Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr. Lobe posted:

If you have unarmed fighting style from Fighter or Monk or drop the shield to draw a weapon, yes.

It takes an action to remove a shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Toshimo posted:

It takes an action to remove a shield.

Ah, I thought that was just drawing. Unarmed it is, and you're stuck with 1d6 damage die if you do it as a fighter fighting style, but you get a 1d4 bonus damage for having em grappled per round.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hey D&D thread, I have a question for people who play custom third-party settings (either homebrew or fan-made stuff or peoples' original campaigns or whatever)

Do you prefer settings that incorporate some elements of official D&D settings (like monsters, spells, classes, items, etc.) or settings where almost everything is custom, including things like spellbooks? If a setting is entirely made from scratch, is it "too much" to learn everything all over again instead of relying on some existing familiarity with D&D, or is that part of the fun?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 12, 2022

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I don’t think you would need to go so far as renaming spells or reskinning monsters. That stuff is pretty universally accepted.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

imagine dungeons posted:

I don’t think you would need to go so far as renaming spells or reskinning monsters. That stuff is pretty universally accepted.

Yeah I'm running a fully homebrew setting and didn't change any of this stuff

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm approaching it from the other direction - wondering whether it would be too much for players to adapt to if that's what I wanted to do :sweatdrop: But more than only reskinning and renaming spells, I have things like an entirely different non-vancian magic system in mind which would make the official spell and class lists feel a little out of place, for example. (I don't have specific players in mind to ask their opinion, it's just something I've been putting together as a hobby)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 12, 2022

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I feel like if you're replacing the magic system to that extent, that's not so much a custom setting thing as it is you making a new game that's largely based on 5e. Like that's not necessarily bad, but when talking with your players about what you want to do, you need to approach it from that direction.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gao posted:

I feel like if you're replacing the magic system to that extent, that's not so much a custom setting thing as it is you making a new game that's largely based on 5e. Like that's not necessarily bad, but when talking with your players about what you want to do, you need to approach it from that direction.

There aren't any theoretical players here that the setting is going to be pitched to (it's a custom worldbuilding piece that I'm adapting to various forms, such as a D&D setting, for my portfolio. I'm not expecting anyone to actually play it), I'm just asking for opinions on whether people like or enjoy playing custom settings that change the mechanics to that degree or whether they prefer ones that remain rooted in D&D, because I haven't played D&D since 3.5e and I don't know if that kind of everything's-changed homebrew setting is popular or not in the current generation of D&D. Even if no one's going to play the thing I make I want to design it with the tastes of theoretical people who would play it in mind.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 12, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If I was going to change everything like that I would start with something simpler like basic D&D or D20 modern. But in general I'm always interested in playing a DMs homebrew system, because I find new systems fascinating.

If I want to play a second session would of course be up to your systems actual quality.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For better context, I'm putting it together as part of a portfolio that includes adapting this one setting to various formats (board game, D&D setting, wiki, screenplay, etc), and choosing D&D 5e in particular because it's popular and has the most players, therefore it's the most 'marketable' and fitting for a portfolio

Rutibex posted:

If I was going to change everything like that I would start with something simpler like basic D&D or D20 modern. But in general I'm always interested in playing a DMs homebrew system, because I find new systems fascinating.

If I want to play a second session would of course be up to your systems actual quality.

But this is a good point too, and I'm much more familiar with pathfinder/3.5e/etc. personally. My exposure to custom D&D campaigns is things like old Dark Sun and Spelljammer books where the official settings included fairly drastic mechanics changes - like how in Dark Sun reading was illegal so wizards couldn't easily carry spellbooks or scrolls and your character had to find a teacher who could teach them new spells and they had to hide their spellcasting and 'learn' their spells in creative ways like weaving them into their robes. But it sounds like those kinds of changes aren't really a thing in most modern D&D settings? Like, would a 'proper' D&D5e version of a setting use mainline D&D classes and mechanics and just purely be about the setting and adding additional things (like a new class or two) to the existing mechanics?

