Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Eh, it's not only jeeps.

or is it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Eh, it's not only jeeps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_(vehicle)
meanwhile crypto Twitter and everything has already gone nuts and basically is celebrating already.

e:fb.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ekuNNN posted:

or is it??

Lmao

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
Is that eth merge still happening? I did some searching and the results say something about Sept 13-16 by the time its completed?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i searched eth merge on twitter to see if anything has changed and the first result is a hacked verified account impersonating vitalik to run a scam giveaway

never change, crypto

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I don't like this Skyrim quest

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

or is it??

:golfclap: was the only response I would have hoped for. :five:

I decided to Google crypto ethics and drat, everything in a nice article for the most part. Some parts weird. Did I walk into a reasonably neutral site or is this good/bad?

https://sevenpillarsinstitute.org/ethics-update-on-cryptocurrencies

seven pillars posted:

The banning of Bitcoin is driven by ethical issues surrounding Bitcoin being the favoured payment method for criminals. Users have reported their Bitcoins stolen due to hacking. These issues potentially infringe consumer’s rights, including those from low-income countries. Cryptocurrencies pose significant ethical challenges in regards to their use in illicit activities. However, the ethics concerns arise from the lack of regulations, not from blockchain technology per se. Also, these challenges do not outweigh cryptocurrencies’ promises of significantly improving the quality of life for the world’s most destitute.

bold = ????

&

same source posted:

Lastly, the price volatility and the insecurity about future performance rules out Bitcoin taking over the function of the store of value and the medium of deferred payments which both require (expected) long term stability.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I saw a different chart that had the batmobile and the killdozer, I like this has an Angle and a Ukrainian

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It begins

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 11, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I understand I wouldnt want a beat to hell gpu.

But does that mean I at some point people can get GPU's?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

I understand I wouldnt want a beat to hell gpu.

But does that mean I at some point people can get GPU's?

GPU prices are pretty decent at the moment.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have a gtx 650i

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

I have a gtx 650i

There's a 3090 in samart for 1000, i reckon you could get him closer to 900

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Don't buy a 3090. You can get 95% of the way there with a 3080 12GB for $700 (at Lenovo's store, with the coupon codes "EXTRA5" and "LABDAY2022"). Or you can just buy a 3060 Ti or 3070 for $400/$500 like a sensible person (the Founders Editions keep showing up at Best Buy). Prices have been falling pretty much continuously for the last several months, and they'll continue to drop, possibly more rapidly than before with the upcoming mining card sell-off and new card releases.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 11, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I m confused with Ethereum merg, how does the merg stop the use of gpu mining.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ups_rail posted:

because it will be a new version of the protocol with new rules. they will use a different means of generating ethereum (by "staking").

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Ups_rail posted:

As of right now people who have the most money (to buy GPUs and electricity) get the most Ethereum. They are switching to a system that simply gives those with the most money the most Ethereum, effectively skipping the middleman.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

raverrn posted:

As of right now people who have the most money (to buy GPUs and electricity) get the most Ethereum. They are switching to a system that simply gives those with the most money the most Ethereum, effectively skipping the middleman.

Ethereum: controlled by the same decentralized centralized people since the beginning. "Still decentralized" to fight off the you know, evils of centralization.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its a Centrifugal system and its better than those bad Centripetal systems.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I just bought my nephew a 2060 for 250 to replace the 970 he's had on his pc for a while now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or it could be the one with hosed ram from operating in a hothouse and a dodgy custom firmware update.

There's a price point where I'm willing to go for it, but these things are expensive enough to begin with that I just am not interested in risking a few hundred bucks on assuming a miner took good care of their equipment.

Get a used card from MSI or EVGA or one of the other brands that doesn't require proof of purchase for the warranty. Then when your "totally working" eBay card shits itself you can have the company send you a new one.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ethereum: controlled by the same decentralized centralized people since the beginning. "Still decentralized" to fight off the you know, evils of centralization.

David Rosenthal blog last entry is a compilation of publication regarding crypto myths, and articles 2 and 3 are shotgun ammos on crypto decentralization :
https://blog.dshr.org/2022/09/impossibilities.html

Picardy Beet fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 12, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

raverrn posted:

There is a slight difference in the people that will run it, because most GPU mines aren't 100% crypto focused, since they need to actually pay for hardware and electricity. A lot of them probably won't have the Eth required for staking, since they operate mostly with actual money.

The people who actually will win on this are the big holders, NFT owners, people who bought millions of Eth during its launch etc, so there will be a somewhat change in control.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doubt the NFT holders will win. They just have apes and you can’t stake with those, regardless of their nominal “””value..”””

