Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m consoling myself with V’s national loss by hoping we have actually shifted power in Stockholms Län. I hate that I have to ask this but will C cooperate to punish M?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Even now L is saying that they will not support a government with SD and SD is demanding ministerial posts (which kinda makes sense given they are, well, the biggest party in the brown-blue coalition).

It is just posturing.
Remember that L sold out Alliansen last term and was still dependent on V for support against a no confidence vote.

BigglesSWE posted:

Hell world developments from here would be C booting Lööf and put someone who doesn’t have a shred of integrity at the helm, giving the right block a comfortable majority.

The jury (read votes) is still out, but Lööf is probably not going to stay on for the whole term.
She has been around for a while, this election was hardly a success and I guess 4 years of opposition in irrelevance is not really her thing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know what V actually does, but I've read their website this election cycle and it's just stupid.
Most of the policies they're describing are super vague "we just want equality and prosperity for everyone <3" with no specifics on how they're planning to accomplish anything at all.
Funny enough, since I could only vote in municipal and regional elections and I decided libraries were going to be my issue, I voted for V because they had some of the most concrete plans for library access, future plans, and funding.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/EN81EQbyTwQ?t=49

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

What is Nyans anyway?

The alt-right, complete with insane representatives, antisemitic conspiracy theories and a solid aversion to facts, but this time around it’s _for_ Muslims.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

I'm Jack's lack of surprise.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A facebook friend sums up the prospective government

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

One explanation for SDs success.

https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2022-09-12/sd-gar-framat-i-kommuner-dar-partiet-styr

Turns out they didn’t gently caress up massively when in power.
This is the worst nightmare for S since SD directly targets their core voters outside of the large cities

Also

https://twitter.com/johanwicklen/status/1569320579735355392?s=46&t=0qw9E5cMUydnOwSDUAXnMA

V down from 18 in 20 years.
How is that revolution going?

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2022

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How long did it take?

https://www.dn.se/sverige/sd-kandidat-under-valvakan-helg-seger/

quote:

Sverigedemokraternas Rebecka Fallenkvist utropade ”Helg seger” under nattens valvaka när hon ombads att kommentera resultatet som placerar SD som Sveriges näst största parti.

Still a lot of work left to wash away their brown stain.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dirk Pitt posted:

A Turkish party that wants to have systembolget open from Monday to Thursday. Oh and dislikes gays.

As someone who never really lived outside Mälardalen it was weird to see so many Turkish-Turkish names in their party. I remember from college that the Turkish exchange students were talking about how there were so few Turks -- as opposed to Kurdish-Turkish folks -- in Sweden.

Is the party leadership something that's reflected by demographics somewhere else, or is this a very specifically Turkish-Turkish organization?

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012

Cardiac posted:

V down from 18 in 20 years.
How is that revolution going?
I don't understand why people are surprised by this. If they had spent any time around zoomers they would have realised that they are more way conservative on average then the last few generations so the 18-21 vote makes complete sense. Why that is is a completely different quesion.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cirvot posted:

I don't understand why people are surprised by this. If they had spent any time around zoomers they would have realised that they are more way conservative on average then the last few generations so the 18-21 vote makes complete sense. Why that is is a completely different quesion.
Gen-X parents.

Alternatively, their entire lives have been defined by the world getting worse, which would make no-change an improvement.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternatively, their entire lives have been defined by the world getting worse, which would make no-change an improvement.

This makes no sense as an explanation

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cirvot posted:

Spending enough time around barely legals to gather statistically significant data on their voting intentions across the country sounds like grooming under disguise.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Spending enough time around barely legals to gather statistically significant data on their voting intentions across the country sounds like grooming under disguise.

but enough about Hanif

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

local apocalypse cultist smirks at lack of popularity of sanity, quoted as noting that the only safe expression of liberty is one which summons pestilence and famine unto the world

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Capitalism and liberal democracy tolerates left-wing parties to legitimize themselves, but it is hardly a level playing field. The left will never be a meaningful threat working within that system. Right-wing shitheads smugly asking about how the "revolution" is going when a left wing party loses a polling point or two tend to get absolutely up in arms when revolutions do happen.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 13, 2022

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Ever heard about this maybe unknown profession known as teaching? Jesus christ.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cirvot posted:

Ever heard about this maybe unknown profession known as teaching? Jesus christ.

Ew, disgusting. :yikes:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 13, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beeswax posted:

This makes no sense as an explanation
That's not much of an argument.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Gen-X parents.

I wouldn’t say SD&M is a no change, rather a change in how certain politics have been done for the last 20 years. As far as I know, robberies among teenagers have been on a upward trend for quite some time.

Groda posted:

As someone who never really lived outside Mälardalen it was weird to see so many Turkish-Turkish names in their party. I remember from college that the Turkish exchange students were talking about how there were so few Turks -- as opposed to Kurdish-Turkish folks -- in Sweden.

Is the party leadership something that's reflected by demographics somewhere else, or is this a very specifically Turkish-Turkish organization?

According to sydsvenskan, they are aiming towards both Shia and Sunni, so the Turkish part is probably the nucleus. They are finding a new voting group that is not represented in Swedish politics due to a low voting rate. Whether the party will self implode due to inherent issues upon success will be rather interesting.

From sydsvenskans resident AFA defender
https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2022-09-12/invandrarpartiet-som-gav-sd-makt-over-sverige

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

"Generation Greta" is trending in that the environment seems to be the last thing on the mind of that generation after all.

I'm trying to imagine what I would think of S if I was 20 and they had been in power since I was 12. And the last 8 years had been these 8 years.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I don't understand anyone under 50 voting for anything but the most aggressive environmental politics available. Maybe they are put off by the unchecked idiocy of anti-nuclear environmentalism.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Real loving surprised MP increased to 5.1% despite the energy crisis they helped create. I also expected Nooshis populist rhetoric on the energy issue to bring in some votes, but it didn't.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Nice piece of fish posted:

I don't understand anyone under 50 voting for anything but the most aggressive environmental politics available. Maybe they are put off by the unchecked idiocy of anti-nuclear environmentalism.

The message is a bit confused.

Through my lifetime it has basically been "we need to do X within 10 years, or we are doomed" then after 10 years the timer moves ahead another 10 years because we didn't do X. And then it moves again.

I feel like I'm simultaneously doing the right thing, but that we're also doomed regardless.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You can't in good faith promise "if we just do this, the environment is saved".

But SD et. al. have no problems claiming that "if we just kick out the Muslims, crime will be over!", in extremely bad faith.

People want the promise of a solution, not an ongoing process.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cardiac posted:

One explanation for SDs success.

https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2022-09-12/sd-gar-framat-i-kommuner-dar-partiet-styr

Turns out they didn’t gently caress up massively when in power.
This is the worst nightmare for S since SD directly targets their core voters outside of the large cities

lol are you mad? How can you say you live in Skåne and read sydsvenskan and not know that Hörby has been an absolute plague of political scandals for the last four years?

The answer is that people don't CARE that SD have massively hosed up when in power. That is a very different thing. Scary, but different.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/skane/succeval-for-sd-i-horby-trots-skandaltyngd-mandatperiod

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

lol are you mad? How can you say you live in Skåne and read sydsvenskan and not know that Hörby has been an absolute plague of political scandals for the last four years?

The answer is that people don't CARE that SD have massively hosed up when in power. That is a very different thing. Scary, but different.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/skane/succeval-for-sd-i-horby-trots-skandaltyngd-mandatperiod

Cause I don't really care about Hörby (and they had their own share of scandals with S). I also live in a municipality that is regularly featured in Sydsvenskan, and a lot of the time the whole thing is overblown in media.
And Hörby being run by SD haven't exactly deterred my foreign colleagues from moving there.