(The casting system I have in mind is reagent-based and not class restricted, which may or may not be 'fun' but it's fitting for the setting :v: If nothing else I could leave wizards intact as-is and just add the reagent-based casting as an additional layer of mechanics on top of everything else)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 12, 2022

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like, would a 'proper' D&D5e version of a setting use mainline D&D classes and mechanics and just purely be about the setting and adding additional things (like a new class or two) to the existing mechanics?

yep, this is exactly how 5e works. even settings that should have new or different subsystems do not; the recent Spelljammer release almost entirely eschewed rules updates except for a single page on ship combat with a sidebar advising you not to even bother and one (1) d20 encounter table.

I know you don’t intend to release a commercial product here, but if you did you’d be expected to take care of any new mechanics either through subclasses, one or two new classes (5e Eberron added the artificer), or some optional changes to flavor. there are very few exceptions—Drop Dead Studios’s Spheres of Might/Power and EN Publishing’s Level Up Advanced 5th Edition come to mind—which get by solely on their pedigree

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

yep, this is exactly how 5e works. even settings that should have new or different subsystems do not; the recent Spelljammer release almost entirely eschewed rules updates except for a single page on ship combat with a sidebar advising you not to even bother and one (1) d20 encounter table.

Not really. Ship Combat works fine from my experimenting with it. The side bar was also not saying don’t bother with Ship Combat, it said that PCs will normally have better options than siege weapons and you can freely swap the weapons.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I know you don’t intend to release a commercial product here, but if you did you’d be expected to take care of any new mechanics either through subclasses, one or two new classes (5e Eberron added the artificer), or some optional changes to flavor. there are very few exceptions—Drop Dead Studios’s Spheres of Might/Power and EN Publishing’s Level Up Advanced 5th Edition come to mind—which get by solely on their pedigree

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for and just didn't know how to word the question, thank you! In that case I'll focus around adding the alternate magic system as a new class and maybe come up with a few optional flavor mechanics that aren't deeply tied to the overall package

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

something 5e has been doing lately that might allow the other classes to dip into your new magic system is adding a feat that gives you a tiny bit of another class.

examples: there’s Metamagic Adept (sorcery points and metamagic even if you’re not a sorcerer), Eldritch Adept (one eldritch invocation even if you’re not a warlock), Artificer Initiate (a cantrip and first-level spell from the artificer spell list as well as proficiency in one tool set), or Fighting Initiate (a fighting style option from the fighter class).

so! say your class is called Potioneer or something, it would be totally within the realm of 5e design to have a Potioneer Dabbler feat that lets you fiddle with whatever the lowest level or two of reagent is regardless of your main class.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

something 5e has been doing lately that might allow the other classes to dip into your new magic system is adding a feat that gives you a tiny bit of another class.

examples: there’s Metamagic Adept (sorcery points and metamagic even if you’re not a sorcerer), Eldritch Adept (one eldritch invocation even if you’re not a warlock), Artificer Initiate (a cantrip and first-level spell from the artificer spell list as well as proficiency in one tool set), or Fighting Initiate (a fighting style option from the fighter class).

so! say your class is called Potioneer or something, it would be totally within the realm of 5e design to have a Potioneer Dabbler feat that lets you fiddle with whatever the lowest level or two of reagent is regardless of your main class.

The artificer one sucks, it should give you an infusion. That's what our Eberron DM has homebrewed if anyone picks it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah, that’s definitely better. it also fits better in the paradigm offered by the others—spellcasting and using brewer’s kit as a focus is not the interesting or fun part of artificers; infusions are.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I'm planning to run an intro session for some kids, and planning to basically strip rules back to a large degree. Any tips on how best to go about this? I was thinking of things like reducing any kind of status effect to simply granting advantage or disadvantage, so they get a clear understanding that inflicting these helps them but without getting bogged down in so many different variations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

like how in Dark Sun reading was illegal so wizards couldn't easily carry spellbooks or scrolls and your character had to find a teacher who could teach them new spells and they had to hide their spellcasting and 'learn' their spells in creative ways like weaving them into their robes.

