Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My scouts just got to the northern part of the map and, for the first time that I can remember, Kislev appears to reign supreme. Normally it's Katarin holding out in her last settlement against like 5 LLs, but they currently control all three major Kislev cities and the oblasts around them. Kind of proud of the AI tbh.

The mountains where Queek starts have been an unabashed hellwar for 40 turns, though. Kroq-Gar and a few support armies have been slowly grinding through them, Thorek, Skarsnik and now Wurzag, and now Nakai has a new front against Khorne. It seems like it's all slowly trending my way but man has it been across the bodies of tens of thousands of rats, dwarfs, greenskins and brave lizards.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So with Ogres do I want to build up a big camp, outfit several armies with Tier 3 units, then go rampaging to set up my camps farther out for meat supply?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I forgot how loving big brained and sneaky you have to be to survive as Skarsnikt surrounded by massive armies of dwarves. Whole lots of ambushes incoming.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Thorek seems fun but holy gently caress you're just kinda stuck in a corner surrounded by assholes.

Also lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah for sure. The Norscans also fight it out quite a bit differently depending on who gets confederated or vassalized or what have you.

I wonder if this is seeded based on your LL, because for me it's been Wintertooth reigning supreme every time I do Slaanesh or Azazel.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jarvisi posted:

Thorek seems fun but holy gently caress you're just kinda stuck in a corner surrounded by assholes.

Also lol

I never played as/against Thorek in ME or really looked into his kit too much. First time I got into a battle against him in IME he did way better than I expected him to as a “support” lord. His stats were nuts! Makes me really want to play him soon except I’ve played Kroq-gar and Khalida and kind of tire of that area of the map.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

The role playing game detailed Bretonnia at one point. It's uh... not good but it's not QUITE that bad? For the most part the knights really do try to be brave and chivalrous protectors of the people and generally keep them safe. The systems the Lady put into place enforce it. But those same systems ensure that the upper class have no idea what the actual issues going on in a given village actually are besides if they're in danger of being eaten by whatever is squatting in the hills and woods this week because your not suppose to even slightly mingle with the peasants so their response to crime and unrest in their charges is violence as it's all they really know.

So every village understands it should more or less keep the lord out of things in regards to misconduct in the village unless things are really bad, and the lord won't poke around as long as the harvest comes in. It's... a bit complicated.

I mean alot of the Bretonnia army is peasants so its basically peasants keeping peasants safe and not Knights. My favorite Bretonnian units are Battle Pilgrims they are basically kpop fans on steroids, they might as well start hoarding the horse poo poo of a Grail Knight's horse. I do like that the knights are all heroic in action and the lord knights have to actually do crazy quests to prove themselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like it when Brettonian living saints charge your empire lines and get mercilessly gunned down by a bunch of drunks with rifles.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Kestral posted:

I wonder if this is seeded based on your LL, because for me it's been Wintertooth reigning supreme every time I do Slaanesh or Azazel.

I think Wintertooth just has a really good starting stack for AR so it can just get that ball rolling really fast. He usually ends up being fairly dominant in that region until turn 50ish in most of my games, at which point it becomes really random depending on who was won up north, what alliances and mutual enemies have popped up, and if any of the other people up there have gone on a tear.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I fought my first real battle against Brettonia earlier. I've only really done peasant stomps before, and doing a primarily foot Empire army against Knights is quite the experience.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TaintedBalance posted:

I think Wintertooth just has a really good starting stack for AR so it can just get that ball rolling really fast. He usually ends up being fairly dominant in that region until turn 50ish in most of my games, at which point it becomes really random depending on who was won up north, what alliances and mutual enemies have popped up, and if any of the other people up there have gone on a tear.
KING OF TROLLS

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I fought my first real battle against Brettonia earlier. I've only really done peasant stomps before, and doing a primarily foot Empire army against Knights is quite the experience.

Yeah especially when the AI decides it's going to micro the poo poo out of them all and teach you a lesson.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

Yeah especially when the AI decides it's going to micro the poo poo out of them all and teach you a lesson.