Now the people who sold links to lovely jpegs for eth? Those people might be well situated for this.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ups_rail posted:

So right now, Ethereum is using the same "Proof of Work" GPU mining thing BitCoin does; it's the "Idling your car produces solved Sudokus you can sell for internet funbux" method. ETH has been saying for years (and may actually do it this time!) that they want to move over to a system called Proof of Stake.

Proof of Work works by trying to figure out the math problem that produces a specific solution when the contents of a block are put into it (that's where the "block" of blockchain comes from, as well as the "Crypto" of cryptocoin: the method used is a one-way-hashing algorithm, one of the basic concepts of Cryptography as a useful science); since it's one-way, you can't just back up from the solution to get the formula given the inputs; you have to basically just guess. That's basically what all those GPUs are doing all day, every day, until they explode: trying to guess the hashing algo that will spit out a number.

Proof of Stake works differently: rather than trying to guess a number, you tell the network "I'm willing to burn X eth", meaning they get pulled completely from circulation and can never be used again for anything else; in exchange, you get an X/eth_pool_size chance of being the validator for a block and therefore being awarded the newly generated eth.

Obviously, the flaws in this (both logistical, such as "Coins cannot be destaked", and ethical, such as "doesn't this just reward people who have money with more money?") are either intentional or assumed to not be a problem and, in fact, Good for Coins.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Neito posted:

So right now, Ethereum is using the same "Proof of Work" GPU mining thing BitCoin does; it's the "Idling your car produces solved Sudokus you can sell for internet funbux" method. ETH has been saying for years (and may actually do it this time!) that they want to move over to a system called Proof of Stake.

Proof of Work works by trying to figure out the math problem that produces a specific solution when the contents of a block are put into it (that's where the "block" of blockchain comes from, as well as the "Crypto" of cryptocoin: the method used is a one-way-hashing algorithm, one of the basic concepts of Cryptography as a useful science); since it's one-way, you can't just back up from the solution to get the formula given the inputs; you have to basically just guess. That's basically what all those GPUs are doing all day, every day, until they explode: trying to guess the hashing algo that will spit out a number.

Proof of Stake works differently: rather than trying to guess a number, you tell the network "I'm willing to burn X eth", meaning they get pulled completely from circulation and can never be used again for anything else; in exchange, you get an X/eth_pool_size chance of being the validator for a block and therefore being awarded the newly generated eth.

Obviously, the flaws in this (both logistical, such as "Coins cannot be destaked", and ethical, such as "doesn't this just reward people who have money with more money?") are either intentional or assumed to not be a problem and, in fact, Good for Coins.

Hey guys we changed the ToS for bitcoin, we now get to keep all of your money but here's the fun part, we haven't stopped you from continuing to give us more money!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Peethereum

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dumb question but does the magical doomsday spell of 50+% attack/thing exists, like what stops all the biggest players from just getting into a static stasis the instant this is implemented?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

dumb question but does the magical doomsday spell of 50+% attack/thing exists, like what stops all the biggest players from just getting into a static stasis the instant this is implemented?

Yes, and nothing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Neito posted:

PoW is less “idling your car” and more “running full throttle”.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Neito posted:

Yes, and nothing.

Well, to be fair on the second point, there "is" something there to prevent it in the sense that validators are incentivized to not gently caress with the system as it would dramatically devaluate their assets. After all, relying on actor rationality is a well-established way to provide stability.

It isn't, in case anyone would dare to read that as anything but sarcasm.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Neito posted:

this isn't quite correct. you can unstake your currency. but if you "cheat" while staking, the protocol (in theory) penalizes you by taking your currency.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

evilweasel posted:

this isn't quite correct. you can unstake your currency. but if you "cheat" while staking, the protocol (in theory) penalizes you by taking your currency.

Which, by the way, votes are in and unstaking is now cheating!

(I wish I was kidding but this is entirely possible)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
https://twitter.com/colordotmuseum/status/1569309858410774533?s=46&t=fMWMPXmAoaz7qIYcXiCPcw

It’s called rugfools. They’re making fun of you for buying their poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah but they used the hashtags #crypto and #bullish, so checkmate.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
Somehow the least ugly looking NTFs I’ve seen so far.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Aren't Color Museum these assholes that tried to become the pantone of NFTs? Without doing any research, I'm going to bet that these rugfools are structured in a way where whoever "owns" the primary color of a given NFT gets a cut out of them, and the main objective is to prop up the value of the original project.

Edit: Alright, I've wasted enough time on this.

One of the promo videos is voiced and animated, starts with "Hello everyone, I'm perfect blue", and its background color is #006597. There also happens to be a "color NFT" with the same name for #006496 https://www.color.museum/gallery/color-nft/25750. They tried to obfuscate the link in the promo material by shifting the color values by 1, but it's pathetically obvious.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 12, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

buglord posted:

Somehow the least ugly looking NTFs I’ve seen so far.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

If there's not one holding a 2 foot long purple dildo don't @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS