Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Soylent Pudding posted:

I know nothing about Armenia/ Azerbaijan. What are they fighting over and is one less terrible than the other?

As far as I understand it it's a protracted post colonial conflict over official borders that badly misaligned with where the people actually lived. I mean just look at how messy the official borders are, enclaves and exclaves, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I know nothing about Armenia/ Azerbaijan. What are they fighting over and is one less terrible than the other?

Artsakh. Armenia claims the Western most part of the former territory of the Azerbaijani SSR, and set up a puppet Republic to administer that territory. In the immediate break up of the USSR, they fought over that territory and Armenia won, before Russia bigdicked a temporary ceasefire that became permanent (phone posting so I'm glossing over a shitload of details).

Azerbaijan spent the next thirty years roiling in oil revenues, and built up a military to fight and beat the Armenias in Artsakh last year. Russia bigdicked another ceasefire. But with Russia having a certified rough one, Azerbaijan feels free to disregard Moscows opinion on the matter.

As for why you should give a poo poo about Armenia, eeeeeh. I would argue that the Armenian 20th century started with a loving genocide, followed by Soviet domination that favored their neighbors over them, and then independence in one of the least favorable geopolitical situations of any country today. Turkey, the same country that committed that genocide, and then continued it under Ataturk, and today borders Armenia, has had a blockade on the border since 1995. It also happens to be Azerbaijans biggest arms dealer. Certified unfriendly if not downright hostile to .Iran, I'm forgetting the details of why exactly, is also unfriendly to Armenia. Azerbaijan, well, you already know. Georgia is friendly, but helpless to do anything for Armenia, because of their own problems with their neighbors. Maybe my best morally reasoning for my support of the Armenian state is that, historically speaking, it's a country that has spent literal millenia being flexed on by its neighbors (seriously, loving Marc Antony once had a king of Armenia murdered for no other reason than Antony needed a scapegoat).I root for an underdog, if nothing else.

Landlocked, and almost surrounded by enemies, and your best friend is your former imperial master, who is now unable to do anything for you, even if it wanted to. If this were an EU4 start, I'd say it's the hardest in the game. But it's not and a shitload of human suffering that has been going on for well north of 160 years is just going to continue to get worse.

That's my understanding. It's also based on a handful of internet articles and a book about the collapse of the Ottomans, so uh, not well researched in any capacity.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 13, 2022

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Armenia is also home to GiP favorite Joe Kassabian, Lions led by Donkeys host and twitter poo poo posting ace.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

A Festivus Miracle posted:

(seriously, loving Marc Antony once had a king of Armenia murdered for no other reason than Antony needed a scapegoat).

Marcus Antonius, why anglify one old roman name and no one else.
(Ok there's actually a dozen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_translated_personal_names)

Also, didn't Armenia did a little genocide when they conquered Artsakh last?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Xakura posted:

(Ok there's actually a dozen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_translated_personal_names)

Think more etnic cleansing, and ofc its been done to them as much as by them. Its ugly

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
lost my v card to a british-armenian lady so they always kinda had my support

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Xakura posted:

Yeah you're under no obligation to throw your support behind any belligerents in a conflict. Generally they're both pretty bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

lost my v card to a british-armenian lady so they always kinda had my support

Jesus can't these people catch a break

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lmao

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Milo and POTUS posted:

F

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress you can't probe for a sick burn

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Lindsay Graham Proposes National Abortion Restrictions

Guess the argument for it being a states' rights issue didn't stick around for long, huh?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Milo and POTUS posted:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress you can't probe for a sick burn

I'll take double in solidarity for this injustice.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I find a probe to be the best way to immortalize a post.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
6 hours is a small price to pay to have that rap sheet entry.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

GoGoGadget posted:

Guess the argument for it being a states' rights issue didn't stick around for long, huh?

But how could it ever be right if they allowed the S in USA to be discriminated against, and no man is an island and such ontowards furthermore
It was in the name the entire time

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

GoGoGadget posted:

Lindsey Graham just wrote all of Democrats' midterm ads for them on a day that inflation numbers spiked and sent the Dow down by 1k. There will be bothsidesism everywhere, but the bill super-restricts blue states even more with minimal exceptions. Fun!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol :thurman:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GoGoGadget posted:

Its nice of him to remind everyone of what is arguably one of the most toxic things for the GOP's mid terms.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is there a way to get two specific posts into the Library of Congress

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GoGoGadget posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm enjoying watching the GOP take a set of midterm elections that probably easily would have swung in their favor in a big way and pissing it away.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm enjoying watching the GOP take a set of midterm elections that probably easily would have swung in their favor in a big way and pissing it away.

