Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got a ceramic nonstick "blue diamond" cheapo for eggs since I wanted something I could chuck in the dishwasher. Been working great for 2 1/2 years, but sounds like it might die soon if it's like yours.

Also got 2 Greenpans 3-4 years ago that are going great. In a fun combination of thread topics, we use it for flawless stovetop rice, 1 cup dried:

• Rinse 3 times
  • Drain, add 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup water for short grain or 1.25 cup for long grain
  • Bring to boil, then reduce to lowest simmer. Cover 18 minutes
  • Take off heat and leave covered 15 minutes or longer

It's seriously foolproof and since you use nonstick there's no crunch and cleanup is simple. It's not as easy as a rice cooker but we don't own one and only eat rice once a week or so. The above ratio seems to hold fine for 2 or 3 cup batches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

kalel posted:

I just don't want the rice to stick but without pfas! is that too much to ask

My rice never sticks to my insta pot

I just give it a few rinses and usually just do a 1:1.1 rice:water ratio with an 8 minute cook. It never stick and comes out great.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you wash your rice? You mentioned the starch bubbling up and I’ve never had the problem. Not sure if that would affect it.

I only wash brown rice, not white because it removes the sprayed on vitamins that replaces what was lost from the bran(?) being removed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lost vitamins like arsenic

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It sounds like nun is referring to enriched rice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A little butter (or other fat) in the pot stops the starch bubbles from going nuts.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I only wash brown rice, not white because it removes the sprayed on vitamins that replaces what was lost from the bran(?) being removed.

Take a multivitamin or just don't eat exclusively white rice and you'll be fine. Wash your rice.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I don't exclusively eat white rice lol. It's mostly brown or basmati, sometimes white. I was just following the instructions on the bag. I will wash it from now on.

E: And I do already take a multivitamin.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Instead of buying a rice cooker or dealing with stove-top cooking, I've taken to steaming my rice.
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-steam-rice/

Frankly, I find it less fussy because clean up is a breeze as you can eat out of the bowl you cook the rice in, don't have any starchy water bubbling out, and there is no risk of burning the rice although there is a risk of burning your pot if you let it run dry. It's even better if your electric or induction stovetop has a built in timer so you can leave it unattended. It also has the bonus of being a useful way of controlling your rice intake by only cooking a specific amount of rice for the meal; no way to sneak in seconds when it takes about 40 minutes to soak and cook the rice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I highly endorse steaming but "a way to control your rice intake" is a downside, not an upside. Eat all and only rice forever!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I highly endorse steaming but "a way to control your rice intake" is a downside, not an upside. Eat all and only rice forever!

Sometimes I get tired of rice, so I eat noodles, made of rice. Occasionally pasta made out of potatoes that have been riced.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We used our Anova sous vide stick for the first time. The salmon came out great! We didn’t even need a vacuum sealer since we followed Kenji’s
instructions on water displacement.

The only thing is the plastic container it came with has too wide a base and so much water is wasted. Gonna have to look for a narrow-base container.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

We used our Anova sous vide stick for the first time. The salmon came out great! We didn’t even need a vacuum sealer since we followed Kenji’s
instructions on water displacement.

The only thing is the plastic container it came with has too wide a base and so much water is wasted. Gonna have to look for a narrow-base container.

Do you have a pot?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s already a pots worth of water in the toilet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The container it came with was nice because it has a lid that has a hole the precise size of the stick. But yeah we could totally just use our le creuset or something.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

one of the issues with the anova is that it needs a fuckload of water to work. i'm not aware of any way around wasting water on this other than keeping a tub of slightly gross water around

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

one of the issues with the anova is that it needs a fuckload of water to work. i'm not aware of any way around wasting water on this other than keeping a tub of slightly gross water around

Get a tall thin container

The limiting factor on sous vide sticks is the height of the water, not the width of the water

mystes
May 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You can sous vide very easily in an 8qt container and even more easily in a 12qt container. If this is significantly affecting your daily water use you must have a composting toilet and shower once a week or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We’re worried about using a gallon or two of water to cook with?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean after society collapses sous vide may not be great but getting the electricity and sous vide bags may be an issue even before the water.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Assuming you don’t use a composting toilet, shut the water off on your toilet after you finish cooking and after you flush next use the Sous vide water to fill the upper toilet tank. That should take care of 1.6 gallons of it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Just use your dishwasher to offset the cost of the extra water you’re wasting.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I just let the water cool down, then water my plants with it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
We are going to grab a Breville Control Freak but before I do so I was just wondering, are there any less pricy alternatives? Love the functionality, and feel it's worth the MSRP, but I don't look down on more generic alternatives either.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Just use your dishwasher to offset the cost of the extra water you’re wasting.

You mean like this?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Doom Rooster posted:

I just let the water cool down, then water my plants with it.

I use my sous vide water to rinse off my cast iron that I used for searing. Dunping the still hot water on the warm pan washes a lot of the gunk off and then only need a little more from the faucet to get it clean

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Taima posted:

We are going to grab a Breville Control Freak but before I do so I was just wondering, are there any less pricy alternatives? Love the functionality, and feel it's worth the MSRP, but I don't look down on more generic alternatives either.

I have a FirstBuild Paragon that works pretty well in that niche, provided that you have the "cooking mat" accessory. It's no longer in production (GE decided to integrate the technology into their regular induction cooktops) but you can still find NOS on eBay once in a while.

e: I'm not sure if that one has the cooking mat or just the original probe. It would be important to ask, if you're interested in that.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 13, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cassius Belli posted:

I have a FirstBuild Paragon that works pretty well in that niche, provided that you have the "cooking mat" accessory. It's no longer in production (GE decided to integrate the technology into their regular induction cooktops) but you can still find NOS on eBay once in a while.

