Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

I dunno if being still standing while WoW shoots itself in the foot counts as "killing WoW". :v:

“If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that two entries are posted as "Possibly Chads revenge".

It's just such a nice phrase.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Isn't Luke Gygax just a veteran that runs a convention? How deep are his pockets that he's got whole rear end guys in there?
La Nasa doesn't understand that miniatures aren't real.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's kind of weird but also probably says something that these people have apparently been hanging around the industry so long and one of Gygax's kids is literally involved but they're somehow more obscure than the pathetic weirdos grognards.txt used to talk about before realising they were the only ones who still did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I can tell, Justin LaNasa, Ernie Gygax, and Dave Johnson all have two things in common: they're right-wing bigots, and they write like someone is currently punching them in the back of the head.

Who were Johnson and LaNasa before nuTSR was a thing? From what I can tell, LaNasa was some guy who owns a tattoo shop and a vape shop in NC, torpedoed his campaign for the NC House by having his female employees wrestle in grits, and the first Google result for his name is a court document affirming his liability for $44,761.38 due to unpaid sales taxes from his sleazy oxygen bar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

It might not be "actively" "killing" WoW but it's providing a high-quality alternative to WoW at a time when people are looking for something new (whether because WoW is just old hat, or because WoW is becoming worse), which is basically how you become the hot new thing. The problem all the WoW killers had was that they were basically trying to be a better WoW than WoW, in a market already dominated by WoW. Which of course isn't going to work, because even if you could offer a technically better product (which you can't, because that costs more money than you have available), all the WoW players are already busy playing WoW.

Sometimes doing so hilariously late in the game, like WildStar which was made by some ex-WoW devs. They were so centered on the '40 player raid' market that while they had a decent game mechanics and style wise they didn't realize or didn't care that in large part the people who did that had moved on or at the least no longer had the time for it and that the gaming scene had just kinda... moved on. Things were already trending towards a deeper story narrative (or, I guess, narrative narrative) in MMOs but they had the game they wanted to make, I guess.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The wildstar devs also fundamentally didn't understand what people missed about classic wow. They loving bragged about having a monstrously complicated process required to unlock the endgame content, for fucks sake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dawgstar posted:

Sometimes doing so hilariously late in the game, like WildStar which was made by some ex-WoW devs. They were so centered on the '40 player raid' market that while they had a decent game mechanics and style wise they didn't realize or didn't care that in large part the people who did that had moved on or at the least no longer had the time for it and that the gaming scene had just kinda... moved on. Things were already trending towards a deeper story narrative (or, I guess, narrative narrative) in MMOs but they had the game they wanted to make, I guess.

There does also seem to be a tendency, similar to a certain grognard strain, for MMO devs to be former players who are obsessed with the harderest of the hardercore, whether it's big raids, PvP or ridiculous hoops to access content, and realise too late that poo poo's niche even within MMOs and they neglected all the things that actually get the majority of players to sign up and stick around. WoW itself seems to be like that now.

Also like grognards, feels like those people used to somehow be widely praised and held up on pedestals compared to the filthy casuals but now the narrative has turned and everyone sees them for tedious, irrelevant weirdos who are barely even fun to mock.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Wildstar devs were obsessed with how hardcore they were, and stated that they were gonna make a raid that was harder than WoW's, and would take even longer to clear. At least X months.

They accomplished this by making the raid literally mathematically impossible to beat, an entire raid running at peak recorded performance all at once would not have enough DPS to kill the bosses before their enrages.

X months and one day after the raid was released, they nerfed the raid down to actual playability. When someone finally did manage to beat it the devs mocked them on reddit with this gif.

e: Here's the ludicrous attunement chain for their raids and one thing I found on here that's notable is there's apparently a dungeon where it's a challenge to beat it in under 75 minutes which :psyduck:

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 12, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

WoW also has the advantage of being able to use the failed upstarts as R&D. I remember a few things people liked from Wildstar making it into subsequent WoW patches.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

moths posted:

WoW also has the advantage of being able to use the failed upstarts as R&D. I remember a few things people liked from Wildstar making it into subsequent WoW patches.

somehow still no player housing

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

admanb posted:

It would suck. If it was player driven it'd just be another source of rep grinding and boss bit collecting for no reason, no one wants to go to anyone else's house. If it's guild-driven it just becomes another thing that punishes the creation of or joining of new guilds when old established guilds already have all the dart boards and mounted dragon heads of +10% XP or whatever.

