Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Did I do it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Somewhat annoyed i have to use a multi step process to get an actual transparency vs a white background:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
That being said, the white background is like an instant, no-effort light box when you need one:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I just turned on vibrations for the keyboard and got a small vibration as a text notification popped up, neat, pretty sure that came with the keyboard thing. Not the big vibration of regular notifications.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Rageaholic posted:

I was helping my mom set up her new lock screen on her 12 earlier. She's got hearing aids connected to her iPhone, and the battery widget for the lock screen seems to only display her hearing aid battery percentage, not her iPhone battery percentage like she wanted. I did turn on battery percentage for her, so it shows in the status bar, just not on the lock screen.

I was doing some Googling and I read that if you have a device connected that the lock screen battery widget will always display that device's battery and not the phone's battery, meaning as long as she has her hearing aids connected, it won't show her phone's battery on the lock screen. Is that correct?

On the Lock Screen, the battery widgets have a menu you can open if you tap the widget after placing it down on the screen. You can choose it to display "Automatic" which I guess just lets iOS decide which battery meter is most relevant, or you can select it to always show a certain device (the phone itself, or any currently connected Bluetooth devices). So you should be able to override it showing the hearing aids' batteries.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Battery percentage option doesn’t seem to show up on iOS 16 on my iPhone 12 mini

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jose Oquendo posted:

That was the new MacOS.

But it's 'macOS' now

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are third party lock screen widgets meant to be a thing yet or is that coming in a future update? I'd be surprised if literally not a single one of my apps had a lock screen widget ready for launch.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there no option to put a single widget all the way on the left or the right? Seems like if I only want one widget (weather), it forces it to be in the center.
My lockscreen only has a two-block widget on it and it's forced to the left hand side, I can't move it to the centre or the right!

Mister Facetious posted:

Somewhat annoyed i have to use a multi step process to get an actual transparency vs a white background:
What's the process for actual transparency?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are third party lock screen widgets meant to be a thing yet or is that coming in a future update? I'd be surprised if literally not a single one of my apps had a lock screen widget ready for launch.

Yeah, a bunch updated yesterday. Have you tried manually updating your apps to see if there's any waiting?

I'm using WaterMinder with a nice-looking percentage and an Overcast one to play my Queue playlist

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Vegetable posted:

New lock screen is pretty cool but only after you change the default clock font, which sucks. They really need way more widgets than this for it to be useful though.

Pretty sure they made the default font suck to force people to go figure out how to change it to not suck, and in the process discover all the other customisations they added to the Lock Screen

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Huh, and now after iOS 16 my iPhone isn't syncing Reminders with iCloud any more (Notes etc. are still fine). I made a test reminder on each of my iPhone, iPad and iCloud.com - the iPad and iCloud synced up right away, the iPhone hasn't received the other reminders and it hasn't appeared on the other devices yet either. First updated to iOS 16 last night about 15 or so hours ago. :(

101 posted:

Yeah, a bunch updated yesterday. Have you tried manually updating your apps to see if there's any waiting?

I'm using WaterMinder with a nice-looking percentage and an Overcast one to play my Queue playlist
Yup, updated everything this morning. I use Overcast all the time but don't see any option to add a lock screen widget on the lock screen customiser view - just the stock Batteries, Calendar, Clock, Fitness, Home, News, Reminders and Weather.
edit: Huh, so it turns out if you updated the app before the iOS 16 update, it's broken. But offloading the app and reinstalling it lets you add the widgets. Way to go, Apple!

Incidentally, it annoys me that the Batteries widget will only show Airpods/case batteries if they've been used recently and won't ping them every so often to see if they've drained while sitting around - just greys them out altogether. Kinda makes that a bit useless.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 13, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

Incidentally, it annoys me that the Batteries widget will only show Airpods/case batteries if they've been used recently and won't ping them every so often to see if they've drained while sitting around - just greys them out altogether. Kinda makes that a bit useless.

Yeah, I think having the big batteries widget on the swipe left view is still the way to go

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

101 posted:

Yeah, I think having the big batteries widget on the swipe left view is still the way to go
Same, although don't those also not update unless the Airpods/case are active? I'd really like an occasional check of when my case is running low, even like just a quick background ping to the case once or twice a day to see how it's doing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I actually wish there was a padlock widget, since one of my authenticators forces you to biometric before accepting a prompt.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

The big battery widget will only show cached values for airpods/pencil if those are off/idle, not live ones

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

101 posted:

But it's 'macOS' now

That's funny. I typed that one out on my phone and it didn't autocorrect it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I hate this prompt. It’s been around since ios15. I have nothing in that scene except lights and thermostats, and I never get a query for running a scene when I leave. The whole point of an automation is running automatically so why do o need to confirm it?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ManSedan posted:

I hate this prompt. It’s been around since ios15. I have nothing in that scene except lights and thermostats, and I never get a query for running a scene when I leave. The whole point of an automation is running automatically so why do o need to confirm it?

