Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is the arm still there???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Yes o.o

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

She stomped right through it, you can see where it tore off the rat in the bottom 2 panels

Which is probably why her power is still going, judgin by the light & Expression in the second to last panel.

this is going right into ghost cassidy's call out video

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if it's just intrinsically easier for a magical girl to stomp through a monster's limb with relatively little force compared to a regular person, regardless of strength.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 13, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if it's just intrinsically easier for a magical girl to stomp through a monster's limb with relatively little force compared to a regular person, regardless of strength.

She shot a flare in its mouth, and that just made it a rat monster with a flare in it.

She stepped on it with her entirely unarmoured shoe and tore its arm off.

It's pretty clear why the city needs to have teenage girls fighting its wars for it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vedika’s had crazy super strength this whole time, she just never thought to give it a try because she figured all the other MG did too. You mean you guys can’t tear a monster in half with your bare hands?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
HP's training is paying off. One of the girls probably dispatched a monster or two with a tombstone piledriver.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That is some very nice looking flare smoke. Smoke seems hard enough to draw, glowing smoke seems like it would be even harder.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

had to kill so many possums to get the right reference on the glowing mouth smoke

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Many possums died to bring us this illustration

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Everything's totally fine

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Magical Girl Pretty Good Shot

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Absolutely nothing wrong here. No sir, no ma’am.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That middle panel -- could she feel the memory-wipe coming?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I just want these magical girls in a series designed to make them suffer, not actually suffer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ditocoaf posted:

That middle panel -- could she feel the memory-wipe coming?

Seems that way yeah. She was aware of someone's presence in her head just long enough to try to protest.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As we speak I'm drafting up a "goops did nothing wrong" post for the day the comic ends.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I wonder if she'd get memory-wiped for reading Goops (since Goops is apparently immune to this sort of thing). Leaning towards yes, since she evidently retained something for a moment there, before it was wiped.

Actually, if Goopessa de-fused, would Tessa then get memory-wiped as well, since she'd no longer have Goops' immunity?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

It's likely that reading the minds of the monsters clued her into something about the truth of the city, and what the whole city is designed to keep sealed up. Anything that would clue you into the fact that the situation of the city is reversed from the official story seems to trigger the mind wipe.

whatever tragedy is being covered up is also what goops is pissed off about, so

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Long-shot possibility, Vedika isn't actually totally wiped. Either she's only playing along, or she's going to dimly remember what happened enough to be an X-factor in future Contessa interactions. We're long past the point of needing "ooh, something SINISTER is going on with the City and the mind wipe" foreshadowing, so this is going to mean something down the line.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's got the wipe effect in her eyes, she's not just playing along

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
We do also know it's not necessarily a perfect wipe, though. Tessa remembered Anemone telling her about Goops outside her window. Not much, but enough. Though I theorise that might be because Anemone telling Tessa that wasn't directly related to what she said to trigger the wipe.

So really this is all Anemone's fault. #anemonedideverythingwrong

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No plot progression for you! -LIW

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ragnar34 posted:

As we speak I'm drafting up a "goops did nothing wrong" post for the day the comic ends.

I mean at the end of the day she's still responsible for multiple deaths so good luck with that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No plot progression for you! -LIW

Beginning to suspect that the psychotic, mass murdering symbiote partly made out of the soul eating world-sickness might have a point.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Beginning to suspect that the psychotic, mass murdering symbiote partly made out of the soul eating world-sickness might have a point.

Yes, but she also has a body count.

I will be honest though she is somehow one of my favorite characters despite all the murders.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing the mind wipe effect going into effect here (& in general) is probably meant as an act of mercy rather than covering the dirty laundry. Tessa could barely handle it and needed Goops to center her; Vedika's already got her own issues and a power that's already "pretty freaky" adding on the choruses of a hundred souls (?) and any other ramifications from that probably seen as "hmmm this could be bad for her". Especially when she's literally on a ledge and gripping her head trying to process things

Kind of assuming the Founder has a lot of similar thoughts as Goops does re: the entire situation, but instead of "what if: murder?" it's "what if: ignorance?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This makes me wonder what'll happen if she ever gets touched by a monster and one of the other MGs sees it happen. And maybe sees her forget? Although I guess maybe then the wipe would just hit them both.

What if they're planning to experiment with it and the experiment result gets wiped, though? Do they lose the motivation? Go into a loop?

I wonder if she has touched a monster before.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 17, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

This page is very unsettling. I feel like even if whoever's mindwiping her has good intentions here, it's coming across as very sinister.

