Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Darko posted:

Daniel was specifically not dating the Karate Kid 3 girl because Ralph Macchio felt weird about being so much older. That whole thing was platonic on screen.

Haha man I need to rewatch KK3. I just blew a friend's mind telling him that Terry Silver is younger than Daniel in real life.

Edit - That makes it make a lot more sense, Ralph reinforcing it with Cobra Kai

Edit 2 - Robyn Lively was 17 in Karate Kid 3, he was 28, WTF thought that was a good idea even if it was "platonic". So much cocaine responsible for that movie

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is one of the cheesiest, most corny shows I've ever watched and, for the life of me, I don't understand why Karate Teenage Soap Opera: The TV Series is so addictive and pulls almost all of it off so well. I even think the acting is slipping a little bit this season and also, having not seen all the Karate Kid movies, I don't know who some of these people are but god drat I keep clicking "next episode" and getting sucked in. I give it bonus points for its occasional self awareness and think that's a big part of it.

I also still think Zabka is the big standout here and i'd love to see him work with someone like Tarantino, PTA or the Coens just to see if he has the range I suspect he might. I get the sense he could do comedy, drama, action, etc.

Been trying to think of an MCU or DCEU character he could play since that's where like 30% of the available work is anymore but drawing a blank. Maybe if when they do Xmen he could be...I dunno...Havoc? He might could make for a good villain somewhere. I just think he's good and kinda hate to see him typecast.

E:

Also, is it me or are the writers lifting a little bit of Donald Trump for Silver's portrayal?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 11, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't even know why but I can't deny that somehow PTA directing Zabka would be perfect

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PurpleSky posted:

Johnny and Daniel teaming up is one of the best parts of the show and it was fantastic to finally see them on the same page for an entire season to have it culminate into that moment with Kreese.

One of the legit low key amazing moments of the season is when a drunk and desperate Daniel is trying to goad Johnny and there’s a moment of tense music and a slow close up on Johnny’s face only for him to go “okay seriously dude what is going on with you, talk to me”. Fantastic moment showing how much the character has grown, I honestly almost got as pumped about that as some of the fights

Finished the series late last night. Like I said second half was better but there was still some rough edges. Overall there’s still this weird disconnect where this season had a more severe split between the adult and kid stuff. It didn’t occur to me until the last episode that Johnny barely interacted with some of the kids in a training capacity. After the nice moment where he wants to charge in to Cobra Kais dojo to get Devon they literally don’t speak on screen the rest of the season. The second half at least did get the Miyagis back in the dojo which helped, hopefully next season is focusing on the Sekai Tekai helps to refocus and put that aspect of the show back in the foreground

TheBuilder posted:

No, unless they like ending on a cliff hanger

Honestly tbf in context this would be fine with me: it’s already a recurring joke that Kreese has faked his own death multiple times so that would be a fitting “end” to the character. The fact that he’s on the run for breaking out of prison and doesn’t have Silver’s financial resources or the influence over Johnny or the kids makes him less of a threat overall so I could see him just disappearing for good, realizing he can’t make any headway there. Not that this will happen since this likely wasn’t the final season, but it’s not a hard cliffhanger like some previous seasons

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speaking of bad acting, Alicia Hannah-Kim is loving terrible. Holy poo poo. In a show that centers itself, finds its way and thrives on being way over the top, she somehow manages to overact and be too cartoonish even for this show.

I thought using Kreese' younger actor was a clever way to do the prison fight scene and work around the main cast members age and physical limitations rather than using a stunt double. Especially since the psychiatrist scene that preceded it helped set it up.

Really really curious, though, just how on earth this show is going to deliver a Final Climax since it just keeps upping the stakes and repeating itself with constant double downs. Any sort of Big Dramatic Finale is going to need for someone important to get killed or die in the ring after delivering a spinning backflip crane kick; or receiving one. We're getting into "Rocky" territory here (pun intended) where the Big Bads have gone with exponential villainy so much that the show has nowhere to go in terms of a "final triumph over evil".

Someone has to die, I think, similar to Mickey, Apollo and Adrien in the Rocky movies. Maybe Kreese since they're establishing him with a sympathetic background a bit? Probably not heavy enough. We've already had "people/kids in the hospital". Daniel won't die unless they do a flash forward. Johnny won't die since he has a baby on the way. Whose life can we threaten or end here to make things count?

I'm worried they're going to go with the youngest Laruso kid or Amanda starting their own dojo or something but that's lame as gently caress and just repeats the cycle.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't even know why but I can't deny that somehow PTA directing Zabka would be perfect

Same. I can easily picture him in Boogie Nights or Magnolia.

e:

Wait...

