Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

saintonan posted:

The bottom 3/4 of Florida was more or less uninhabited until WWII. Maybe folks back then were onto something.

This is… incredibly false if you’re referencing the south/southeast Florida. Look up the East Coast Railway by Henry Flagler.

Hell, Key West was founded in the early 1800s lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Yeah, that's where the "more or less" uninhabited comes from. There were less than a million people in the entire state in 1920.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

This is… incredibly false if you’re referencing the south/southeast Florida. Look up the East Coast Railway by Henry Flagler.

Hell, Key West was founded in the early 1800s lol

It also ignores a fairly robust native population.

Also, Florida is as diverse as the US on whole is. South Florida (Miami, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties) is as different from North/Central Florida in every way that say Texas is different from Massachusetts which is completely different than Tampa and Southwest Florida. The only thing we all have in common is hurricanes, heat, and a general loathing of New Yorkers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I realize definitions and actual words don’t mean anything since roughly 2016 but no, that’s not what “more or less uninhabited” means

You’re also not taking into account the millions of people who did not show up on a US census. Guess why.

Edit: Swickles nailed it as usual

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Well, the census included African Americans, which were 40+% of the population total in the early 20th century, so are you talking about Seminole? They'd largely been forcibly relocated out of Florida by then. There's no way there were "millions" there in 1920.

The main point remains that there weren't many people at all in Florida, and especially central and southern Florida until the first housing booms around WWII. I'm not talking about what Florida is today, just that their history is a lot more recent than other places.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

I got enough Florida as a kid. I can barely deal with the South Carolina heat. One of my favorite activities is looking at houses in Maine or coastal Oregon and pretending I'm gonna move there.

... well, what's stopping you??

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Trying to plan a child's birthday party and it's stressing me out.

My wife and I were never sociable and Covid ruined what little social life we had around here/ Our daughter is autistic and while she's way more friendly and open with others, she also doesn't know how to behave around them and has a hard time making close friendships as a result. Not to mention that she has therapy to attend and needs a set day-to-day schedule or she can have a hard time functioning, so there's not a whole lot of time for that. I'm at a point where I'm either going to invite the handful of kids she does know, a couple of whom we've barely spoken to over the past two years, or just saying gently caress it and inviting her entire class. The caveat being that that's way more than I'd want to have over and I don't know how well she's getting on with any of them. Family? Yeah we live a few hours away from them all.

I just don't want her to be disappointed. :smith:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Quiet Feet posted:

My wife and I were never sociable and Covid ruined what little social life we had around here/ Our daughter is autistic and while she's way more friendly and open with others, she also doesn't know how to behave around them and has a hard time making close friendships as a result. Not to mention that she has therapy to attend and needs a set day-to-day schedule or she can have a hard time functioning, so there's not a whole lot of time for that. I'm at a point where I'm either going to invite the handful of kids she does know, a couple of whom we've barely spoken to over the past two years, or just saying gently caress it and inviting her entire class. The caveat being that that's way more than I'd want to have over and I don't know how well she's getting on with any of them. Family? Yeah we live a few hours away from them all.

park birthday with a playground. bring some snacks, every can kinda do their own things. has a good time.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Neil Armbong posted:

park birthday with a playground. bring some snacks, every can kinda do their own things. has a good time.

Having just attended a friend's son's 4th birthday in a park with a playground, this is a pro-tier move. Enough space for social distancing, allows people to group together as they see fit. Also remember to reserve the spot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

seiferguy posted:

... well, what's stopping you??

I'm a syadmin right now and I'm doing a lot of self-study to move into a more security-centric role. I don't want to make any big moves until after I have more clarity on my career.

I do want to start taking some trips to various places to scout things out though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Having just attended a friend's son's 4th birthday in a park with a playground, this is a pro-tier move. Enough space for social distancing, allows people to group together as they see fit. Also remember to reserve the spot.

Neil Armbong posted:

Thirded, this is what we've done, too.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
For Oregon are you looking for the actual coast or the I-5 corridor?

I fell super hard against a dock on Saturday and I have two giant bruises in the middle of the top of my left thigh, which the cats conveniently keep jumping on and snuggling in to. On the other hand, I still have left over chicken from yesterday and some extra chicken that I got from some random people we ran in to when we kayaked to a park.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My cousin is hosting her baby's first birthday at the park so I agree, do that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

saintonan posted:

The main point remains has now been changed to* that there weren't many people at all in Florida, and especially central and southern Florida until the first housing booms around WWII. I'm not talking about what Florida is today, just that their history is a lot more recent than other places.