My empire knights stomped a mounted yeoman, one knights errant and a trebuchet so there were a few lessons that battle. Know what beats knights though? Banishment!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
You guys weren't kidding about Boris, man what a load of tedious bullshit. I tried to play on his strengths; he gets discounts for garrison buildings, can later colonize for free, gets reduced construction time for settlement buildings. This is promptly offset by the fact that it's mostly unpleasant climate in the area and you can't build walls in Norscan settlements . So spending the time/money on garrison buildings is a total wash as it gives you only a few more defenders. The starting province is a 4 settlement province which is nice as these are less common on IE.

VS Archaeon I got incredibly lucky and triggered an ambush within reinforcement range of a T2 settlement and wrecked his poo poo early on. But it's hard to get some breathing room as the settlements cannot withstand attacks from Norsca/chaos/Skaven at all. I'm thinking it might not even be worth the money upgrading them much as they'll get looted or razed and you'll retake them and be back at square one.

I don't know how you're supposed to hold this area but you can't just abandon it because it'll let the pipsqueak chaos factions get too strong. Pushing south seems the way to go as you can obtain walled settlements which are easier to defend with just the garrison. You also want whole provinces when possible because speed research/skills combined with the slowing commandment allow you to actually chase down armies and crush them.

Filling out his stack with kossars Boris does very well in autoresolve but he's only one guy and it's another whack a mole campaign exacerbated by Kislev's anemic economy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Anno posted:

I never played as/against Thorek in ME or really looked into his kit too much. First time I got into a battle against him in IME he did way better than I expected him to as a “support” lord. His stats were nuts! Makes me really want to play him soon except I’ve played Kroq-gar and Khalida and kind of tire of that area of the map.

Thorek came out at a period when the Dwarves ramp up time was so stupid high that you wouldn't see tier 4 settlements and almost every neat toy before loving turn 50, so his gimmick basically being "The starting units are all the dwarves need for the whole campaign, actually" gave me several different conflicting emotions.

He is definitely a big old mass of armor, mortis engine effect and caster shutdown though.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Caidin posted:

Thorek came out at a period when the Dwarves ramp up time was so stupid high that you wouldn't see tier 4 settlements and almost every neat toy before loving turn 50, so his gimmick basically being "The starting units are all the dwarves need for the whole campaign, actually" gave me several different conflicting emotions.

He is definitely a big old mass of armor, mortis engine effect and caster shutdown though.

To be fair grudge throwers are pretty useful for the entire game. And he also gives a reason to build bolt throwers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jarvisi posted:

To be fair grudge throwers are pretty useful for the entire game. And he also gives a reason to build bolt throwers.

Quarrelers also remain decent for the entire game imo. Can't really go wrong with four in a stack to shoot the poo poo out of enemy ranged without los.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Help do I want to play valkia or the everfailure for a chaosball playthrough

I fired up 3 for the first time there are so many choices

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Psycho Landlord posted:

Help do I want to play valkia or the everfailure for a chaosball playthrough

I fired up 3 for the first time there are so many choices

Valkia was really fun if you want to go heavy on Khorne meatmen. I started Archaon and got bored in an hour because there's no challenge, but it's probably fun if you just want to go on an unstoppable rampage.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

No challenge is lame so score one for valkia, the objectively cooler chaos person

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Archaon is indeed a bit of a faceroll but he does get to sample basically the entire Chaos roster, so he’s a good entry point for the new WoC. It’s fun to figure out which units you like best and then branch out into the other champions or daemons focused on the individual gods.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Archaon more like Dorkaon

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

I suspect the proper way to play Archaon is to curb stomp your local area and then just take the fight south while you have rear stacks leveling/taking out the rest of the north so that they can start pushing down in larger and larger waves. Trying to take over the area as Archaon got real boring real quick.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine the "issue" with Archaon and some other WoC factions is that pretty much ALL of the dark fortresses are in the northern chaos wastes and they are all a really big power/income boost, where as razing the southern lands doesn't really extend your powerbase that much so why wouldn't you want to just gobble up everything first?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's a 'good' lategame stack supposed to look like for TK?