How did Miyagi Eagle Do Chozen Fang get back in the dojo mix when the legal stakes for last season's finale have them required by contract to gently caress right off?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 11, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darko posted:

Daniel was specifically not dating the Karate Kid 3 girl because Ralph Macchio felt weird about being so much older. That whole thing was platonic on screen.

Interesting. In the movie Daniel asked her out but when he came to pick her up for their first date she said she'd been on the phone with her ex and they were getting back together so they do never actually date. (To crib from a funny review I saw on it, I personally think she saw Daniel in one of Mr. Miyagi's less flattering shirts and called an audible.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Just starting episode 4 now (had to finish up Better Call Saul before jumping onto this) and I really love the little touch finding out that it was Carmen who was having the dream about the hilarious 80s-style family montage. poo poo, maybe they ARE right for eachother haha.

About halfway through that scene I was like "God, please let this be Carmen's dream". And then it totally was! And I just had the biggest grin on my face for like the next ten minutes :buddy:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of bad acting, Alicia Hannah-Kim is loving terrible. Holy poo poo. In a show that centers itself, finds its way and thrives on being way over the top, she somehow manages to overact and be too cartoonish even for this show.
Hard same. Every scene with her really took me out of it.

quote:

e:

Wait...

How did Miyagi Eagle Do Chozen Fang get back in the dojo mix when the legal stakes for last season's finale have them required by contract to gently caress right off?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

[quote="BiggerBoat" post="526188413"]

Someone has to die, I think, similar to Mickey, Apollo and Adrien in the Rocky movies. Maybe Kreese since they're establishing him with a sympathetic background a bit? Probably not heavy enough. We've already had "people/kids in the hospital". Daniel won't die unless they do a flash forward. Johnny won't die since he has a baby on the way. Whose life can we threaten or end here to make things count?

I'll be damned.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Just finished the new season, I love Terry Silver being an absolute maniac.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

new season owned, I hope coked up mike barnes sticks around and remains coked up

season 6 is gonna end with Miguel winning the tenkaichi budokai or whatever with a hadouken

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m about 4 eps in but this show is really about how the lowest stakes in tv drama results in the biggest blowbacks. It’s like keeping it real goes wrong the series.

Karate must turn off whatever acumen Daniel acquired becoming a wealthy car salesman to be played by Silver who is hilariously playing a different game.

But I grew up in a family that owned dojos and the reality is closer to the “the foot fist way”.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Who do they surprise us with next season, are we up to them begging Hilary Swank to be on the show?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sonatinas posted:

Karate must turn off whatever acumen Daniel acquired becoming a wealthy car salesman to be played by Silver who is hilariously playing a different game.

Never cross a man willing to do business with teenagers while in a bubble bath.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta admit it was pretty painful to see Daniel fall for that poo poo at the auction. He made such a point of warning Chozen all about what a crafty snake Terry Silver was, always three steps ahead etc, and then he goes and just falls for every dumb trap Terry sets for him. The more the show goes on the more I think that Daniel only took Mr. Miyagi's lessons at his lost superficial and without a helpful mentor figure he's doomed to keep making stupid mistakes. I guess that might even be the point, I am not really sure where they are going with this. Johnny has had a lot of character growth and Daniel hasn't had nearly as much so far. Also I really feel for Amanda because I want to shake Daniel by the face and yell "do you realize how crazy you sound? Whether you're right or not?"

Show is still drat good fun though and the Top Gun dream, particularly the reveal, had us in stitches, it was great.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Medullah posted:

Edit 2 - Robyn Lively was 17 in Karate Kid 3, he was 28, WTF thought that was a good idea even if it was "platonic". So much cocaine responsible for that movie

Going by actress ages that would have Amanda being 11 during Karate Kid 3...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jonny Quest posted:

Going by actress ages that would have Amanda being 11 during Karate Kid 3...

You can't go by their ages though or Daniel is older than Silver.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The anime analogy is apt, and that not-terrible arcade fighting game literally turned Kreese into Akuma.

The better comparison in my mind is pro wrestling, though. Especially with the kids constantly switching alliances and perpetually moving between Heels and Faces seemingly every other episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Narcissus1916 posted:

The anime analogy is apt, and that not-terrible arcade fighting game literally turned Kreese into Akuma.

The better comparison in my mind is pro wrestling, though. Especially with the kids constantly switching alliances and perpetually moving between Heels and Faces seemingly every other episode.

Pro wrestling is just anime to begin with.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I quite enjoyed how Silver didn't really do much of anything "wrong" this entire season, he pretty much just let Daniel play himself over and over again.

