Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kalko posted:

It's a hard one to judge because it's always a dead draw and a wasted action since it does nothing to progress your current game, but getting even one bonus resource at the beginning of the next scenario is a big advantage. Feels like an Adaptable card to me, one that you can swap in when you're heading into an easier scenario. It might fit better into a Rogue deck that has a source of extra actions too since there will always be times when you can't make good use of them all.

So the more I'm thinking about Embezzled Treasure, the more I'm thinking this card is Very Good, Actually. The main reason is that I expect that this card will snowball through the campaign precisely because resources at the start of the scenario are worth more than resources at the end.

So let's say you're playing a big money deck where you want to sit on the money rather than spend it. You're planning on running Dario, The Black Fan, Well Connected and High Roller, maybe even Money Talks. Incidentally I've kinda sorta run a deck like this out of Tony Morgan you can find here: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2150169. If I'd run it again I'd cut the Easy Marks. Point of the deck is to get a Typewriter and Crystallizer down so you can fight, make money through events and bounties to turn on your big enablers like Dario, High Roller and Well Connected, from which point you can also investigate using the skill boosts + intellect and wild pips on the money events. Then if you exceed 10 resources by enough you can pay Working a Hunch or Intel Report to accelerate clues, and use their pips to investigate more. As the scenario approaches its end you dump all your money into those events as you don't need the 10+ anymore.

The faster this deck gets set up to a point where you have your core assets down and 10 money in the bank, the faster it can do whatever you want, as it can both clue and fight. This is why Unscrupulous Loan, Another Day, Another Dollar and Hot Streak are just all-stars in this deck, with Another Day, Another Dollar doing so incredibly much work for 2 reasons:
1. The money is available turn 1
2. It doesn't cost an action to get the money (and an action to draw the card that lets you get the money)

This means you get set up significantly faster, and greatly mitigate the slow start this deck can suffer from. Embezzled Treasure has the same upsides.

It is unlikely the level 0 version of this deck will reach that 10+ resource state, so you end up being primarily a fighter who can grab a few clues through a Working a Hunch or an Intel Report here or there and committing Deduction to your clue-focused buddy. I wouldn't blame you for only putting in Dario later through Adaptable. However, if you manage to squirrel away even just 4 resources in the last 2 turns of the game onto Embezzled Treasure, you basically just got yourself 1 Another Day, Another Dollar for no XP.

Then in the second scenario, you hopefully managed to buy some money generation cards. This makes the deck doing what it is supposed to in a relevant timeframe a whole lot more likely. That in turn also makes it a whole lot more likely that you can exceed the 10 resources you need, from which point onward you can start squirreling away cash. You can still pull off the big sprint at the end by dipping under 10 resources by dumping everything into Intel Report and Working a Hunch, too. If you get to 8 resources squirreled away, you've saved 6 XP and once again made it *much* more likely to be able to repeat that in the next scenario, as this deck stopped having set-up problems once Unscrupulous Loan, Hot Streak and Another Day, Another Dollar all came together. What this means practically is that you can invest that XP into High Roller much sooner.

By the way, once this deck gets Dario, High Roller and Well Connected set up, you can see crazy poo poo like Tony Morgan casually getting 8, 9 or even 10 (with a card from Crystallizer) on a Willpower test. Even more with Tennesee Sour Mash if you grab it.

The main thing I'm wondering is if you run 1 copy of Embezzled Treasure (because you don't need it early) or 2 copies (because you do *need* it before the end of the game). If you do end up filling up two of them, unlikely as that may sound, I expect you are going to break the poo poo out of the campaign though. In this specific Tony deck, because you have Preposterous Sketches and later also a level 2 Backpack (don't take level 0 Backpack) I think you can get away with 1 copy, Rogues with less carddraw might need 2 though.

