Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

You're really making me miss old LA.

I wish they made a Mistlock Sanctuary style teleport pass to old Lion's Arch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

So I’ve kind of wanted to get back into this.

I played a lot when it first came out. Lost interest after about a year. Skipped Heart of Thorns.
Came back to the game for Path of Fire launch and took a week off to play it and rushed and got the griffon in like 2 days of poop socking.
And quickly burned myself on it again. I lasted maybe a month.
So that was … drat.. almost 5 years ago now?

Anyway. I loaded up the game just to figure out what the gently caress I’ve got.
I’m sitting on like 8 level 80s with gear all over the place and a poo poo load of items and crafting materials in my inventory I don’t even remember what they are for.
And I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all.

I have a ton of level character to 80 tomes I could use and "start fresh" but I really don’t want to have to unlock all these waypoints again.
Really wish there was a class change gem store item I could use. I have a character that has 100% map completion in vanilla and pof zones but I really don’t want to play that class anymore.

Rough guide as a suggestion:
  1. get an API key from the ArenaNet page using this guide: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/API:API_key
  2. use the API key on this page to help you clean up your inventory: http://gw.zweistein.cz/gw2stacks/
  3. find a more recent video on professions and elite specs (from the last 12 months) on YouTube and watch it
  4. pick the existing character with the profession and elite specs that appeal to you the most (the class balance is okay part from a few positive outliers like Mechanists and Firebrand and negative ones like Chronomancer and Spellbreaker)
  5. look up builds for the elite spec you want to start out with of MetaBattle.com (try to stick to ones classified Meta or Great) or Hardstuck.gg (if you don't have a specific form of content in mind, pick an open world or fractals build)
  6. rebuild that character with those trait lines, skill and gear. If you have questions regarding missing gear and how to get it, feel free to ask in here
  7. take that character for a spin and go from there

Luggage fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 12, 2022

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

trunkh posted:

Dumb question, but how many dailies are there for what content?

If I can only get 1 done a day I rather the one with the best gold return

The End of Dragons dailies are worth taking a look at; for the 'Wandering Cantha' achievement you gotta do them fifteen times (not in a row) and the achievement rewards you with the choice between some very nice skins. The EoD dailies are usually things like 'catch four fish in <location>', 'kill x of y in <location>', 'do a heart', 'do events', that sort of thing. Not hard at all.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

xgalaxy posted:

So I’ve kind of wanted to get back into this.

I played a lot when it first came out. Lost interest after about a year. Skipped Heart of Thorns.
Came back to the game for Path of Fire launch and took a week off to play it and rushed and got the griffon in like 2 days of poop socking.
And quickly burned myself on it again. I lasted maybe a month.
So that was … drat.. almost 5 years ago now?

Anyway. I loaded up the game just to figure out what the gently caress I’ve got.
I’m sitting on like 8 level 80s with gear all over the place and a poo poo load of items and crafting materials in my inventory I don’t even remember what they are for.
And I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all.

I have a ton of level character to 80 tomes I could use and "start fresh" but I really don’t want to have to unlock all these waypoints again.
Really wish there was a class change gem store item I could use. I have a character that has 100% map completion in vanilla and pof zones but I really don’t want to play that class anymore.

just play engineer -> mechanist

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

cyclical posted:

The End of Dragons dailies are worth taking a look at; for the 'Wandering Cantha' achievement you gotta do them fifteen times (not in a row) and the achievement rewards you with the choice between some very nice skins. The EoD dailies are usually things like 'catch four fish in <location>', 'kill x of y in <location>', 'do a heart', 'do events', that sort of thing. Not hard at all.

Oh no way, I didn't see this before now I gotta go get that lamplighters torch it's adorable!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Would anyone be willing to link up with me and sell me a unique companion on GW1? Seems like an easy HoM pip, and I have like 20 platinum (though I don't know how much money things are worth)

e: Oh I could do the black moa chick questline-- should be p easy. I am looking for a destroyer, a tormented, and 2 weapons that would count to the statues, though!

