Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

celewign posted:

People don’t play this way? That’s how I play, switch to Winston to kill the junk rat etc.

Me, the Junkrat player: pfft WINSTON to kill the Junkrat? Lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

cosmicjim posted:

No. I slam pick hanzo all day everyday.

:(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

cosmicjim posted:

No. I slam pick hanzo all day everyday.

Hanzo has actually been very good for 6 years.
Some people still hate him, because he was trash in season 2 or so.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea that’s definitely why people talk poo poo about hanjo mains, because he was weak in season two, good thinking there chief

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

adhuin posted:

Hanzo has actually been very good for 6 years.
Some people still hate him, because he was trash in season 2 or so.

People hate him, and Widowmaker, because there will be 6000 shields in front of them and they absolutely refuse to switch.

I'm sure this is where someone will be like "uh actually Hanzo's arrows do like a trillion damage to shields" to which I say bull loving poo poo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"our sniper is useless, their sniper is unfair". Tale as old as time.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

People hate him, and Widowmaker, because there will be 6000 shields in front of them and they absolutely refuse to switch.

I'm sure this is where someone will be like "uh actually Hanzo's arrows do like a trillion damage to shields" to which I say bull loving poo poo

storm arrows melts a shield, I'd consider him a shield deterrent

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

storm arrows melts a shield, I'd consider him a shield deterrent

Then you'd think Hanzo players would be breaking the shields left and right, and yet

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I play hanzo like a tank and actually shield break, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

cosmicjim posted:

I play hanzo like a tank and actually shield break, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

when I was in gold sometimes players of all stripes would *stop firing* at the Reinhardt when he put his shield up

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is the hero unlock system OW2 is adopting pretty much the same as Apex Legends?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn, yeah it actually does sound similar, right? I only play 2 character in Apex, with two very distant alternatives I only use when it's taken :thunk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apex and overwatch are very different games

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
They are, but after playing Apex for a year so, well I totally suck at it, I think I might be able to actually aim better in overwatch.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh dear, that sounds terrible.

[edit] The 25 wins to unlock a hero post-season sounds like it really sucks for people who are bad at the game or are terrible at whatever role that hero is, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 13, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

let's take that with a grain of salt but is the idea that every season there's a new hero? how often are these seasons?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

totally gonna be consecutive

what's that new player, you wanted to try competitive? you are hereby sentenced to 200 quick play wins in the dps queue, 125 quick play wins in the support queue, and 150 quick play wins in the tank queue

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lol they will never require you to play in DPS queue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

let's take that with a grain of salt but is the idea that every season there's a new hero? how often are these seasons?

I think they mentioned seasons last 9 weeks?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That doesn't actually sound that bad.

Worst part is no competitive for two weeks each season.
I don't want to play just with casual idiots. I want to play with angry idiots too.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The Apex BP isn't that hard to clear if you do the daily challenges and hit most of the big weekly ones. I haven't played CoD/Warzone since like 2020 but I remember their BP was way more brutal and I played a lot of CoD. You pretty much had to playing BR the most and hitting Top 5 consistently to make decent pace on the bar. I don't think I ever finished a season, I'd be completely burned out around lvl 50-70.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tokubetsu posted:

The Apex BP isn't that hard to clear if you do the daily challenges and hit most of the big weekly ones. I haven't played CoD/Warzone since like 2020 but I remember their BP was way more brutal and I played a lot of CoD. You pretty much had to playing BR the most and hitting Top 5 consistently to make decent pace on the bar. I don't think I ever finished a season, I'd be completely burned out around lvl 50-70.

I only ever finished one when they did the double XP weekends multiple times.

So far Fortnite has had the most generous BP completion rate that I've seen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

So far Fortnite has had the most generous BP completion rate that I've seen.

I used to say that till they nerfed xp and introduced the 20 level skip for $$

It used to be pretty easy to get all 200 levels but once they did those two things it became a humongous grind and not fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's not unique to Overwatch but I never liked the timed aspect of battle passes and never will unless it's super easy to level up. Halo Infinite had the right idea with forever passes if you bought them. I'm surprised more companies don't do that, don't they know how many people buy games on Steam and never play them? People will be buying those passes every season because the idea of them never expiring and "I'll get to it eventually" would be too enticing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, I play a few games with battle passes and I never buy them because I know that I won't be able to play enough to get the stuff I want. If I could grind away on them at my own pace I would have probably bought some.

