Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ken Starr is dead, gently caress him.

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1569788727576371200?s=46&t=YvCuauKJoVfG4E52_AVFvQ

Edit: Don’t forget all the sexual assaults he ignored while president and chancellor at Baylor.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1569697406215950340

putting aside whether or not Biden is or is not undermining labor with these plans (i believe he is), this has some real starting-your-term-paper-the-night-before-it's-due energy. It seems ridiculous that he is only now starting to form these plans.

Also, considering that coal and gas are transported by rail, exactly how many days into the strike will rolling brownouts or even blackouts start? to say nothing of wastewater management.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

e: wrong forum, don't know how I got into D&D

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Bellmaker posted:

It was that left turn at Albuquerque

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

A big flaming stink posted:

putting aside whether or not Biden is or is not undermining labor with these plans (i believe he is), this has some real starting-your-term-paper-the-night-before-it's-due energy. It seems ridiculous that he is only now starting to form these plans.

Also, considering that coal and gas are transported by rail, exactly how many days into the strike will rolling brownouts or even blackouts start? to say nothing of wastewater management.

I had already posted this earlier, but as a reminder, Biden and his administration has been working on this for months: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/12/politics/rail-strike-joe-biden/index.html

quote:

Labor Secretary Marty Walsh, who delayed a scheduled departure for Ireland over the matter, has played a central role in urging an agreement between labor unions and freight rail operators, and administration officials have made clear that a strike represents an unacceptable outcome for the US economy.

Walsh's efforts, which included a call on Sunday for the parties to reach a resolution ahead of Friday's deadline, are just part of the dozens of calls and meetings Cabinet and administration officials have had between the two parties in an effort to find a resolution, officials said.

Biden's National Economic Council has consistently held meetings on the issue, according to a White House official. Biden has been personally briefed on the status of the talks and is "closely following the actions of his Cabinet and economic team in this space," the official said.

Biden prevented a strike two months ago by imposing a cooling off period during which a panel he appointed, known as a Presidential Emergency Board, looked at the disputed issues in the negotiations and issued a recommended settlement.

That 60-day cooling off period is due to expire at 12:01 a.m. ET Friday, and Biden does not have the power to prevent a strike at that time. Only Congress can act to prevent a work stoppage, either by imposing a deal on the two sides or to extending the current cooling off period.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

No one knows how they got to D&D, unfortunately there's no exit so now, like the rest of us, you're here forever.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Uh, he hasn't "just started" doing anything.

quote:

Biden appointed an emergency board in July to mediate the dispute, following two years of negotiations between six of the largest freight carriers and 12 unions that represent railroad workers. Nine unions have reached tentative agreements with the carriers based on the board’s recommendations, leaving the two largest unions without a deal in place. A smaller union, the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen, struck down a tentative deal with the carriers on Monday night and has returned to the bargaining table.

Did you even read the article?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I love how people thought that for all the politicization of government, at some level there were competent boring people who came up with contingencies like this.

But starting with Covid, we've discovered that's not remotely the case.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, he hasn't "just started" doing anything.

Did you even read the article?

thats the union heads, mind you. the agreement still needs to be ratified by the membership, and from what my friends in the unions say, if the engineers strike the rest will follow

im referring to the contingencies, to be precise. I should have specified that in the post, so mea culpa

Jaxyon posted:

I love how people thought that for all the politicization of government, at some level there were competent boring people who came up with contingencies like this.

But starting with Covid, we've discovered that's not remotely the case.

to be fair, there really can be no contingency for "replacing all of rail traffic in the united states" its basically the single most critical piece of infrastructure in the country. Kind of makes you wonder why we allow it to reside in private hands!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 13, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is the Iran deal officially dead yet?

Or just effectively dead?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jaxyon posted:

It's only mostly dead

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

The tl;dr version is:

Iran had 3 red lines that they thought would be impossible to resolve.

The U.S. and E.U. negotiators solved one, agreed to sidestep another, and Iran increased their demands on the third one. So, they had a huge breakthrough a month ago, but have been at a stalemate for the last few weeks with no major updates.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Where in this article does it say they are only just now starting to form these plans?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Jarmak posted:

Where in this article does it say they are only just now starting to form these plans?

