Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

They are just called cans. These are the plug in version of cans used in recessed ceiling lighting. Put them in corners or behind artsy stuff maybe?

Yes good idea. This seems to be the standard application for these, according to this Architectural Digest article that I later found.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/uplights-lighting-revival-interior-design

quote:

I can’t think of the last time anybody mentioned the allure of uplights, which were actually invented in 1949 by Harry Gitlin, a Manhattan lighting designer. Nothing says ’70s to me like warm light mysteriously emerging from behind a table, cabinet, or potted plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I am trying to put up curtains for my living room, but I am confused about if I should have one long rod that extends across both windows, or if each window should have its own rods. I tried to make a little mock up on MS Paint. Each window is about 40 inches wide. What are my best options for installing curtains?

The part of the room that is to the left of the door is where our dining table sits, whereas the right of the door is our living room with our couch and coffee table. I am confused about how many panels and rods I should have per each window.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Any panel will create a dividing line so it's up to you if we want to make the two windows "one window" or divide the space. It depends on the distance between the two windows but if they're that close you can prob get away with a long rod holding 4 panels since they sound smaller.

Also floor to ceiling panels will make the room look taller and more luxe.

But also look into shades instead of panels. It's really up to the look and light blockage you want.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone make rugs that are circular, between 42-54" in diameter? Or irregular with similar dimensions. safavieh has a few but the materials look pretty cheap and I didn't like the appearance. It's for an area between my bedroom and bathroom, right now there's just an ikea rug because that's literally all I could find that fit. It's around 51" in diameter. If you go beyond 54" it extends into the hallway which looks weird.

I would love something like this but not in omg huge size

https://www.roche-bobois.com/en-US/product/empreinte-rug/3827_set.html

DWR does have one irregular one, which in shape C might work

https://www.dwr.com/rug-type-area-rug/faces-rug%2C-shape-c/2535779-3.html?lang=en_US

kreeningsons posted:

Yes good idea. This seems to be the standard application for these, according to this Architectural Digest article that I later found.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/uplights-lighting-revival-interior-design

yes, that's actually what I have, though in a much taller version

http://pablodesigns.com/product/elise

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 2, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm designing a piece based on something my wife saw in a design store but was priced out of reach.

It's simple overall, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how the lighting works, both in color and effect. I suppose this is why they're charging $$$$ for the piece.

For the rest of the work, I've got some rudimentary woodworking skills. I'll find someone with better tools to cut the circle, and will use hand tools for the dowls, 1x1s, and 1x2s. I'll hand stain everything and then join the wood with wood glue. Am I missing anything important?

Any advice on how to get the lighting effect?

e: I've investigated LED strip lighting and was quoted 235 for 10 LF of RGB that would have a "hard time getting that specific color". I know DIY LED is maybe more affordable, but I'm a simple landscaper and not handy with a soldering iron. I've also considered neon, although I doubt I could achieve the dusty rose color.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 3, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That is a pinkish LED and not just white reflecting off a dusty rose wall? Huh.

I've got no advice, this just reminds me that I've see the opposite done where a colored glass table top or similar is back lit with LEDs to make a fake rosette window.

Edit: I'm assuming with the wood piece there has something in the middle to raise it off the wall slightly with a line of LEDs around the back edge pointed at the wall. The LEDs would be recessed enough on the back that the outside diameter would hide them. If none of this makes sense I can draw a thing in mspaint like way later tonight.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something like this and then use your phone to dial in the exact color you want?

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-in/products/smart-lightstrips

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Turbinosamente posted:

That is a pinkish LED and not just white reflecting off a dusty rose wall? Huh.

I've got no advice, this just reminds me that I've see the opposite done where a colored glass table top or similar is back lit with LEDs to make a fake rosette window.

Edit: I'm assuming with the wood piece there has something in the middle to raise it off the wall slightly with a line of LEDs around the back edge pointed at the wall. The LEDs would be recessed enough on the back that the outside diameter would hide them. If none of this makes sense I can draw a thing in mspaint like way later tonight.

I actually never considered it might be white reflecting on the paint. D'oh!

