Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This one is a 2000 model year, but this was THE poo poo YOU WANTED if you were a teenager getting your license in 1999 in the US.

Peak boy-racer

I got a ‘99 in 2006. It was stolen from the parking lot of the math and physics building of my university in ‘09, and the completely stripped frame was found a few months later, the engine found in another Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I got a ‘99 in 2006. It was stolen from the parking lot of the math and physics building of my university in ‘09, and the completely stripped frame was found a few months later, the engine found in another Civic.

I commute to a “city” a couple of days a week, and I have no intentions of taking this one anywhere remotely urban or populated. It’s a local-use only car as far as daily duties go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Are there any other cars that get remotely the same heat?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are there any other cars that get remotely the same heat?

Integras, especially the Type R

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I bought this 1999 Honda Accord Type R this spring after wanting one since.... 1999.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/COdoHpU_a8U

trust me, this belongs in here (sound on)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

evobatman posted:

I bought this 1999 Honda Accord Type R this spring after wanting one since.... 1999.

This is excellent! We never got those in the states.

I’d wanted an EM1 since 1999 when I test drove one, and also an S2000 since 1999 when I saw one at the NY Auto Show.

Here’s my current Honda fleet.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Sep 11, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Can someone explain to the car dumb what the deal is?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Len posted:

Can someone explain to the car dumb what the deal is?

90s Hondas were basically designed and constructed like race cars, had really good reliability and build quality and were fast and fun to drive. Later Hondas became heavier and softer, and were made with cheaper and simpler construction. Plus a good bunch of nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses for the cars we lusted after when we were young.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

This is excellent! We never got those in the states.

I’d wanted an EM1 since 1999 when I test drove one, and also an S2000 since 1999 when I saw one at the NY Auto Show.

Here’s my current Honda fleet.

60% 90’s

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also as an adult I regret participating in the trashing (over 15 years of heavy use) of my family’s 1997 eucalyptus green Gen 1 Odyssey

by the time I really understood what we had it was already too late :negative:

the story behind this gorgeous van is super interesting and involves the early 90s Japanese downturn, a bunch of import tariffs, and a resulting attempt to take heavy inspiration from private jets and trick dumb Americans into buying what is essentially a Japanese-style MPV made out of as much of the international Honda parts/production bin as possible

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Honda Civics were everywhere and I regret not getting the hatchback. Instead I got a ‘94 Nissan Altima LX as my first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Honda Civics were everywhere and I regret not getting the hatchback. Instead I got a ‘94 Nissan Altima LX as my first.

lol Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan

Nissan/Infiniti guys are basically Dodge/Jeep guys, just replace a blacked out Challenger with a clapped out G/Q-series

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan

Nissan/Infiniti guys are basically Dodge/Jeep guys, just replace a blacked out Challenger with a clapped out G/Q-series

This is what my drunk boomer car mechanic uncle told me, when I got my first car—1990 Nissan Sentra hatchback—in 2001. I guess it’s pretty true.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

whats the european version of that? volvo guys?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Land Rover Chavs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im from a volvo family and i was always told theyre cars for jerks but i never understood why. i want to get a 240 polar estate again, my favorite childhood car

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
in the mid 00's I had a Dodge Neon. Terrible car, but it was fun to drive, and I miss it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Shockingly, I also own a Volvo…

2007 S60R so it’s not totally thread-appropriate, but I guess it fits with the current derail.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

in the mid 00's I had a Dodge Neon. Terrible car, but it was fun to drive, and I miss it.

Same, I had a ‘95 in 2002. It really was fun to drive but I didn’t actually get to drive it that much because there was always some goddamn thing wrong with it. It didn’t even have 100K miles when the head gasket puked all over the place so I gave up on it and bought a ‘96 Civic hatchback instead.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

This one is a 2000 model year, but this was THE poo poo YOU WANTED if you were a teenager getting your license in 1999 in the US.

Peak boy-racer

I had a 2000 I bought new and kept for eight years. The blue looked especially cool at dusk. Miss that car.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I had a '91 Chevy Cavalier Z24 from 1998-2004.

I painted the air ducts and center console Candy Apple Red, had two 12" subs in the back and a 2000W subwoofer amp, and could remove the faceplate of my CD player so it wouldn't get stolen.