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 12, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I finished Chalice of Tears last night, something I was worried about doing for the Return achievements I'm finishing up. I tried doing it all myself* but ended up using 2 mesmer ports. One to recover from a short drop in a moment of frustration, and one up the final spire because I had company coming over and didn't want to restart from scratch next time. I had a bit more time than I thought so I dropped back down to where I took the port and made it to the very last jump before forgetting to set my rewinder and accidentally flinging myself off the mountain somehow. My love for jump puzzles is only exceeded by how randomly terrible at them I am. It's common that I get stuck for ages on a part I'd smoothly negotiated the previous few times, or my character decides to leap to certain death rather than hopping up a simple ledge.

I was surprised at how many people there were. That zone was the daily a couple of days ago but there were still at least two dozen people crawling and dying around the inside of that volcano, and I saw 2 people advertising help in chat. I turned away a few offers to port me through to the end, and saw lots of people assisting in various ways. One mesmer was saying they run it daily for fun and to help people out.

I'm sure I missed some collectibles in there, had someone point me to one of them, so I'll be back in someday. Maybe they'll do a return to return to living world.

*doing it myself, but with a video guide and a position rewinder. I got "blind explorations of mmos" out of my system ages ago, too many invisible walls, and too much impassable terrain that looks passable and vice versa. This game gets credit for having checkpoints on some of them at least.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

bagrada posted:

I'm sure I missed some collectibles in there, had someone point me to one of them, so I'll be back in someday. Maybe they'll do a return to return to living world.

The Aurora collection requires running it 2-3 more times. One of the precursor items has some tiny coins inside the jp. 1 coin is far away so you need to leave the entire jp to get it. 1 coin is inside of a hole that, without a teleport, requires starting over. Lastly, the actual Aurora collection needs you to finish it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/profession-balance-update-preview-livestream-this-friday/ posted:

Please join us this Friday, September 16 at 12:00PM Pacific Time (UTC-8) on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel for a preview of the October 4 profession balance update!

We’ll have Skills and Balance Team Lead Cal “cmc” Cohen and Associate Game Designer Roy “Roy” Marks on stream to walk you through the details of the upcoming changes. Following the stream, we’ll be posting the full balance preview notes on our official forums. We’re looking forward to reading your feedback!

As we mentioned last week, the October 4 balance update will be primarily focused on improving combat balance in the WvW and PvP game modes. After October 4, our next major profession balance update will drop on November 29.

As a small teaser ahead of our stream on Friday, we have prepared a carefully cropped screenshot for you:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Druid stuff? Fun!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Looks like they're announcing the winners of their 10 days of twitter contest finally. I won the hat :toot:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Whoever is responsible for the mastery achievements in the back end of LS4 going from "fun, interesting ways to approach objectives" to "what is the most tedious, least fun way you could possibly play through each mission" should never be allowed near a game development job again. Just pure dogshit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
End of LS4 and then IBS is when loving around with side projects and pretending GW2 will never need another expansion again was starting to bite them in the rear end and cheevos became even grindier than usual.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

bagrada posted:

I finished Chalice of Tears last night, something I was worried about doing for the Return achievements I'm finishing up. I tried doing it all myself* but ended up using 2 mesmer ports. One to recover from a short drop in a moment of frustration, and one up the final spire because I had company coming over and didn't want to restart from scratch next time. I had a bit more time than I thought so I dropped back down to where I took the port and made it to the very last jump before forgetting to set my rewinder and accidentally flinging myself off the mountain somehow. My love for jump puzzles is only exceeded by how randomly terrible at them I am. It's common that I get stuck for ages on a part I'd smoothly negotiated the previous few times, or my character decides to leap to certain death rather than hopping up a simple ledge.

I was surprised at how many people there were. That zone was the daily a couple of days ago but there were still at least two dozen people crawling and dying around the inside of that volcano, and I saw 2 people advertising help in chat. I turned away a few offers to port me through to the end, and saw lots of people assisting in various ways. One mesmer was saying they run it daily for fun and to help people out.

*doing it myself, but with a video guide and a position rewinder. I got "blind explorations of mmos" out of my system ages ago, too many invisible walls, and too much impassable terrain that looks passable and vice versa. This game gets credit for having checkpoints on some of them at least.

If you can, use the prototype rewinder

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It was a lot more tolerable with the rewinder and TacO overlays which show you the right way. Could never have done it without them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

They mention using that multiple times in their post :confused:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Where is that item from?

