Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does turning on "Reduce Motion" really make the new wallpapers setup mad for anyone else? For me I got an uneditable black screen as a wallpaper and I then had to make a new one to be able to delete the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pasting non-transparent images into Discord is the new green bubble.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

101 posted:

Settings > Notifications > Display As List will get it back to the old behaviour I believe

Aha that’s it I think, thanks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not sure I’m following the battery percentage convo correctly but with ios16 it’s back to on the screen all the time if enabled.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Dave posted:

Not sure I’m following the battery percentage convo correctly but with ios16 it’s back to on the screen all the time if enabled.

Oh poo poo you’re right!! No more internet debates, Apple has given us everything we want

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Unless you’re using Steve’s perfect phone, the iPhone Mini.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the fish are pretty cool but I was hoping for a bunch of wallpapers like that. maybe I’ll use those pictures of the models they have on the apple site like some kind of creep

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

101 posted:

Settings > Notifications > Display As List will get it back to the old behaviour I believe

I'm not quite in reading glasses and I don't own a sweet cell phone holster for my belt, but aside from a few gimmicks (Looks like posting photos cut outs is the new "Show my portrait mode photos for 2 weeks and forget about the feature") new iOS season is more about finding and turning off stuff like this than anything else these days.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can’t get it to do the depth thing for the Lock Screen with any of my existing images. I just assumed it used the same technology as the cutout tool. Is that not the case? Do I need to take a new portrait pic if I want to have depth on the Lock Screen?

Also why are you capitalizing Lock Screen like that that’s weird.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

American McGay posted:

Unless you’re using the literal phone for actual babies, the iPhone Mini.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

haptic keyboard, baybeeeee

wait

what?

e: finally the only good thing with android ported to the iOS

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 12, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can turn on haptics for the keyboard now so you get little tappy rumblies when you type

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think I like it so I’m turning it back off in a week maybe

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

why would we want that?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Maybe if you’re the kind of sick freak who ever has their phone off of silent and enjoys the keyboard sounds, but you want to transition into being a normal person who never ever takes the phone off silent, the haptic keys are a nice halfway point between madness and sanity.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk it’s been a thing on Android. I got used to it but when I switched back to iPhone I didn’t even notice it was missing because the little tap sound on iOS is so satisfying by itself.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Haptic keyboard feels good but not as good as the Taptic in the X

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

American McGay posted:

I can’t get it to do the depth thing for the Lock Screen with any of my existing images. I just assumed it used the same technology as the cutout tool. Is that not the case? Do I need to take a new portrait pic if I want to have depth on the Lock Screen?

Also why are you capitalizing Lock Screen like that that’s weird.

There’s a magic point where there’s enough overlap for it to work, but not too much overlap that you end up covering the clock too much at which point it’ll turn off the depth thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

101 posted:

I'm curious why you have to trade your iPhone in early. Are you phoneless for the week?

I want to make sure it gets to them and I'll be busy this weekend and Friday. I've got my Pixel 6 Pro as backup though so I'll have a phone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ThermoPhysical posted:

I want to make sure it gets to them and I'll be busy this weekend and Friday. I've got my Pixel 6 Pro as backup though so I'll have a phone.

Fair enough. Is the time limit for getting it back to them that strict? I've only ever handed it over in person when I was getting my new one

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The Dave posted:

Oh my god you’re right. How long has that been a thing?! I swear it didn’t used to be there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dinosaurs! posted:

Oh my god you’re right. How long has that been a thing?! I swear it didn’t used to be there.

It may be impossible to say given that proper changelogs went the way of the dodo several years ago("bugfixes and improvements"), but I think it's new to iOS 16.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Looke posted:

Haptic keyboard feels good but not as good as the Taptic in the X

I turned it on but it’s very subtle. I was expecting it to be a little more pronounced.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s a 16 thing.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

SlowBloke posted:

Yeah, Apple has their own fleet but it has far less vehicles. I only ever saw a Apple Maps car once compared to the dozens of streetviews vehicles.

I do find it interesting that they're building their cycling network info via groundtruthing. My city has an open data portal with all the bike infrastructure already geocoded etc ready to download which is why I've been frustrated that it still doesn't exist here. Plus plugging into an open data portal would allow it to be updated more frequently than the vehicles drive around. (My job is cycling infrastructure project management so this is a bit of a sore spot for me)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

New lock screen is pretty cool but only after you change the default clock font, which sucks. They really need way more widgets than this for it to be useful though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vegetable posted:

New lock screen is pretty cool but only after you change the default clock font, which sucks. They really need way more widgets than this for it to be useful though.

I'm sure developer apis are either coming or have and they need to push app updates to support.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wouldn't mind more fonts too but what's there is fine. I am glad the lock screen shows the album art again and not some tiny little screen.

The SA app press+hold menus seems snappier too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have to admit I actually don’t care for having the battery number in the top right. Maybe I’m just not used to it but it screams for attention. I much preferred seeing a symbol.

And it seems like there’s no way to turn it off. The number remains even after I turn off Battery Percentage in Settings. Bug?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TraderStav posted:

I'm sure developer apis are either coming or have and they need to push app updates to support.

The Live Activities thing is delayed. I imagine once that rolls out the new Lock Screen will make a lot more sense.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is the wallpaper Perspective Zoom option gone? Or just moved somewhere new?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vegetable posted:

I have to admit I actually don’t care for having the battery number in the top right. Maybe I’m just not used to it but it screams for attention. I much preferred seeing a symbol.

And it seems like there’s no way to turn it off. The number remains even after I turn off Battery Percentage in Settings. Bug?

Yes report it!!! But reboot your phone and it will probably be fixed

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Live Activities thing is delayed. I imagine once that rolls out the new Lock Screen will make a lot more sense.

I'm really hoping that we get granular enough control of the "dynamic island" so that I can put a game on there and have the score update around the pill until I tell it not to without being overtaken (temporarily switching to show a notification is fine, but returning back to it).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

The windy app has a Lock Screen widget, so some apps got the sauce.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TraderStav posted:

I'm really hoping that we get granular enough control of the "dynamic island" so that I can put a game on there and have the score update around the pill until I tell it not to without being overtaken (temporarily switching to show a notification is fine, but returning back to it).

Seem to remember that was one of the use cases in the presentation. Live Activities can persist and update for 8 hours so it figures you'd be able to do that

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

.Z. posted:

Is the wallpaper Perspective Zoom option gone? Or just moved somewhere new?

Believe that was removed in one of the betas.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

Live activities and widgets are different things

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

Those are different.

In theory any app can get a widget, but the widgets are (for now) stuck in that one section at the top.

The Live Activities thing is a separate API (that's not out yet) so apps can put live notifications on the Lock Screen. Ideally your Lock Screen will be:

date/time
widgets
Live Activities
Normal app notifications

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

101 posted:

Seem to remember that was one of the use cases in the presentation. Live Activities can persist and update for 8 hours so it figures you'd be able to do that

Nice, looking forward to it practice. Seems like a good os update this cycle. Lots of features that seems like would never be approved in the past. I'm enjoying this new Apple that embraces chunky boi devices and other features that don't necessarily fit into their former model of elegant minimalist design and UI/UX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’ve been trying to find the Nintendo switch docking sound as a text notification, but I haven’t been able to find one that sounds exactly like it. I see a few on the Apple App Store, but they all sound a little bit off or outrightly mimicking the sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction?