Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Stranger of Paradise is incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

RareAcumen posted:

This has me wondering something now. I've never played an original version of an FF game aside from the Tactics sequels. I've played FF 1 & 2 on the GBA, 4 on the DS, 6 on the GBA and 9 on my PS4.

So I have no idea which ones originally had a less than perfect translation, my experience is pretty alright across the board. Which ones got fixed up the most in the re-releases?

4, 5, and i'd say 6 too to a lesser extent (snes limits and censorship meant that a lot of plot deets for 6 got mishandled, but it was also very influential, probably still holds up alright compared to og 4+5, and got a fresh retl keeping the general spirit of it anyways)

if we're counting remakes then ff7 also :v:

Endorph posted:

ff2 is probably even worse than ff6 honestly. i remember an LP of it counting and like 70% of the world's NPCs die during the course of FF2.

ff2 is Up There, prob a tie with 6 and 10; 7s not so hot either but at least the world isn't a destroyed wreck like in 2 and 6

Booky fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 13, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So who else here has played the Alternate Fantasy mod of FFIX? I know at least one or two people have.

I ask because I am 100% certain Quina did not have the Blu Magic Shapeshift when I beat it years ago. This was a lifesaver against Gizamaluke at Level 1.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, I've only ever turned into three monsters that I can recall and it's almost always

Anemone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nncVAGUtkWI
Or
Gigan Toad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PxkbkTg-pk

If it's Level-based then I guess I'm stuck with these for the duration but they were awesome here at least.

Also thanks so much everyone for suggesting getting Oak Staff early. Stop is great but also Focused Drain wrecked Beatrix. And the other Chocograph treasure I got had the Magician Robe which is literally twice as good as every other armor I have now. Very handy. Even if I never gain levels, having really good armor should make things like grinding Ethers to ell for much needed Gil easier, or so is my hope.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 13, 2022

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

, but the psp translation is trying way too hard to be Shakespearian and dramatic in a way that imo ruins almost all of the best moments.

No it isn't. War of the Lions is in no way trying to to imitate Shakespeare. Like. It's several centuries ahead of Shakespear in English language evolution.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

No it isn't. War of the Lions is in no way trying to to imitate Shakespeare. Like. It's several centuries ahead of Shakespear in English language evolution.

Feel like you’re missing their point, regardless of the era the script is a bit much wrt trying to sound flowery and medieval at times, as someone who actually likes it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea it seems more like shakespeareans being used in the colloquial sense of "fancy and flowery" than like, how his actual plays were

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

war of the lions loses punchiness at some really key points particularly in chapter 1, where the original translation is at its best. ramza and delita both lose some of their best lines (yes, the famous one, but other good ones as well) and algus/argath's big meltdown at fort zeakden is absolutely ruined, all of the brutality of his attitude and beliefs is lost because he just sounds like a typical noble brat justifying his classism instead of an absolutely unhinged psycho laying bare the complete contempt the nobility has for the common people but if you're interested in understanding what is actually going on in chapters 3 and 4 when the politics start to get more complicated then it's much better. i personally favor the original translation after having played war of the lions once since i now know what's going on so i can decipher the garbled parts later on, but they both have strengths and weaknesses

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 13, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYDhjBgc78&t=2s

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, WotL is trying to sound like an Alexander O. Smith translation of stuff like Vagrant Story and FFXII, but comes across as much more clumsy, to the point where it can take you out of the game. Also, removing spell quotes was unforgiveable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, removing spell quotes was unforgiveable.

On the other hand, these spell quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mG8SrL4X1s
"To live by the sword is to die by the sword. There is time enough for regret in the flames of hell."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was going to say FFVII isn't that bad of a world to live in, but as I was typing out the post I was like "Oh yeah that town gets destroyed, so does that one, that town kind of sucks, that town's dying, that town gets wrecked during the story," really the only places that make it out okay are tourist resorts: Costa Del Sol, Gold Saucer, Icicle Inn, Cosmo Canyon, and Wutai. And even that doesn't take into account that Icicle Inn is in a fairly inhospitable area and Wutai was just in a huge war a few years back. Also Mideel is a tourist resort and it doesn't make it out alive either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was going to say FFVII isn't that bad of a world to live in, but as I was typing out the post I was like "Oh yeah that town gets destroyed, so does that one, that town kind of sucks, that town's dying, that town gets wrecked during the story," really the only places that make it out okay are tourist resorts: Costa Del Sol, Gold Saucer, Icicle Inn, Cosmo Canyon, and Wutai. And even that doesn't take into account that Icicle Inn is in a fairly inhospitable area and Wutai was just in a huge war a few years back. Also Mideel is a tourist resort and it doesn't make it out alive either.

The premiae of FFVII is that the planet is dying lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FF8 is pretty up there for worst FF world to exist in as a normal person. It isn't the absolute worst since it doesn't have a World of Ruin but it's still pretty freaking bad.

i would just live in a nice town and not listen to the moon screams, personally

ff4 seems like it was a nice place to live before cecil started jetting around stealing crystals

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel like the War of the Lions translation can be "too flowery" and still be a massive improvement over "I got a good feeling" and "the people of Ivalice had little money."

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
If you're going to play War of the Lions, I strongly recommend the mod simply called 'Tweak.' in addition to fixing the slowdown issue, it gives everyone innate JP Up, makes guest characters controllable, and lets you skip/force world map random encounters. It also brings back spellcast quotes. I've been playing with it on my Steam Deck and it's a nice experience.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It is a fantastic scene but, at the same time, it's so strange to me that I see this scene posted far more frequently than anything the actual important villains or characters say.

Bergan was a third-string bad guy so I'd expect stuff from Cid or Vayne to be more memorable is all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, good to know, it's just FF7 and 8 that have the wonky translations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the FF8 translation is pretty good for something that was done off a VHS recording of the game being played except for the bizarre decision to replace like 20 different lines from Squall with "whatever".

The FF7 translation was done under a horrendous time crunch and from a blind lines of names and dialogue with no indication of where they were supposed to go in the actual game

FFT I'm pretty sure was done by non-native english speakers also on a time crunch which is why it goes from bad to worse to illegible over time

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No Dignity posted:

The premiae of FFVII is that the planet is dying lol

It's kind of funny that the theme of FFVII is environmentalism with a fantasy analogue for fossil fuels but Corel being a coal mining town goes completely without comment and they double down on it in Advent Children with Barrett being an oil baron.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I feel like the War of the Lions translation can be "too flowery" and still be a massive improvement over "I got a good feeling" and "the people of Ivalice had little money."

l i t t l e m o n e y

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It is a fantastic scene but, at the same time, it's so strange to me that I see this scene posted far more frequently than anything the actual important villains or characters say.

Bergan was a third-string bad guy so I'd expect stuff from Cid or Vayne to be more memorable is all.

Yeah, but how often do you get to see someone yell "HARK!" in a video game and make it work? That alone makes this scene earn its memorability.

I think that, along with this, Judge Drace being in literally a single scene, but delivering one of the most consistently praised performances in the entire game is one of the funniest aspects of FF12 though. These random stage actors just crushing bit parts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Party Boat posted:

It's kind of funny that the theme of FFVII is environmentalism with a fantasy analogue for fossil fuels but Corel being a coal mining town goes completely without comment and they double down on it in Advent Children with Barrett being an oil baron.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of monster that vomits oil or has it as blood and Barret managed to gather them into a farm for harvesting. 100% ogre-nix.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I remember hearing that in an interview the writer claimed it was never about fossil fuels or climate change, but it was supposed to be about nuclear or something.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Speaking of localizations, FFV PR sprinkles in stupider and stupider lines as you go. It’s such a dumb game. The MC is literally named Butt. There are three female character co-leads and none of them have any romantic chemistry with Butt, seemingly due to his childlike intellect. The penultimate evil force is named, uh, X DEATH. Lots of stupidity abounds throughout the game but it reached a crescendo in the confrontation between X DEATH and a wise turtle npc. Won’t quote the whole thing here. I think it’s worth experiencing spontaneously in context, but the “tasty diversions” line finally got me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

ff7's world is on the verge of dying from end-stage capitalism and all of the nice parts are resorts built for rich people to hang out in

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of localizations, FFV PR sprinkles in stupider and stupider lines as you go. It’s such a dumb game. The MC is literally named Butt. There are three female character co-leads and none of them have any romantic chemistry with Butt, seemingly due to his childlike intellect. The penultimate evil force is named, uh, X DEATH. Lots of stupidity abounds throughout the game but it reached a crescendo in the confrontation between X DEATH and a wise turtle npc. Won’t quote the whole thing here. I think it’s worth experiencing spontaneously in context, but the “tasty diversions” line finally got me.

From what I remember about the LP the remaster is the slightly less goofy version compared to the GBA/old “remaster” script, if only because the recurring bit of Ghido making fun of Bartz doing the “Metal Gear” thing was toned down as well as Exdeath not saying his catchphrase “time for your viscera to see the light of day!” as much.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Death
Death 2
Deathaga
Hi-Death
Mega-Death

"Don't worry boss I'm closing in on a name for the big-bad, I can feel it."

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
For years, I thought his name was a reference to Exodus from Ultima 3.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

THEATRHYTHM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

THEATRHYTHM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will finally play theatrhythm

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

502 songs lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not enough

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think there's some level of Janglish pun meant for Ekusudesu --> Exdeath/Exodes. He's an evil tree made of evil death and he's on a journey to the void.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I spent too much time with Curtain Call. February can't come fast enough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They're cowards for not showing Tidus and Yuna plowing during Suteki Da Ne. And Kimahri looking unimpressed in the background the entire time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I'd say environmentalism is only one theme FFVII explores and Shinra represents not just a threat to the environment, but to every part of how we live. Capitalism destroys both where we live and how we live and Corel shows the tragic consequences of listening to promises of easy money if only you'd sell out your traditions and heritage. The theme is most explicit in Corel and Wutai, both of which have lost their past identity and become hollow shells of their once proud people.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 13, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Theatrythm with FFXIV music is a dangerously powerful combo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODX-GwpBHU

lots of tracks/characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Theatrythm with FFXIV music is a dangerously powerful combo.

It had FF14 music on the 3DS, the test now will be if they're going to go all the way and start putting the star expansion tracks on too, I would buy a whole expansion for a deep catalogue with stuff on it like Heavensward, Insatiable, Wayward Daughter, Sunrise and so on