Of this, we agree.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Neil Armbong posted:

That is a good idea, thanks!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Quiet Feet posted:

That is a good idea, thanks!

for sure! we've done it for our son and other classmates have as well. just reserve a covered spot in a park and it's actually a p fun birthday for everyone and can let a full class attend.

when it was cold for our son's bday, we had a tea/coffee/hot cocoa set up in addition to snacks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Quiet Feet posted:

Don't feel pressure to have a big birthday party. My kid is only 3, but his birthday parties have been family only for all of them.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Scrolling through chrome’s articles you may like thing and laughed heartily at this one

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pfizer booster in left arm, flu shot in right.
Me right now IRL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18DjXWyWuc

We'll see how things go tonight.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Looking at wheels for winter tires, and the names are worse than motherboards. I'm a grown rear end adult buying rims for my responsible winter driving habits trying to decide which I like more, the ATONEMENT or RETRIBUTION.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Pfizer booster in left arm, flu shot in right.
Me right now IRL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18DjXWyWuc

We'll see how things go tonight.

Later tonight:

https://youtu.be/szHk2qvzUOQ

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/StarbucksNews/status/1569310299408465923

lmao good poo poo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
New. Coffee. Experiences.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Imagine trying to hop on the NFT bandwagon in the fall of ‘22, lmao

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Always good when your marketing announcement has to have replies turned off.

Freaquency posted:

Imagine trying to hop on the NFT bandwagon in the fall of ‘22, lmao

Seriously, I get how this happens, you signed a deal during the craze and are too slow to adjust and kill it, but still, lmao.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Remember when binaural beats were a thing and people where selling mp3s of like "drunk", "weed" "LSD" etc.

Edit: might try to combine the two into a new scam web 3.0 content program

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:goofy:

I have questions

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

:goofy:

I have questions

The answer is some VP of marketing doesn’t know what an NFT is, but it gets a lot of hits on Twitter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Looking at wheels for winter tires, and the names are worse than motherboards. I'm a grown rear end adult buying rims for my responsible winter driving habits trying to decide which I like more, the ATONEMENT or RETRIBUTION.

Just throw the winter tires on some steelies and go hog wild. Unless you’re looking to move the summer/all-seasons to some new wheels, in which case yeah, can see that being annoying.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I can’t do it anymore. I am so tired of feeling despair at humanity, and red hot anger at how STUPID people can be..so I finally found my backbone and I told my wife that I would carve my eyes out with a spoon and eat them rather then watch another episode of 90 Day Fiancé: Happily Ever After?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I can’t do it anymore. I am so tired of feeling despair at humanity, and red hot anger at how STUPID people can be..so I finally found my backbone and I told my wife that I would carve my eyes out with a spoon and eat them rather then watch another episode of 90 Day Fiancé: Happily Ever After?

I am proud of u

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Show got really really over the top scripted in a bad way. Had to drop it a while back. Good choice.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

I knew you hat it in you.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

harperdc posted:

Just throw the winter tires on some steelies and go hog wild. Unless you’re looking to move the summer/all-seasons to some new wheels, in which case yeah, can see that being annoying.

First winter with this car, so new winter tires and wheels to put them on. Did steelies a year or two ago on a 15 year old Accord, but that doesn't feel right when the car is new and pretty and fun and my baby. Also we live in Minnesota, so they will be on the car for at least 5, maybe 6 months a year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Starbucks doing NFTs like cowards while Mount Rainier Coffee offered me ASMR Journeys through the woods hosted by Seaman

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

First winter with this car, so new winter tires and wheels to put them on. Did steelies a year or two ago on a 15 year old Accord, but that doesn't feel right when the car is new and pretty and fun and my baby. Also we live in Minnesota, so they will be on the car for at least 5, maybe 6 months a year.

Go get some OZ Rallys and pretend you have a race car, those are canonically correct especially if you have a Subaru.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The fun part about living in my neighborhood is that we have two Seahawks cannon people so I don't even need to watch the game to find out if they win or lose.

Also I really don't want to go in to the office tomorrow but I have to, in part because a new office is filing on a case that I'd helped with and closed with kiddo being returned home to mom but things really declined over the summer so we're going back to court to remove and start a new foster care case. I'm kinda sad about it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I want it to be an actual bird-launching cannon

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Tuesday and I'm already tired. I have a bucks party this weekend and then a wedding the weekend after. Kinda just wanna be left alone after my brothers wedding this weekend just gone.

I love my friends and family and stuff but man I'm drained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sounds like a mental health day babey