I know it's in FFXIV and all, and I play that, and... it kinda sucks. My apartment is boring, if I could afford a house it would be boring, and it only creates badfeels when there are little benefits I could be getting like the garden but aren't because it's gated behind an insane price and a lottery system.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

admanb posted:

WoW is like a 2 decade old game at this point lol.

It's codebase is made of nothing but hopes and dreams and 18 years of bandaids and bad decisions

But yeah player housing requires an absolute poo poo ton of of dev time to initially create it and until recently (they bought a studio this year) the WoW team is nowhere near as large as you think it is.

Like they had grand ambitions for Garrison's, realized quickly that oh no even doing the rudimentary stuff that they did took up almost all of the dev time they'd be spending working on later patches. And had to torch patch content.

WoW's problem in this case is that they tried to like tell a more "serious" and "nuanced" story like FF14 does, not realizing that they suck poo poo at it until too late and everyone was miserable. Not to mention one of their sex pests pulled rank as the franchise director or whatever over objections of the team to kick off the Sylvanas stuff in BFA. Before he was fired(resigned) a year or so ago.

Their Art and Raid design team are still very good at what they do with the tools they have.

But yeah, this has been the first time like ever there was two back to back "bad" expansions.

I don't think player housing in WoW is something that's needed specifically, but WoW's problem is it's insanely over designed, and almost like fully engagement metrics spreadsheet driven. Everything had to tie into the main like "system" or endgame of power progression

It needs more things for players to attach themselves to that they do for just fun and not because they feel obligated because they need a currency to get player power.

Player Housing is just one of those things in FF14 and other MMOs that can work.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
WoW has trouble creating content but to my understanding the main engineering team is very good at rewriting the core of the game to keep it up to date with best practices and improvements in design. That's been shown pretty well by the various classic WoW releases, where the original versions of the game from that time were completely incompatible with Blizzard's game services now, and so the projects have consisted of reimplementing those expansions on the modern client with changes to make grogs happy.

Why are we talking about this in the TG industry thread anyway?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

WOW is old enough to vote now, maybe it has become a traditional game.

I kid, but what were we gonna talk about otherwise, LaNasa's secret enemy list?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexo posted:

WoW's problem in this case is that they tried to like tell a more "serious" and "nuanced" story like FF14 does, not realizing that they suck poo poo at it until too late and everyone was miserable. Not to mention one of their sex pests pulled rank as the franchise director or whatever over objections of the team to kick off the Sylvanas stuff in BFA. Before he was fired(resigned) a year or so ago.

No, Steve Danuser is still employed at Blizzard. Their previous lore guy quit because he stood up for an abused woman and got harrangued out of the company by HR because he didn't have receipts to back it up. The first lore book produced under Danuser's tenure rectons most/all of the lore and gleefully mocks the playerbase for actually caring about lore at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I can tell, Justin LaNasa, Ernie Gygax, and Dave Johnson all have two things in common: they're right-wing bigots, and they write like someone is currently punching them in the back of the head.

Who were Johnson and LaNasa before nuTSR was a thing? From what I can tell, LaNasa was some guy who owns a tattoo shop and a vape shop in NC, torpedoed his campaign for the NC House by having his female employees wrestle in grits, and the first Google result for his name is a court document affirming his liability for $44,761.38 due to unpaid sales taxes from his sleazy oxygen bar.

Dave Johnson published some OSR things on his own before this. If he'd kept his head down he could've continued being a monstrous bigot on his social media accounts to his heart's content. DriveThru removed his entire catalog of work now that people are paying attention to the poo poo he posted on twitter and all the nazi stuff in his Star Frontiers book. Art credits pop up for a "David Johnson" on DriveThru still, but that's a separate Dave Johnson who's a professional illustrator and comic cover artists nowadays.

