Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jose Oquendo posted:

date/time
widgets
Live Activities
Normal app notifications

You can also put a widget with the date but I'm not a fan so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

obi_ant posted:

I’ve been trying to find the Nintendo switch docking sound as a text notification, but I haven’t been able to find one that sounds exactly like it. I see a few on the Apple App Store, but they all sound a little bit off or outrightly mimicking the sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You could make one yourself from the start of any Nintendo YouTube video.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I thought it was odd that all I got after installing it was a pop up that said “you updated to iOS 16” don’t they normally show you the new stuff?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

god this blows posted:

I thought it was odd that all I got after installing it was a pop up that said “you updated to iOS 16” don’t they normally show you the new stuff?

When you launch apps that have new stuff you get a little pop up. Kinda not as fun but I guess less effort for them.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

god this blows posted:

They did.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s no option to copy paste a subject into a different background?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm not quite in reading glasses and I don't own a sweet cell phone holster for my belt, but aside from a few gimmicks (Looks like posting photos cut outs is the new "Show my portrait mode photos for 2 weeks and forget about the feature") new iOS season is more about finding and turning off stuff like this than anything else these days.

Apple really wants users to take advantage of the new photos lock screen, which showcases personal photos instead of having the notifications take up the entire screen. They’re also easier to interact using one hand from the bottom of the screen.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 13, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

After doing another power down and waiting a minute then starting up again, I got another 5 GB of storage back.

Probably that was the OS flushing the cached updater..

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

god this blows posted:

I bet they made a demo slideshow and didn't use it because they were embarrassed of how little was in it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

obi_ant posted:

I’ve been trying to find the Nintendo switch docking sound as a text notification, but I haven’t been able to find one that sounds exactly like it. I see a few on the Apple App Store, but they all sound a little bit off or outrightly mimicking the sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

American McGay posted:

You could make one yourself from the start of any Nintendo YouTube video.

I did this https://voca.ro/1e1xiO5KGFPu

Edit: You might have to rename it to a .m4r to make it work. I can't remember

Edit 2: Fixed the file, so it wasn't called "Disney something" in the metadata from the Nintendo YT video I took it from

101 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 13, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just scanned my ears for spatial audio something something.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

Apple really wants users to take advantage of the new photos lock screen, which showcases personal photos instead of having the notifications take up the entire screen. They’re also easier to interact using one hand from the bottom of the screen.

Cool, but that's not how I use my phone (I'm a notifications minimalist) so the ones I get I want to see- hence preferring to turn it off. Making the update mostly about the lock screen smells a little like "Let's remodel the mud room since we're out of ideas for the rest of the house". I just read Macstories'' 16 page review of iOS 16 and over a third of it is just that lock screen. We'll see how useful Apple makes it once the live notifications are available but I think it's mostly going to lead to a lot of well informed back pockets since it's not a big enough feature to change how people use their phones.

As far as the rest, I'm sure it's nice that you can make amazingly intricate reminders lists now, but how many people aside from ultra power users (Who are most likely already doing these things with 3rd party apps) and tech reviewers are ever going to use these new features aside from accidentally turning it on and wondering why it's broken? There are good gimmicks like the lock screen, live text in photos, auto translate, and bad ones like last year's Safari kerfuffle, Slofies, and so far Stage Manager but I guess the disappointing part to me is is that the last few updates give me the impression we're not getting anything except gimmicks from here on out.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I totally agree that things like "showcasing a photo on the lock screen" is pretty weak as far as major OS upgrades go, and may actually be a regression in UI/UX from some users' standpoint, (I also feel it's a kinda dumb feature fwiw) but also what exactly do you expect from the sixteenth major revision to the OS? Just like phones in general have slowly but steadily all morphed into the same general shape/size/features, iOS is has pretty much been incremental updates for years because most of it is already doing what it needs to be doing.