We always used a quipu-like system.

drat, I miss that setting.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Cessna posted:

We always used a quipu-like system.

drat, I miss that setting.

Ok cool is that one of these:

"Quipu (also spelled khipu) are recording devices fashioned from strings historically used by a number of cultures in the region of Andean South America. A quipu usually consisted of cotton or camelid fiber strings. The Inca people used them for collecting data and keeping records, monitoring tax obligations, collecting … See more"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

For better context, I'm putting it together as part of a portfolio that includes adapting this one setting to various formats (board game, D&D setting, wiki, screenplay, etc), and choosing D&D 5e in particular because it's popular and has the most players, therefore it's the most 'marketable' and fitting for a portfolio

But this is a good point too, and I'm much more familiar with pathfinder/3.5e/etc. personally. My exposure to custom D&D campaigns is things like old Dark Sun and Spelljammer books where the official settings included fairly drastic mechanics changes - like how in Dark Sun reading was illegal so wizards couldn't easily carry spellbooks or scrolls and your character had to find a teacher who could teach them new spells and they had to hide their spellcasting and 'learn' their spells in creative ways like weaving them into their robes. But it sounds like those kinds of changes aren't really a thing in most modern D&D settings? Like, would a 'proper' D&D5e version of a setting use mainline D&D classes and mechanics and just purely be about the setting and adding additional things (like a new class or two) to the existing mechanics?

(The casting system I have in mind is reagent-based and not class restricted, which may or may not be 'fun' but it's fitting for the setting :v: If nothing else I could leave wizards intact as-is and just add the reagent-based casting as an additional layer of mechanics on top of everything else)

One thing I'd note is that despite the complications added to spellbooks and clerics worshiping elements instead of deities, Dark Sun's magic mechanics aren't fundamentally different from AD&D's in general. Even with Dark Sun's very distinct magic fluff involving defilers and preservers drawing upon life energy to cast their spells, the mechanics were the same "Vancian" memorization and slots.

My point is that you can include some dramatic changes to the fluff of magic while maintaining the same core mechanics. I'm not sure that will work well with your reagent-based classless casting, but maybe the best way to implement that within the 5E framework is through magic items.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My main issue with subclasses is sometimes it feels bad to commit to sometimes months of playing a specific character or class when sometimes you wanna switch it up. Has anything experimented with a means of swapping subclasses on a Long Rest or similar? Something vaguely Darksoulsian or like the FFXIV Job System of being able to freely adjust your build?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My main issue with subclasses is sometimes it feels bad to commit to sometimes months of playing a specific character or class when sometimes you wanna switch it up. Has anything experimented with a means of swapping subclasses on a Long Rest or similar? Something vaguely Darksoulsian or like the FFXIV Job System of being able to freely adjust your build?

they brought it up in Tasha's

quote:

Changing Your Subclass
Each character class involves the choice of a subclass at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level. A subclass represents an area of specialization and offers different class features as you level up. With your DM’s approval, you can change your subclass when you would normally gain a new subclass feature. If you decide to make this change, choose another subclass that belongs to your class and replace all your old subclass features with the features of the new subclass that are for your new level and lower.

Training Time
To change your subclass, your DM might require you to spend time devoted to the transition, as you study the ways of the new specialization. This transition requires a number of days equal to twice your new level in the class; a higher level represents more to learn.

The DM might also require an expenditure of money to pay for training, magical reagents, or other goods needed for the transition. The cost is typically 100 gp times your new level. This cost might be accompanied by a quest of some sort. For example, a sorcerer who wants to adopt a Draconic Bloodline could be required to receive blood, a blessing, or both from an ancient dragon.

If you return to a subclass that you previously held, you forgo the gold cost, and the time required for the transition is halved.

