Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Decided to give it a play last night.

Conveyor towers have adjustable height.

For both the input and the output.

Adjustable height.

Adjustable height that allows for roads under a conveyor instead of making it too little space.

I cannot emphasize enough how much of a big deal this is. I absolutely CANNOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its been a long 3 and a half years but I think I'm ready to say Workers and Resources is game of the year every year from now on if we've finally got vanilla conveyor height tweaking.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's only "high" and "low" but having elevated conveyors as vanilla has risen my spirits

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ok well that should answer my question anyway then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It's only "high" and "low" but having elevated conveyors as vanilla has risen my spirits

Alcohol is covered hull, not aggregate :v:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Cosmonaut + cosmonaut is some extremely good poo poo. Currently clinging to my last 5k rubles, praying I'll finish the sewer pipe to nowhere before winter sets in and I have to go 2k negative a month operating my gondolas; the saved money on fuel and sewage export should just barely bring me even in the winter and positive in the summer, so I can afford the framing portion of a fabric factory in a few years.

Relatedly, it's obvious if you think, but I didn't think. If you're trucking water/sewage, and want to transition to pipes, do the sewer system first, since the process of making clean water itself makes a lot of sewage.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mandoric posted:

Cosmonaut + cosmonaut is some extremely good poo poo. Currently clinging to my last 5k rubles, praying I'll finish the sewer pipe to nowhere before winter sets in and I have to go 2k negative a month operating my gondolas; the saved money on fuel and sewage export should just barely bring me even in the winter and positive in the summer, so I can afford the framing portion of a fabric factory in a few years.

Relatedly, it's obvious if you think, but I didn't think. If you're trucking water/sewage, and want to transition to pipes, do the sewer system first, since the process of making clean water itself makes a lot of sewage.

TBH I didn't really think about this one. The problem of having to build a sewage system to all the way out from where you're doing everything else doesn't help. Waste time and money making a road, or waste time and opportunity cost having everything just trundle along. Also, make a pit stop or two for the excavators.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was today years old when I learned that if you don't supply power to buildings that store meat, the meat goes off (trickles out of storage)

what a weird little detail.

Volmarias posted:

TBH I didn't really think about this one. The problem of having to build a sewage system to all the way out from where you're doing everything else doesn't help. Waste time and money making a road, or waste time and opportunity cost having everything just trundle along. Also, make a pit stop or two for the excavators.

Do you not carry your excavators everywhere with flatbeds? I always put the heavy equipment in their own CO and put some open hull trucks in there and toggle them to only be delivered.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I believe fields trickle out their storage of crops in early October if it hasn't been picked up yet, too.

For this start, I passed on the expense of a dedicated flatbed (almost 1% of my total budget for a positive trade balance!) and instead just did a huge long straight shot out, maybe 1.5km from the edges of town where I put a sewer switch for futureproofing to the river, letting the excavator mostly work as it rolled. There definitely wasn't enough money in the budget for enough asphalt or snowplows (even now, I'm stabilized at ~₽20k after winters, waiting for the Third Five Year Plan to have amassed enough hard currency to expand; loaned 110k but also made about 110k in misbuys, so when that's up I'll have a solid 36k a year extra to play with as well as more pop to send to the cotton mill) to cover even the downtown road network, never mind the whole thing, so the impact of slow mechanisms was blunted by everything being slow in the rain and snow.

But it's doable, and it's hella fun. Mistakes I made:
- The aforementioned water/sewer. It's around the same price to send sewer as buy water, and sewage is ~= water usage so I thought either way first would be identical, but lolno; there's around 25% extra cost on the top for the wastewater from the water plant, and in addition a lot more per month for the chemicals to run it. It also seems like water... Isn't really a hard need? Like, if it's not available at a workplace the sim will skip drinking (and also not generate the sewage from doing so), but still get back home and satisfy themselves there with just the amount they'd have consumed at home anyway because it's implemented as building consumption rather than a sim need--so along with all of the above a robust water network will significantly increase water usage.
- Trying to start small and be thrifty, and picking the smallest store available. The food/meat-only smallest store available. My first 100 or so citizens fled back to Mother Russia where at least they have pants.
- An eye toward pioneer-friendly geography rather than longterm expansion or even hyper-shorttermist building on an existing road is important, due to how interminably long pipework takes with a low population. Meanwhile, if you're careful about not making any segments too short you can lay out the backbone of your road network with mechanisms only, even before engaging any labor, domestic or imported.
- There isn't really a good option for this in Romanistan that I saw, but a double-border corner of the map would make things incredibly easier. As I spend kopek by kopek on the Warsaw Pact side so my remaining vital imports don't get cut off in a bad month, I've got like $460k I've touched for nothing but four Matadors that took half a year to drive in and the occasional batch of third world immigrants.
- Clothing production requires more pop than is really feasible before you stabilize, unless you're doing very well. I should have stopped at fabric for now, though at least the clothing factory isn't super-expensive and I'm now self-sufficient in that. Fabric, though, definitely seems like the choice for cash given that crude oil is now trapped behind the very limited imported labor.