(There is no proof that he burned Barnes' store)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure someone else torched the place, probably after receiving a large sum of money from an anonymous benefactor who implied that it would be for the best if the furniture store burned down.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Man the timing out of the kid plots vs the adult plots in a few of the episodes were straight up bonkers. I'm thinking of mostly the auction episode and the party stuff in episode 9.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I remain slackjawed at how good this show is.

It's just so fun. It just works.

I don't know what crazy alchemy they use. I didn't even watch the films growing up. I knew about them but I'd watch my friends bootleg tapes (and later VCDs) of Hong Kong action films instead. It's great '80s cheese (Johnny and I love the same movies and I want to watch Pacific Rim with him).

We are entering the final and weakest act but this is so good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
no other show makes me vacillate between "this is the silliest, goofiest poo poo" to "this is fuckin badass"

fortunately there's more of the latter, and even with the former it's just good dumb fun

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I’ve only watched the first two episodes so far, and couldn’t place why I enjoyed the Johnny / Australians fight so much. Then I realized, I had seen something similar set to that song before

https://youtu.be/3h2wyp0M6fM

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

kdrudy posted:

Who do they surprise us with next season, are we up to them begging Hilary Swank to be on the show?

Jaden Smith? Thinking about it, would you really have to "beg" Swank to take a turn here? I haven't recalled seeing in her in much in a good while.

Professor Beetus posted:

The more the show goes on the more I think that Daniel only took Mr. Miyagi's lessons at his lost superficial and without a helpful mentor figure he's doomed to keep making stupid mistakes. I guess that might even be the point, I am not really sure where they are going with this. Johnny has had a lot of character growth and Daniel hasn't had nearly as much so far.

Agreed and I think they're playing up the popular idea that Daniel is actually the villain and the biggest rear end in a top hat in the first movie from the get go. They get into the idea of toxic masculinity a lot and Daniel thinks he's above it all because he's all old school/deep thinking ancient ways mystic cerebral Japanese karate guy but in this series (as well as the films), again, he's just as big of an rear end in a top hat, a catalyst and a fuckup as anyone. Hell he kept making the same stupid mistakes in the movies.

I don't think they're going out of their way to write him as sympathetic or all that wise here and the show kind of juxtaposes that against Johnny by making Lawrence have more depth and come off as very well meaning. I can't think of a single loving thing that Daniel has really learned over five seasons and whenever he's faced with any consequences, all he does is go read Miyagi's diaries and get weepy in the dojo and poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed and I think they're playing up the popular idea that Daniel is actually the villain and the biggest rear end in a top hat in the first movie from the get go. They get into the idea of toxic masculinity a lot and Daniel thinks he's above it all because he's all old school/deep thinking ancient ways mystic cerebral Japanese karate guy but in this series (as well as the films), again, he's just as big of an rear end in a top hat, a catalyst and a fuckup as anyone. Hell he kept making the same stupid mistakes in the movies.

I don't think they're going out of their way to write him as sympathetic or all that wise here and the show kind of juxtaposes that against Johnny by making Lawrence have more depth and come off as very well meaning. I can't think of a single loving thing that Daniel has really learned over five seasons and whenever he's faced with any consequences, all he does is go read Miyagi's diaries and get weepy in the dojo and poo poo.

Daniel's arc is pretty hilarious in retrospect because in the first season he massively overreacts to Cobra Kai reopening, thinking that it is going to poison the brains of children and turn them into psychopathic bullies. As of season 5, it's clear he was maybe being a bit too optimistic in his fears of a teenage karate armageddon.

But seriously, season 1 Daniel is clearly in the wrong but there's also a lot of honest misunderstandings in those initial arcs. Him being a hothead who wants to confront problems head on rather than heeding Miyagi's teachings is definitely played up, but like in the original he ultimately has his heart in the right place.

After that his arc becomes somewhat muddled mainly because, again, the lesson of "maybe I shouldn't automatically assume my old rivals are all psychos planning my downfall" is immediately proven incorrect by Kreese and Silver (although Barnes being well adjusted is a welcome surprise). He doesn't have quite as clear cut an arc as Johnny who starts out like an 80s caveman so always has some room to grow and show some surprising maturity. Sometimes his lesson is "maybe I need to not be such a judgmental hothead" and then the next season its like "maybe I shouldn't be too focused on passiveness and pure defense".

