Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah there are so many silly British stories in WW2, my favorite is how in September of 44 when Germany was in full retreat Monty managed to convince Eisenhower to launch Market Garden, which ended with nearly two full airborne divisions wiped out for nothing. None of the British radios even worked at Arhhem, they had to use the Dutch home landlines.

The worst part about this is that they postponed the Battle of the Scheldt for this. At the time a number of German divisions were basically trapped on the south bank and could've been wiped out had they kept pushing. Instead divisions were diverted to assist Market Garden. Those very same German division were evacuated into Holland and then put on rest & recovery... near Arnhem. They end up being the guys wrecking the paras.

This all means the port in Antwerp takes longer to come online, as well. Which like, even if Market Garden had succeeded and you force the Rhine crossing, you still don't have a goddamn port to supply your breakthrough because you didn't clear the Scheldt, so you're still Red Ball Expressing your way from Le Havre and goddamn Cherbourg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

gradenko_2000 posted:

everything I've read about the Battle of Britain that touched on this respect said over and over that it was Britain that had the distinct advantage because all of their pilots that bailed out would just land in England, but all of the Luftwaffe pilots that bailed out would be captured

I'm starting to think the silence on what happened to pilots over the Channel might have been a deliberate omission

This was a huge advantage because most planes had very low range in the early years of the war. If you flew all the way across the channel then you only had a few minutes of fighting or bombing time before you had to turn back and couldn't do much maneuvering on the way out they just run out of gas.

The British were able to time out the interception missions with their good radar coverage and with more fuel in the tank the Luftwaffe took massive losses every time they crossed over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KxPpoq7iU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

John Charity Spring posted:

it's a novel rather than a non-fiction book but I really recommend Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson as an insight into what RAF fighter squadrons were like in the first year of WW2. it's a fantastic book and meticulously researched on top of being well-written, and it sparked outrage in the UK when it was published in the 1970s because people said it was an insult to the heroes of the Battle of Britain lol
I loving love Piece of Cake.

It was unpopular, and still is, because it is all about whacking the reader over the head with how deeply stupid British leadership and institutions were in WWII.

Specifically, the book is of the point of view that the Battle of Britain and the early raids on Germany were pointless. There was no way the Germans could actually invade and conquer the island of Britain. There was no way the UK could beat the Reich without troops on the European continent. Robinson is of the opinion that the whole thing was essentially a public relations campaign designed to show friends, enemies, potential allies, and the people of the United Kingdom that the British military was doing SOMETHING. Just because the something didn't actually have a point or accomplish anything was moot. There was a war, so war stuff had to happen.

This is so absolutely loving counter to the traditional entrenched rah rah plucky Britain stood alone Spitfires and shelters bullshit that somehow gets stronger and stronger with every passing year, never weaker, that Piece of Cake is never not going to be controversial

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I loving love Piece of Cake.

It was unpopular, and still is, because it is all about whacking the reader over the head with how deeply stupid British leadership and institutions were in WWII.

Specifically, the book is of the point of view that the Battle of Britain and the early raids on Germany were pointless. There was no way the Germans could actually invade and conquer the island of Britain. There was no way the UK could beat the Reich without troops on the European continent. Robinson is of the opinion that the whole thing was essentially a public relations campaign designed to show friends, enemies, potential allies, and the people of the United Kingdom that the British military was doing SOMETHING. Just because the something didn't actually have a point or accomplish anything was moot. There was a war, so war stuff had to happen.

This is so absolutely loving counter to the traditional entrenched rah rah plucky Britain stood alone Spitfires and shelters bullshit that somehow gets stronger and stronger with every passing year, never weaker, that Piece of Cake is never not going to be controversial

it's probably one of my favourite works of fiction ever, it absolutely rules

a highly cspam book too, what with the bits about Plucky Little Poland etc

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wrong thread

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Now that one of the ogs, Elisabeth II has passed way, can someone recommend good books about British imperialism?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Given that her first book (Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya) was really good for that but was specific to one atrocity (the suppression of the Mau Mau Uprising), I imagine that Caroline Elkins's new book Legacy of Violence: A History of the British Empire is going to be even better, but I haven't read it to say firsthand.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fish of hemp posted:

Now that one of the ogs, Elisabeth II has passed way, can someone recommend good books about British imperialism?

Late Victorian Holocausts by Mike Davis

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Britain's Empire by Richard Gott is another good one

https://www.versobooks.com/books/1017-britains-empire

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Polish pilot parachuted onto a tennis court and won a doubles match while waiting for the RAF to pick him up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimBarrett/status/1570481993908981765

the more u know

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

So thankful this horror does not happen any longer.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongHouse/status/1571121980849688577

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AndreasShrugged/status/1571090456372727810

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fish of hemp posted:

The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire by John Newsinger is a reasonably short and readable polemic-history about British imperial atrocities and resistance to them, starting with slave revolts in the 18th century and covering up to the present day. It's a great book.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

It's an old book now but Wedgewood's A Coffin For King Charles is a great read.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dbessner/status/1571216570353078273

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Good_/status/1571223856496484352?t=6vB8l4xCP8H_eMdfvS8dhA&s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

For a long time there was a trend in historiography that treated the Cold War as "cold" because Europeans weren't fighting other Europeans. WW1 and WW2 counted as bad because it was white on white violence and the Cold War averted that version of WW3 so it was really peaceful. You could read entire books on the Cold War that basically just talked about Europe and Kremlin-White House diplomacy and pretended 90% of the world didn't exist. You'd get whole chapters on this nuclear summit or that nuclear summit but look up Guatemala or Iran or Chile in the index and there are no entries. Not coincidentally those books also made it really easy to demonize the USSR - look, they're crushing democracy in Hungary and Czechoslovakia and Poland! Feel bad for the poor Europeans! - while ignoring the US's crimes because they all happened to poor people in other parts of the world. The impression you walk away from is the noble United States defending plucky European democracy against the evil empire, end of story.