I just realized that I've been playing pidgeonhole races a lot, and I'm not coping correctly with having a slightly wider roster availble to me (well that, and my TT preconceptions on how Khemri works). Teir5 is unlocking in my Khalida game, and she's running around with all these buffs to specific units so I've been keeping tons of them around, but I'm noticing that my deployments are very gunline-like and that feels wrong. Currently it's something like: LL, Wizard, ~6 each of tomb guard/archers, 2 each of Knights/Stalkers, 2 bone giants and a casket.

The bone giants don't seem to be doing much despite the wealth of large targets (what a disgrace!), and I could just stuff the list with SEMs once I get them but that leaves my other stacks in the same lurch. The other stacks are mostly running silly gimmicks like mass chariots with vanguard because it's funny, etc.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine the "issue" with Archaon and some other WoC factions is that pretty much ALL of the dark fortresses are in the northern chaos wastes and they are all a really big power/income boost, where as razing the southern lands doesn't really extend your powerbase that much so why wouldn't you want to just gobble up everything first?

Ya, this feels generally correct to me. I kind of feel like you need a way to create Dark Fortresses at location on something like a Rite cooldown or a big soul cost or something? Maybe you can only make a limited amount of them like camps. The current setup presently makes some areas just totally lame to even bother with. The placement is...odd. https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wne83l/all_dark_fortress_locations/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, they probably should have sprinkled more Dark Fortresses around the map. There's none that I know of in the Southlands, not a single one in Lustria (although that makes sense, lore-wise), etc. They're almost all up north, with the southern wastes having a few, and then a few others sprinkled around. The Empire has only Festus' start (Brass Fortress), Middenheim, and Nuln. Cathay has Wei-jin, Nan-gau, and Shang Yang. Kislev has Praag.

There's just not enough incentive to go south when there's literal money printers plastered all over the north. It's not until you capture all of those that you look at the rest of the map like "oh, yeah, that."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would make more sense gameplay-wise if almost all province capitals could be turned into dark fortresses, then you would have more reason to take varied routes through the world earlier.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Caidin posted:

The role playing game detailed Bretonnia at one point. It's uh... not good but it's not QUITE that bad? For the most part the knights really do try to be brave and chivalrous protectors of the people and generally keep them safe. The systems the Lady put into place enforce it. But those same systems ensure that the upper class have no idea what the actual issues going on in a given village actually are besides if they're in danger of being eaten by whatever is squatting in the hills and woods this week because your not suppose to even slightly mingle with the peasants so their response to crime and unrest in their charges is violence as it's all they really know.

So every village understands it should more or less keep the lord out of things in regards to misconduct in the village unless things are really bad, and the lord won't poke around as long as the harvest comes in. It's... a bit complicated.

the writing for that sourcebook was really canny, like they didn't just set up a bunch of soical rules and assume that everyone followed them lockstep, but instead actually considered how actual people would interact with an incredibly arbritary society (everyone breaks the rules without directly challenging them).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Serephina posted:

What's a 'good' lategame stack supposed to look like for TK?

I just realized that I've been playing pidgeonhole races a lot, and I'm not coping correctly with having a slightly wider roster availble to me (well that, and my TT preconceptions on how Khemri works). Teir5 is unlocking in my Khalida game, and she's running around with all these buffs to specific units so I've been keeping tons of them around, but I'm noticing that my deployments are very gunline-like and that feels wrong. Currently it's something like: LL, Wizard, ~6 each of tomb guard/archers, 2 each of Knights/Stalkers, 2 bone giants and a casket.

The bone giants don't seem to be doing much despite the wealth of large targets (what a disgrace!), and I could just stuff the list with SEMs once I get them but that leaves my other stacks in the same lurch. The other stacks are mostly running silly gimmicks like mass chariots with vanguard because it's funny, etc.

Many ushabti, both hand and great bow, plus a bunch of monsters

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I wish bone giants were better at the actual shooting but I think that'd probably make them overpowered since they have ridiculous health and can be useful in melee as well. What I like to go with is ushabti as my damage dealers, they are the core of any TK army imo. Necropolis Knights have been performing really well for me in TWW3 as well but I'm not sure they're much better than just regular ushabti tbh

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Panfilo posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Boris, man what a load of tedious bullshit. I tried to play on his strengths; he gets discounts for garrison buildings, can later colonize for free, gets reduced construction time for settlement buildings. This is promptly offset by the fact that it's mostly unpleasant climate in the area and you can't build walls in Norscan settlements . So spending the time/money on garrison buildings is a total wash as it gives you only a few more defenders. The starting province is a 4 settlement province which is nice as these are less common on IE.

