Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Beets,
Bears
Battlestar galactica

(Im sure itll be fine, give me a splatfest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cats vs Dogs vs PETA Supporters

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gently caress ya, new splatfest

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You need food to live, seems extremely obvious. Have fun starving during your fun, losers!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So Grub is going to win with 75% weight right? Who goes to a deserted island and goes "well I better bring a deck of playing cards"

Well unless it's a cartoon island with a single magical replenishing coconut tree.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNA/status/1569703700607680520

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Obviously if you bring gear you can get food on the island using the gear. Gear supreme.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This is my first Splatoon game what's a splatfest, in 4 sentences or less

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You pick a team and the teams fight in special turf wars all weekend on special maps. Winning team gets bragging rights and extra Super Sea Snails (used for modifying gear to be extra Fresh). Obviously the bragging rights are more important. Fourth sentence.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Riven posted:

Obviously if you bring gear you can get food on the island using the gear. Gear supreme.

This. I've seen enough Survivorman with Les Stroud to know what they correct answer is. Ironically, the remaining two would be nearly tied in flavor of food since he always mentioned having something to boost morale was important in a survival situation(hence his famous harmonica).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Seems this is their temporary fix for nerfing tri-colors. It's a known issue that they need rebalancing, which they stated they'll do later. Probably could get the fix out in time so just dialing them down is their solution.

For those wondering why this is being done, the defending team doesn't get a choice on partaking or not. It's RNG if you get into a normal or tri-color match.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 13, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

This. I've seen enough Survivorman with Les Stroud to know what they correct answer is. Ironically, the remaining two would be nearly tied in flavor of food since he always mentioned having something to boost morale was important in a survival situation(hence his famous harmonica).

Depends on what you mean by "deserted island" because my mind goes to one like this

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Having a way to fish/some way of desalinating water would still be absurdly useful as well as cover.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on what you mean by "deserted island" because my mind goes to one like this

Just bring scuba gear to steal the pineapple under the sea then

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm mostly baffled at them using the word 'grub'. Like, maybe they were trying to use alliteration, but they couldn't come up with a word starting with g for 'fun' but they were very insistent on still using grub for some reason...

In any event yes this is one of those splatfests with an objective answer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

doomrider7 posted:

Nah. I'd rather have food, because I am not eating whatever the gently caress is on that island.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ChaseSP posted:

Having a way to fish/some way of desalinating water would still be absurdly useful as well as cover.

I'd bring a boat so I could leave the island.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Good lord I love Salmon Run but I can't use any of these weapons for poo poo. I still don't get what the intended use of the Splatanas is.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's a mid-ranged weapon but the charge slice can murder the big guys in melee so that's a good use.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

It's a mid-ranged weapon but the charge slice can murder the big guys in melee so that's a good use.

Yeah I didn't realize it til dicking around in the practice area but if you charge up and then do a forward movement + release then you do a little dash forward and can hit people in melee for big damage.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nah. I'd rather have food, because I am not eating whatever the gently caress is on that island.

what are you going to do once you run out of food dummy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Futaba Anzu posted:

what are you going to do once you run out of food dummy

No time limit was specified. Nor was there a food limit.

:colbert:

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Did a salmon run yesterday, got the little tower boss with the annoying fish hanging out at the top, so all four of us went up to take care of it.

What we didn't expect was a maw spawning and getting all four of us in one swoop, I was legit crying of laughter when it happened, this game's great!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hellioning posted:

they couldn't come up with a word starting with g for 'fun'

Man there must be something for this. Something we could do for fun. Something we could play maybe. Like maybe on a board, or using cards, or by playing roles, or with some kind of moving picture technology. It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh gee. Gosh. Golly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

Man there must be something for this. Something we could do for fun. Something we could play maybe. Like maybe on a board, or using cards, or by playing roles, or with some kind of moving picture technology. It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh gee. Gosh. Golly.

I know, it's like they don't even know the word "gentertainment"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Araxxor posted:

Seems this is their temporary fix for nerfing tri-colors. It's a known issue that they need rebalancing, which they stated they'll do later. Probably could get the fix out in time so just dialing them down is their solution.

For those wondering why this is being done, the defending team doesn't get a choice on partaking or not. It's RNG if you get into a normal or tri-color match.

I thought it's more so because tri-color battles just kind of sucked.

