Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Given the lack of any mutant-related announcements through, as far as we can tell, Phase Six, and also that we've heard the word "incursion" and the last movie in P6 is Secret Wars, I am guessing that the answer to how mutants are introduced to the MCU is that when the world gets rebuilt after the multiverse collapses, they'll have always been there.

yeah it's really easy to imagine the mid-credits scene where Charles Xavier appears or they cut to Wolverine in a bar or some poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean they made Kamala a mutant and there's the wolverine tease in she hulk so they are already there

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kamala is a mutant and Sabra got announced, so to me that just supports my theory that we're gonna get mutants introduced gradually as a concept independent of the X-Men. We're gonna see the actual rise of mutations and someone notice that a lot of people are suddenly being born with super powers instead of getting them from super soldier serums, tech, or because they're aliens. And then there will be researchers and a response and you have Xavier. Maybe he's fresh to the subject, maybe he's been quietly running his school for some time. But I think we'll see the birth of the X-Men as a response to the mutant "crisis/rising".

But I don't really see the benefit to just importing X-Men or mutants wholesale via multiverse shenanigans. Maybe it will happen but I dunno. We've gotten our teases now of a more organic build and the MCU likes to build stuff up and do origins. And there's no real long term future for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart and the fact that they've already done Stewart as a multiverse cameo suggests to me that they're unofficially saying that's another universe and not ours. I expect them to do their own mutants and X-Men. They're just not gonna rush it. They're playing for the long game.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So when are we getting all those 70s comics movies on Disney+?

you (and by "you" I'm referring to the average casual) just see three white (two of which are blond) people together and their Rock Dad(?), and instantly think "This is some Leave-It-To-Beaver-Gee-Wilickers-1950s poo poo..", despite every single attempt in the last twenty years to modernize these characters, culminating Johnny Storm straight up being redesigned to look like Eminem in the Ultimate Universe

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

STAC Goat posted:

Kamala is a mutant and Sabra got announced, so to me that just supports my theory that we're gonna get mutants introduced gradually as a concept independent of the X-Men. We're gonna see the actual rise of mutations and someone notice that a lot of people are suddenly being born with super powers instead of getting them from super soldier serums, tech, or because they're aliens. And then there will be researchers and a response and you have Xavier. Maybe he's fresh to the subject, maybe he's been quietly running his school for some time. But I think we'll see the birth of the X-Men as a response to the mutant "crisis/rising".

But I don't really see the benefit to just importing X-Men or mutants wholesale via multiverse shenanigans. Maybe it will happen but I dunno. We've gotten our teases now of a more organic build and the MCU likes to build stuff up and do origins. And there's no real long term future for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart and the fact that they've already done Stewart as a multiverse cameo suggests to me that they're unofficially saying that's another universe and not ours. I expect them to do their own mutants and X-Men. They're just not gonna rush it. They're playing for the long game.

They have already confirmed that they are recasting all of the X-Men and doing their own thing. Pablo Schreiber was in talks to play Wolverine and Giancarlo Esposito has had casting meetings with Marvel (and there have been long-running rumors that the casting is for Professor X). Feige also went out of his way to mention that Reed Richards and Professor X cameos in Multiverse of Madness were for that universe only and not cast for the "main" universe characters.

You also won't see any X-Men characters on screen until 2026 because Fox producers and the original Fox X-Men cast are all still on contract through 2025. Feige/Marvel aren't going to want Simon Kinsburg or Bryan Singer to have financial and creative stakes in the new X-Men franchise just to get it out a year early.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You want a fantastic four that works, replace Dr dooms armor with cooler spikier armor like shredder

Replace the unlikable Mr fantastic with a really smart but likeable guy with long reach, likely from a bo staff
Replace Johnny blaze with a angry guy whose cool but crude
Replace invisible woman with a man wilding a katana who is their leader and also a turtle

this but unironically

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

But that person didn't mention Runaways at all?

Just kidding we all know it's Cloak and Dagger. For real.

