Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Remember the time that Musk kramered into the Thai cave situation with a sub that wouldn't fit in the cave then when the guy who actually saved all the kids said his idea wasn't helpful he called him a pedoguy then paid his lawyer enough money to get him to convince a jury that pedoguy wasn't an insult.

That's not the guy that is going to take humanity to Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tired: Hack the planet
Wired: Funge the planet

Party Ape posted:

Remember the time that Musk kramered into the Thai cave situation with a sub that wouldn't fit in the cave then when the guy who actually saved all the kids said his idea wasn't helpful he called him a pedoguy then paid his lawyer enough money to get him to convince a jury that pedoguy wasn't an insult.

Really the most hilarious thing about that, in retrospect, is that the accused guy hired loving Lin Wood, the batshit insane Q-anon "lawyer" to represent him.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

steinrokkan posted:

Really the most hilarious thing about that, in retrospect, is that the accused guy hired loving Lin Wood, the batshit insane Q-anon "lawyer" to represent him.

Counterpoint: That validates Elon's position. The whole Qanon position is based on projection.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

Holy poo poo, no wonder he lost. Dang, what a self own.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Jelly posted:

I love your red text. I've seen it a lot and I've never seen you mention birds and most of the poo poo you post is pretty tame so it just make me think you pissed off someone at Big Bird Cage. Like, who gets mad about people wanting a better life for caged animals?

Sorry for the derail, just cracks me up every time I see it.

I got drunk and attacked someone about caging birds
I got what I deserved
it's also nonsensical because a mod made it less triggering
it's a pig's breakfast and I like it for that

don't cage birds folks, it's like a cigarette burn on your soul

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Carlos Lantana posted:

don't cage birds folks, it's like a cigarette burn on your soul

I know why the caged bird singskisses

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Re the how smart is elon question? We can now set a lower bound on his intelligence: he is marginally smarter than this guy.

Matt Levine posted:

This week Trevor Milton goes on trial for allegedly doing fraud at Nikola Corp., the electric-vehicle startup that went public via SPAC; its stock traded as high as $79.73 when the SPAC deal was announced, and it closed at $5.36 yesterday. Nikola is most famous for making a video showing its truck moving; it had not made a working truck yet, so it rolled the truck down a hill so it looked like it could drive. I feel like if you did that for Masayoshi Son, and he was impressed and said “that truck sure can drive,” and then you were like “nah we rolled it down a hill, gotcha!” he would appreciate your craziness and give you $50 billion. But if you do it for public investors you will get arrested.

Here is an even better story about Milton:

quote:

Mr. Milton also said in interviews that the Badger was a “fully functioning vehicle inside and outside.” When he was asked on Twitter when the first prototype would be produced, he wrote, “Already.” Prosecutors said Nikola had only renderings of vehicles and concept sketches.

In one tweet, Mr. Milton wrote that the Badger would have a drinking fountain using the water created by the truck’s hydrogen fuel cell. Days later, Mr. Milton typed “can you drink water from a fuel cell?” into an internet search, prosecutors alleged.

I am not sure I have ever read a better encapsulation of what it means to be a startup founder. You throw out a wildly ambitious vision of the future in your pitch meetings, and then you go back to the office and google around to see if it’s possible. You just can’t do that with a public company, is the problem.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Party Ape posted:

That's not the guy that is going to who should take humanity to Mars.

Yes, I did remember most of that, but not the part about the sub being too big. I just thought there was no way to get ElonSub there in time.

Corrected that last sentence for you.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Anton Chigurh posted:

Yes, I did remember most of that, but not the part about the sub being too big. I just thought there was no way to get ElonSub there in time.

Corrected that last sentence for you.

Bazinga!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
diver guy also engaged Lyn Wood as legal counsel , which had a similar effect to shooting the judges golden retriever

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Zil posted:

He is such a dumb rear end. Like seriously how does he get any serious scientists to work on his stupid ideas?

