Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imperator got really good at the end. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imperator got really good at the end. :smith:

It had the bones of an excellent game and then they just dropped it :negative:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Paradox games have 2 states of being: you either don't play it because there are cool new features coming; or you don't play it because it's a dead game murdered by Paradox.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Come on, release one last expansion for Imperator Rome, call it the Ides of March or something.

Edit: Also, give me a Paradox Ancient China game. And Sengoku 2.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Agean90 posted:

It had the bones of an excellent game and then they just dropped it :negative:

I'm sad that we never got to see the new subject system because it seems like it must have got fairly far through implementation before being shelved.

With the exception of trade being a UI nightmare if you choose to do it manually a lot of the game's issues are solvable through modding but there's not much you can do to make the diplo side of the game exciting

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1569325808606679040

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
To be honest, I like Stellaris a lot personally because as limited as the pop and ideology system there was, it was the closest thing to Victoria’s pop system in a modernized Paradox UI and almost the only modern Pdox game that allowed you to shape societies in a meaningful way. There’s a bunch of emergent narratives available just from watching other AI nations shift in ideology, and I still remember the one time I played an aggressive aristocratic slaving empire that, upon conquering a broad new swathe of alien territory, allowed them to remain as the upper class of their own planets while steadily shifting my own imperial pops into the new planet until I had enough in place to change the laws and depose the old alien leadership in favor of my own people.

So yeah given all that even if it’s jank, and it probably will be, V3 is an easy preorder for me what with being pretty much exactly what I’ve been groping towards in various games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Boooo, why were people voting for the most boring choice??

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Victoria is squarely in the Weeaboo Era of unsettling niche Paradox fandom obsessions (too late for Rome/Byz, too early for the Nazis or Stalin) so this was probably a foregone conclusion as soon as they made Japan an option.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 12, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never too late for Rome

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Japan is also the classic “take an uncivilized country and reform and industrialize” choice in Vic 2 to it will be good to see how they play in Vic 3. And historically Japan did lots of… interesting things over this time period.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Cantorsdust posted:

Japan is also the classic “take an uncivilized country and reform and industrialize” choice in Vic 2 to it will be good to see how they play in Vic 3. And historically Japan did lots of… interesting things over this time period.

Yes I think Japan is one of the more interesting countries in this time period. They’re essentially an unciv culture and become a great power. Plus you get to feed off of the plump carcass of the Qing to fuel the entire transition.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Shameful lack of Iranophiles tbh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wanna play Sikh.

I did it once for the achievement in EU4 and it ruled.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

DrSunshine posted:

Would I be stupid to preorder this? The last and only Paradox game I ever preordered was Stellaris-- against the common wisdom of longtime Paradox players to "Never preorder Paradox games". Fool me once...

No. Don't be fooled again.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I preordered the grand edition. I figure if I'm really wrong and it actually is awful, I'll get my money's worth complaining about it online in between still playing it for a hundred hours. But like, Vicky 2 objectively wasn't a terribly good game and I only stopped playing that a week or two ago to build up hype for 3 so I figure I'll be fine.

Japan is the only country on there that can do a lot of warring that isn't likely to end up with them being annexed, so hopefully we'll get to see more of the warfare system. The Japan AAR they did was almost entirely focused on internal politics so it'd be different enough.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't Japan the 8th or 9th Rome anyway?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Anyone stating that preordering Imperator was a mistake has never played SPQR in EU4 and zoomed in to look at their troops.

There's also some cool flavor mods, such as the Indo-Greek mod.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1569360589167935488

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Stellaris would own a lot more if they axed the pop system altogether (bold to say in this thread I know) and replaced population with like flat numbers that affect planet output like Sins of a Solar Empire or Distant Worlds 2 imo. I feel like just that would solve a lot of problems I have with the game anyway (and also performance issues!!!)

Armauk posted:

Yeah I'm not putting myself through this with any Paradox games again. The fact that there's no Gamepass release is a pretty big bummer though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Armauk posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I wait about a week after it comes out and see how people react elsewhere and on this thread, maybe watch some videos and decide then. CK3 was released in a fairly good state, so I have rather high hopes about V3, but we'll see if it's better to wait for a patch or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DaysBefore posted:

Stellaris would own a lot more if they axed the pop system altogether (bold to say in this thread I know) and replaced population with like flat numbers that affect planet output like Sins of a Solar Empire or Distant Worlds 2 imo. I feel like just that would solve a lot of problems I have with the game anyway (and also performance issues!!!)

