Entertainment System before he was murdered and knew it was bad vibes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I don't think he said that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SvR09:

John Cena is ridiculously broken in this game. I'm winning matches in about 45 seconds

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

SvR09:

John Cena is ridiculously broken in this game. I'm winning matches in about 45 seconds

Beat the Clock Challenge

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Lootboxes do not typically count as real money gambling to the ESRB. Naturally, since they are controlled by the game industry and the biggest wallets there love lootboxes.

It's the ability to actually cash NFTs out for real world money that makes the difference to them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rarity posted:

SvR09:

I created a wrestler that looked like me in that game and made a finisher that was 7 kicks to the groin followed by a code breaker.

Played online once, had some dude from Puerto Rico use my own finisher against me while we were on the top of a hell in the cell cage, and it hosed me up so bad I fell off the edge.

I have never, in my entire life, been so thoroughly and completely owned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not sure how real this is but I liked the idea that if Timmy's NFT somehow skyrockets in value and can be cashed out it might unexpectedly stick his family with a big rear end tax bill lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shinjobi posted:

I have never, in my entire life, been so thoroughly and completely owned.

Untrue, I've seen your posts

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:flame:

Edit: me on the left

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I GET A SPECIAL WRESTLEMANIA ENTRANCE :supaburn:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Rarity posted:

SvR09:

What did you expect when he can hit the ring with the strength of 1000 men, lightning shooting from his rear end?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was watching a video on youtube of someone painting a really ugly doll and they pull out the doll's certificate of authenticity. Please check out this 30 second clip showing the certificate off.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLQvj4s-O5GBhqolFWER0k830w-c7-7yO

lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How many points do i get for remarking that it looks more like a gameboy cartridge?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Itsa me, Mournio

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

How many points do i get for remarking that it looks more like a gameboy cartridge?

you actually lose points for this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Super Queen Killers 4 confirmed delayed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1569360893871329283?s=20&t=pwtxiQV7X6PjeE6DpsyIsQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1569445831614369793?s=20&t=pfUNVnCulP14NBdq56GVmQ

Waiting for word from Playstation UK

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We just need Microsoft to do something and it’ll be E3 in September

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Itsa me, Mournio

No he manages AS Roma now

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1569364774999179265?s=20&t=v3pFMXeQ9ikz_s7YQZPAKQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1569447501190823937?s=20&t=pfUNVnCulP14NBdq56GVmQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Will they announce a new game for the PS5?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Will they announce a new game for the PS5?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the toukiden games aren't bad but they aren't on par with monster hunter. same is true of god eater and i assume dauntless.

i'm not sure what angle i would expect them to come at the genre with to unseat monster hunter. i would hope it would be something like 'try to capture the depth while paring away a lot of the cruft that MH still has on it' but i assume it will mean 'GaaS and also about 30-40% hornier'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

the toukiden games aren't bad but they aren't on par with monster hunter. same is true of god eater and i assume dauntless.

Read this like four times fore I realized Toukiden is not Tokimeki