I think you're right about the construction -- I drew this in ACAD earlier to send to the fabricator.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LED strips tend to be self-adhesive. Instead of trying to mount the LEDs in a curved circle (because they don't really like to bend sideways), I would put a smaller cylinder on the back and wrap the LEDs around the face of that so they are pointing out. You'll also need to leave room for the control box and power and whatever.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That's about what I would have drawn. I might consider a shallow edge around the outside diameter, making it like a tray you're mounting backwards to the wall to help direct the light back to the wall instead of out. Might have to experiment with a light inside of a bowl or a small cardboard and tape mockup to see which is the best way to point the light and how raised off the wall it should be etc.

Edit: I wonder if the back of the wood needs to be painted white to assist light reflection? I'm probably over thinking it at this point.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 3, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: I wonder if the back of the wood needs to be painted white to assist light reflection? I'm probably over thinking it at this point.

Yes, I paint things like this fairly often and you want to make the back surface white. I suppose you could make it pink and get a little reflected color but it’s best not to leave it bare wood because it’ll show up. It’s not dramatic but in some scenarios like TV/film it’s a big deal.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you paint the back of the wood a shiny pink-red color some of that will get reflected in the white led light.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Seems like you're on the right track overall here. I have one piece of advice about the aesthetics -
Make test pieces for both the LED-painted surface thing, and for the wood parts if you intended to stain and finish them. Wood stain can be a huge bitch to get looking good let alone like you want, and the only real way to figure out the right way is trial and error. Hop over to the woodworking thread for in depth woodchat!

Looks like a fun project.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks for the advice, all -- I'll work out some mockups for light and others for stain / color tests. I have about 5 weeks to get it done, but not so much time to do it in secret. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From randomwaffle.gbs.fm:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Thanks for the advice, all -- I'll work out some mockups for light and others for stain / color tests. I have about 5 weeks to get it done, but not so much time to do it in secret. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew :)

If you want the wood grain to not get washed out (and particularly if you're using hardwood) I'd go for dye instead of stain (or you can get it premixed as "dye stain") since it will actually get into the wood instead of sitting on top of it like translucent paint.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, I could use some help choosing a color for some furniture (sorta). My condo has this nice little deck with the main room looking straight at it, so anything out there affects the look of the interior too. I have this table I use regularly out there.

Unfortunately most of the year it looks like this:

I've been meaning to replace the green cover for awhile now and get rid of the gross but effective plastic cover. I haven't been able to find anything premade that was the right combo of durable, waterproof, and the right size. Instead, I'm planning on making my own from marine fabric: https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-Sunbrella-AwningMarine-2995-linear-yard--Standard-Tweed-Colors-_p_23.html

I've worked with this material before so I'm confident I can do it, but I'm stuck on what color to use. In the link above there's a range of colors and I'd appreciate any guidance on what to choose. Left to my own (bad) taste I'd go with the "linen" color.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What color are the walls/rugs in the room? I think you'd want to coordinate with that. Otherwise I think I would go darker than the linen, maybe the walnut brown tweed, so it doesn't stand out as much against the dark balcony walls/railings.

If you could stain the deck a darker/greyer color to more closely match the interior floor or the exterior gray on the balcony walls I think that would look much better and the pretty wood of your table would stand out more.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Thinking of pulling the trigger on this rocker+ottoman, but hesitant as it looks like they consider all furniture purchases final sale only and non-returnable. Anyone have experience with this site or suggestions.

https://www.madetrade.com/products/masaya-co-wood-pattern-manila-ottoman-san-geronimo

e: Did some google searching and looks like I can order this direct from manufacturer who actually does have a return policy: https://www.masayacompany.com

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 9, 2022

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Bathroom reno recently completed, sharing with the internet because I'm super happy with how it turned out

For context, this part of the house was built in 1910, we know that because we found newspapers from then stuffed into the floor as insulation.

Before:

After:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Like the floor tile, paint, and metal accents.

Only real complaint is that I wish the wood color and style of the vanity and cabinet matched the trim.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Looks beautiful. I love the combo of the forest green, gold hardware, and old school black and white tile.