I did, I voted for more nuclear.
Because the main thing is getting rid of fossil fuel consumption and for that we need massive amounts of electricity.
Where nuclear is the fastest and most stable way of achieving this.
MPs environmental politics are short-sighted, nationalistic and more interested in making things work by punishment than incitament. They are also focused on the simple issues, while missing the big picture.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I kinda want a shitload of energy since it is the basis for a high quality life/gay space communism. Didn’t vote based on the nuclear question though.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

There is no "the most aggressive environmental politics" to vote for. There is "None or negative" vs "a pittance".

It's super clear that "adults" don't give a poo poo and refuse to accept that we need to change our way of life, not just buy a new car. I understand that kids stop caring eventually. I wish they'd start :killdozer: instead.

E: Says me, the middle aged middle class coward who won't :killdozer:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The idea of lowering production and consumption is the antithesis of capitalism, meaning it will never hold much sway for parties that are not comfortable with capitalist societies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Life's a bitch and then you die.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Cardiac posted:

I did, I voted for more nuclear.
Because the main thing is getting rid of fossil fuel consumption and for that we need massive amounts of electricity.
Where nuclear is the fastest and most stable way of achieving this.

God help me I agree with Cardiac

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Nuclear power
Nuclear takes

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nuclear, you say?

Jack Trades posted:

Life's a bitch and then you die.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the issue with the environmental question is that the world is organised in such a way that any sacrifices you and your community make will be too small to matter, and there's no particular reason to assume that other individuals and communities will follow suit. had we stronger democratic controls that might be changed, but we don't. effectively, then, you run into the ugly question: who's going to reduce their consumption to - probably in vain - try to ameliorate the environmental issues facing us? i'm not going to vote myself out of a job and into our incredibly vindictive unemployment sector if i'm an adult and my prospects of finding new decent employment near my home are bad. we absolutely cannot demand that the rich reduce their consumption, because they'll simply leave and our hands are tied wrt simply confiscating their property. young people are more willing to reduce their consumption, but they don't vote and don't commit to organisation and communitarian structures nearly as much as their elders.

so what it often amounts to is people working in offices with generalisable skillsets (i.e. educated people in cities) telling people working in extractive and polluting sectors to stop doing that stuff. the response then becomes "no gently caress you i like my job and without us you people are all cutting each others' hair anyway, find some other way". this breeds resentment, and because Greens tend to have a rather diffuse theory of political economy and social change they assume that it's because the other party is simply being reactionary, stupid and/or conspiratorial while they are seen as arrogant dreamers who don't know how anything works.

this is why the green keynesianism idea is so popular in some sectors - it promises a way out of all these conflicts, a way to make everything better without running into all these ugly, divisive issues against interest groups who will fight tooth and nail to keep what they have because they have no reason to believe that it's ever coming back. now the possibly most radical environmental policy actually implemented in europe, the Energiewende, is burning to a crisp in ukraine, having totally failed on the hoary old issue of geopolitics which we thought we were never going to have to worry about again. the response to this failure has been to double down on the necessity of american unipolarism and prepare for confrontation with china as well; this means accepting a whole host of premises, among them the necessity of US military and economic power, which in turn means accepting a petroleum-based global economy.

what signifies this stage of environmental politics is that we seem to have given up pretending that there's a way out. we seem resigned to reasoning that everyone's doing their best* and that we simply have to brace for the bad times. meanwhile a third of pakistan's flooded, and the indian ground water reservoirs are still being tapped way above replacement...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's no good reason for serfs to think about the future. Daddy needs a sixth yacht so you better start working now. Here's some extra bills to give you have more pressing matters to consider instead.

EDIT: Related

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Jack Trades posted:

There's no good reason for serfs to think about the future. Daddy needs a sixth yacht so you better start working now. Here's some extra bills to give you have more pressing matters to consider instead.

EDIT: Related

reported for ukpol derail

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They are already planning for blackout during winter in zones 3 and 4, I'm extremely looking forward to an extra chilly winter.
Might even save some money by not having to run the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Aw gently caress, did they just get an extra seat?