Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

And this is why you don't lose weekends bailing lovely places out.

Seriously. After they axe more labor you should do absolutely no work. What can they do other than pay you for 3 more months before they realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

note to self: never be good at things, only unfirably mediocre

I occupy the hellish middle ground in the venn diagram of "social anxiety" and "good at presenting things", so if there's one warning I could give to my past self, it's absolutely this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I manage my presentation anxiety by over preparing, which results in being asked to do more presentations

it's a horrible loop and I can't get out of it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't know where you live, but gently caress you you god damned gently caress, Ford

https://twitter.com/cp24/status/1569771028045524993?s=46&t=BicZL_gafEPIoU1HUiPg1w

LochNessMonster posted:

Accurate description of 90% of the people who work at a bank for more than 10 years.
Ughhhhhhhhh he didn't take the offer. I'm not going to let him down or drop him, but not looking forward to babysitting him on an "improvement plan" just delaying the inevitable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Don't know where you live, but gently caress you you god damned gently caress, Ford

BC, no word yet, pleeeeeeeeease lol

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

teethgrinder posted:

Ughhhhhhhhh he didn't take the offer. I'm not going to let him down or drop him, but not looking forward to babysitting him on an "improvement plan" just delaying the inevitable.

By your description it sounds like he’s basically not pulling his weight and/or stuck in old ways and unwilling to learn a more up to date way of working.

Does he even realize he is showing (extremely) problematic behaviour? If the anwser is no you’ve got quite the challenge on your hands.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LochNessMonster posted:

Accurate description of 90% of the people who work at a bank for more than 10 years.

I've only been at my current job for less than 2 years, and man the long term employees around here are something. It's all the bureaucracy and paperwork though, it just grinds you down until you become a cog in the machine. I sometimes joke that being able to work in this environment is more of a skill than my actual IT skills.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
There are (non-it) people celebrating their 20th anniversary here and I'm already thinking about where to go next lol

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

I manage my presentation anxiety by over preparing, which results in being asked to do more presentations

I do a fair amount of training as a side hustle. No matter how well I know the subject I’m scared shitless and compensate by having more than 30% too much content. Which in turn makes me stress about not finishing in time.

It’s really weird as I love teaching people but it gives me more anxiety than anything else in my life. The first 3-4 paid gigs had me literally sleeping 2-3 hours and waking up sweating like a pig.

skipdogg posted:

I've only been at my current job for less than 2 years, and man the long term employees around here are something. It's all the bureaucracy and paperwork though, it just grinds you down until you become a cog in the machine. I sometimes joke that being able to work in this environment is more of a skill than my actual IT skills.

It’s exactly like that and it’s the main reason I started contracting. I noticed that I don’t mind trying to “fight the machine” and try to change things for the better, as long as there’s and end attached to it. For me the sweetspot is 1-1.5 years and then I get complacent. The moment I notice it, I start looking for a new gig. I have a personal 2 year hard deadline to make sure I don’t get stuck in some place just because they pay well.

tokin opposition posted:

There are (non-it) people celebrating their 20th anniversary here and I'm already thinking about where to go next lol

I’ve seen over a dozen 40-50+ years on the job retiring over the past year at current client. I can’t even begin to imagine how much “phoning it in” that’d take me.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 13, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Boomers are laughing at zoomers and millennials inventing terms like "quiet quitting" for just another week at the office :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yesssss I get monday off to "mourn" lmao thank you queen for dying

(jaegerx if you see this, the monarchy loving sucks poo poo but I respect them for giving me a day off :mrgw: )

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

tokin opposition posted:

I've got a coworker at 36 years with the company. Dude's been here three years longer than I've been alive.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

(jaegerx if you see this, the monarchy loving sucks poo poo but I respect them for giving me a day off :mrgw: )

I booked friday the 23rd off months ago, because the monday is a public holiday here (queens birthday *chefs kiss*) and also my birthday so I always make sure I have an extra long weekend, then the government came out and said "Thursday 22nd is now a public holiday" so I get a 5 day weekend for the cost of one day of annual leave and its the best thing the monarchy has done in a long time.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Can I post a little rant here? As someone who was recently promoted to manager of a small team, I find 1:1s exhausting for some reason. I hate every second that precedes a 1:1, I'm stuck on useless calls a lot of the time, and am basically an information relay, might as well replace me with some e-mail rules which filter out gossip and shittalking.

I really don't love being a manager, I thought I'd get some decision making power but I'm just another cog in a wheel not really doing much, now I don't get to contribute in multiple areas at the same time!! I wish I could just keep making more money year after year as an IC.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

orange sky posted:

Can I post a little rant here? As someone who was recently promoted to manager of a small team, I find 1:1s exhausting for some reason. I hate every second that precedes a 1:1, I'm stuck on useless calls a lot of the time, and am basically an information relay, might as well replace me with some e-mail rules which filter out gossip and shittalking.

I really don't love being a manager, I thought I'd get some decision making power but I'm just another cog in a wheel not really doing much, now I don't get to contribute in multiple areas at the same time!! I wish I could just keep making more money year after year as an IC.

Do you have to do them? I have no clue, tbh. I don't love a 1:1 either most of the time but I usually cancel them ahead by just saying: "Hey I got nothing, can we cancel?"