The wiki surprisingly does not show.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's sold by a heart vendor in Sandswept Isles (75 difluorite crystals + 175000 karma).

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

TeaJay posted:

It was a lot more tolerable with the rewinder and TacO overlays which show you the right way. Could never have done it without them.

I have no idea how people finished it to begin with. I used a video walkthrough pausing step by step but could not figure out a single path on my own.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Kassad posted:

It's sold by a heart vendor in Sandswept Isles (75 difluorite crystals + 175000 karma).

That is bizarrely cheap and easy to aquire.

I have heard of the item before but i just figured it was a rare BL item or something involving a legendary level grind.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Yeah I'd just burned all mine on the skyscale since you need a chunk of each LW4 currency for it, but conveniently the return achievements hand you those. So I did a few rounds of events while harvesting any nodes I came across to get the rewinder. Didn't take long.

AmbientParadox posted:

The Aurora collection requires running it 2-3 more times. One of the precursor items has some tiny coins inside the jp. 1 coin is far away so you need to leave the entire jp to get it. 1 coin is inside of a hole that, without a teleport, requires starting over. Lastly, the actual Aurora collection needs you to finish it.

I figured there was something like that. I haven't looked into any legendaries yet, besides the return to living world one I may get soon. That's my current project. 3 LW3 zones to go, then solely the storyline in LW4 and I'm done. I'm going to switch back to my guardian for LW4 since I've already done them on my revenant. Then I plan to do the recent LW1 releases and get back to world completion on my guardian (still 96% done. During vanilla I had the charr zones to go plus some in WvW. I'm not sure if the expansion and living world zones count now? Plus there are multiple wvw battlegrounds?)

This game certainly does not lack for things to do, and I love that you can mostly do it in whatever order you want with any character for the most part. No chance I'd still be playing if masteries were per character.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Did wvw with a guild I'm in and actually bothered to use discord....
Holy poo poo that's intense and fun!!!
Switched to all minstrel and actually surviving while buffing as a Scrapper. I am loving it!!! Still considering switching a different server for more focused wvw, waiting to see how often we are at the +6 pips instead of +7 or +8. That adds up lol

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I may have been too harsh on sPVP. It is wildly imbalanced, but Staff Reaper has been just stupid amounts of fun down in the small animal leagues of unranked.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

sPvP is honestly pretty fun *if* you can avoid getting tilted by how incomprehensibly dumb most of your teammates will be. People that haven't learned the basic map mechanics after 10 years, people going AFK the second your team is down by 5 points, people changing their spec before a match and then forgetting to equip weapons that they can actually use...

The actual meat of the game mode is pretty fun and it's a shame they just abandoned it completely after the embarrassing e-sports thing.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

the embarrassing e-sports thing.

Elaborate!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

sPvP is honestly pretty fun *if* you can avoid getting tilted by how incomprehensibly dumb most of your teammates will be. People that haven't learned the basic map mechanics after 10 years, people going AFK the second your team is down by 5 points, people changing their spec before a match and then forgetting to equip weapons that they can actually use...

The actual meat of the game mode is pretty fun and it's a shame they just abandoned it completely after the embarrassing e-sports thing.

ime it's not hard to have fun in spvp playing mirage because it's really hard for players that aren't coordinated to pin you down and prevent you from carrying a bad team on your back

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Everyday we stray further from God's light.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ineptitude posted:

Elaborate!

At launch, Anet went hard on the idea that spvp was going to be a new, popular esport. They put a lot on the idea that people were going to stream it, there would be tournaments and it would be popular outside people that like/play the pve element.

This did not happen at all, and anet dropped the mode out of embarrassment for a few years

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ineptitude posted:

Elaborate!

They made a really big deal out of how PvP was going to take the e-sports world by storm and have like tournament prize support and constant updates and a big streaming audience but then it turns out that making poorly balanced PvP that is incredibly hard for spectators to follow even if you didn't also have so many particle effects going on that it's impossible to see anything that is happening in a teamfight does not actually make for a very good e-sport. As soon as they realized it was not going to be a new cash cow they completely abandoned it and have been alluding to "upcoming" changes for several years. There hasn't been a new map added in 4 years and that one (yes, one) is arguably the worst conquest map in the game. Before that I think the last new map was added in 2013?

