Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh it's not that long. But it is long yeah it took about 13 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ranked is perfectly playable without motion controls. Don't try to force yourself into playing a game in a way that makes you actively sick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can confirm as someone who plays without motion controls.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I want a generally good gun with better range than the starting Splattershot Jr. What should I buy with my golden sheldon bux

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Novasol posted:

There are checkpoints, the level is just 20 minutes long if you don't die.

I haven’t made it past the part with the moving blocks that you have to jump across after doing the ink rail part, maybe there’s a checkpoint after that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Relyssa posted:

Ranked is perfectly playable without motion controls. Don't try to force yourself into playing a game in a way that makes you actively sick.

I agree with this, but don't be surprised if you get absolutely trounced more than a few times by all the players who are essentially mouse aiming.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bogart posted:

I want a generally good gun with better range than the starting Splattershot Jr. What should I buy with my golden sheldon bux

Splashomatic? It's fast paints far but requires accuracy. Splattershot Pro is slower but way more powerful. The .52/.94? Gallons are pretty brutal too.
I'd recommend the miniguns too, not as niche as you think and brutal in the right hands. The ballpoint is neat, and I've always appreciated the mini-splatling, even if I'm terrible with them.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I am sad that the photo mode doesn't let us pose our character in any way. Would be nice to use some of the idle inkling poses from around the hub.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Splashomatic? It's fast paints far but requires accuracy. Splattershot Pro is slower but way more powerful. The .52/.94? Gallons are pretty brutal too.
I'd recommend the miniguns too, not as niche as you think and brutal in the right hands. The ballpoint is neat, and I've always appreciated the mini-splatling, even if I'm terrible with them.

I unlocked my beloved Splattershot Pro and it's still pretty good as a gun but I just do not like it's secondary attack. I'm sure it's good for zoning but at the level I play at mostly it's just a tagging weapon that could just be a regular attack instead lol

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To be fair I’m a bucket/brella player so like this is very much far from well informed advice.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

To be fair I’m a bucket/brella player so like this is very much far from well informed advice.

I don't get the bucket, I tested it in the shop and it seemed useless. Explain it to me?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The ink from buckets does damage as it falls, so you can shoot over walls or down ledges and damage people even without direct line of sight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/thequiffisdead/status/1569334858555752451?t=m_llNsvu3-XJg9nWcfXwSw&s=19

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I see three queens?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I used one of my golden tickets for the grenade bucket and I don't know if I'm good with it exactly but I felt fresh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is this a call for a class uprising because I’m fuckin down

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm getting my best results with controls set to stick at +2 and motion at -1, and I suspect the reverse could also work. Higher stick sensitivity lets me whip around easily, and relatively low motion sensitivity lets me use that for finer aiming. Feels like a good middle ground that lets me be precise without being helpless to get someone behind me.

I found a good way to calibrate how I felt about the controls to be the blue balloon challenge in the ice world in the campaign. Requires lots of moving while shooting and turning around 180 degrees, and you can retry it a bunch.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Escobarbarian posted:

Is this a call for a class uprising because I’m fuckin down

The only crown we respect belongs to pearl.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

External Organs posted:

I don't get the bucket, I tested it in the shop and it seemed useless. Explain it to me?

Buckets are technically grenade/mortar launchers and they're a delight. I like cause they fire as fast as you can trigger and they have nice range and power, if you're a good shot, which I'm not. I'm ok with most buckets, but great with the tri-slosher which drops your range, but lets you shoot faster and with a wider spread, which makes it feel like a bad-rear end shotgun. The other variants are neat too. Sloshing machine is a heavy version of the bucket, with a slightly wider range; Blobubblers are the sniper version with very long shots that shoot stream of bouncy bubbles (too precision for me); and the exsplosher is a legit mortar. It's super cool but too slow for me.

All told they're great when the enemy has a height advantage/cover, and being rather powerful they splat nice and easy-like.

Brellas are cool too. Half-shield half shotguns. I'm not great with the heavy one and I'm ok with the regular variant, but the shield shenanigans are a bit beyond me. I love the undercoverbrella, which is an automatic shotgun with a short shield. It's a weak gun, but it can really buy time and distract enemies allowing for your team to do some bullshit. It's a fun support weapon.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I haven’t made it past the part with the moving blocks that you have to jump across after doing the ink rail part, maybe there’s a checkpoint after that?

There are checkpoints, yeah. It's just the first room/section that is without them and it is awful.