Klyith posted:

He is not, in fact, serious about that.

This is just a game he plays on twitter. He throws out something like that that gets attention just so he can reply to random stans and make them all horny for him. That's how he made a posse of twitter nerds who fight to the death for his attention. It's the same thing as a twitter egirl, but he uses it for stock manipulation instead of amazon wish lists.

(And lest this appear as if I think he's playing 5d chessmaster here, no, this isn't some massive brain move. Elon is a pretty smart guy who has been deluded by success into believing that he's a comic book super-genius.)

Might be the smartest thing I've read in this thread to this point, thank you, Klyith.

Just saw on the news that one of Elon's fellow space cowboy billionaire competitors, Jeff Bezos, just had a failed mission today with his company Blue Origin. Since Jeff doesn't seem to be a good guy to work for either at all pay levels of Amazon, despite his public persona, I root against him harder than I do Elon in their attempts at World Domination 2.0.

Richard Branson is the other guy I was thinking of, but he's a bit of an also-ran in the E-penis Space Race given his lower wealth status, almost a Three Comma Guy pauper in that regard, but generally a nice person from what I understand.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Party Ape posted:

If you tweeted at Elon and called him a pedo guy do you think he'd get angry and sue you?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
He’d just block you like a little bitch

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Hey guys, want to hear the richest and smartest man in the world speak out loud?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3lUEnMaiAU

I dunno how to link times on mobile but check it out from 21:00

Seriously, watch it.

"W-we don't have much time to solve...uh...uh, th-the...neuralink"

The part from 5:44 is hilarious too. The whole thing is beyond satirical if you have an iron stomach that can withstand the cringe.

Also the bazingas in the comments think he's a genius. Just...jfc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

tbf to the diver, Wood hadnt even touched the Q stuff when that happened and had been a prominent civil attorney who had represented Richard Jewell and the parents of JonBenet Ramsey.

Wood coming unglued started becoming a thing towards the end of the defamation suit though

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Anton Chigurh posted:

Might be the smartest thing I've read in this thread to this point, thank you, Klyith.

Just saw on the news that one of Elon's fellow space cowboy billionaire competitors, Jeff Bezos, just had a failed mission today with his company Blue Origin. Since Jeff doesn't seem to be a good guy to work for either at all pay levels of Amazon, despite his public persona, I root against him harder than I do Elon in their attempts at World Domination 2.0.

Richard Branson is the other guy I was thinking of, but he's a bit of an also-ran in the E-penis Space Race given his lower wealth status, almost a Three Comma Guy pauper in that regard, but generally a nice person from what I understand.

Why are you like this

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ben shapino posted:

Why are you like this

Not sure Ben, why are you?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
BAZINGA

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Wubalubadubdub

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

In the 1890s were people stanning over Andrew Carnegie and pseudo-worshipping him as some kind of sorta Demigod?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Stex T posted:

In the 1890s were people stanning over Andrew Carnegie and pseudo-worshipping him as some kind of sorta Demigod?

I don't know either, but Elon Leathermusk and Michael J. Pollard invite you to find out!

https://i.imgur.com/hYQvq0r.mp4

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the twitter whistleblower hearings are ongoing right now and the coverage generally suggests this guy won't be very useful for Musk

https://twitter.com/ScottNover/status/1569706375411863553
https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1569707607140569089

it's mainly just GOP senators vaguely airing their complaints at Twitter while Zatko nods and tells them they're probably right

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I am a really ethical, upstanding guy who cares deeply about user security, privacy, and the bad standards of pervasive data collection common in the tech industry. What group of people can I take these concerns to, in the knowledge that they'll do the best thing for the ordinary people?

I know, the US congress!