LaNasa seems to just be a roving scammer chasing progressively dumber marks with increasingly flimsy rackets.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LaNasa definitely flamed out too brightly, he could have had a pretty solid career of taking angry-eyes webcam pics and making youtube header images juxtaposing those against She-Hulk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kurieg posted:

No, Steve Danuser is still employed at Blizzard. Their previous lore guy quit because he stood up for an abused woman and got harrangued out of the company by HR because he didn't have receipts to back it up. The first lore book produced under Danuser's tenure rectons most/all of the lore and gleefully mocks the playerbase for actually caring about lore at all.

I was talking about Alex Afrasiabi.

Danuser, I don't think highly of, but uh no allegations of sex pestery.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Kurieg posted:

They're talking about afrasiabi reportedly making sylvannas go full warcrimes because he knew he was getting the boot even before all the poo poo hit the fan. Not danuser.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

The Wildstar devs were obsessed with how hardcore they were, and stated that they were gonna make a raid that was harder than WoW's, and would take even longer to clear. At least X months.

They accomplished this by making the raid literally mathematically impossible to beat, an entire raid running at peak recorded performance all at once would not have enough DPS to kill the bosses before their enrages.

X months and one day after the raid was released, they nerfed the raid down to actual playability. When someone finally did manage to beat it the devs mocked them on reddit with this gif.

e: Here's the ludicrous attunement chain for their raids and one thing I found on here that's notable is there's apparently a dungeon where it's a challenge to beat it in under 75 minutes which :psyduck:

My favorite story about Wildstar is apparently on that or another supposed-to-be-unbeatable raid a bunch of players worked out an unintended strategy to actually down the boss, but failed because a dev literally logged into the instance as an invisible GM and adjusted the boss's health upwards in real-time to keep it alive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the other thing is that WoW is/was, for the most part, not that buggy; Wildstar not only had that ridiculous attunement path, but there was at least one case where a player visible in their community ran into a bug that killed their ability to complete the attunement, and the devs just shrugged and told them to reroll a new character from scratch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just got a notice from DTRPG that they're switching their black-and-white POD from 50-stock paper to thicker 70-stock, which would be kind of nice. Particularly it might be nice for buying White Wolf PoD books, since the thinner paper was the main thing, aside from the full bleed issue, that stopped them from being just as nice or nicer than the originals.

Unfortunately it seems equally likely that they'll all just disappear from PoD altogether because nobody at Paradox is going to bother doing the conversion process.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did they get full bleed pages yet?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gradenko_2000 posted:

the other thing is that WoW is/was, for the most part, not that buggy; Wildstar not only had that ridiculous attunement path, but there was at least one case where a player visible in their community ran into a bug that killed their ability to complete the attunement, and the devs just shrugged and told them to reroll a new character from scratch.

Now now, that's not what happened. What happened was they told the players they were somehow unable to resolve the issue so they had to start a new character from scratch BUT gave them a a minor XP boost potion. That made it totally okay </s>

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

moths posted:

Did they get full bleed pages yet?

No, someone would have to go through and do that as well.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

theironjef posted:

It would suck. If it was player driven it'd just be another source of rep grinding and boss bit collecting for no reason, no one wants to go to anyone else's house. If it's guild-driven it just becomes another thing that punishes the creation of or joining of new guilds when old established guilds already have all the dart boards and mounted dragon heads of +10% XP or whatever.

I know it's in FFXIV and all, and I play that, and... it kinda sucks. My apartment is boring, if I could afford a house it would be boring, and it only creates badfeels when there are little benefits I could be getting like the garden but aren't because it's gated behind an insane price and a lottery system.

honestly this was just a joke about how Wildstar -- a game built around making the best possible inaccessible content they could -- had an well-implemented high-effort player housing system.

(though I also felt that way about FFXIV's housing until I got lucky on a plot and immediately started obsessing over designs.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I used to like Rift a lot but then they layered a whole bunch of weird bullshit over it (like player housing).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only thing I know about Rift is that Palladium sued them, because of course they did.