This comic is so good and its only flaw is that there isn't more of it for me to read :colbert:

blacksocks
Feb 20, 2007

studio mujahideen posted:

reversed from the official story

I'm guessing this is a fan theory? It does make sense. Have there been any such hints in-comic?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I mean, isn't the whole idea that its the last remaining city, and the barrier keeps the monsters out? maybe ive totally made that up in my head, its been a long time since I started reading

but mark and nico are clearly out of towners, and have weird technology

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really the only bad thing about all this quality wise - and I know it's a fault with the medium rather than any unforced error on Cagle's part - is that its IMHO a bit frustrating to read in webcomic time for, about a month or so (?), for the resolution to be "And no one will remember this so no progress can be made on this point."

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

I mean at the end of the day she's still responsible for multiple deaths so good luck with that.

If you think that's a problem then buddy, you don't know how much equivocation can fit into one post.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really the only bad thing about all this quality wise - and I know it's a fault with the medium rather than any unforced error on Cagle's part - is that its IMHO a bit frustrating to read in webcomic time for, about a month or so (?), for the resolution to be "And no one will remember this so no progress can be made on this point."

i mean, the reader learned something new and terrifying here, thats the point

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

studio mujahideen posted:

I mean, isn't the whole idea that its the last remaining city, and the barrier keeps the monsters out? maybe ive totally made that up in my head, its been a long time since I started reading

but mark and nico are clearly out of towners, and have weird technology

It's a topic not really brought up a lot.
Some exceptions I can remember off the top of my head
-Anemone is the one who ponders if they're the only ones left https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-1
-Will talks about how Fish are "some of the only animals" that can go through the barrier and that scientists have been studying them to try and find out what's going on out there https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-14
-Rue on the same page mentions in passing "The Collapse"

So it sounds like no one really knows much about what's going on there (except Mark, but he's not talking), other than it was probably Bad, but they're (trying, since avenues are limited) studying to sort of figure out......anything?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rannum posted:

-Anemone is the one who ponders if they're the only ones left https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-1

The phrasing does imply that she knows there were other people out there at the time the city was sealed off, at least.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One other thing to note is that in an early page you can see a history teacher talking about an event in "C.Y. 127". It's not totally solid evidence but it strongly implies that the city has been in this state of affairs for at least a century, possibly significantly longer depending on how long it had been a democracy.

Certainly long enough for any apocalypse the city might have been protecting itself from to have run its course.

One thing to consider about the monsters is that we do have another view into them. When Zoe's cousin Alex got attacked by one, he had some sort of nightmare.

They might well not be coming from the outside. You'd think in that case they'd post all the magical girls at the border anyway.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Digging around to see if there was other stuff I missed...
Rue talking about a conspiracy theory where there's a tunnel between the outside & the city (she doesnt believe it lol) https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-19
Here's Mark's journal from a bonus page, since it's tangentially related https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-3

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

We also see the outer barrier when Bud and Harley come across it.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-12

It doesn't particularly look porous to me, and their eyes gloss over with the memory wipe effect when they look at it, as if whatever they're seeing is being actively replaced. That leads further credence to the idea that monsters aren't coming in from the outside.

I think it's very relevant that Anemone thinks the great barrier is protecting us from monsters outside, though. Anemone is pseudo-omniscient and regularly says nothing should be able to happen without her being aware of it. Obviously there are gaps in her knowledge and things that are being kept hidden from her (like on this page), but if any normal person in the city had or was able to retain evidence that this was not the case, she would know about it. The same goes for her wondering if anyone is still alive outside. All of that points to the city government having no evidence of these things unless they've got some sort of memory shielding setup.

So the idea that the city knows something and is just covering up (e.g. Rue's conspiracy theories) is patently untrue unless they're working with the Woman in White or similar to disguise it from Magical Girl Omniscient Narrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Come to think of it, have we seen anyone get the magical wipe static eyes that isn't a magical girl or a former magical girl? It might be tied directly to the powers the Girl in White gives the girls, or the traces left of it when they lose their powers.

Anyone non-magical gets taken care of because they either get nightmare-touched and forget anything they saw besides the nightmare or outright killed if they come in contact with the monsters and would have no other mechanism of obtaining the forbidden information that is beeing wiped out like Tessa did when talking to Anemone or Goops or Vedika with her telepathy, so they all would be out of the loop anyway.

It might be how Nico is gathering intel. The golden creature is from the Girl in White, right? So he is surveilled and protected by alerting nearby magical girls when he is in trouble, but not stopped.

The mindwipe might not even be on purpose anymore if it initially was, it might be automatic.