Sudden Change
Sometimes a character undergoes a dramatic transformation in their beliefs and abilities. When a character experiences a profound self-realization or faces an entity or a place of overwhelming power, beauty, or terror, the DM might allow an immediate subclass change. Here are a few examples:

An Oath of Devotion paladin failed to stop a demonic horde from ravaging her homeland. After spending a night in sorrowful prayer, she rises the next morning with the features of the Oath of Vengeance, ready to hunt down the horde.
A wizard lies down for a nap beneath an oak tree whose roots reach into the Feywild. In his dreams, he faces visions of multiple possible futures. When he awakens, his subclass features have been replaced by those of the School of Divination.
A cleric of the War Domain has spent years in conflict with the enemies of her temple. But one day, she wanders into a sun-dappled glade, where her god once shed a tear of mercy over the world’s suffering. Drinking from the glade’s brook, the cleric is filled with such compassion for all people that she now bears the powers of the Life Domain, ready to heal rather than make war.

So like they say it's something you should be allowed to do, but I don't think it would work as a frequent thing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I don't think it should be a frequent thing but if you're not feeling your subclass, talk to your DM. I'm sure they can work out a story reason to swap things (like the paladin in my game who's changing to nature after killing the target of his vengeance oath)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Spelljammer vs Spelljammer combat is pretty funny, my players figured out very quick that blapping the enemy spelljammer guy basically wins the fight. I was like well, having the mage sit in the basement of the ship protected is boring, so I'm considering letting spelljammers jam from anywhere. But regardless, the ship to ship combat, flinging seige engine stuff at each other is boring, I can see my players just boarding and fighting skirmish style anyways. I wonder if there's a way to abstract it, have everyone make a skill roll to aggregate to a larger check adn thats like, setting the advantage or disadvantage of boarding.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

change my name posted:

I don't think it should be a frequent thing but if you're not feeling your subclass, talk to your DM. I'm sure they can work out a story reason to swap things (like the paladin in my game who's changing to nature after killing the target of his vengeance oath)

you can actually change your subclass pretty simply using rules in tashas, based off what you are looking to do

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

The solution to this is multiple PCs per player. Your only allowed to play one at a time, the other one is busy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jables88 posted:

Ok cool is that one of these:

"Quipu (also spelled khipu) are recording devices fashioned from strings historically used by a number of cultures in the region of Andean South America. A quipu usually consisted of cotton or camelid fiber strings. The Inca people used them for collecting data and keeping records, monitoring tax obligations, collecting … See more"

Yes, that's it. They're fascinating:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

they brought it up in Tasha's

So like they say it's something you should be allowed to do, but I don't think it would work as a frequent thing.
My DM allowed me to respec, but with the wording something like "and since you're here, if anyone wants to take time to change their subclass they can." So I switched Drunken Master for Kensei and ever since then has taken every opportunity to ominously hint at the things that happened in the background while I cost us a month training.

So if anyone is going to do something like that and impose story penalties, make sure your players know about it beforehand.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I wrote up some homebrew 5e subclass ideas, one for each class and am hoping for some feedback. Is this the best thread to post them?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Reo posted:

I wrote up some homebrew 5e subclass ideas, one for each class and am hoping for some feedback. Is this the best thread to post them?

Yeah, post away.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Thanks! I'm looking for general feedback, just like "does that sound cool," as well as if anyone more experienced knows if I've done anything that will suck to play / absolutely break the game.

I tried to approach building them from strong themes first, then build the mechanics from there. Synergy sorcerer and Battleflow monk are probably the most wacky concepts.

Been a while since I've done any bbcode, hope this is correct:

Artificer Appareler Specialist
Barbarian Path of Revelry
Bard College of Counsel
Cleric Hearth Domain
Druid Circle of The Body
Fighter Shield Bastion Archetype
Monk Way of Battle Flow
Paladin Oath of Liberty
Ranger Discoverer Conclave
Rogue Rapscallion Archetype
Sorcerer Synergy Sorcerous Origin
Warlock Sacred Tree Patron
Wizard School of Echoes

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Reo posted:

Thanks! I'm looking for general feedback, just like "does that sound cool," as well as if anyone more experienced knows if I've done anything that will suck to play / absolutely break the game.

I tried to approach building them from strong themes first, then build the mechanics from there. Synergy sorcerer and Battleflow monk are probably the most wacky concepts.