Probably the biggest growth moments for him were in the last season and carried a bit into this one where he realized that just copying Miyagi's method for teaching him by rote isn't going to work on every single person, and he needs to embrace different methods, including those of his former rivals.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gabagool

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also I wish they'd write Louie out, the character is an annoying slimeball that drags down every scene he's in

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well just finished episode six and hachi machi how the gently caress is this show so good? drat.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Guy A. Person posted:

Daniel's arc is pretty hilarious in retrospect because in the first season he massively overreacts to Cobra Kai reopening, thinking that it is going to poison the brains of children and turn them into psychopathic bullies. As of season 5, it's clear he was maybe being a bit too optimistic in his fears of a teenage karate armageddon.

But seriously, season 1 Daniel is clearly in the wrong but there's also a lot of honest misunderstandings in those initial arcs. Him being a hothead who wants to confront problems head on rather than heeding Miyagi's teachings is definitely played up, but like in the original he ultimately has his heart in the right place.

After that his arc becomes somewhat muddled mainly because, again, the lesson of "maybe I shouldn't automatically assume my old rivals are all psychos planning my downfall" is immediately proven incorrect by Kreese and Silver (although Barnes being well adjusted is a welcome surprise). He doesn't have quite as clear cut an arc as Johnny who starts out like an 80s caveman so always has some room to grow and show some surprising maturity. Sometimes his lesson is "maybe I need to not be such a judgmental hothead" and then the next season its like "maybe I shouldn't be too focused on passiveness and pure defense".

Probably the biggest growth moments for him were in the last season and carried a bit into this one where he realized that just copying Miyagi's method for teaching him by rote isn't going to work on every single person, and he needs to embrace different methods, including those of his former rivals.

I think Daniel's problems is ultimately that he's right, but his means of coping boils down to kicking the problem in the face until it stops. Nearly everyone whose life he touches sees it improved; Robbie and Miguel thrive under his tenure in the brief moments they work together, Dimitri goes from snarky bystander to legit badass, Chozen and Mike Barnes both turn their lives around thanks in part to him snapping them out of their bad paths.

But he can never enjoy any of it because a neverending procession of karate villains keeps triggering his traumas and dragging him further into the dirt. Season 1 Daniel was misguided but well meaning. Then every further season, Daniel's fears are proven increasingly right, and his only equipment in dealing with them are a combo of his natural hotheaded aggression and Miyagi's lessons.

I don't think Daniel's focus on karate passivity and defense are out of step with his arc. He pushes those views, ironically, very aggressively! He's never the one being defensive himself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

I think Daniel's problems is ultimately that he's right, but his means of coping boils down to kicking the problem in the face until it stops. Nearly everyone whose life he touches sees it improved; Robbie and Miguel thrive under his tenure in the brief moments they work together, Dimitri goes from snarky bystander to legit badass, Chozen and Mike Barnes both turn their lives around thanks in part to him snapping them out of their bad paths.

But he can never enjoy any of it because a neverending procession of karate villains keeps triggering his traumas and dragging him further into the dirt. Season 1 Daniel was misguided but well meaning. Then every further season, Daniel's fears are proven increasingly right, and his only equipment in dealing with them are a combo of his natural hotheaded aggression and Miyagi's lessons.

I don't think Daniel's focus on karate passivity and defense are out of step with his arc. He pushes those views, ironically, very aggressively! He's never the one being defensive himself.

The whole ongoing theme of the show has been about finding balance, specifically about finding balance between Daniel and Johnny. Johnny has found his balance and he more or less now is the man who he, if not was meant to be, then at least the man he's needed to be. Daniel still has one or two more hurdles to overcome, I think, before he also finally finds his balance.

E: Also, let's not sell Johnny's improvative effect on other people short either. The man cured Miguel's asthma AND paralysis purely by yelling at him.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 13, 2022

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I love Terry Silver's huge douchebag smile during his fight scenes, brilliant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

I love Terry Silver's huge douchebag smile during his fight scenes, brilliant.

I think he's make for a decent Donald Trump in a biopic

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lmao when we were watching last night and Daniel went into the Miuagi room, we saw our living room floor lamp right there, and my partner and I both turned to each other at the same time and exclaimed "that's our lamp!" like big loving dorks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Best show on tv easy went absolutely wild watching this as usual

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

yes op water is wet thank you

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pretty decent article I found that gets into some of the stuff being posted

https://www.avclub.com/cobra-kai-karate-kid-ralph-macchio-william-zabka-1849519886

Except the writer doesn't think the formula really works. I disagree

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn't love the way the storyline with Miguel's dad, the most soap opera actor looking guy in Mexico, ended. As others have said in here, the stakes on this show are just hilariously low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I did appreciate how this season wasn't filled with moments where everyone was about to get along and then some dumb random thing completely derails it. Even the one with Miguel and Sam near the end didn't end up being a huge deal.