There's no way Graham actually has a strong moral opinion on abortion either. Who is telling him it's a good idea to push this ahead of an election?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
rest in gently caress, you piss

https://twitter.com/louiseradnofsky/status/1569792844226863106?t=EwjSmOB6US5DEy24waR4kw&s=19

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Rip Bozo - We wish you had left sooner

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's no way Graham actually has a strong moral opinion on abortion either. Who is telling him it's a good idea to push this ahead of an election?

He needs enough cred with the MAGA base to play martyr if the GA election case goes badly and also to make the MAGA base forget that they want to kill him for being a pinko liberal. They've got the memory of goldfish so it'll work just like it did the last 30 times, but only for a few weeks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think, in some kind of twisted, illogical way, their idea with this new bill is that they can say “See! We only support a post-15 week abortion ban, not a TOTAL ban!”

Like, they know how screwed they are because of Roe, and in their reptilian minds they believe that advancing this bill (that they know will never pass) will cause people to think “well, they aren’t really out to stop abortion altogether, they just don’t want them past 15 weeks, guess I’d better vote straight ticket R now”

Which is absolutely insane, but they are pretty much desperate and out of options.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MrMojok posted:

I think, in some kind of twisted, illogical way, their idea with this new bill is that they can say “See! We only support a post-15 week abortion ban, not a TOTAL ban!”

Like, they know how screwed they are because of Roe, and in their reptilian minds they believe that advancing this bill (that they know will never pass) will cause people to think “well, they aren’t really out to stop abortion altogether, they just don’t want them past 15 weeks, guess I’d better vote straight ticket R now”

Which is absolutely insane, but they are pretty much desperate and out of options.

Yeah, AND Graham just couldn't stop himself from being cute. The 15 weeks (marketed as late-term, which, no) is a ceiling and not a floor. So not only does that gently caress over blue states with higher limits and fewer exceptions, it also empowers red states to keep lowering the ceiling down to nothing.

I'm starting to warm to the Democratic idea of actually calling the loving thing for a vote to get more than just one day's attention to it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/kjhealy/status/1569777036138369029?t=g-lKSC5aDbxfblgYVUEYkg&s=19

They don't make comedies like British comedies

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Is mad uncle Mike Sparks still running Combat Reform? I popped over onto the facebook page in light of the recent Gavin deployment in Ukraine and there's hardly anything related. Seems like he's calling Ukrainians pedo-nazis and more against militarism than the fact his preferred vehicle is in action once again.

He seems rather concerned for the well-being of his beloved Gavins
https://www.facebook.com/combatreform.org/posts/pfbid02zn8FNMdETtFD32eCPxM4QZFxx34ifkkn7RcEQgfiSxUNm8squcXFGU3zNqckemSwl

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 13, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shame on an IGA posted:

He needs enough cred with the MAGA base to play martyr if the GA election case goes badly and also to make the MAGA base forget that they want to kill him for being a pinko liberal. They've got the memory of goldfish so it'll work just like it did the last 30 times, but only for a few weeks.

The foolishness of this as someone recently on Twitter aptly pointed out is that MAGA HAS no martyrs.

You either succeed or you're a loser and a failure.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Where'd they get footage of me signing a bar bill? Right down to the pen not working.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

The foolishness of this as someone recently on Twitter aptly pointed out is that MAGA HAS no martyrs.

maga cannot fail, it can only be failed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

That was me. :)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
MAGAs are starting to flirt with the idea that J6ers are martyrs that did nothing wrong and are simply victims of government oppression, but they're not 100% of the way there yet. Definitely 85% or more, with more added to the total as Donnie posts more about pardoning them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Flynn spoke at some Q thing a few weeks ago then like last week was saying Q is a deep state conspiracy. there's no consistency in MAGA land just a mad dash to Grift Hard and no attention span or long term memory griftees

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

or you're the CSA, they're not scared to put an asterisk on that one for some reason

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Extremely unclear at this point, but Mike Lindell (MyPillow gently caress) is claiming that the FBI just yanked his phone, probably related to the fake elector deal. Haven't seen independent sourcing or a source I particularly like - the primary source is just Mike Lindell.

answer to below: they're olds and they don't know technology and don't want to be bothered, also they think law enforcement is only supposed to go at black people

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 14, 2022

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Why do these people not just regularly change phones?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Extremely unclear at this point, but Mike Lindell (MyPillow gently caress) is claiming that the FBI just yanked his phone, probably related to the fake elector deal. Haven't seen independent sourcing or a source I particularly like - the primary source is just Mike Lindell.

answer to below: they're olds and they don't know technology and don't want to be bothered, also they think law enforcement is only supposed to go at black people

Sir, this is an Arby's where we seize government evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Volkova III posted:

Why do these people not just regularly change phones?

they are giant morons