Fair enough that you're disappointed, but honestly I'd prefer years of incremental "major" updates than Apple just totally deciding to reinvent the wheel every year only for the sake of having something majorly different.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You can edit known wifi networks now from your phone!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Smartphones has stagnated at this point and Apple is developing new features for power users that 90% of users won’t notice or care about. There are still lots of minor quality of life updates that even casual users will appreciate.

I happen to really like customizable scheduled Lock Screen widgets and Home Screens, but I also really love Shortcuts and automating things.

Notifications taking up the majority of your screen is something that will eventually go away as lock screen widgets take over the top half. They’re just pulling that bandaid off now by defaulting to stacked notifications.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 13, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can turn on haptics for the keyboard now so you get little tappy rumblies when you type

The Blackberry Storm lives on.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The live weather lockscreen is pretty nice - cool real-time animations. Great for somebody like me who literally never checks the weather app.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I totally agree that things like "showcasing a photo on the lock screen" is pretty weak as far as major OS upgrades go, and may actually be a regression in UI/UX from some users' standpoint, (I also feel it's a kinda dumb feature fwiw) but also what exactly do you expect from the sixteenth major revision to the OS? Just like phones in general have slowly but steadily all morphed into the same general shape/size/features, iOS is has pretty much been incremental updates for years because most of it is already doing what it needs to be doing.

Fair enough that you're disappointed, but honestly I'd prefer years of incremental "major" updates than Apple just totally deciding to reinvent the wheel every year only for the sake of having something majorly different.

Fair point, and I could have been clearer but there are things Apple could/should be doing like iOS wireless recovery Macs have had for years, improving Safari compatibility, Siri functionality, or really anything with the Music and Podcasts app at this point but those are harder than cosmetic changes, so Lock Screen it is!. Yeah, we're getting minor changes after all these years but to me they seem more akin to Death By 1000 Cuts than iOS evolving into something better. Giving these things as options is great (Can you imagine if they made Stage Manager mandatory?) but I don't think Apple is making solid choices on the non-optional stuff.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
There isn't a way to move the notifications back to the top, right? The "Display as" only changes how they look/stack. I can tell I'm really going to miss not having the notifications at the top. My thumb is already pointed upwards holding it one handed (yes, Steve, I'm holding it wrong).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Inner Light posted:

It may be impossible to say given that proper changelogs went the way of the dodo several years ago("bugfixes and improvements"), but I think it's new to iOS 16.

what was the cause of this, by the way? I found it kind of sus that changelogs went away, but maybe on a more mundane level they didnt bother writing them because Aunt Martha isnt going to read them, let alone update her apps manually.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was helping my mom set up her new lock screen on her 12 earlier. She's got hearing aids connected to her iPhone, and the battery widget for the lock screen seems to only display her hearing aid battery percentage, not her iPhone battery percentage like she wanted. I did turn on battery percentage for her, so it shows in the status bar, just not on the lock screen.

I was doing some Googling and I read that if you have a device connected that the lock screen battery widget will always display that device's battery and not the phone's battery, meaning as long as she has her hearing aids connected, it won't show her phone's battery on the lock screen. Is that correct?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If anyone figures out how to copy paste a subject into a new background let me know

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

I was helping my mom set up her new lock screen on her 12 earlier. She's got hearing aids connected to her iPhone, and the battery widget for the lock screen seems to only display her hearing aid battery percentage, not her iPhone battery percentage like she wanted. I did turn on battery percentage for her, so it shows in the status bar, just not on the lock screen.

I was doing some Googling and I read that if you have a device connected that the lock screen battery widget will always display that device's battery and not the phone's battery, meaning as long as she has her hearing aids connected, it won't show her phone's battery on the lock screen. Is that correct?

I am not sure on that. You can setup a battery widget on whatever that screen Is called when you swipe right on the Lock Screen. That will show anything currently connected and powered on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol iOS automatically capitalizes Lock Screen now

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol iOS automatically capitalizes Lock Screen now

That was the new MacOS.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Believe that was removed in one of the betas.

iOS16 sucks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

.Z. posted:

iOS16 sucks.