In fact now that I'm writing all this I'm thinking that since you got a bunch of cards that only come online once you have enough money generation in the deck, it might be best to start with a wildly different level 0 deck and then use double Adaptable to put all your key level 0 components in once you buy some money upgrades and have used Embezzled Treasure to make sure you're ready to go. Specifically for this deck that'd be Dario, Well Connected, potentially all of Crack the Case, Intel Report and Working a Hunch and even Crystallizer of Dreams since you might start with so much fewer events. Even Deduction potentially, though I suspect that one is still worth it just to commit to another investigator's test. The same might go for Working a Hunch. Maybe you should plan on making 8 swaps with 2 Adaptables, use Embezzled Treasure to skip both Hot Streaks at first, still get Another Day, Another Dollar, allowing you to start with stupid amounts of cash, and then have this deck come fully online in scenario 3, only strictly needing 10xp (2x Adaptable, 2x Another Day, Another Dollar, and 1x level 2 Backpack) to set up. Priorities after that are probably 2x Typewriter (4), Unscrupulous Loan (3) and 2x High Roller (2). If I'm too confident about the money being enough with Embezzled Treasure and Another Day, Another Dollar, then get 2x Hot Streak (2) before High Roller. Though I doubt it because you can just run 2x Emergency Cache.

Delaying the Hot Streak (4) like this means you end up saving 8xp through Embezzled Treasure rather than 6. While you do spend 2 more on Adaptable, that should buy you being more useful in scenario's 1 and 2. Full XP requirements before Hot Streak then come to 25, which isn't crazy. It's possible you could do another utility purchase before requiring Hot Streak (2) or (4) as well.

As for other investigators, I'm thinking Sefina might like this card as well due to her big opening hand requiring more cash turn 1 and easier time making money through Rogue events. Leo would like it since he's a Guardian so he always needs money, though I'm not sure if he can afford to fill it for the same reason. Jenny has an easier time filling it and is a good fit for both big money (hoarding & spending) archetypes. Monterey Jack could also use his abilities' free money late in the scenario to fill this up and should be able to do with 1 copy using his Seeker card draw. The latter goes for Trish also. Big money Bob should like this card for the same reasons as other big money decks. There's synergy with Finn but I'm not sure what he'd actually spend the money on. I don't really see any synergy with Winifred, Kymani, Dexter, Gloria, Mandy or Wendy. While Skids would love to start with more money, usually he'd rather spend whatever extra money he has on extra actions during the scenario rather than dumping it onto this card.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

You make a good case. After I posted I had an idle thought about cards or strategies that slow you down during a scenario but give you more momentum for the whole campaign; like, sacrificing individual performance in the short run to guarantee success in the long run. And then I wondered if that's a valid way to play, or even possible. Generally you want to finish a scenario as quickly as possible and drat the consequences (aside from farming VP, which is in fact maybe what I'm talking about) like you're treating the campaign as a series of discrete games instead of one big game. I dunno, this is an unfinished thought.

I agree with you though that if you can keep the Treasure rolling you've probably built an enormous snowball that will carry you a long way.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Just don’t fall into thinking you need all 10 resources to get value. If you get 4 in scenario 1 it’s worth it imo

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, for sure.

Vincent support. Seems pretty good for him.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
That's interesting. I could see a potential place for it in a support based Carolyn deck.

Actually, I definitely think that would work well when combined with that overheal permanent revealed before. Carolyn heals damage on someone, then draws a card and overheals horror for a resource plus a +2 token.

Then you consider having Ancient Stone in play, which you probably want anyhow on Carolyn. You get all the above, plus you then also get to trigger the stone on the card draw. Now you have another point of horror healing to use, plus another resource. Assuming you target yourself and don't have any horror on you at the start of the action, you draw a card, gain two resources, and gain two +2 tokens. Seems pretty efficient, even before accounting for the actual healing you did.

Downside, this does require three or four cards worth of stuff, most of which cost XP. Most of those cards you'll be able to get multiple uses out of though, so I still think it's potentially good value.

It wouldn't be the first card I'd take for Carolyn, but I'd probably try to fit it in.

Lemony fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 13, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Joe Diamond could take that to heal Beat Cop and/or Guard Dog forever. Hard to say if that’s good enough.

Filthiest ally to combo with might be Agency Backup.

Greatest asset to combo with has got to be Bandages.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 13, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
For those who use the Arkham Cards app, is there any way to filter by effect? Ie, “heals horror”? It doesn’t seem like there is, but that would be massively useful. I know you can do this on Arkham wiki but I find that site pretty cumbersome to use.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=x%3Aheal+x%3Ahorror&sort=faction&view=list&decks=all&spoilers=hide not sure why this doesn’t work better but it’s a start.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I can think of a lot of decks with which I’d play an event that cost 4 and let me start with 2 extra resources the next encounter.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

"Let me handle this!" on an asset, except only at your location. I like it but it seems like a pretty niche pick.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
+1 skill against all encounter tests and soak seems pretty good to me! Plus being able to decide who is better able to overcome a treachery once per round.