......you did find a new home for the awesome clawfoot tub, right? And didn't, like, saw it up for easier extraction? :ohdear:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Cornuto posted:

Like the floor tile, paint, and metal accents.

Only real complaint is that I wish the wood color and style of the vanity and cabinet matched the trim.

Same! But finding something that looked good but also matched was... well yeah. At least they pair together.

Queen Victorian posted:

Looks beautiful. I love the combo of the forest green, gold hardware, and old school black and white tile.

......you did find a new home for the awesome clawfoot tub, right? And didn't, like, saw it up for easier extraction? :ohdear:

:ohdear:

we uhhh... kept the feet.

In our defence, this bathroom is upstairs and there was no safe way to get it down, the stairwell also has a 100+ year old stained glass window we didn't want to risk, let alone accidentally smashing a wall.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Your floor joists intact?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Your floor joists intact?

I'm glad you asked! They did actually reinforce one of the joists, as it had previously had some large holes cut in it for pipes.

Also, the floor was full of dirt. Now this is an upstairs room, but it's overhanging the entrance to the house, so below the floor was essentially empty space and outside. So 2 walls and the floor were exterior facing.

That's only with the surface plywood removed, the insulation there was super haphazard, and mostly just dirt?!

But digging through it, we found the old newspaper, and even some original tile!

Being a really old overhanging room, where the floor was full of 4 tons of dirt, it wasn't exactly square anymore either, so they worked on flattening that.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 13, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How do the ,:females: like it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey folks! Got a furniture identification question. If this isn't the right place let me know and I'll post elsewhere!

We bought a house recently and my brother was dropping off some of my grandmother's old furniture for us to use or sell. We aren't going to use it, so we're going to sell it but I'd like to make sure I can get a good sense of its value (or non-value) first.

I'm hoping someone might have an idea or just point me to a non-SA source to start looking!

So, background is these are two pieces (Dresser and table) from my grandmother's house in the Mississippi Delta (very rural area of the state - she lived on farm land).
She did come from wealth and was wealthy herself so she was always buying stuff from all over (she was traveling overseas buying stuff constantly from the 40s on from what I cant tell... but I don't think she ever bought furniture from overseas).

I don't know the age of these and unfortunately can't find any markings or anything like that.

They may not be super old, but I'm in my 40s and they were there since before I was born for sure as I've seen them in photos from the 70s at least. And they seem older than that.

She did have a mix of *very* old furniture (a 200 year old 4 poster bed that has to be seen to believe... it's not fancy but the girth of the posts is... admirable) to stuff from the 80s.

I have no idea where these might fall on that timeline.

Images (excuse the loving casters which I'm sure my dad added in the 50s or 60s):

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

NZAmoeba posted:

Same! But finding something that looked good but also matched was... well yeah. At least they pair together.

:ohdear:

we uhhh... kept the feet.

In our defence, this bathroom is upstairs and there was no safe way to get it down, the stairwell also has a 100+ year old stained glass window we didn't want to risk, let alone accidentally smashing a wall.

:(

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

NZAmoeba posted:

Bathroom reno recently completed, sharing with the internet because I'm super happy with how it turned out

For context, this part of the house was built in 1910, we know that because we found newspapers from then stuffed into the floor as insulation.

Before:

After:

Looks great! Man that old tub location was dumb.

I should probably share pics of my bathroom Reno that I finally finished last spring..

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Hey folks! Got a furniture identification question. If this isn't the right place let me know and I'll post elsewhere!

We bought a house recently and my brother was dropping off some of my grandmother's old furniture for us to use or sell. We aren't going to use it, so we're going to sell it but I'd like to make sure I can get a good sense of its value (or non-value) first.

I'm hoping someone might have an idea or just point me to a non-SA source to start looking!

So, background is these are two pieces (Dresser and table) from my grandmother's house in the Mississippi Delta (very rural area of the state - she lived on farm land).
She did come from wealth and was wealthy herself so she was always buying stuff from all over (she was traveling overseas buying stuff constantly from the 40s on from what I cant tell... but I don't think she ever bought furniture from overseas).

I don't know the age of these and unfortunately can't find any markings or anything like that.