Weird, my home automations have never asked for that. Do you have a homekit hub or are you directly controlling the home using the iphone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Steve Yun posted:

Battery percentage option doesn’t seem to show up on iOS 16 on my iPhone 12 mini

Apparently it's not an option on the iPhone 12/13 mini, the iPhone 11, or the iPhone XR. "Why?" you ask. Because, Apple.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

SlowBloke posted:

Weird, my home automations have never asked for that. Do you have a homekit hub or are you directly controlling the home using the iphone?

I’ve got a HomePod Mini acting as the hub. I thought for a while it was because of my door lock being included in the scene and requiring biometrics to unlock, but the prompt still shows after removing it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This jitter when switching between music/podcast art and the main view when on the Lock Screen doesn’t seem intentional.

https://streamable.com/xlfi2t

At the very least, I appreciate the new Lock Screen timer being more visible.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ManSedan posted:

I’ve got a HomePod Mini acting as the hub. I thought for a while it was because of my door lock being included in the scene and requiring biometrics to unlock, but the prompt still shows after removing it.

That prompt is typically reserved for automations that involve automatically unlocking a door - Apple is really weird about enabled them without user interaction. I'd try deleting and re-creating the automation to see if it stops coming up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/92CR5sd.jpg

What is the circled sun icon? Is it some sort of a sunshine meter? I might be dumb as hell but I wish there were more docs or legends for what these things mean. I’m not a big widget guy but I’m learning.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Inner Light posted:

https://i.imgur.com/92CR5sd.jpg

What is the circled sun icon? Is it some sort of a sunshine meter? I might be dumb as hell but I wish there were more docs or legends for what these things mean. I’m not a big widget guy but I’m learning.

Probably UV index

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yup, UV index.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The weather lock screen is cool but it's a shame, and this is a nitpick, that the animation is a bit off. It's short, which is fine, but it starts somewhat janky and ends abruptly before the screen fades back off. Would be nice if it were more consistent but otherwise it's really cool and handy.

Of course now it's just been grey and cloudy since yesterday so it's not terribly exciting to look at. :haw:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Durr, thanks guys. I had it set up using the default weather widget set so I didn't catch that individual explanation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I got lightning and rain with thunderbolts zapping the display last night.

Definitely still needs some work because it sometimes locks up trying to get the location, all you see is the last city / town and "- -"

The flip side of this is that the Dark Sky app is proclaiming to the high heavens that support for it will be dropped as of 1/1/23.. too bad but the best parts of it have already been integrated into Apple Weather..

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I really hate that video controls now overlay the video itself instead of being at the bottom of the screen. Why would it be a good idea to block the video like that? smh

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Binary Badger posted:

The flip side of this is that the Dark Sky app is proclaiming to the high heavens that support for it will be dropped as of 1/1/23.. too bad but the best parts of it have already been integrated into Apple Weather..

The only thing I ever use Dark Sky for is to look at the map window with the arrows indicating storm direction. It’s perfect and the Apple Weather implementation of the idea is abysmal by comparison.

It sucks that they’re killing it without reaching feature parity.

edit: I forgot since it’s been a while since last winter, but the configurable notifications are also a godsend from Dark Sky; setting a >4” overnight snowfall notification was really helpful for setting my alarm earlier.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 13, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

vote_no posted:

The only thing I ever use Dark Sky for is to look at the map window with the arrows indicating storm direction. It’s perfect and the Apple Weather implementation of the idea is abysmal by comparison.

It sucks that they’re killing it without reaching feature parity.

What I do is use Weather Channel app’s radar function (my fav weather radar app), play the last few hours and predict the storm direction based on that. It’s a dumb workaround but it’s there in case you need it. It also has future cast radar models.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The death of dark sky will also finally kill off the Clear Outside app, which is an ancient app (it still doesn't scale for modern tall phones) but for quickly estimating clear skies for astronomy it's one of the best out there. It's build on top of the dark sky api so it's gonna be sad to see it go.

Hopefully people can do cool stuff with WeatherKit that Apple is providing in place of it, but I don't really keep my finger on the pulse of this stuff. Not sure if their API is reasonably priced or not.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp it's official

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201102

No status bar battery % display on XR, any 11, iPhones 12 mini and 13 mini.

But supported on iPhone 8 and earlier?

:sigh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
:argh: Steve Jobs would’ve never allowed this

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Steve Yun posted:

:argh: Steve Jobs would’ve never allowed this

You're right, he would not want you to have any phone have the battery percentage on it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The next iPhone should have two pixie tubes embedded in the bottom plate that constantly display battery percentage while consuming 35% of the battery capacity

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh no guys - my phone is at 14%!!!!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vintersorg posted:

Oh no guys - my phone is at 14%!!!!!

Would this cease to be a problem if it were 17%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want an app that edits every screenshot to show the battery at 7%.