:hmmyes:

That was some of the best casting they ever did.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They have already confirmed that they are recasting all of the X-Men and doing their own thing. Pablo Schreiber was in talks to play Wolverine and Giancarlo Esposito has had casting meetings with Marvel (and there have been long-running rumors that the casting is for Professor X). Feige also went out of his way to mention that Reed Richards and Professor X cameos in Multiverse of Madness were for that universe only and not cast for the "main" universe characters.

You also won't see any X-Men characters on screen until 2026 because Fox producers and the original Fox X-Men cast are all still on contract through 2025. Feige/Marvel aren't going to want Simon Kinsburg or Bryan Singer to have financial and creative stakes in the new X-Men franchise just to get it out a year early.

is that a real thing or just a thing chris claremont ranted about during a panel like how they're going to make captain marvel the phoenix or whatever the gently caress else he said

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

i mean they made Kamala a mutant and there's the wolverine tease in she hulk so they are already there
Ah, yeah. I meant X-Men, as in, like the team itself as an established force.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blockhouse posted:

is that a real thing or just a thing chris claremont ranted about during a panel like how they're going to make captain marvel the phoenix or whatever the gently caress else he said

There's a bunch of various media outlets reporting that the producers and original cast are still on contract with first right of refusal.

Kevin Feige also said that there won't be any production work on anything involving X-Men until at least 2025 (he did not say why, but the assumption is contract issues).

That's why you are seeing all the mutant build up, but nobody from the X-Men lineup (and the two they did include were both played by the original actors).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just want Anya Taylor-Joy to come back as Magik

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i gotta wonder how those sites manage to stay afloat, cuz nobodies using those Affliate Links

I figured those sites redirected you to chaturbate or mfc to make money.

Yes ATJ back as Illyana and not making her racist. Also Daphne Keen could come back as Laura really easily.

Milly Alcock is really good on Hot D, there's probably a young mutant she can play.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

Milly Alcock is really good on Hot D, there's probably a young mutant she can play.
She'd make a kicking rad Stepford Cuckoos.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CapnAndy posted:

She'd make a kicking rad Stepford Cuckoos.

I don't think that the MCU should start with that right off the gate, though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm quietly convinced that we will see Pete Wisdom first in Blade as Marvel seems to be seeding in the little-m mutants before getting to The X-Men

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you wanted to do a close to the comics Cuckoos she'd be too old to play the role by the time you get to it, but you could do the Cuckoos fine without the Emma Frost connection and Weapon X bullshit.

Hive mind triplet (or quintuplet) Mean Girls is interesting enough.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. The mutants should be loving weird and everyone's used to Wolverine and Nightcrawler. Hit 'em with the hive mind quintuplet Mean Girls and the kid covered in eyes right off the bat.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

twistedmentat posted:

I will only be calling it Hot D from now on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

If you wanted to do a close to the comics Cuckoos she'd be too old to play the role by the time you get to it, but you could do the Cuckoos fine without the Emma Frost connection and Weapon X bullshit.

They already did the Cuckoos without Emma on the X-Men without the X-Men show, Gifted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I will only be calling it Hot D from now on.

Hey man did you catch the Hot D the other night?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey man did you catch the Hot D the other night?

The one with M. Allcock?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. The mutants should be loving weird and everyone's used to Wolverine and Nightcrawler. Hit 'em with the hive mind quintuplet Mean Girls and the kid covered in eyes right off the bat.

Yasss! Eye Boy, Glob Herman, Beak, Rockslide and Anole, that girl who's just a brain in a jar. I want a show that revolves around the kids not just an off screen B plot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here’s what I’d like to see them do.

- Keep slowly introducing people like Kamala and Sabra who’s powers are natural as humans, a completely new thing for the MCU.
- Have the topic of “mutants” come up as this trend is noticed and people start to grow concerned and try and figure out what’s going on.
- Introduce “morlocka”. The people who aren’t given cool sexy powers but basically have their lives ruined.
-In the process of all of this introduce a few notable X Men.
- Have the hate and bigotry start as someone like Norman Osborne says we need to do something to “protect our children” or whatever.
- Then Xavier and Magneto show up with their ideas to save mutants.
- Then send the XMen into space to hang with the Shiar.