They used to do a "Shifty Station" for Splatfests. They need to create new arenas for tri-color battles that are properly mirrored in 3 parts that's more like a triangular shaped level (or maybe a circular level split into mirrored thirds). It should be 2 vs 2 vs 2. Basically you start at your own team's spawn point. You move forward and ink your own turf, then you and your teammate have to split directions to take on the other two teams turfs. So the arena forces these 1 on 1 battles. And if you get splatted, the opponent is then going to be able to easily move into your own turf, and you teammate needs to decide if they are either going to go on the offense into the opponents turf, or go on defense and go back to stop the other incoming team.

It would certainly be a fun way to change up the game. I think it would being a whole new mindset of how to play the game

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i liked the tricolor battles in the last splatfest but i was also playing as paper so i could matchmake into any game mode and be guaranteed that it would put me in that mode

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah I didn't realize it til dicking around in the practice area but if you charge up and then do a forward movement + release then you do a little dash forward and can hit people in melee for big damage.

The GrizzCo testing range is great for learning how weapons work in Salmon Run because they have entirely different stats there. Play around with the weapons so you know what they’re good at and what they suck at even if you think you know the weapon from PVP. Some weapons play entirely differently. Like the Dynamo Roller should basically never roll to attack in PVP, but in SR rolling is their best dps option while flicking is just for painting.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Use the charged slash against big dudes, but against swarms the little forward dash WILL gently caress you up.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Rollers on glowfly waves are extremely my poo poo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I haven’t tried the current weapon set but Chargers can be really rough in salmon run. You have to cover the person with the charger or else they’ll get overwhelmed.

But don’t stand directly in front of your ally or you’ll block their ink, as I found out numerous times last night :doh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bonby posted:

Did a salmon run yesterday, got the little tower boss with the annoying fish hanging out at the top, so all four of us went up to take care of it.

What we didn't expect was a maw spawning and getting all four of us in one swoop, I was legit crying of laughter when it happened, this game's great!

this happens often enough that I have started moving the other way from towers just in case I have to go save everyone

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Team Gear! I fear it’s shiver again isn’t it? I don’t want to be with shiver necessarily but like they know what’s up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Team Gear! I fear it’s shiver again isn’t it? I don’t want to be with shiver necessarily but like they know what’s up.

shiver is cool

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shiver has to be straight man to both Frye and Big Man so I suspect she will get a lot of the Correct answers to a lot of things.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Araxxor posted:

The GrizzCo testing range is great for learning how weapons work in Salmon Run because they have entirely different stats there. Play around with the weapons so you know what they’re good at and what they suck at even if you think you know the weapon from PVP. Some weapons play entirely differently. Like the Dynamo Roller should basically never roll to attack in PVP, but in SR rolling is their best dps option while flicking is just for painting.

isn't this exactly why it would NOT be a good place to learn how weapons work? if they act completely differently there

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

isn't this exactly why it would NOT be a good place to learn how weapons work? if they act completely differently there

You use the grizz testing range to learn the weapons for salmon run. You can learn how they're different without needing to be on the job.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Do any weapons actually have drastically different stats in Salmon Run? I remember dynamo really wanted to roll instead of flinging ink in Salmon run back in 2, but that was just because of the way the enemies were different in Salmon run vs PvP, not because the weapon had different stats. I missed a lot of the later updates though so I don't know if they started tweaking stuff drastically later on.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I have learned that I like the bow a lot for tower control now that my beloved Splatling Remix is gone. It’s like being able to drop a bomb on the tower that sticks every time, with just enough “oh poo poo” in the short range for if someone closes on you, plus general inking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The GrizzCo testing range uses the Salmon Run weapon’s stats to play around with, not The PVP stats. It also shows how much HP the various enemies in SR have.

Snake Maze posted:

Do any weapons actually have drastically different stats in Salmon Run? I remember dynamo really wanted to roll instead of flinging ink in Salmon run back in 2, but that was just because of the way the enemies were different in Salmon run vs PvP, not because the weapon had different stats. I missed a lot of the later updates though so I don't know if they started tweaking stuff drastically later on.

Weapons have different damage and ink consumption stats there. It’s been that way since the get-go in 2.

For example, the 1 shot blasters (Luna, Blaster, and Range) deal 125 damage on a direct hit in PVP. In Salmon Run it’s 200 for Luna and Blaster, but 250 for Range. Incidentally SR Range Blaster got buffed in 3. It’s way nicer to use now. (Used to be 200 damage in 2.)

E-liter deals 180 damage on a full charge in PVP, but it deals 600 damage on a full charge in Salmon Run, making it a fantastic boss killer.