It doesn't. It indicates the plans already existed and that aides were reviewing them. It also states outright that the administration had appointed an emergency board as part of the negotiations in July.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Bellmaker posted:

Nobody goes to D&D, you end up in D&D.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That water treatment chlorine is pretty serious haz. A lot of the steamship lines won’t carry it because it has caused vessel fires.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That water treatment chlorine is pretty serious haz. A lot of the steamship lines won’t carry it because it has caused vessel fires.

i know youre big on logistics, how many days into a railway strike does it take for poo poo to get extremely hosed?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Does anyone know what the causes of the staffing shortage are and if it's feasible to scale up hires in a timely basis given the skilled labor pool?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Does anyone know what the causes of the staffing shortage are and if it's feasible to scale up hires in a timely basis given the skilled labor pool?

Infinite, because no one wants to be a scab.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
[Rant about public transportation, environmentalism, the responsibilities of the state, labor justice]

I thought Biden liked trains...?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Nobody goes to D&D, you end up in D&D.

This Shadowlands update sucks!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Infinite, because no one wants to be a scab.

Is passenger rail gonna strike in solidary with freight?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BRJurgis posted:

[Rant about public transportation, environmentalism, the responsibilities of the state, labor justice]

I thought Biden liked trains...?

Did you already forget about the infrastructure bill that Biden passed? If you did, here’s a refresher: https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/04/06/public-transit-investment-infrastructure-biden

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I mean Biden does like trains. That's why he's trying to make this deal happen.

Other option is the Full Reagan.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jaxyon posted:

A lot of passenger rail runs on tracks operated by freight rail

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Passenger rail is already canceling trips in the Midwest/west cuz those lines will be unusable.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

As a reminder, the simplest way to resolve the rail companies refusal to negotiate in good faith on the presumption of intervention is to seize control of them and negotiate on their behalf. Not just nod and say look at what the workers made us do, unanimously siding with the owners on every issue. Its not the governments problem the rail companies refused to come to a better deal on their own, as they are the ones with the majority of the power.

Or they could nationalize this critical infrastructure and services outright at its depreciated and assessed value in exchange for 30 year bonds.

otherwise its just giving them a reward for not playing the game.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Their is no contingency, you cannot run a train without a trained engineer (or destroying a lot of value when your idiot fucks up and sends 30 cars of hazmat flying off the rails/ into a different 30 car train at 100mph), and they are already so cut to the bone they cant take proper vacations.

Your options are literally forcing them all to work at gunpoint or forcing the RR execs to capitulate.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If it’s anything like stationary/operating engineers, and to some extent maritime engineers (tho foreign flag stuff kinda affects that I think?) they’re in the middle of a giant retirement wave and don’t have anywhere near enough people entering the trade to replace them, or even have the training capacity if they did.

Good operating engineers of any stripe need a decent amount of both practical and theoretical expertise, and these days need some programming experience as well, and it’s not too easy to find people who can do all that.

Also blue-collar work culture is loving toxic, so just slapping college engineering grads into spots doesn’t really work

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 14, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The FBI seized Mike Lindell's phone at a Hardees and he let the world know.

edit how did I forget the tweet.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1569847934849634306?s=20&t=2f4raUmkkU0jqgsIJGEQGg

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 14, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The maritime engineers have the five state schools and the federal academy. So they have a stream of new folks. We just get hovered up by other related fields like stationary/operating. If one has a marine systems degree passed the USCG unlimited horsepower license exams and passed the FE you kindof can do whatever you want.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

When, exactly, would have been a good time to do that? Only ones I can think of are during the interwar New Deal era or the 70's, and the right wing was not about to let Roosevelt have that; nor did literally anyone trust Nixon or the governments after him.

The early 20th century had several amendments that passed and several others came close. That would seem to have been the most likely time for greater changes to have been made.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

idiotsavant posted:

If it’s anything like stationary/operating engineers, and to some extent maritime engineers (tho foreign flag stuff kinda affects that I think?) they’re in the middle of a giant retirement wave and don’t have anywhere near enough people entering the trade to replace them, or even have the training capacity if they did.