VS Archaeon I got incredibly lucky and triggered an ambush within reinforcement range of a T2 settlement and wrecked his poo poo early on. But it's hard to get some breathing room as the settlements cannot withstand attacks from Norsca/chaos/Skaven at all. I'm thinking it might not even be worth the money upgrading them much as they'll get looted or razed and you'll retake them and be back at square one.

I don't know how you're supposed to hold this area but you can't just abandon it because it'll let the pipsqueak chaos factions get too strong. Pushing south seems the way to go as you can obtain walled settlements which are easier to defend with just the garrison. You also want whole provinces when possible because speed research/skills combined with the slowing commandment allow you to actually chase down armies and crush them.

Filling out his stack with kossars Boris does very well in autoresolve but he's only one guy and it's another whack a mole campaign exacerbated by Kislev's anemic economy.

I don't remember what maps Kislev walled minors use but most of the time unwalled settlements are easier to defend than walled ones since you only need to hold one point of your choosing instead of two specific ones.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TaintedBalance posted:

I suspect the proper way to play Archaon is to curb stomp your local area and then just take the fight south while you have rear stacks leveling/taking out the rest of the north so that they can start pushing down in larger and larger waves. Trying to take over the area as Archaon got real boring real quick.

The thing is having 3+ is god mode for Archaon and you get those very quickly next to his start. If you go down the very slightly out of the way route east of kislev you have two more literally side by side. Then it's just a comedy stomp where you can't lose. I didn't spend a lot of time in the north at all. They should call the campaign everybody loves Archaon because it's all smile and highfives until you reach a dark fortress and smash it open.

As I've said probably fun if you want a stomp but as far as being exciting it isn't very.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, they probably should have sprinkled more Dark Fortresses around the map. There's none that I know of in the Southlands, not a single one in Lustria (although that makes sense, lore-wise), etc. They're almost all up north, with the southern wastes having a few, and then a few others sprinkled around. The Empire has only Festus' start (Brass Fortress), Middenheim, and Nuln. Cathay has Wei-jin, Nan-gau, and Shang Yang. Kislev has Praag.

There's just not enough incentive to go south when there's literal money printers plastered all over the north. It's not until you capture all of those that you look at the rest of the map like "oh, yeah, that."

Tbh my experience has generally been that Dark Fortresses are economically peanuts compared to what you get from fighting. They exist to offset upkeep and little else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would make more sense gameplay-wise if almost all province capitals could be turned into dark fortresses, then you would have more reason to take varied routes through the world earlier.

I don't know why this isn't the case, honestly. I really love how varied the playstyles of WoC are but there's a whole lot of incentive to play every one of them the exact same way.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Archaon gets helped a lot too by having 4 quest battles available, where only the Armor of Morkhar one seemed to give me noticable casualties very early on. All of them are worth nearly 10k favor and tons of XP, which really alleviates the problem of actually affording to upgrade multiple dark fortresses that early.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ZoninSilver posted:

Archaon gets helped a lot too by having 4 quest battles available, where only the Armor of Morkhar one seemed to give me noticable casualties very early on. All of them are worth nearly 10k favor and tons of XP, which really alleviates the problem of actually affording to upgrade multiple dark fortresses that early.

I completely blanked on the quests because he was solo manfighting entire armies very quickly and I was flush with cash. Granted I only had two stacks but they were rampaging unchecked because the humans have too much to do early lol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
WoC in general don't have money problems because they get so many post battle loot bonuses that you'll regularly pull in 4 to 5 digits just from killing an enemy 20 stack, and once you start taking a bunch of dark fortresses they each produce a lot of money. In my last Be'lakor campaign by turn 50 or so I was running like 7 stacks full of mid to high tier units and still running a positive income per turn.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Nakai's quest battles are still probably the hardest in the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think it's time I visited my next campaign. It's time to pick a direction and start krumping