I don't really do them at current role but loathed feeling obligated to do them at my last company, because my manager would literally say nothing in response to me the entire time if I didn't have a specific pain point so I just felt like I had to talk about bullshit/ramble?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

orange sky posted:

Can you proactively send invites to your staff writing "Telling me that everything is alright is an acceptable response, otherwise let's meet" ? Just make it mandatory quarterly for introverts that will say "I'm fine bye" even when on fire.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Feeling blessed that the Queen's mysterious allure has enchanted politicians even after death and seduced them into giving me a long weekend.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

When I do a 1:1 with a direct report I take them to lunch and let them drive the conversation. If nothing about work comes up we just eat lunch on company $, if they do have a concern or something to vent or a need/want we can talk about it more casually. I loving hate trying to do, like, a 1:1 teams call where you're both just staring at a face on a screen.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

When I do a 1:1 with a direct report I take them to lunch and let them drive the conversation. If nothing about work comes up we just eat lunch on company $, if they do have a concern or something to vent or a need/want we can talk about it more casually. I loving hate trying to do, like, a 1:1 teams call where you're both just staring at a face on a screen.

My team is 100% WFH so while I agree with you, it's life. I just make it clear from the moment I meet a new employee that the weekly 1:1 is their time with me, not my time with them, and they're free to bring up whatever they want or to proactively say "I have nothing to discuss this week" and cancel.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I am sure some people are thrilled at this type of 1 on 1 but to me its worse than all of the previous options mentioned. I feel the same way about any work based lunch event.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My team is 100% WFH so while I agree with you, it's life. I just make it clear from the moment I meet a new employee that the weekly 1:1 is their time with me, not my time with them, and they're free to bring up whatever they want or to proactively say "I have nothing to discuss this week" and cancel.

This is almost exactly what I do with remote meetings now. I schedule the time on our calendars, and let them know that this is their time with me if they need it, but if they don't have anything we can skip it and move on.

Something else I found that worked really well for my full-remote/on-site folks: I schedule one hour of "Office Hours" at the end of the day, 3 days a week. I create an open meeting in our Teams group that anyone on the team can join during that hour, if they need anything from me/anyone else on the team/just want to talk about things. I didn't think I would get a lot of traction with this, but it turned into a great way/place for people to vent or collaborate or just pick my/each other's brains about ongoing issues or whatever.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Career question: I have a pretty decent background in Networking now, what's a good place to start self-learning/certifying for Networking in the cloud

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Career question: I have a pretty decent background in Networking now, what's a good place to start self-learning/certifying for Networking in the cloud

Choose AWS, Azure, or GCP and go for what ever their entry level networking cert is. If you're already good at physical networking the cloud isn't really all that much different*, its just finding the buttons that deploy virtual routers/networks and configuring them like you usually would.

*At least from the standpoint of small and medium sized businesses. I have no clue what cloud networking looks like from large to megacorp size.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 14, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

https://aws.amazon.com/products/networking/

Its as simple as reading about each service.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

:argh: I don't get this holiday. The entire rest of my team is using EDO to take the day off anyways, I am the only person that is so new that I don't earn EDO yet.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Elizabeth Day Off?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MustardFacial posted:

:argh: I don't get this holiday. The entire rest of my team is using EDO to take the day off anyways, I am the only person that is so new that I don't earn EDO yet.

WFH and Netflix all day

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Work from the office and plex all day.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
You've suddenly developed a cough and are working from home just to be safe.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

GreenNight posted:

Work from the office and plex all day.

Legitimately thinking about this just so I can go to my favourite lunch spot

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Luv 2 get dragged into a fight between upper management because nobody filled out the form we sent out repeatedly

We're trying to send people shiny new equipment but reading an email and filling out a two question form is too hard apparently

Ah well, if things go the way they seem to be IT will be able to use the leftovers ourselves

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

Time to start a grift and split profits with the vendor.

gently caress, too late.
I found some documentation that was probably accidentally posted online by some university which included default passwords and just fixed it all myself.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There were some recommendations for using a newer text editor besides notepad++ posted in this thread but my searches are coming up with nothing. Does anyone happen to have suggestions on what they use instead?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Textpad is a good alternative. MS Code is OK too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zil posted:

There were some recommendations for using a newer text editor besides notepad++ posted in this thread but my searches are coming up with nothing. Does anyone happen to have suggestions on what they use instead?

VS Code

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zil posted:

It was the other thread. :v:

You know, the one explicitly for ranting about stuff in IT that pisses you off unlike this one where stuff in IT that pisses you off is a frequent derail because that's just how life in IT is.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Pretty sure my boss is going to unintentionally torpedo my project with the informatics team because boss is paranoid about anyone querying our database that isn’t doing it from within our program or going directly through my boss with every specific of their query and having boss write it themselves.

Meanwhile boss routinely encourages us to do direct database edits/updates/deletions as part of routine support tasks. I feel like one of these things is riskier than the other, but it doesn’t matter because my boss is a control freak that has to have their fingerprints on everything or it doesn’t happen in our system.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thank you!

xzzy posted:

It was the other thread. :v:

You know, the one explicitly for ranting about stuff in IT that pisses you off unlike this one where stuff in IT that pisses you off is a frequent derail because that's just how life in IT is.

:negative:

That would explain why search was not pulling up anything.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shot:

Chaser:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

Pretty sure my boss is going to unintentionally torpedo my project with the informatics team because boss is paranoid about anyone querying our database that isn’t doing it from within our program or going directly through my boss with every specific of their query and having boss write it themselves.

Meanwhile boss routinely encourages us to do direct database edits/updates/deletions as part of routine support tasks. I feel like one of these things is riskier than the other, but it doesn’t matter because my boss is a control freak that has to have their fingerprints on everything or it doesn’t happen in our system.

I used to work with a boss like this. I hated him. Probably one of the few people I've run across in my career who I actively despised, even all these years later. I tried to do everything I could to essentially replace him with some BI tools, but in the end I just left. I hope the same for you, because working with people like that is exhausting.