Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My GF is really into crystals. She has a huge collection of them and reads goofy books about what they do.

She’s also a scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Chief McHeath posted:

I had a truck and made sure my friends knew if they wanted to use my truck to move, fine, but I wasn't going to be helping them move their poo poo around. Turns out that if you aren't going to help them with the heavy lifting, there are plenty of other trucks.

You went out of your way to let your friends know you wouldn't help them move?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

scott zoloft posted:

well it sounded cooler in their head at the time

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Goons posting itt just to provoke a reaction from other dumber goons

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Goons posting itt just to provoke a reaction from other dumber goons

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

scott zoloft posted:

Yeah I sent out a mailer and everything.

Stonka
Jul 8, 2012
Claiming the greenhouse effect is real and is a danger to humankind. Then flying to go on holiday - adding an extra 1/3 to their greenhouse gas output for the year.
I feel cross just typing this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Huh? Are you replying to me? I wasn't replying to anyone else.

People will always tell on themselves when you insinuate that only consuming pop culture is detrimental

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Stonka posted:

Claiming the greenhouse effect is real and is a danger to humankind. Then flying to go on holiday - adding an extra 1/3 to their greenhouse gas output for the year.
I feel cross just typing this.

I hear you on this one but the moment I realized that industry and commerce chug out far more GHGs than any individual person and rather than change their methods and products to be environmentally sound they run campaigns to shame people about their personal impacts and use of resources and change the conversations around it to "individual" impacts instead of reforming the horrorshow that is shipping and industry. Pretty quick I stopped caring about "wow you have a smart phone but you hate big tech? Hypocrite much?" gotchas on climate stuff.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Pickpockets who poo poo in my wallet and put it back. Just take the money you sick gently caress

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

chainchompz posted:

I hear you on this one but the moment I realized that industry and commerce chug out far more GHGs than any individual person and rather than change their methods and products to be environmentally sound they run campaigns to shame people about their personal impacts and use of resources and change the conversations around it to "individual" impacts instead of reforming the horrorshow that is shipping and industry. Pretty quick I stopped caring about "wow you have a smart phone but you hate big tech? Hypocrite much?" gotchas on climate stuff.

The shipping industry is indeed quite bad on emissions. Sadly that’s an industry where individuals are responsible. The more stuff you buy from overseas the more ships must be out on the water. Some things may be considered needs but others are definitely wants and shouldn’t be purchased if someone is trying to reduce their footprint

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

chainchompz posted:

everyone knows corporations pollute and burn (expensive) fuel for literally no reason. No possible end individual could benefit or be providing financial incentive for them to do so.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they could pollute less and still make plenty of money, they just don't want to

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

hawowanlawow posted:

they could pollute less and still make plenty of money, they just don't want to

It's this. They don't have to make six packs come with free sea turtle and fish traps, they choose to.

I also don't want to give the wrong impression either, there are good reasons to cut back on needless consumption of course.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 13, 2022

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
evil deeds

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Farg posted:

evil deeds

hell,

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I always find it funny when companies prioritize evil over profit. It happens more than u think

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Heath posted:

People will always tell on themselves when you insinuate that only consuming pop culture is detrimental

Nobody is telling on themselves.

The post is “I judge people that pretend they don’t know about the most common feature of a pop culture reference while talking knowledgeably about that reference”.

Example: “ What was that variation the sperg guy :spergin: in The Big Bang Theory invented again? I forget... like Rock Lizard Spock or something, anyway it was sooo funny, Bazinga!”

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Extra row of tits posted:

Nobody is telling on themselves.

The post is “I judge people that pretend they don’t know about the most common feature of a pop culture reference while talking knowledgeably about that reference”.

Example: “ What was that variation the sperg guy :spergin: in The Big Bang Theory invented again? I forget... like Rock Lizard Spock or something, anyway it was sooo funny, Bazinga!”

I think you're confused

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

everyone knows corporations pollute and burn (expensive) fuel for literally no reason. No possible end individual could benefit or be providing financial incentive for them to do so.

Companies in the global economy do not generate pollution just for fun or because they are James Bond or cartoon villains--they do it to provide products & services for people living in the first world, at levels of service and at prices that people in the first world have become accustomed to. Consumer preferences are a huge driver of the global economy and are way under-rated by SA goons.

People in the first world overwhelmingly want cars, suburbs, free two-day shipping, constant availability and access to almost any kind of consumer product, food, or medicine, etc. and companies generate pollution to provide these things for them.

edit: whoops, I mistook the quoted post for being a sincere goon belief. pretend I quoted someone else in this thread who was posting a similar sentiment non-ironically

edit2: During the height of the pandemic, goons bitched and moaned about any kind of shortage/price hike for anything, even if it only lowered their standard of living by the smallest amount.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 14, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

silence_kit posted:

Companies in the global economy do not generate pollution just for fun or because they are James Bond or cartoon villains--they do it to provide products & services for people living in the first world, at levels of service and at prices that people in the first world have become accustomed to. Consumer preferences are a huge driver of the global economy and are way under-rated by SA goons.