Been a while since I've done any bbcode, hope this is correct:

Druid Circle of The Body

Homeopathic Remedy should just be the create water spell with extra somatic requirements.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

And a material component of a bottle of water

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

No - but I have had subclass changes under two conditions. First that you get to change anything you like either in your first three sessions of playing your character or after your first session with a feat or subclass. Second that you can change your subclass (or have it changed) as a significant narrative event either through reckless experimentation with magic (an unnecessary magical heart transplant turned a battlemaster into an echo knight) or through changing your approach significantly whether through rituals and rites or through trying to find a new patron as a warlock or deciding you swore the wrong oath or turning your back on your oath as a paladin. Your subclass is a big part of who you are - but people change.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

No - but I have had subclass changes under two conditions. First that you get to change anything you like either in your first three sessions of playing your character or after your first session with a feat or subclass. Second that you can change your subclass (or have it changed) as a significant narrative event either through reckless experimentation with magic (an unnecessary magical heart transplant turned a battlemaster into an echo knight) or through changing your approach significantly whether through rituals and rites or through trying to find a new patron as a warlock or deciding you swore the wrong oath or turning your back on your oath as a paladin. Your subclass is a big part of who you are - but people change.

I had a player who was playing the original PHB beastmaster ranger and when the gloomstalker came out we arranged for her to switch when her animal companion sacrificed itself to save her life in a close battle.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay, a few remarks on the Rapscallion oh poo poo you are dropping poo poo:

Cutpurse: It's not clear if the target will be aware of the object dropping (or if they are under attack at all) when someone use the Cutpurse technique. Also it's overall pretty much weak for a level 3 archetype feat. Some subclasses gain spell casting or advantage and auto-crit under certain conditions. Or you know PSYCHIC DAGGERS. Or Aid from a distance. Or free proficiency. Or free disengages.

Appraisal: is okay and useful for the theme i guess.

Measure of fortune: is okay mechanically for a level 13th ability but it's thematically a really weird luck manipulation ability. I like it's a proficiency bonus number of uses.

Cut down to size: is meh. I just don't understand the actual usage scenario: i am cut pursing some item and suddenly i can decide "nah gonna sneak-attack that bitch too". Just allow any attack to be either an attack or a cutpurse or both, i think that's the point and you should make that clearer. Also it should be part of the level 3 ability.

Overall Rapscallion is a rather weird class, you can drop items from your target with non lethal no-damage "attacks", you can guess armor class, the number of magic item and the money on the target (which synergize well with the first ability), you can cancel critical hits and turn them into extra roll for someone else, and the final power is just something that should be part of the level 3 ability from the start. Do that and find something that make a better capstone, like a disarming strike.
e: maybe make Measure of fortune into Reversal of Fortune: cancel a crit against you and your next attack on that target is with advantage.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 13, 2022

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I love the flavor of rapscallion but the mechanics seem extremely weak compared to other classes. I’d rather be a Swashbuckler and just flavor myself as a rapscallion from background/traits.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Summit posted:

I love the flavor of rapscallion but the mechanics seem extremely weak compared to other classes. I’d rather be a Swashbuckler and just flavor myself as a rapscallion from background/traits.

the thing that you have to understand about making custom stuff is you actually kind of want it to be a little bit overpowered, for this exact reason. lurkers and homebrewers take note: the worst possible response for an archetype being slightly overpowered is good because the alternative is someone thinks the idea is cool but gets disappointed by how weak the options are. you can power up the party to match one person who is slightly overperforming, but buffing up weak mechanics is harder

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
It's also easier to aim high and start slightly peeling back the OP stuff than it is to shoot to low and start spitballing buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I Just expect any "splat book" to be OP and just understand that, if you're something like Pathfinder 1 where the splat book landscape is enormous, it's also a game that diverges wildly in practice from the implications of the core book.

So yeah, make them OP; people SHOULD be picking these kits anyway because, what, do you want someone to look at them and conclude they'll just play a Dispell focused mage instead of your kit?