I’d maybe also do the Weapon X thing as another attempt to replicate the super soldier thing. That can set Wolverine and some others aside as something different and older. And you can basically establish that there have been mutants in the past but not in high numbers. So you have some mature ones too.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 14, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did they say if Kamala got snapped? That's still my pick for how mutants show up, the people who came back didn't all come back right

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My theory is that’s definitely gonna be snap related. I like the idea that “energy can not be destroyed” so when the Infinity Stones were destroyed that energy spread everywhere and caused poo poo. That lines up with the characters like Wanda and Carol who has their powers activated or given from exposure to Stones. It also can kind of retroactively make Wanda and Pietro mutants again which is why they were the only ones who Hydras experiment worked on.

But either way I feel like all that rush of energy from the stones either from their destruction or the snaps activated a ton of latent x genes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

My theory is that’s definitely gonna be snap related. I like the idea that “energy can not be destroyed” so when the Infinity Stones were destroyed that energy spread everywhere and caused poo poo. That lines up with the characters like Wanda and Carol who has their powers activated or given from exposure to Stones. It also can kind of retroactively make Wanda and Pietro mutants again which is why they were the only ones who Hydras experiment worked on.

But either way I feel like all that rush of energy from the stones either from their destruction or the snaps activated a ton of latent x genes.

The director said she didn't, but there isn't much in the show one way or the other, so they could theoretically reverse course.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the way Kamala's family is you would have heard about her (or anyone else in the family) being snapped.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The director said she didn't, but there isn't much in the show one way or the other, so they could theoretically reverse course.

What director said who didn’t what? That Wanda didn’t get her powers from the stone? I find that whole thing ambiguous. Agatha says it was her subconscious powers that kept the missile from exploding and she’s prophesied or something but either way something clearly happened when she made contact with the stone. Even if it just woke her powers up. And Pietro presumably also got his powers that way and he’s not a witch right?

And you could always simply say that Agatha and all natural witches (like Ned?) are mutants as well. and that plays into the idea that mutants existed before the snap (or whatever the triggering event is) but something created a bigger wave that people noticed. Plus they now live in a society where you can put on a costume and become a celebrity instead of being burnt at the stake. And hell, witch trials actually kinda work well with the loose mutant metaphor of persecution and bigotry.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

I think the way Kamala's family is you would have heard about her (or anyone else in the family) being snapped.

maybe it's like Spider-Man's classmates and every single person in her family got snapped

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also not sure if Kamala being obsessed with Carol would work if she didn't live through the snap era where Captain Marvel was more active on Earth.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

What director said who didn’t what? That Wanda didn’t get her powers from the stone? I find that whole thing ambiguous. Agatha says it was her subconscious powers that kept the missile from exploding and she’s prophesied or something but either way something clearly happened when she made contact with the stone. Even if it just woke her powers up. And Pietro presumably also got his powers that way and he’s not a witch right?

And you could always simply say that Agatha and all natural witches (like Ned?) are mutants as well. and that plays into the idea that mutants existed before the snap (or whatever the triggering event is) but something created a bigger wave that people noticed. Plus they now live in a society where you can put on a costume and become a celebrity instead of being burnt at the stake. And hell, witch trials actually kinda work well with the loose mutant metaphor of persecution and bigotry.

The two directors of Ms. Marvel said nobody in her family got snapped and they had all been together during the blip.

There's nothing in the show that really goes one way or the other, but it would be kind of weird if some people in her family were 5 years older and never mentioned it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The two directors of Ms. Marvel said nobody in her family got snapped and they had all been together during the blip.

There's nothing in the show that really goes one way or the other, but it would be kind of weird if some people in her family were 5 years older and never mentioned it.