Has the thread discussed Darlene denying nuTSR permission to use the "wizard head" TSR logo she designed? I'm bringing it up because this is all very entertaining, and her interactions with them make them sound like the sleazy dumbasses we know them to be. Apparently they tried to rope her into a contract that obliges her to publicly defend them vis a vis the lawsuit with WotC.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 12, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

The story of FFXIV's housing market is as wild as... well, the United States' I suppose. It doesn't seem like there's much to be done to fix the problem either as whenever new property is available you've got shady folks who just descend on it and snap up everything they can. Wait, which was I talking about now?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dawgstar posted:

The story of FFXIV's housing market is as wild as... well, the United States' I suppose. It doesn't seem like there's much to be done to fix the problem either as whenever new property is available you've got shady folks who just descend on it and snap up everything they can. Wait, which was I talking about now?

Housing in the US also has a lottery system, but it happens at character creation with the "Inherited Wealth" perk which is intentional but still extremely poor design.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Honestly player housing in MMOs is one of those things games have just to say they have it. Unless it's a super RP game, no one ever goes to other people's houses, ever.

Back in the early 00's I (briefly) played Anarchy Online and Neocron, both of which made a big deal of having free instanced player housing. The only time people ever went to other people's apartments was when a bug randomly teleported you there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gynovore posted:

Honestly player housing in MMOs is one of those things games have just to say they have it. Unless it's a super RP game, no one ever goes to other people's houses, ever.

Back in the early 00's I (briefly) played Anarchy Online and Neocron, both of which made a big deal of having free instanced player housing. The only time people ever went to other people's apartments was when a bug randomly teleported you there.

Yeah it's a relic of people thinking of the 'world' aspect of them as the part people are in for. In reality, unless it's the only one, people have very particular sets of interests in what they want in a game and it's not conducive to trying to 'live' in one of these things.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i can think of a few mmos where people visit each others houses

(to destroy and rob them)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i can think of a few mmos where people visit each others houses

(to destroy and rob them)
I call this 'B2 Keep on the Borderlands'

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Gynovore posted:

This is not true in FFXIV, but I cannot think of a second counter-example. There are people that spend all their time doing interior design and I know a lot of FC’s host parties in part to show off their housing and decorations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Chakan posted:

This is not true in FFXIV, but I cannot think of a second counter-example. There are people that spend all their time doing interior design and I know a lot of FC’s host parties in part to show off their housing and decorations.

It depends where you draw the boundaries; Animal Crossing and Second Life are both on the ragged edge of MMOs.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Also kind of on the edge of MMOs but Path of Exile hideout decor is a big deal, the trade economy relies on meeting players in their homes and people absolutely love to show off.

I feel like that's actually a relatively unexplored space in tabletop design, some groups absolutely love to acquire a base and deck it out with Cool Stuff but it's usually handwaved or a vestigial/supplemental system, the closest I can think of to a game really mechanically focused around specifically developing that fantasy would be... idk, Ars Magica? Blades in the Dark sort of?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Beast had a sanctum system or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

admanb posted:

Well... ultimately FFXIV did pass WoW by making a better WoW. 2.0 was explicitly built on the foundation of what WoW defined as a "good MMO." The problem with most MMOs that were trying to beat WoW was that they kept making "WoW but more hardcore" and had no end-game content. People left WoW for Age of Conan in droves, but came back a week later because they either (a) realized they didn't want to play on a FFA PvP server 100% of the time or (b) got to max level and realized there was nothing to do but FFA PvP.

What FFXIV managed was to make an MMO that was better WoW in ways that brought in new players and existing MMO players with good story content and a game design that didn't require 100% of your time.

Note FFXIV also did something important: it made all of the content barring a few raids soloable. You can play the game essentially as a regular FF game if you want, only dealing with other players on the handful of storyline instances before you get to endgame raiding content. You don't have to grind, the main storyline quests give enough xp to more than max out a class or two.