Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Charles Bukowski posted:

Duelists that run barrier statues in a deck have forgotten the face of their father.

Not running removal is a shame upon your dueling forefathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah just draw the out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh floo going barrier instead of uh...the mist bird is always welcome to me, i run monsters that can just attack over a statue, i actually have to bait the other guy

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Yeah, statue are easy to punch over. Only people with their life depended on special summon would suffer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The floo trap just flips your normal face-down though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The floo trap just flips your normal face-down though.

Is that searchable? Bc i think more of my floo opponents need to start getting it if so, ive won more then ive lost against floo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah you search it with Empen 100% of the time if you don't already have it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Welp ‘just draw the out’ it is :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just draw the right cards is half the game. It's a card time sometimes you lose to the draw. No deck is nor should be 100% consistent.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Just draw the in

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ship615452876/status/1569165592271405057

Phantasy Star Online 2 has the best character customization in video games and you cannot prove me wrong

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah just draw the out

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
But I can't run kaiser collisseum in old school noble knights lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Welp ‘just draw the out’ it is :shrug:

The game has no real resource system, so like...yeah this is kinda just baked in haha. You gotta play them hand traps

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Charles Bukowski posted:

But I can't run kaiser collisseum in old school noble knights lol
You can run Kaiser Colosseum in Sky Strikers, and it's absolutely disgusting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

The game has no real resource system, so like...yeah this is kinda just baked in haha. You gotta play them hand traps
Sortof, but I do think floodgates lead to particularly bad gameplay. A board like Baronne, Chixiao, Blackout is powerful but there's a lot of different paths to contesting and outing those monsters while going through your deck's combo lines. While with the Flowandereeze setup most decks are cooked unless they have either a wind special summon or a card that takes the Barrier effect out of play in-hand. Flow has a cool resource loop that lets you set up interactions every turn and I wish it wasn't so heavily dependent on this lockout style of gameplay.

There's a lot of stupid floodgates and overly strong endboard enablers they should kill really.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks I hate it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sortof, but I do think floodgates lead to particularly bad gameplay. A board like Baronne, Chixiao, Blackout is powerful but there's a lot of different paths to contesting and outing those monsters while going through your deck's combo lines. While with the Flowandereeze setup most decks are cooked unless they have either a wind special summon or a card that takes the Barrier effect out of play in-hand. Flow has a cool resource loop that lets you set up interactions every turn and I wish it wasn't so heavily dependent on this lockout style of gameplay.

There's a lot of stupid floodgates and overly strong endboard enablers they should kill really.

This is something very weird to me about overall Yu-Gi-Oh outlooks.

Board with literally more negates than it is possible to have cards to play in your resulting turn? Absolutely fine, you can live with that.

A single floodgate? That's just unfair, needs to be banned.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The obvious answer is they're both poo poo for different reasons, but need to be culled for the same reason: It's loving boring and/or toxic to deal with them.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yugioh is just a poorly designed game that relies on unchecked powercreep to sell its products, cycling between "broken bullshit" and "answers to the broken bullshit" and "more bullshit that outplays the answers to the previous bullshit", not unlike your average gacha kusoge. Yet somehow it managed to become one of the world's most popular card games. So we're already at a point where they have no choice but to keep printing solitaire combo archetypes, because that's what has stuck as the game's selling point, and in turn they allow these overly powerful floodgates and blowout cards to exist as a semblance of an attempt to hold the dam. That's also probably why Maxx C and Mystic Mine each have stuck in OCG and TCG respectively for so long despite being massively unfun cards to play against (that are inexplicably banned in one format but is at 3 in the other).

In an ideal world the game wouldn't have bloated to this point but this is what we're stuck with now until the game dies out at some point.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

This is something very weird to me about overall Yu-Gi-Oh outlooks.

Board with literally more negates than it is possible to have cards to play in your resulting turn? Absolutely fine, you can live with that.

A single floodgate? That's just unfair, needs to be banned.

The difference is you can play handtraps to try and stop the oops all negates board from being built, and most negates are good once per turn and that's it.

Mystic Mine stops everything, every monster effect, and it slows the game down to a complete crawl, and with the stupid new Beat Cop tech, drawing the out isn't even enough to take card of Mine, and there's a million ways to get Mine onto the field now.

There's like, a world of difference between the two things, between building a board full of negates and placing a single card on the field that goes 'oops now you can't play haha'.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Behold the absolute riveting gameplay that Mystic Mine enables:

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1561639724158050304

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I would literally prefer to play that Mystic Mine game than against an overstacked negate board. I dunno what to tell you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It's me, I'm the guy who thinks modern unrestricted graveyard recursion summoning is bullshit and floodgates rule

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

I would literally prefer to play that Mystic Mine game than against an overstacked negate board. I dunno what to tell you.

You're not playing the game if neither player does anything for 20 turns. That's what Mystic Mine does.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who thinks modern unrestricted graveyard recursion summoning is bullshit and floodgates rule

If there was anywhere to start on getting the game's bullshit knocked down some, it'd be putting a resource meter on the GY and Banish zones so they're not just "Hand 2" and "Hand 3".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The banish zone is the graveyard graveyard, anything that goes there is super gone! Oh, nevermind.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

How long until we get cards that make heavy use of banished face-down cards.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

They'll introduce a new discard pile where you have to tear your cards in half if they get sent there. It's what Kaiba would've wanted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BisbyWorl posted:

Technically, -18 years. Gren Maju is a deadly little partner of the Pots of Extravagance, Prosperity, and Desires.

There's that one Swordsoul synchro, too, because Swordsoul mostly seems to exist to be everything unfair about Yu-Gi-Oh that Yu-Gi-Oh players think is actually completely fine.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 13, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
60 card banish.dek is a blast

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

When you can pull off Gandora Gigarays you know it’s going to be a good day

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BisbyWorl posted:

Gizmeks.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

rush duels seem really good

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Only way Konami can fix this is through a full revamp of the Master Rule. They have to try out things like sp summon limit per turn, player 2 mulligan to start with hand trap, more floodgate-based hand trap like d shifer and token collectior instead of negate or draw/win more, etc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nyaa posted:

Only way Konami can fix this is through a full revamp of the Master Rule. They have to try out things like sp summon limit per turn, player 2 mulligan to start with hand trap, more floodgate-based hand trap like d shifer and token collectior instead of negate or draw/win more, etc
Trinity seems fun. I wanna play it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Special summon limit is the worst idea, go back and play old school formats if you want boring rear end control games

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, what we really need is something softer. Not outright saying 'you can't special summon that much in this turn', but something that punishes getting too greedy about it. Like maybe a card that says 'every time you special summon your opponent draws a card'.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, what we really need is something softer. Not outright saying 'you can't special summon that much in this turn', but something that punishes getting too greedy about it. Like maybe a card that says 'every time you special summon your opponent draws a card'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

drat, almost like thats the card cleretic was referencing