Art looks weird though. Make the bracer a darker color or something if you’re going to have it inked like a tattoo.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I like it, fits well into the guardian protection role and means you can consistently help against the mythos when you aren't drawing enemies. Safeguard is a pretty common pick so you are likely to be on the same location as a friend and guardians often have decent willpower.

It's also another piece of armour so you can play it with bruiser and add extra pockets to it for illicit hand slot items.

3xp might be too much though seeing as guardians need to spend xp on big weapons.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, it's the 3XP that has me wondering how/when I would take it. Amina's deckbuilding supposedly lets her take charms but I don't see it being a card for her.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
That looks like a card that Tommy with World tarot would absolutely love.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Enemies are non-peril encounter cards. Zoey would absolutely love this, it’s a better version of the riot whistle. And if you’re going heavy on artifacts, it’s a wonderful pairing with holy Rosary (2).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think the Vambraces are very similar to the Tooth of Eztli in that both as a seemingly primary ability give you +1 stat to all Treachery tests (a couple intellect tests notwithstanding on the Tooth, but then when do Seekers have problems with those anyway?) and take up your relic slot. Also wearing stuff on your arm is good versus the Mythos apparently. So let's look at the differences.

Vambraces have the following advantages over the Tooth:
2 cost rather than 3
extra wild icon
2/2 soak
protect other investigators, primarily useful with low Willpower Rogues. Guardians don't generally have high enough Agility to want to take over those treacheries, but situationally useful

Disadvantages:
no card draw
3xp cost

Other differences:
Armor and Charm traits instead of Relic. Relic+Item is very tutorable in Seeker, though Item is tutorable through a Backpack which Guardian's might want anyway and I hope the Armor trait is going to see some support also.
Relic trait on Tooth has synergy with Antiquary, though a Seeker deck filled with Favors, Relics and/or Rituals seems unlikely.
Charm trait has synergy with Sleuth, so if you got a lot of Charms, Tactics and/or Tomes you might benefit. Seems more likely.
Armor trait has synergy with Bruiser, and what Guardian deck doesn't run Armor, Firearm or Melee cards? In this case the Vambraces might just be free to play.

I end up not running the Tooth much because it's expensive, only situationally even potentially does anything, and then still might not make the difference and draw you a card. All that together means I'd rather spend the card slot on better cards.

The Vambraces are almost guaranteed to do something, even if that something is just the soak. Being able to take over treacheries though makes it very likely you can actually use the bonus. Being cheaper means it might not sit in hand unplayed as much, though Guardians are resource hungry as-is. Then again it's an Asset, which does help with the Ever Vigilant on Stick to the Plan play which is near standard for most Guardians. Bruiser also just gets more attractive. If you don't play it though, it's a Guts or a 1-pip commit to anything, so it's always going to do something useful. If your deck was already running "Let me handle this!" you might upgrade those to this to find the slots. I do find myself regularly running "Let me handle this!", especially when paired with Rogues, with the extra utility of being an extra way (next to On the Hunt) to enable Scene of the Crime. When you do this with "Let me handle this!" it tends to feel a little wasteful, Vambraces won't have that issue. It also basically makes your engage action free!

All in all I'd say it's a Tooth of Eztli with a significantly higher floor and ceiling. It's also kind of an upgraded "Let me handle this!", though not strictly better. If that is worth the 3xp primarily depends on which investigators you are paired with. If the Armor trait gets more support this might go up further in value. All in all seems very playable to me, though not a priority upgrade. That said, if you were planning on using Allies to soak, you might take this instead of Charisma and likely get the soak for a cheaper resource cost.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 14, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The final three previews are scheduled to be revealed within the next 24 hours or so, which means there's still about 40 unknown cards. I'm surprised nobody actually has a retail box in their hands yet because I thought EotE was revealed well before its preview season ended, but someone in the MB Discord said they might get their box as early as tomorrow.