Good operating engineers of any stripe need a decent amount of both practical and theoretical expertise, and these days need some programming experience as well, and it’s not too easy to find people who can do all that.

Also blue-collar work culture is loving toxic, so just slapping college engineering grads into spots doesn’t really work

Like so much of critical industry where wages have been cut to the bone and training requires years of study and learning in an increasingly toxic culture, and Boomers refuse to effectively train what would be their eventual replacements, to the point where owners cry to the government to provide literal slave labour for them rather than share a cent of their million-dollar executive salaries.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The maritime engineers have the five state schools and the federal academy. So they have a stream of new folks. We just get hovered up by other related fields like stationary/operating. If one has a marine systems degree passed the USCG unlimited horsepower license exams and passed the FE you kindof can do whatever you want.

Six state schools op

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Barrel Cactaur posted:

As a reminder, the simplest way to resolve the rail companies refusal to negotiate in good faith on the presumption of intervention is to seize control of them and negotiate on their behalf. Not just nod and say look at what the workers made us do, unanimously siding with the owners on every issue. Its not the governments problem the rail companies refused to come to a better deal on their own, as they are the ones with the majority of the power.

Or they could nationalize this critical infrastructure and services outright at its depreciated and assessed value in exchange for 30 year bonds.

otherwise its just giving them a reward for not playing the game.

Their is no contingency, you cannot run a train without a trained engineer (or destroying a lot of value when your idiot fucks up and sends 30 cars of hazmat flying off the rails/ into a different 30 car train at 100mph), and they are already so cut to the bone they cant take proper vacations.

Your options are literally forcing them all to work at gunpoint or forcing the RR execs to capitulate.

Believe it or not, it's been tried, and as a result there is specific legal precedent saying the government can't just invoke emergency powers to do that unilaterally. He needs to be explicitly granted the authority by Congress.

Though (as those articles mention) the Selective Service Act has a nationalization provision, it applies specifically to manufacturing. Specifically, "any person operating a plant, mine, or other facility capable of producing such articles or materials...as the President deems appropriate". It can't be used against railway companies.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I didn't mean in terms or replacing the current workers (which would take an extremely long time to train and certify a whole new work force, even setting aside the obvious issues with labor rights), I meant in terms of the feasibility of increasing staffing to relive the scheduling pressure.

idiotsavant posted:

That's how it's been with the airline industry too. A lot of incentivized early retirements during covid and now there's not enough pilots even with airlines panicking and offering improved pay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone planted bombs at Northeastern University in Boston and at least one of them went off and caused injuries

https://twitter.com/davidwade/status/1569887700261519360?s=20&t=FFulT004JUof44ojHEixRg

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

slurm posted:

Six state schools op

I’m glad you’re back.

I’ll rot in hell before I recognize Texas A&M as a maritime academy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I didn't mean in terms or replacing the current workers (which would take an extremely long time to train and certify a whole new work force, even setting aside the obvious issues with labor rights), I meant in terms of the feasibility of increasing staffing to relive the scheduling pressure.

That's how it's been with the airline industry too. A lot of incentivized early retirements during covid and now there's not enough pilots even with airlines panicking and offering improved pay.

Usually when we see this with state workers they retire once they qualify for pension/benefits then come back as contractors for twice the salary.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Believe it or not, it's been tried, and as a result there is specific legal precedent saying the government can't just invoke emergency powers to do that unilaterally. He needs to be explicitly granted the authority by Congress.

Though (as those articles mention) the Selective Service Act has a nationalization provision, it applies specifically to manufacturing. Specifically, "any person operating a plant, mine, or other facility capable of producing such articles or materials...as the President deems appropriate". It can't be used against railway companies.

Truman tried to nationalize the steel industry and the Supreme Court said no, didnt it?

Wouldn't the current court do the same to any such attempt as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a good rundown of how all this infrastructure works and what issues it's facing? Besides the oooming strike, I've gotten an impression that all this logistics infrastructure is about to have all of its human capital retire at once with no one to replace any of it, and by the sound of it this all has to do with god awful pay.