People in the first world overwhelmingly want cars, suburbs, free two-day shipping, constant availability and access to almost any kind of consumer product, food, or medicine, etc. and companies generate pollution to provide these things for them.

lol why would you waste any typing effort responding to methanar

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Devils Affricate posted:

The machines work fine for the most part, it's just that there are a lot of people who are too dumb to use them, which is also something that I absolutely judge people for

I imagine things have gotten better since I read about this half a decade ago, but they did do studies and find self checkouts were slower than clerk checkouts. This makes sense as if you consider even an incredibly competent self checker outer, one who knows the codes on their produce without having to thumb through the system etc, they still have to both do the weighing/scanning as well as the bagging whereas most cheap grocery stores will have you bag for yourself while the clerk scans or most high end grocery stores will have a bagger while the clerk scans, either way it's 2 vs 1 person and importantly most people don't do enough shopping to have the experience ringing up things a clerk does. I do lots of grocery shopping, and pre covid favored frequent but smaller trips where self checkout was practical and I used it most of the time and even then off the top of my head the only product code I could tell you offhand is 4011 for bananas and 4093 for yellow onions, a good cashier knows basically all of these you're never going to beat them.

I did like self checkout though when I did more frequent smaller trips, the only niggling issue was the regular registers closed down to 1 or 2 aisles, so you had people clogging all the self checkout stands with carts full of groceries they went through much slower than a regular checkout. In recent times I've finally seen grocery stores put up signs that say "15 or fewer items" and actually kick the fullcarts out of the self check area though so maybe given enough time and conditioning it'll be a net benefit. I will however say the fastest grocery store in town does not have self check kiosks and you basically never have to wait for anything and it's great, they're just also notably more expensive unless you're vary careful about shopping their sales so naturally there's generally less people in the store too.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Being slower than a staffed checkout is part of the appeal imo. There's so much pressure with a staffed checkout, bc I know the cashier is being graded by their throughput, and there's some lovely mom behind me in the line ramming her cart into me as I'm putting my credit card away

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Killingyouguy! posted:

Being slower than a staffed checkout is part of the appeal imo. There's so much pressure with a staffed checkout, bc I know the cashier is being graded by their throughput, and there's some lovely mom behind me in the line ramming her cart into me as I'm putting my credit card away

Lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Elentor posted:

I majored in fashion being bad at computers was a pre-requisite to start and, surprisingly, the persona is forced out of you very quickly as soon as you learn you'll be dealing with the nerdiest programs in the computer industry and people drop like flies.

That’s wild I went to a school where the computer class had 4 SGI workstations that were supposed to be used by the fashion design classes but I guess they never watched Jurassic park so they had no idea how to use them.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
People who are mad about people not using self-checkout registers are the saddest little bitches on this planet

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Icochet posted:

People who are mad about people not using self-checkout registers are the saddest little bitches on this planet

Agreed

Except the opposite!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Patients that either don't pay attention or have the TV blasting while I'm trying to call them with lab results. And then try to call like 2 hours later because they didn't understand, even after I had them turn the TV off/repeat instructions to me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

cutting through parking lot spaces to avoid the speed bumps

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

hawowanlawow posted:

This is how you save your suspension. gently caress speed bumps

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You use self checkout to mark all your produce as bananas ya morans

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Oopsie. Like the underpaid staff monitoring 6 stations gives a poo poo. What are they gonna do? arrest you for making a mistake?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

You're an absolute fool, a clown pretending, fruitlessly, to be a normal member of society, if you ever even think about not doing this

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
everything is 4011

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

kntfkr posted:

everything is 4011

:hmmyes:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

leaving a pile of sunflower seed hulls, anywhere other than the trash

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Asking in the group chat when I will be home from work, for them to come visit me and to even stay in my guestroom while here. Then a week later they changed the date to come up while I'm gone for work instead.
Okay travelling up became inconvenient for reasons but still that feels bad dude why can't you see that.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Leper Go-getter posted:

Asking in the group chat when I will be home from work, for them to come visit me and to even stay in my guestroom while here. Then a week later they changed the date to come up while I'm gone for work instead.
Okay travelling up became inconvenient for reasons but still that feels bad dude why can't you see that.

Have you considered it's because of the leprosy?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Planting arborvitae or anything else from a big box store for the purpose of “curb appeal”. gently caress you, your house is a place people live, not some investment commodity. Stop buying literally the most generic plants you can find at the grocery store and find yourself a seed catalog.

You need privacy but don’t want a fence? Install some trellises and plant any number of climbing roses or honeysuckle or lilacs or whatever is appropriate and non-invasive for your area. Plant some real loving trees. We know you aren’t going to properly trim that plant fence and it’s just going to get huge and ugly and generic as all gently caress. And stop watering your loving lawn. The clover and moss isn’t going to hurt anyone.

Also, is your idea of making a turn is to come to a dead stop in the middle of the road, put your signal on, and then start making the turn into the grocery store? gently caress you.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Liking Cyberpunk 2077.

I don't judge anyone for their taste in video games or media of any kind - unless they like Cyberpunk 2077, which is unequivocally the worst, most dire big-budget AAA media ever created.

To like Cyberpunk 2077 you have to be really in to the concepts of mediocrity and settling. Like, you have to almost fetishize finding the good in utter rubbish and claiming it for yourself because you know there will be no competition for its love.