Drove like a drugged wildebeest and leaked like a sieve but I loved that car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

im from a volvo family and i was always told theyre cars for jerks but i never understood why. i want to get a 240 polar estate again, my favorite childhood car

I think it’s because Volvos have a reputation for being indestructible bricks that can be slammed into other vehicles with impunity, keeping bad drivers alive and unharmed to drive badly another day, and without learning any lessons

And depending on where you grew up (northern Europe?) they were commonly hand-me-down/used cars, which means that a lot of teens and young people and people in more precarious situations are associated with driving them

Kind of like the PT Cruiser in the US, a car which very few people under age 70 (or without late stage type 2 diabetes) bought new, and subsequently nobody really wanted when they started flooding used car lots/being bequeathed to family members in the mid-2000s.

The Cruiser quickly picked up an unspoken reputation as a car of last resort, a car that you got because either you couldn’t afford anything else and/or because you got it for free when Gramma died.

To paraphrase RCR it became the official car of “cousin Kevin’s been through a lot, what with rehab and the divorce, and aunt Judy told us that he’s not getting the shifts he wants down at Popeye’s, so he’s applying to the new Apple Store they’re opening up in ~~~~~ and Judy’s pretty sure he’s gonna get it. And in the mean time he says he wants to drive Uber Eats to make some more money. He’s worked really hard to stay clean through the holidays, which you know are always a bad time for him, and he needs the commuter. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that we’re surprising him with uncle Mike’s old car on Friday—you know, now that he’s fully blind and he lost the other foot he’s definitely not leaving the home—anyway we wanted you to be there!”

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Antioch posted:

I had a '91 Chevy Cavalier Z24 from 1998-2004.

I painted the air ducts and center console Candy Apple Red, had two 12" subs in the back and a 2000W subwoofer amp, and could remove the faceplate of my CD player so it wouldn't get stolen.

Drove like a drugged wildebeest and leaked like a sieve but I loved that car.

I had a flat grey 90 non-Z Cavalier with blacked out tint from 01-03. I also painted the console (silver) but only had 1 12” Kicker sub and a Sony Xplode 400w amp. That thing was a great car, I put on a ton miles delivering pizzas and it ran like a champ. No leaks, decent gas mileage, and didn’t break down once even as it neared 200k miles. Sadly I got rear ended one afternoon and pushed into the rear of the car in front of me and the insurance co. totaled it out.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think it’s because Volvos have a reputation for being indestructible bricks that can be slammed into other vehicles with impunity, keeping bad drivers alive and unharmed to drive badly another day, and without learning any lessons

And depending on where you grew up (northern Europe?) they were commonly hand-me-down/used cars, which means that a lot of teens and young people and people in more precarious situations are associated with driving them

Kind of like the PT Cruiser in the US, a car which very few people under age 70 (or without late stage type 2 diabetes) bought new, and subsequently nobody really wanted when they started flooding used car lots/being bequeathed to family members in the mid-2000s.

The Cruiser quickly picked up an unspoken reputation as a car of last resort, a car that you got because either you couldn’t afford anything else and/or because you got it for free when Gramma died.

To paraphrase RCR it became the official car of “cousin Kevin’s been through a lot, what with rehab and the divorce, and aunt Judy told us that he’s not getting the shifts he wants down at Popeye’s, so he’s applying to the new Apple Store they’re opening up in ~~~~~ and Judy’s pretty sure he’s gonna get it. And in the mean time he says he wants to drive Uber Eats to make some more money. He’s worked really hard to stay clean through the holidays, which you know are always a bad time for him, and he needs the commuter. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that we’re surprising him with uncle Mike’s old car on Friday—you know, now that he’s fully blind and he lost the other foot he’s definitely not leaving the home—anyway we wanted you to be there!”

The PT Cruiser looked neat in the pre-production ad stuff. I was so let down when I saw one in person and it was just awful.

I rented one once.

ONCE.

Gutless, more blindspots that the Spirit of St. Louis., cramped.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

That’s how my wife felt about the PT Cruiser, she wanted one so bad, then her sister got one and actually experiencing it ruined it forever.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I got pulled over for doing 95 in a 65 in a PT Cruiser, back when I was young and dumb (almost 20 years ago). Pretty sure I hit 100.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
PT Cruisers were more 00's, but it seems like everyone I knew who did own a PT Cruiser loved them for some reason. Then again it might have been buyer's remorse that made them love the car.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I also once rented a Chevy HHR, and it felt like an enclosed Fred Flintstonemobile.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Iron Crowned posted:

PT Cruisers were more 00's, but it seems like everyone I knew who did own a PT Cruiser loved them for some reason. Then again it might have been buyer's remorse that made them love the car.