The truly pathetic thing is even in this sorry state GW2 still has by far the best PvP of any modern MMO.

I really miss GW1.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Warhammer online was a janky mess that hated player quality of life as much as GW2 loves it, but the PvP was sublime.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Could be the melancholy talking, but OG GW PVP was pretty 🔥 as well. Other than WvWvW, GW2 PVP felt like a step down.

Vvv
Also true, but I like to occasionally fantasize about what GvG, AB, or HOH modes could have been. Probably abandoned, like dungeons.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 13, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GW2 SPvP is good, dumb, fun. When people (including yourself) care about it and start thinking about it, it's ruined.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I don't like pvp but it can be fun if you're just goofing off.

Tab-targeting in a competitive game feels godawful to me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

hey, there were tournaments! people did stream it! None of it worked out, and it almost definitely lost them money, but who cares about all that, right? I'll out myself as being someone who followed it and actually enjoyed it, I kind of miss it. I'm skeptical that it would ever have been really big, GW2 just wasn't a big enough name, but Anet just barely tried. There was so little content support, and they were constantly alienating the fans they did have with god awful balance patches and technical issues.

It's still my favourite game mode. My controversial recommendation is that people should care slightly more. Get into ranked, it won't take long to surpass the rating of all the people who straight up do not understand basic gameplay mechanics (albeit you're exchanging them for people who don't understand how not to swear at you in chat, but you can just laugh at them). Learning and mastering a build in sPvP is still the most rewarding experience in the game imo, and when it really clicks you can just clown on people.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I don't like pvp but it can be fun if you're just goofing off.

Tab-targeting in a competitive game feels godawful to me.

Good news: action cam is a thing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only time I had fun with sPvP was with Lazy's sPvP Sunday (was it Saturday? it was so long ago!). But I generally don't like (MMO) PvP so that was a huge achievement.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GW2's PvP beta was extremely fun because nobody had done any meta-analysis or whatever to determine optimal builds, engineer's turrets were good, and everyone was bad.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some random thoughts after playing for a couple of weeks (previous time played was shortly after HoT release):

Love all of the new elite specializations, though it is a little conspicuous just how many mechanists there are around. I'm already looking forward to gearing up a deadeye spec and a mirage mesmer.

I recently started running the spectre build from the long effort post on page 2 of this thread and it's been really great. I can tell because even though I am still bad at it I can still solo champs that I couldn't dream of handling as a 'core' thief and my gear is still pretty suboptimal (one ascended birthday talisman, the celestial exotics that the 80 boost comes with, and whatever exotic scepter weapon you get when you first fully train the spec). I also want to make a deadeye WvW roaming build but gearing up is going to be challenging. Do people consistently run dungeons? I need the currency for runes and sigils. I heoped to do this with a dungeon mastery track in WvW but I've nearly completed a track and I really haven't gotten much currency (maybe 180?).

I have not started PoF or EoD or any of the living seasons yet but returning to the Verdant Brink and Auric Basin and I just love those zones. Great music, great theme, and super fun and engaging to explore with lots of rewarding events.

The currency bloat DEAD GOD the currency bloat. It is really hard to keep a handle on the dozen different things I collect in each zone.

Gearing is pretty complicated but I guess this is sort of the end game so I'm ok with it.

The personal story was better than I remember it. I haven't been able to complete the final mission due to a bug disconnecting me which is annoying but I've since moved on and finished living world season 1 episode 1 and wow, what a jump in difficulty and mission length. The Molten Furnace mission just seemed to go on and on forever which was frustrating because I had some other stuff I needed to do. I wonder if this is the norm going forward or an outlier?

Also Goons are pretty great and thanks for hooking me up with Teq and naked magic man quests for most of the week. I wouldn't have known about them without the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The currency bloat DEAD GOD the currency bloat. It is really hard to keep a handle on the dozen different things I collect in each zone.

Be thankful to whichever dead god you pray to that there is a currency wallet now and you don't have to physically carry around your currencies and keys around taking up slots per-character and needing to be brought to the relevant merchant with stacks in inventory and not just in your bank.