It'll pop back up in 16.1 or something who knows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dear iphone please analyze my photos faster so I can try the photo shuffle gimmick. I set up a manual one but I want to let AI run my life.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Skeezy posted:

It'll pop back up in 16.1 or something who knows.

I can only hope. Everything feels a bit too flat.

Really what I wish was in iOS16 is a way to hide the home swipe bar. It's been 5 generations of home-buttonless iPhones, please Apple.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

101 posted:

Fair enough. Is the time limit for getting it back to them that strict? I've only ever handed it over in person when I was getting my new one

I think it's 14 days. I just wanted to get it done early. All I need is the shipping e-mail and I'm good. Right now, according to UPS, it's still in China.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

.Z. posted:

I can only hope. Everything feels a bit too flat.

Really what I wish was in iOS16 is a way to hide the home swipe bar. It's been 5 generations of home-buttonless iPhones, please Apple.

Agreed. I’m also very tired of telling the Photos app that I do, in fact, want to keep my library synced to iCloud. Why are you trying to preserve battery at 99% power? How can there not be a setting to always allow syncing?

edit: Also, iOS 16 appears to have reset my keyboard’s memory with regard to word prediction, which is annoying. It’s a good thing the blindtype correction works as well as it does.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 13, 2022

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Wtf, whenever I check for a software update it tells me I’m up to date. I wanna play with AI dog pics, damnit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Frank Dillinger posted:

Wtf, whenever I check for a software update it tells me I’m up to date. I wanna play with AI dog pics, damnit.

Restart your phone. Worked for both my buddies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

iOS 16 left out part of my dog’s back leg and included some pillow. Steve Jobs would’ve never let this happen

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Delighted to see that with Lock Screen Widgets you can finally bring back the Next Alarm Display feature whose removal a few versions ago was infuriating.

Maybe in iOS 20 or so we'll finally be able to set a Snooze interval other than Exactly Nine Minutes, to my mind the most jarring vestigial skeuomorphic holdout anywhere in iOS. I'm baffled, entertained and confused that the iOS Alarm Clock still does this.

(Also speaking of the Alarm Clock, I swear I remember being really angry that they changed it so you have to type in alarm times on a numberpad instead of the clickwheels for hour/minute they used to have, but today I had to actually change my alarms for the first time since the pandemic started and the click wheels are back. Did I hallucinate this?)

(why am I more preoccupied with the Alarm Clock than any other part of iOS)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fedule posted:

Delighted to see that with Lock Screen Widgets you can finally bring back the Next Alarm Display feature whose removal a few versions ago was infuriating.

Maybe in iOS 20 or so we'll finally be able to set a Snooze interval other than Exactly Nine Minutes, to my mind the most jarring vestigial skeuomorphic holdout anywhere in iOS. I'm baffled, entertained and confused that the iOS Alarm Clock still does this.

(Also speaking of the Alarm Clock, I swear I remember being really angry that they changed it so you have to type in alarm times on a numberpad instead of the clickwheels for hour/minute they used to have, but today I had to actually change my alarms for the first time since the pandemic started and the click wheels are back. Did I hallucinate this?)

(why am I more preoccupied with the Alarm Clock than any other part of iOS)

Pro tip you can tap on the time in the click wheels to get the number pad

everyone’s satisfied now

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Buff Hardback posted:

Pro tip you can tap on the time in the click wheels to get the number pad

everyone’s satisfied now

why does apple make discovering these things so hard :negative:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I like the new lock screen, but hate that they removed the ability to set your lock screen as a live photo and then long press to animate it.

Is there no option to put a single widget all the way on the left or the right? Seems like if I only want one widget (weather), it forces it to be in the center.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Asymmetry is not Recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

buglord posted:

Restart your phone. Worked for both my buddies.

Restarted three times today, no dice.