That's changed now thankfully, over the last 20 years there's been a huge explosion of books looking at the Cold War in global context and emphasizing the extreme levels of violence used to impose ideological conformity on the Third World, but decades of that previous historiography doesn't fade into irrelevance overnight unfortunately.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

been traveling around Busan for the past week or so and i fuckin’ love this city. it’s bizarre to me, a dumbass american raised without an ounce of class consciousness, to stumble into an art museum and see some pretty cool stuff grappling with class and labor issues, what might happen to workers going forward, etc. the contemporary art museum had a work that just absolutely demolished web3, meanwhile back in america every art thing ive has had an nft section.

anyway - i was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for books on south korea’s labor movement, especially in 1987. just wanted to check this thread before striking out on my own

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wait until this motherfucker learns about Africa.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
"I don't know, why?"
"To get to the other side."

I'm annoyed by the claim that the 'other side' means death and this is a joke about suicide. So I looked into the history of the chicken crossing the road, and it turns out it's originally a racist joke. According to Ken Burns' Jazz, it was popularized by minstrel shows, as a sketch where someone in blackface would be too stupid to solve the simple riddle "why did the chicken cross the road".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

everything I've read about the Battle of Britain that touched on this respect said over and over that it was Britain that had the distinct advantage because all of their pilots that bailed out would just land in England, but all of the Luftwaffe pilots that bailed out would be captured

I'm starting to think the silence on what happened to pilots over the Channel might have been a deliberate omission
Check out this kickass video on rescue buoys in the Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fDnSQoneiE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Using a highlighter on a dead-tree book that you're reading for leisure: yes or no?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Is the book from a library?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

Is the book from a library?

Nope

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that's just creating environmental storytelling for whoever owns it next

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Then not only should you highlight important bits, you should also leave comments on the margins. :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I just use those little plastic flags to mark important paragraphs

of course because I’m an idiot all paragraphs become important so my copy of battlecry of freedom is half plastic by weight

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
"I don't know, why?"
"To get to the other side."

I'm annoyed by the claim that the 'other side' means death and this is a joke about suicide. So I looked into the history of the chicken crossing the road, and it turns out it's originally a racist joke. According to Ken Burns' Jazz, it was popularized by minstrel shows, as a sketch where someone in blackface would be too stupid to solve the simple riddle "why did the chicken cross the road".

The chicken understands what you do not: That its entire existence is predicated on the continuation of the joke. It's life, much like yours, is part of a farce. A cosmic jape. Except the chicken's is much more literal to us since we, in the span of seven words, have created it's entire universe. There is only one path for the chicken, and you have already deterministically set it upon this path by your use of the past tense, 'did'. The events of the chicken's not only are predetermined but have already occurred. The completion of the joke is the death of the chicken, even had it survived its crossing the joke would end and so would its existence. Both routes to a single point the chicken, in kind, responds in a superposition of answers. Both of it's singular triumph and of the futility of it all.
To get to the other side, sir, I think would like the coleslaw.

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Sep 23, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The chicken store called, it crossed to get away from YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Q: Why did the chicken- a domesticated animal, whose evolution and persistence as a species is propagated by its masters, a cruel joke of success through failure and pain and so on and so forth, emblematic of the common person whose desires to live and persist serve those who benefit more from their existence than the self- why did this chicken decide to embark on the crossing of a simple country road? 

A: In this crossing, this chicken is fulfilling an imperative of exploration, but exploration in a misguided and false sense, like a man exploring ideology heedless of the fact that such exploration is not discovery,but rather a rote role laid out by the Great Other. This domestic food animal, much like the human who wanders from book to book, is moving forward in the only manner available to it, to attain something of a breakthrough or perspective on the road from the other side of it. In this crossing, this ideological journey, the chicken finds comfort and so on; but no conclusion save that of death, as we all shall one day experience. 

--Streetjoke Žižek 

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That also works pretty well in Werner Herzog voice too.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Herzog would never say this about a chicken. He hates them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1572994885874958336

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HuntClancy/status/1573332870755753984

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

The following night, however, Howard disappeared. As he and his wife Mary drove back from a dinner away from their home, Howard leapt from the car as Mary slowed to round a corner. He left a dummy made from stuffed clothes and an old wig stand in his seat to fool the pursuing agents, and fled to Albuquerque, where he took a plane to New York City. Once at home, Mary called a number she knew would reach an answering machine, and played a pre-recorded message from Edward to fool the wiretap and buy her husband more time. From New York, Howard flew to Helsinki, and from there, he walked into the Soviet embassy.
wutta g

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

biafra sucks and was used by france as a wedge to try to get oil-rich african lands through a breakaway ethnostate. funnily enough the brits and soviets were on the same side for very different reasons

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Been reading about the Sikh empire, and the types of Europeans that went to fight for them are absolutely wild. Like this guy was an Italian Jew who fought for Napoleon, served the Shah, and then finally came to serve the Sikhs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Ventura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There were a few other people like him. Quirked up white boys going to the orient to join the sikhs is very funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Gardner_(soldier)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Harlan