I get really frustrated when I pay for new content, and then also have to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to actually use the content I just bought.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really think that, whether you're good or bad, you'll win about half your games. Always winning about half of your games is actually what I dislikes about MMR. I liked how in TF2 I could go to a valve server to play against the equivalent of bronze players or into a named private server if I wanted to get tossed into platinum+. In MMR I'm just stuck in gold (where I belonged!!) , Winning and losing half my games forever.

I seriously think it's one of the most tiring aspects of overwatch.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/danteh/status/1568254603103473672?t=5paftWbs0JzcQeZ0i-9gCA&s=19

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i think both mmr matchmaking and tf2-like community servers for loving around would be ideal in fps games but big companies really hate the latter :shrug:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The PvE is secretly completely dead right? I doubt that is going to come out anytime soon.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Lord Packinham posted:

The PvE is secretly completely dead right? I doubt that is going to come out anytime soon.
The Devs said they won't be discussing it until 2023, despite it being the sole official reason for this rebranding.

The last we saw of it was over a year ago, when characters had gear loadouts like in TF2 and the devs were saying 'not every character would be available' before walking that back to ' we'll see' after hellacious backlash.

It may not be dead, but sometimes dead is better. In conclusion: hope for the best, expect this generation's Duke Nukem Forever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

comedyblissoption posted:

i think both mmr matchmaking and tf2-like community servers for loving around would be ideal in fps games but big companies really hate the latter :shrug:

AAA devs are basically obsessed with having total control of the player experience, and private community servers are the antithesis of that. Especially if they want to be pushing you to doing a battle pass or similar since they can't really let you do those on private servers. And yes it blows.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

So at this point in the rumor mill, do we think there will be things that are 100% walled behind cash payment, or is everything grindable? When I play a game, I tend to play it a lot anyway.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

well the game comes out in a few weeks lets check out the hype

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Seems pretty farfetched. Even by Blizzard standards I can't believe needing a full roster to play comp or a 15 hour grind to unlock a brand-new hero

Can't wait to be proven wrong!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

headcase posted:

So at this point in the rumor mill, do we think there will be things that are 100% walled behind cash payment, or is everything grindable? When I play a game, I tend to play it a lot anyway.

There will absolutely be cash-only costumes (is there a GAS title that doesn't have something cash only?), though I imagine the lion's share of new cosmetics will be BP items before rolling over to grindcoin.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chillgamesh posted:

Seems pretty farfetched. Even by Blizzard standards I can't believe needing a full roster to play comp or a 15 hour grind to unlock a brand-new hero

Can't wait to be proven wrong!

Yeah I mean if it's a corporate mandate, that's it. It doesn't have to make sense or be a good idea if the parent company is "gently caress you and gently caress them we want money".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, I have a complicated question.

My spouse started playing Overwatch on my Live account on my Xbox, but has since gotten their own Xbox and Live account. Their original Blizzard account is still tied to my Live account, and they have a new Blizzard account tied to their new Live account. They emailed Blizzard about account merging and this is the response:

quote:

Greetings _____!

My name is Saryndie and I will be looking into your case today. I appreciate your patience with us, we are finally getting them back under control after recent events and releases!

I had a read of your issue, and I can see that there is a lot of information needed to create the full picture here, so please excuse the wall of text incoming.

There are 2 types of account merging. Merging 2 battle.net accounts into 1 - this will not do what you think it does, because you can only have 1 Overwatch license per account. You would have to pick one of the battle.net accounts, and the Overwatch account linked to that account is what you keep, while the other one would be permanently deleted.

The other one is that with Overwatch 2 cross-progression will be introduced. To be able to play, you will need to "merge" your console account with your battle.net account.

If you already linked a console account, that is the one that the data will be taken from when cross-progression is enabled. While you can unlink a console account, this will trigger a very long cooldown - a year - before you can link a different console account. You can re-link the original at any time, but you won't be able to link another account right away. This is to stop people from abusing the system.

Please check out these links for more information on each topic:

Cross-progression in Overwatch 2: https://support.blizzard.com/article/000034849
Unlinking and relinking console accounts: https://support.blizzard.com/article/000014014

I hope this clears things up! Thank you for your patience and understanding in the matter.

Basically we’re trying to figure out if we can unlink their original Blizzard account from my Live account and console and merge/link it with their new console/Live account/Blizzard account. Mainly because of the six years of history and numbers on the original one compared to the six months or so with the new. If that makes sense. I’m sorry this sounds convoluted, I don’t know how better to explain and I haven’t played the game myself in a long time. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I feel like the console linking thing almost answers our question but it's confusing and I'm not sure what the cooldown period is referring to.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 13, 2022

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I've got like 800 unopened loot boxes, will they all go poof when Overwatch 2 happens?

Should I care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

They will be opened automatically tomorrow, iirc.