Anyway I didn't mind the final section. If nothing else it goes by quicker than the first one.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Been putting in some serious work with the dualie squelchers. They have great range which makes zoning out opponents very easy; they paint well which makes them great for turf; and they have a fantastic kit. Splat bombs are the best secondary in the game imo and the shuttlecock is fantastic for pushing an area or holding a zone. Best part is that you can also dodge roll with the dualies, which throws off most ppl and can get you out of sticky situations

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I am not good at being a squid.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Krataar posted:

I am not good at being a squid.

and a kid?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'm even worse at that, I have bills.

Seriously though are rollers just bad? I suppose its not realistic to just focus on painting as much as possible in turf but I need to be able to reliably fight people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Krataar posted:

I'm even worse at that, I have bills.

Seriously though are rollers just bad? I suppose its not realistic to just focus on painting as much as possible in turf but I need to be able to reliably fight people.

In the right hands a Roller is terrifying, but this isn't Splatoon 1 where you can win by just running over people. You need to learn to fling ink from a distance and lean on your teammates to give you an opening to punish their splats.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

crush kills are purely for swag, you're gonna do 90% of your work with flicks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah but I still have a level of PTSD from the first month of Splatoon 1 where roller players were the new satan. I also just played a splat zones match with a dynamo roller player who was just wrecking everyone's poo poo, though they also weren't inking much ground so we still won lmao.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I am really loving the .96 gal. The sprinkler is good at making folks reveal themselves, the mega move's range is absolutely huge and is good team support, and the weapon itself has great range and power and remains pretty accurate if you fire in 3-round bursts.

My only complaint is that when I kill a dualies-wielder who thinks they're defending the highground 15 seconds into a match, they disconnect, and I have to wait. (Seriously, folks who remained after a disconnection should at least get some points towards level and catalog - like, even 100 would make it feel less lovely).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm a very big fan of the carbon and flingza rollers. The dynamo takes way too long to do anything with and the regular roller feels kinda boring.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

the mud mouth glitch in salmon run is so loving funny

https://twitter.com/slogsdon/status/1569448365884338176

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

since we are all doing ad breaks for our favs, i gotta say the Tri-Stinger is perfect to me. you get great turf coverage from quick taps, decent range and great damage, and blaster-like corner capability. melee range is kind a of a no-go, though

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The dapple dualies are my number one gun, especially the nouveau set from Splatoon 2 where it had toxic mist and ink rain. Actually really linking having the jump beacons and tacticooler in this - way way less safety than the old nouveau set, but a lot better for the team.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
https://twitter.com/Squidbrolibrium/status/1569462426290253825
https://twitter.com/Squidbrolibrium/status/1569464988670246922

The Luna Blaster's kind of fun, I guess

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Do you only get the Xtra wave if the king meter is totally filled up or can it happen before that?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Luna blasters my god drat poo poo

but it doesn't really vibe with me yet. Still re-adjusting to motion controls after not having played for ages.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Relyssa posted:

Do you only get the Xtra wave if the king meter is totally filled up or can it happen before that?

I got it when the bar was at like 80% last night

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My Grizzco pay is at 95/99 of Profreshional +1. How'd I gain/lose the 5?

e: this defeat lost me 5 points instead of the expected 10. Why?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 13, 2022

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Fedule posted:

My Grizzco pay is at 95/99 of Profreshional +1. How'd I gain/lose the 5?

e: this defeat lost me 5 points instead of the expected 10. Why?

Could be that the fourth guy disconnected halfway through. Or maybe they were severely low rank or something.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

A very fun story mode. Don't forget to paint every single bit of the map to earn some stickers! (you need to get rid of all the grey 'unknown region' bits on the map, there's almost certainly a couple tiny ones around the edge unless you're specifically checking the map to clear them up)

What exactly is supposed to happen here? Which is to say, I think I've uncovered everything except some seemingly un-inkable parts of world 4's submarine, and nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Muscle Tracer posted:

What exactly is supposed to happen here? Which is to say, I think I've uncovered everything except some seemingly un-inkable parts of world 4's submarine, and nothing happened.

You need to get rid of every single bit of that grey stripped 'unknown area' stuff on the map. As far as I can tell it's removed when you shoot ink in that spot, even if the terrain itself is uninkable - for the submarine specifically I remember needing to strafe the edges and spray paint into the sea to fill in all the edges.

If you're done you can go back to Marie at the base camp, she'll have an exclamation mark over her head and give you a sticker for each zone that's filled in.