Yeah I'm not putting myself through this with any Paradox games again. The fact that there's no Gamepass release is a pretty big bummer though.

100%.

This is why I'm pumped for Victoria because it feels like they learned everything that went horribly wrong with Stellaris' pop system and avoided those things. Also wiz dressed up fancy and I think we owe him a preorder for that.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Pretty much every mainline paradox game gets significantly better over time, so I'm not feeling a major rush to get it. The only real danger is ending up in an EU4 situation where the base game gets increasingly busted without dlc, but I think they moved away from that model.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Vagabong posted:

Pretty much every mainline paradox game gets significantly better over time, so I'm not feeling a major rush to get it. The only real danger is ending up in an EU4 situation where the base game gets increasingly busted without dlc, but I think they moved away from that model.

They sorta backed off to an extent, it's been a while so maybe I'm misremembering exactly what it was but I believe they added ascension perks to base Stellaris because it was getting difficult to do what they wanted to while accounting for people not having the dlc.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Honestly even all the people who were whining after playing the leak were saying the base gameplay is very solid and none of the stuff they complained about was that major or game ruining (and most of it was fixed regardless). I'm pretty optimistic, I feel like the base is very solid and the only likely game breaker would be well, the game not working. But bug fixes and messing with AI are bread and butter for Paradox anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My one concern with vicky3 right now from previews is that I'm not sure the AI is capable of making it to endgame in one piece

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

My one concern with vicky3 right now from previews is that I'm not sure the AI is capable of making it to endgame in one piece

So it's accurate to about half of Europe in the time period then.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I wait about a week after it comes out and see how people react elsewhere and on this thread, maybe watch some videos and decide then. CK3 was released in a fairly good state, so I have rather high hopes about V3, but we'll see if it's better to wait for a patch or something.

I'm taking the same route: Waiting for the release and reactions.

Some places online are offering 10%-20% off the game right now. I wonder if those deals will still be around a few weeks after release.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Armauk posted:

I'm taking the same route: Waiting for the release and reactions.

Some places online are offering 10%-20% off the game right now. I wonder if those deals will still be around a few weeks after release.

It seems like Crusader Kings 3 was always on sale for a few bucks off somewhere in the months after release. https://isthereanydeal.com/game/crusaderkingsiii/history/

There are so many third party PC game marketplaces that games are almost always on sale somewhere.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I hope there's an easter egg button in audio options to enable vic2 war declaration & factory noises

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If it's not a vanilla option, I know in my soul that the Vic 2 railroad sound will be a day 1 mod

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Poil posted:

Isn't Japan the 8th or 9th Rome anyway?

I'm imagining a world in which physical media for PC games never died, but neither did gimmick antipiracy--and to load the game from the main menu, each disc is printed with just a flag and you are asked to insert the nth (DVD-)Rom.
I'm then also imagining getting tired of keeping the manual on my desk and instead relying on some shady eastern European webforum, but having to remember that due to legal requirements in the poster's country their order differs in some positions from the North American release.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

I hope there's an easter egg button in audio options to enable vic2 war declaration & factory noises

Considering how CK3's war dec music works I would not be surprised.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

guidoanselmi posted:

i don't think i've had the sound enabled in a PDX game since EU2

i guess HoI2 Doomsday's menu theme went harder than it needed to

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

There do currently appear to be a lot of revolving door revolutions going on, but I'd guess tweaking the AI is one of the last things you do since if you change any of the underlying mechanics it'll mess up the balance.

They at least addressed the "get a major power to win all your wars for you" thing by the look of it.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So it's accurate to about half of Europe in the time period then.

Yeah this time period was insanely volatile.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They didn't transfer the cool little ingame newspaper updates for V3, did they?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
No, you won't see that "99+" icon on every Victoria 3 screenshot like you did with Victoria 2.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This stream is much better than the one last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ilitarist posted:

No, you won't see that "99+" icon on every Victoria 3 screenshot like you did with Victoria 2.

Shrodinger's Lincoln will never again know the joy of seeing a good play