I think you’re responding to the wrong person. I never said anything about Kamala being snapped. Like I said I think it makes more sense for it to be a rush of energy from the snap/destruction of the stones. Like a surge of cosmic energy sparking a bunch of existing latent genes or producing new ones. That can affect everyone.

Although in Kamala’s case she’s part alien and her powers seem to be activated by the bangle. So even though she was called a mutant she’s probably a bit different from what mutants usually are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

I think you’re responding to the wrong person. I never said anything about Kamala being snapped. Like I said I think it makes more sense for it to be a rush of energy from the snap/destruction of the stones. Like a surge of cosmic energy sparking a bunch of existing latent genes or producing new ones. That can affect everyone.

Although in Kamala’s case she’s part alien and her powers seem to be activated by the bangle. So even though she was called a mutant she’s probably a bit different from what mutants usually are.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that mutants would be tied to the snap. I just remember that being a thing people were talking about during the finale and the directors of Ms. Marvel said it wasn't the case for Kamala.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I do think there should probably be a link. But not “people who got snapped came back mutants”. In my version where it was the destruction of the stones that caused a wave of cosmic energy it would actually mean just the people not snapped were affected.

Which I think would also be a cool way to go because you could start the mutant clock at the first snap and have mutants living in hiding and fear for 5-7 years. Or wherever we’re at now.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I mean I do think there should probably be a link. But not “people who got snapped came back mutants”. In my version where it was the destruction of the stones that caused a wave of cosmic energy it would actually mean just the people not snapped were affected.

Which I think would also be a cool way to go because you could start the mutant clock at the first snap and have mutants living in hiding and fear for 5-7 years. Or wherever we’re at now.

How do Magneto and Professor X fit in?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

How do Magneto and Professor X fit in?

I’d say mutants have been around for a long time just in small numbers. I’d maybe even suggest that those who have gotten powers through serums or exposure to the stones or magic (or even terrigan mists) basically had latent x genes that were activated by these outside forces. But “mutants” are those who’s x genes just activate on their own and Xavier and Magneto just had their powers activate spontaneously years before the snap. And then they were around and maybe already trying to help mutants when the infinity stones energy basically created a wave of mutants that makes the world take notice.

Alternatively if you want mutants to have never existed before the snap you could have Xavier and Erik as educators or something already engaged in helping or change when they gain their powers. And then they spent 5 years during the blip struggling with them and helping other new mutants (many of them orphans) scared and without any resources in a hosed up world. So by the time we meet them they could be like 10 years into it and have their poo poo established.

But I personally prefer “mutants have always existed, something just jacked the numbers”. And that gives you more room to do whatever you want with Xavier, Magneto, or whoever.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 14, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My idea is still that Xavier's been running the school for years behind the scenes and using his powers to keep human knowledge of mutants suppressed/in the dark*. Then the movie kind of starts with some kind of inciting incident that's too big to cover up. And/or maybe you have an incident force the students to reveal their powers in public (Bonus if you want, you could use this to make the X-Men the students' idea instead of Xavier's)

*or gently caress it just make it something Nick Fury knew about and was using SHIELD like the Men In Black to hide the existence of mutants. If he was keeping Captain Marvel and the Kree/Skrulls under wraps for years, why not mutants too?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Whatever they come up with, Phase 7 should just be the mutants. Give everyone we know a break and basically redo Phase 1 but with the X-Men.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Whatever they come up with, Phase 7 should just be the mutants. Give everyone we know a break and basically redo Phase 1 but with the X-Men.
”You think you’re the only mutant out there, Ms. Khan? I’m here to talk to you about the X-Men initiative.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

STAC Goat posted:

Ooh. I've been a fan of "everyone who was snapped had a chance of coming back... different" as a mutant origin. But I kind of like your idea more, that it's the unsnapped folks exposed to the destruction of the stones who get their mutant genes activated. In the chaos of the blip they'd go unnoticed much easier. And if it's teens like Kamala there's a whole series of youngsters getting their powers all start to awaken now in ways that will be worrying at that scale.