They may not be super old, but I'm in my 40s and they were there since before I was born for sure as I've seen them in photos from the 70s at least. And they seem older than that.

She did have a mix of *very* old furniture (a 200 year old 4 poster bed that has to be seen to believe... it's not fancy but the girth of the posts is... admirable) to stuff from the 80s.

I have no idea where these might fall on that timeline.

Images (excuse the loving casters which I'm sure my dad added in the 50s or 60s):

The style for this stuff is 'American Empire.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Empire_style, and the Grecian subset of that style. It was popular in the 1840s/50s, and there was tons of it in nice houses in the antebellum south. The dresser is more Greek Revival in style, the table is a little more neoclassical Empire. Much of it was hand made in New York in early factories where one guy made drawers all day, another guy made the cases, another guy did the veneer. If you look around real hard there may be a label. Your great great great grandmother or w/e probably bought it in Memphis or New Orleans. It's all veneered in crotch mahogany, the dresser at least is pine as a secondary wood.

As far as value, I'm not suuuper into american empire and don't really keep up with it. It's not my taste, some people do like it, but there's not a huge market for it and it's not real popular atm, especially the dresser's curvy greek revival kind of style. The dresser has some veneer missing. That's not a hard repair, but it does hurt the value. I don't know where you're located, but around here on the Gulf Coast, maybe $4-600, but you might not get that? You could list it for higher and maybe you'd get it, but I'd be surprised. That kind of stuff shows up at estate sales around here all the time for $300 and somebody buys them. If you were comfortable repairing the veneer, that would definitely help.

The table is a prettier and more interesting imo. The veneer work looks great, the octagon shape is interesting, if it didn't have the little beaded mouldings on the base it could actually look really contemporary. Does the top open up for a leaf or it is solid? If solid it was probably a library table or in an entrance hall kind of place, not really a dining table. It could look really stunning if it were refinished, and the simpler look it has is kind of Biedermeier-ish and could do well in a more contemporary or midcentury style. If it were mine and had family history to it, I'd clean it up a bit and use it as a breakfast table or something. Value wise, again idk about condition or size, I'd think maaaaybe $1000-2000 retail. That may be ambitious, but it's a good looking table and it could really be pretty if it were polished up a bit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

don't you get cold showering with that half piece of glass there? If I pulled back my curtain halfway while showering i'd be freezing

or is that some sort of heating element on the wall opposite the showerhead

was doing the zero threshold style a pain at all vs. a traditional barrier?

here's a couple pics of mine that was finished a couple months ago

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 16, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You got awfully lucky with them tiles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

You got awfully lucky with them tiles.

what do you mean

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I see how they are neatly bordering around the indented shelves in the one wall in the shower. Its pretty much impossible to predict how tiles will end up.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Clearly no engineered joists were cut in that design.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

God I wish I had that old tub

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I see how they are neatly bordering around the indented shelves in the one wall in the shower. Its pretty much impossible to predict how tiles will end up.

you mean the niche? yes it came out very well. he had been doing this for 17 years though

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'd rather be lucky than good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

actionjackson posted:

you mean the niche? yes it came out very well. he had been doing this for 17 years though

It’s a joke about beatmasterj’s sex dungeon bathroom. The tile alignment was poo poo and had awful cuts and his retort was that it’s pretty much impossible to predict where the tiles will end up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

actionjackson posted:

don't you get cold showering with that half piece of glass there? If I pulled back my curtain halfway while showering i'd be freezing

or is that some sort of heating element on the wall opposite the showerhead

was doing the zero threshold style a pain at all vs. a traditional barrier?

It's a radiator/towel rail, the heated water kind. Also the floor is (electrically) heated as well.

Right now the in-laws are the ones using it, but I'm weirdly excited to take it for a spin myself lol

Also yeah the contractor recommended we look into getting a support brace to the ceiling for the open end of the glass, which we'll do soon. I've already bumped my shoulder exiting it, so anything to restrict it from moving is probably wise.

Also we insulated the poo poo out of the room after dismantling everything/digging out the loving dirt in the floor space.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 17, 2022