Thanks I appreciate it! But after months and months of CamelCamelCamel price alerts I just snapped up an Amazon Warehouse open box for $1,050 about 60 seconds ago!!! What a loving deal.

I have been waiting so long for this exact deal to pop up, sheesh. Kind of weird that I came up empty for so long and then got a hit right after I posted about it in the Equipment Thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where does one find Amazon warehouse deals?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Google Amazon warehouse deals because good luck navigating to it on Amazon.com

Also it's very ymmv with regard to the condition of stuff

Don't buy anything that could have been swapped out with a counterfeit item

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

A few ways friend.

1) you can search by Amazon Warehouse on the Amazon site, it's in the drop down to the left of search that defaults to "all departments"

2) if you want an open box of a particular item you can look at the used tab on a product page. This is hit or miss; even if the product does have an open box version, it's sometimes not a good deal. However, usually kitchen items have a relatively huge discount (presumably because users can be reluctant to accept used stuff that would be used to cook their food). Most of the time though, Amazon Warehouse is not even used items, but rather, damaged packaging and such.

3) CamelCamelCamel is an amazing site to do long term price tracking of amazon items, including amazon warehouse. AND if I recall correctly, CCC was made by goons.

This is the poo poo you want:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/

I use this site to get the best historic deals on all of my expensive kitchen items. I've found incredible, incredible deals before, like the incredible Bob Kramer by Zwilling Carbon steel knife seen here for $198:

https://smile.amazon.com/KRAMER-ZWILLING-EUROLINE-Carbon-Collection/dp/B099GWXFLV

I have a ton of expensive knives but that one is my favorite and is among the cheaper ones I've found due to Amazon Warehouse.

mystes posted:

No offense at all but I disagree with this person. I've bought tons of amazon warehouse goods and have had a fantastic experience. It's immaterial though; if you don't like a warehouse item, you can drop it off without even packaging it at a UPS store, so it's zero risk.

Hah I sound like a shill but I have saved many thousands of dollars using this method.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have also bought a bunch of stuff from it, I just suggest at least minimally considering how much you're saving relative to how much your time is worth, whether you're in a position to be able to immediately detect problems with the product, why the person who bought the product would have most likely returned it, and whether you're going to need service and have warranty issues because it's not sold as new.

It really depends what type of product it is though admittedly stuff that you shouldn't buy from warehouse deals you probably shouldn't buy from Amazon at all in the first place.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Vegetable posted:

The container it came with was nice because it has a lid that has a hole the precise size of the stick. But yeah we could totally just use our le creuset or something.

I have a Cambro with a cutout for my Anova that I use when I do long, high temperature cooks because the evaporation is very real on those. The evaporation on shorter (1-3 hour cooks) cooks at lower temps (110F-140F) is so minimal that the container is unnecessary unless I simply need the volume for more or larger pieces. 90% of the time I use my stockpot or Instant Pot liner as my sous vide container.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

mystes posted:

I have also bought a bunch of stuff from it, I just suggest at least minimally considering how much you're saving relative to how much your time is worth, whether you're in a position to be able to immediately detect problems with the product, why the person who bought the product would have most likely returned it, and whether you're going to need service and have warranty issues because it's not sold as new.

It really depends what type of product it is though admittedly stuff that you shouldn't buy from warehouse deals you probably shouldn't buy from Amazon at all in the first place.

That's fair, and it sounds like experiences vary. All I can attest to is that I've bought many many warehouse items and I think I've had to return... one? So I'm way into it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Click here

then here

That's it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lmfao at the discussion of "what do I do with this water?"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

mystes posted:

Hey so I just wanted to follow up on this because it was a valid point.

It came 100% loving new in box.

$1050 for a brand spanking new Control Freak, I loving love Amazon Warehouse. Amazon warehouse deals constitute probably 70% of my most expensive kitchen purchases.

The secret is that amazon has general guidelines for how much of a discount a used item gets in a given category.

For example, all other things being equal, you might save 10% on normal consumer tech items. But you can easily save 30%+ on kitchen stuff, and as far as I can tell, Amazon won't sell you a used kitchen item for safety reasons. I've never once gotten a used kitchen item in my many purchases. It's always a dented outer box or something completely cosmetic like that. They also count the box as part of the item so when the description says "cosmetic blemishes on top/bottom of item" most people would steer clear but all they mean is the outer box is damaged. 90% of the time the actual item has zero damage (at least, when it comes to kitchen items, I can't vouch for other departments).

This is a double edged sword though; because amazon is so careful with used kitchen items, the expensive stuff is rarely listed on amazon warehouse, and they go quick. So you really need to set a Camel Camel Camel alert to snatch the best expensive kitchen tools, and then be able to monitor and take quick action.

For example, I had a warehouse price alert set on this Control Freak for months. In that time there were only TWO total open box Control Freak's that were sold, one of those being the one I currently possess.

I feel like I'm giving away the fuckin' farm here on a trade secret, but I <3 goons (and frankly I have every expensive kitchen gadget I would even want at this point).

Happy hunting and YMMV but I've been doing this for about 10 years without fail.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 15, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Taima posted:

But you can easily save 30%+ on kitchen stuff, and as far as I can tell, Amazon won't sell you a used kitchen item for safety reasons.
Hahahahahaha, oh poo poo no. I've bought "new" water filters that arrived in an open box...full of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's cool man. I'm talking about nice kitchen devices and such. I really can't account for you buying... uh... whatever you're up to, but best of luck.