They had to be especially vocal about it because they didn't want people to know just how much they hated themselves for wasting their money.

Back when they still made them my uncle came for a visit from Tennessee and I think him and my aunt flew, or took a train or some poo poo and so they had a rental PT Crapper and my mom who knew absolutely zero about cars first thing when she saw it she started making fun of it, and my uncle for renting "that ugly piece of poo poo".

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Iron Crowned posted:

I live a county over from the plant where they were built and for a time they were everywhere around here but it's a rarity to see one these days. I had two different girlfriends in the 90s who had dads that worked at the plant. Both drove Neons. One had the Sport Coupe model with the DOHC engine and it was reasonably quick and fun to drive but I'm glad I didn't let her dad talk me into buying one (I went with a 1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R instead).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The PT cruiser was definitely a car where if you were into it, you were very into it and made it a personality. Like people who own VW Bugs.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm not a PT Cruiser fan but I lucked into a cheap low mileage used one after college and it ran like a champ for a long time. Some routine maintenance stuff was a pain in the butt compared to other cars I've owned though. You had to go in over the tire behind the wheel well to change out headlight bulbs, and the battery was located under the air filter, so it was awkward to give / get jumps.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My stepmom absolutely loves her PT Cruiser. She got it when they were first released, purple and manual transmission. It wasn't my least favorite car in the world to drive but holy crap that stick shift suuuuucked! Eventually the tranny gave out altogether and it needed a bunch of other maintenance so my parents sold it and got a CX5. A couple years pass and she hates driving the Mazda, so my dad decides to seek out the same PT Cruiser for her for their anniversary. The guy they sold it to had done some maintenance but it still needed a bunch of work and his wife had passed away so he agreed to sell it back. My dad surprised her with it and she's been loving driving it again the last 6 or 7 years. My dad ended up selling his Evo to make some of this happen and now drives the CX5 instead.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Jesus loving Christ, they made manual transmission PT Cruisers? I can't imagine a car I'd like to drive less. My wife owned one that we drove into the ground when we were young and broke and it was awful. Clunky, awkward, underpowered and ugly as poo poo. Just a terrible vehicle. When I die and go to hell, I think my punishment will be driving a PT Cruiser through America's most poorly-planned freeway interchanges forever.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not sure what year it was but my least favorite car to drive was my mom's Pontiac 6000. Just a big ol turd and I was all about driving manuals at that time so having a column shifter automatic was just a huge downer to teenage me. Oh the 'ol Econoline was terrible too but in more of a fun, "oh holy gently caress there's 30 degrees of slop in the wheel!" kind of way. Good times.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
PT Loser

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

prayer group posted:

Jesus loving Christ, they made manual transmission PT Cruisers?

It was basically a jank-rear end Neon hatchback, right? So why not? Can’t imagine they sold well with the manual, but it doesn’t surprise me that they existed.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

It's kind of funny how many 80s rock stars looked at what Nirvana was doing and had no idea how respond to it. Except Bon Jovi, apparently.

Listening to hair metal guys talk about Nevermind/Grunge is like hearing people talk about the ‘29 stock market crash. Everything was going good then the bottom fell out, fashions changed, the aqua net set got left behind.

Lot of old hair metal guys pushing 60 go on and on about their home studios and it’s sad and hilarious. They came up in the era of the record company burning through tens of thousands of dollars like it was going to last forever. The fact that they too can have their own Neve preamps and Neumann U47s is a marvel to them.
Ok, grandpa, teenagers with a laptop are doing the same thing but go ahead and wax on about your personal Abbey Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Automatic Slim posted:

Ok, grandpa, teenagers with a laptop are doing the same thing but go ahead and wax on about your personal Abbey Road.
Digital production and modern mixing has sanitized a lot of the blemishes that got in to older music.

Dave Grohl had a thing during one of the Nevermind anniversary years (15? 10?) that talks about the imperfections he catches when listening to that stuff and how you just edit it out or retune it now.