Like I think the guy really just does have his heart in the right place. What I really would love to know is whether he is just super naive and thinks this will change anything, or whether he put together a report specifically to help Elon because he thinks Elon will do a better job.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
mm not having paid much attention to the details here i figured musk was paying him somehow (directly or indirectly) to gum up the proceedings

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

mm not having paid much attention to the details here i figured musk was paying him somehow (directly or indirectly) to gum up the proceedings

in other threads with infosec goons who know more about the guy, the impression I got was that he's known as a very good, ethical, and competent (at infosec) person

ie the type of guy who really would take a high-paying job at twitter, and then get in fights with them about data collection

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Anton Chigurh posted:

I don't know either, but Elon Leathermusk and Michael J. Pollard invite you to find out!

https://i.imgur.com/hYQvq0r.mp4

Richard Feynman really let himself go.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mozi posted:

he seems to have a massive grudge against Twitter so I think he's doing it for free, jumping on Elon's bandwagon because Elon is way higher-profile than him and has way more political pull

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

TO A PLACE WITH GOLDEN STREAMS

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

Klyith posted:

I am a really ethical, upstanding guy who cares deeply about user security, privacy, and the bad standards of pervasive data collection common in the tech industry. What group of people can I take these concerns to, in the knowledge that they'll do the best thing for the ordinary people?

I know, the US congress!

Like I think the guy really just does have his heart in the right place. What I really would love to know is whether he is just super naive and thinks this will change anything, or whether he put together a report specifically to help Elon because he thinks Elon will do a better job.

Isn't he testifying to congress because it was a carve out in his NDA? He wasn't allowed to tell most people everything he knows (which is apparently not much)?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Party Ape posted:

Isn't he testifying to congress because it was a carve out in his NDA? He wasn't allowed to tell most people everything he knows (which is apparently not much)?

whistleblower complaints in general were a carve out, which is why Mudge went public in that method

He's testifying before congress because twitter vs elon has given the spotlight to anything connected to twitter and congress-critters love a spotlight. Also 50% of congress hates big tech for banning nazis, and the other 50% of congress hates big tech for turning people into nazis for ad profits. So they're both happy to talk poo poo about twitter.

The question is whether this is a valid whistleblower complaint at all: Mudge is alleging a bunch of stuff that's extremely common in big tech, and questionable whether it's illegal in any way (either directly illegal or SEC illegal vis a vis financial reports). Ordinarily I am guessing that a kinda bogus whistleblower complaint would be super dangerous for someone in this guy's position -- twitter could sue him despite the carve-out and win. They just say to a court "this whistleblower report contains no allegations that would result in regulatory action, even if they were true". Prove that and they can claw back all the money they gave him and probably damages too.

But, plot twist motherfuckers! If Mudge's complaint is ineffective and twitter wins vs Elon in delaware, Elon is forced to buy twitter. Elon now controls twitter, and has no motive* to gently caress over the guy who tried to do him a solid. OTOH if Elon wins, the whistleblower complaint is likely a big part of it and maybe** gives him the cover he needs. So he's set up a coin flip of heads I win tails you lose***.

* other than being a giant dick?

** matt levine says the most useful thing for elon is that twitter did a settlement with Mudge without consulting him, which maybe isn't useful cover vs a NDA suit

*** exception: if twitter vs elon ends via out of court settlement with elon handing over a sack of cash but not owning twitter. elon doesn't own twitter, twitter still has reason to sue him into a hole in the ground.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1575508498430820352?s=46&t=jcTsZsI7KK9gmvgxtsW9hA

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't even know where to start. I just hope the next-of-kin of anyone who dies trying it sues the bejeezus out of him

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Batteries and stainless steel float, right? Right?!?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

*caulk the wagon*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lmao just lol
The Cybertruck will never be sold in the state he's set on anyway because it is a giant, angular piece of rolled stainless steel without any crumple zones whose frame and body are synonymous

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Will it have a propeller or do you drive out until it floats and then go with the current?

He's watching hurricane coverage while high and tweeting the first thing that comes to mind isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1575485554203967488?s=20&t=SAD04E-OVzsZ37-Rzv2iQQ