Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Judon't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rewatched BR 2049, how did Wallace know about the pregnancy? Did I miss something or are we to (reasonably) presume that the LAPD leaks everything?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Throw Down. It's fantastic! Just a wonderful movie. There's a lot of fights, and usually when there's a fight in a movie it's because like a cop and a criminal are fighting, or maybe it's a martial arts tournament or something. But in Throw Down most of the fights are just because it's fun to fight people. Joyous, life-afirming fights for the fun of fighting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Very funny, and genuinely scary in a low-key way. Really pushed the cringe comedy until it wrapped all the way around to horror, which is kinda cool in and of itself, but then the way it piled on the ambiguity and just continually destablised my understanding of the situation was very very good.

And perhaps it's because I've wandered into a similar situation before, but I thought the film was very good at putting me in the same headspace as the lead.

Perfect ending scene holy poo poo.

Thanks for the recommendation Shaggy. Good film.

Glad to help.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gripweed posted:

The moral of Throw Down is that you have a limited amount of time on this earth and you should use it to connect with other people through Judo.

I'd assume a movie about Judo is also about knowing when to let people go.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

them's fighting words

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd assume a movie about Judo is also about knowing when to let people go.

Booo!

(I laughed)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Any recs for movies on youtube I could watch at work?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If your work is fine with ultra gore, there's Plaga Zombie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09EOSxk-X_M

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

at work means no subs, right? Can you handle British accents without subs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Srqyd8B9gE

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you search alligator movie or crocodile movie you'll find multiple movies about alligators or crocodiles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

If you search [. ] movie or [. ] movie you'll find multiple movies about [. ] or [. ].

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

Youtube full movies:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHPTxTxtC0ibVZrT2_WKWUl2SAxsKuKwx

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YouTube links with Movies Anywhere which lets you watch any purchased content from iTunes and Prime if you have any content there.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTRhxrTYl_o

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7142441283380972843

Might sound corny but Im literally getting misty eyed over reactions like this

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah the black Ariel reactions are cute, corporate wokeness virtue signalling propaganda astroturfing blahblahblah notwithstanding.

Also, Godard died, so looking forward to a bunch of cinephile takes today. I personally have not seen a single one of his movies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the black Ariel reactions are cute, corporate wokeness virtue signalling propaganda astroturfing blahblahblah notwithstanding.

Also, Godard died, so looking forward to a bunch of cinephile takes today. I personally have not seen a single one of his movies

Breathless, Pierrot Le Fou, and Contempt are all ones I enjoyed.

Also, that loving sucks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

rip

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Godard is deadard

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the same cycle as every live action Disney remake. The first images come out, everybody says it looks like poo poo, the movie comes out and everybody universally says it's significantly worse than the original, it makes a billion dollars, and then everyone forgets it exists.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
RIP to the guy from the silent film in Cleo from 5 to 7, I hear Breathless is universally adored but the rest of his movies is a coin toss on whether you love it or hate it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I feel that way for every other Disney live action remake but letting black girls see themselves in a princess role is pretty heartwarming

Grow a heart you cold dead grinches

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Usually there’s a random French adaptation that comes out a year or two before the soulless Disney remake. But Disney’s reach has become so wide that their competition comes from themselves with Avatar 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

I feel that way for every other Disney live action remake but letting black girls see themselves in a princess role is pretty heartwarming

Grow a heart you cold dead grinches

black girls should see themselves in better movies

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So my own parents were Not Online, what’s it like to be a kid and walk into a room and see your mom pointing her phone camera at you, and knowing whatever she’s filming will be going up on tiktok?

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

yeah there's a bunch of kids who grow up having a million strangers know their name, birthday, habits, embarrassing stories etc. Gotta be weird!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

well why not posted:

rewatched BR 2049, how did Wallace know about the pregnancy? Did I miss something or are we to (reasonably) presume that the LAPD leaks everything?

probably the same reason his secretary can just kill a high ranking police officer in her own office with no issue. Or to be less glib, just extrapolate google/apple/Amazon surveillance abilities out 30 years

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

yeah there's a bunch of kids who grow up having a million strangers know their name, birthday, habits, embarrassing stories etc. Gotta be weird!

To be fair, the mother states she thinks every child deserves to feel represented. Turns out she meant tiktok.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

RIP to the guy from the silent film in Cleo from 5 to 7, I hear Breathless is universally adored but the rest of his movies is a coin toss on whether you love it or hate it

There's a quote from Bergman that summarizes my feelings on Godard's work well

Ingmar Bergman posted:

“I've never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring.

Breathless is great and a needed move to shake up the status quo, but it feels like he never grew out of the constant need to rebel, to his own detriment as an artist.
He was also just not nearly as intelligent as he thought he was, the most memorable part of La Chinoise is Godard feeding his thoughts on revolution to Anne Wiazemsky who was in dialogue with a professor of philosophy. His total inability to grasp, understand, reckon, or devise anything coherent in his morality, philosophy, or political beliefs stands in sharp relief when put against someone whose more cognizant of his beliefs and is able to voice them in a clear fashion. It makes Anne sound like a complete idiot.

His movies are also boring as hell, I fell asleep during Made in USA. That movie is barely an hour and forty and I couldn't make it.

RIP to him

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My main takeaway from the Godard movies I've seen, even Breathless, was a very strong sense that the guy who made it was an rear end in a top hat. I know nothing about Godard personally, one of them when I watched it I didn't even know it was Godard and found out afterward, but I just get that vibe,

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i've only sampled a smattering of godard's new wave works and never quite fell in love with any of them (a married woman and week end come closest) and then jumped to his last two features which i generally liked, never seen anything inbetween (guess histoire(s) du cinéma is the big one)

i think he was the last one from that cahiers generation, so his passing definitely signifies an end of era that probably was really gone long ago

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Somehow, the Gundam Doan’s Island movie is getting a theatrical release this weekend (with a dub option, even!)

Crunchyroll burning that angel investor streaming money financing movies that take place in between episodes 36 and 37 of a foreign tv show from the 70s

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its not that surprising they already had Chars counter attack in theatres last year

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Godard ruled, haters keep hating only makes him and his movies more powerful

https://twitter.com/EtanHeytan/status/1569729650863271937?s=20&t=OFTBuX_I-LqTINdI7FWElw

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

Its not that surprising they already had Chars counter attack in theatres last year

They should have made the animation for Doan's Island look shitter imo

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Me, entering the dining from from the kitchen, to my dinner guests, smoke billowing from behind me: "About de souffle..."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

black girls should see themselves in better movies

Shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Godard was hit or miss but at least he was always doing his own thing. Even if that thing was sometimes utterly baffling.

RIP to a true legend.