Here's an album of every preview card released so far:

https://imgur.com/a/7tyBpHj

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Seems alright.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s expensive, but it’s necessary. There really really aren’t a lot of ways to raise your static evade, in rogue or survivor. Going into the final scenario of return to circling down, my Rita was rocking +2 or so over base with Peter S and the shoes, this would’ve made a big difference.

Ky wants it as well, because he needs to succeed by a lot to discard enemies without damaging them, and his kit is not designed to damage them. He can certainly afford this.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

Seems alright.

Just putting on a wig and walking past the eldritch horrors while they ignore me :coolfish:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This might as well just cost 3 actions.e: I guess near the end of a scenario you might be willing to pay resources instead but by then you're more likely to just eat the damage and not bother with it.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 16, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I've played investigators who draw quickly enough to see this every other turn and make resources fast enough to pay 10 whenever it comes up. I'd prefer it how it is.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
That is a really big envelope.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

It's a little big but that mobster has extremely tiny hands.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, that mobster's hands are closer to the viewer than the recipient, and yet they're half the size.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nebrilos posted:

Gives a sense of how much 10 resources really are.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Omnicrom posted:

Gives a sense of how much 10 resources really are.
Ten underground tickets in Paris.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Seems alright.

Enemies not readying for a turn is pretty good, actually, as is +2, but 3 resource cost and an action to play this and limited uses makes this feel pretty meh. I'd much rather have this as a 1xp or 2xp fast card that costs less resources.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Waiting for the alt art version that has Groucho Marx glasses.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Enemies not readying for a turn is pretty good, actually, as is +2, but 3 resource cost and an action to play this and limited uses makes this feel pretty meh. I'd much rather have this as a 1xp or 2xp fast card that costs less resources.

You should try the one xp Fence. It was already situationally great but we are getting a bunch of new illicit cards so it'll be even better.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I could see Fence becoming a legit card. Why must it cost 3 resources though? Need to get so many uses before it's good economy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

5XP to one-shot a boss or heal +3 seems fair.

I guess this is the last preview we're getting? Really surprised we never got Carsons deckbuilding options.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That card is ridiculous.

Can you activate this, get the heal or damage, then activate it again?

How the hell does this not have limited uses anyway?

Why even bother with an intellect(1) test? Either make it an actual test or just an action...

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 17, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would think it was to make it less appealing to the investigators with low test scores, but who is bad at book and also gets level 5 seeker cards?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

You can't get more than +3 on the same effect. The healing boost is fine but the damage one should probably have been capped lower than +3 because as it stands it's pretty much always going to be maxed. I guess it basically reads "do three damage every turn" which is maybe alright for a 5XP card that requires two actions and two tests (itself plus presumably a partner's attack).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daisy Walker mad!
Daisy Walker smash!

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

SelenicMartian posted:

Daisy Walker mad!
Daisy Walker smash!

My thoughts exactly, especially with her free tome action usage this becomes disgustingly overpowered to go first, just run around and debuff an enemy for +3 damage, duck out with profana, and then let your guardian come in and smear them into paste

Since I always and forever love the Daisy/Zoey combo this sets up a ton of instances for Zoey crossing for 4 damage, "free" on both sides of the equation

Absolute nonsense, really

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
My first thought was more of Carolyn just micromanaging the poo poo out of a beat cop. I suppose she has the issue of attracting attacks of opportunity though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So Daisy could use this, then I’ve got a plan, then this again, then another plan to shelack something for 14 damage in 1 turn for only 5xp using a card with the most tutorable trait and which will let her team easily heal damage she took from attacks of opportunity next turn all out of the class which is meant to be weak at fighting?

Alternatively use Blood Rites to do 8 damage and only take the 2 intellect 1 tests on the book. And possibly draw some cards for your trouble while at it.

Seems fair. I don’t know why they insist on printing broken yellow card after broken yellow card. Could’ve at least made this Exceptional.

To be clear, the healing bonus is absolutely insane also. Especially because it negates the attack of opportunity issue you might otherwise have to care about.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well, when you put it like that...

re: the healing not caring about AoO, most healing actions are going to hit you with one as well so you're probably eating two attacks if you want to read the book in front of an enemy. You'll probably still come out ahead, though.

In other news, leaks are now fair game in the MB Discord and there are a few I didn't find earlier:

Dilemma:

Flashlight and Guard Dog are supposedly in the set but they could easily have changed since their original versions.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 18, 2022