The process has made me really want a blanket "no moving to the old towns" button rather than having to find them on the map, open their city UI, and disable it there. Also the ability to manually site mechanisms; I'm kinda faking it now using my free CO as a crane yard, but even then it's often really reluctant to deploy them until there's workers on site wasting workdays doing things by hand, and when they were all commingled there was a lot of "fun" with having a site I wouldn't need for a couple years active because I wasn't doing groundworks say on anything else, missing the phase changeover, and it getting maybe 5 labor-days on it and my crane permanently stuck there until completion.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You know if you deselect the co office from a given construction all mechanisms present will be put back in the co?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

You know if you deselect the co office from a given construction all mechanisms present will be put back in the co?

Makes sense. But especially with the roll time, I'd love to be able to just go "yes there are no warm bodies on the patch of land those flats are going on, yes the next step is just laying a foundation and nothing needs to be lifted, I don't care I want the crane parked there" etc.

Also cases where I have the mechanism in the office that also delivers supplies, and I want the supplies to keep coming but the mechanism only onsite once they're there. Say, a unified highway dept and getting the dozer to leave a long road so it can go finish a short road, without also sending the four incoming dumpers with gravel home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wish that you could load wagons with multiple resources at once, it's very stupid that it will send an articulated truck with a tenth of a tonne of electronics components out and nothing else, rather than picking up some other stuff in the process.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Or multiple destinations for the same resource. I get that it's a lot CPU-heavier and may require rearchitecting of the command queue to work in general, but I'd love to see a DO that works on the principle of "fill this truck with X and have it unload as much as possible in order on effectively a bus route".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I feel like you could make it a feature in the sense that you could just have carriers check their pickup point for all possible resources demanded by the destination, and then it's your job to hook up all the different inputs to a single road cargo station. And it's an excuse to make dedicated warehousing and distribution points for resources produced around the map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Construction trains will now attempt to reverse at semaphores to reach otherwise unreachable track, if the signalling permits.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Construction trains will now attempt to reverse at semaphores to reach otherwise unreachable track, if the signalling permits.

Why is such a small thing making me so happy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say it has made my attempts at signalling impossible because I can in no way plan for trains reversing at any given point in the line.

I think you still really want to avoid having them need to do it, but they can if they have to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Do you not carry your excavators everywhere with flatbeds? I always put the heavy equipment in their own CO and put some open hull trucks in there and toggle them to only be delivered.

My point is that the dirt road maxes out at 30kph, while gravel does 60kph, so having to make a mental calculation on whether it makes sense, build time wise, to have a gravel road to distant construction sites.

Ironically, NOT building gravel roads actually makes it more reasonable to send the trundling heavy vehicles, since they'll be at or near max speed on the dirt roads anyway.

Mandoric posted:

- Trying to start small and be thrifty, and picking the smallest store available. The food/meat-only smallest store available. My first 100 or so citizens fled back to Mother Russia where at least they have pants.

Not having a clothes / electronics store is kind of a dumb move. It costs very little overall since the amount of clothing / electronics your people get is actually relatively small, and making it 9:1 clothes / electronics means you don't even have to spend a bunch on inventory.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Report for the community just dropped here.

quote:

But with additional use of customs houses an issue with customs houses throughput surfaced, which you would not encounter early game, as you would never send dozens of vehicles there and people are asking for non-blocking customs now.

We are not going to give you non-blocking customs through update now, because there are couple of problems with that, and we like the limited throughput of customs houses. We can agree that the large customs house is not functioning the best and we may address that in the future, but we want to prepare a better solution. There is some potential for customs, and we want to use that potential later. We all remember the times before Schengen was established in Europe and we had to wait often hours at border crossings. To develop a simulation of that requires extra time.

[later]

Now back to customs houses. From the test we know the large customs house has similar throughput to medium and it is quite a bit affected by loading speeds because faster loading resources favor the small customs over large because of shorter movement distance inside the building. There is no room in current models for small and medium customs to allow non-blocking movement, but there is some room for large customs houses. There is a mod in workshop which allows you to enable non-blocking movement for all customs houses, but we do not think it is appropriate for small and medium customs.

So apparently, only one truck being able to move in or out of the multi-lane customs house, even if all four trucks occupying the bays are loaded, is intentional and not going to be changed any time soon.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Not having a clothes / electronics store is kind of a dumb move. It costs very little overall since the amount of clothing / electronics your people get is actually relatively small, and making it 9:1 clothes / electronics means you don't even have to spend a bunch on inventory.

Very, yes! Just, wasn't even a "trying to cut every corner" mistake, it was coming back in after a couple months and jumping to the conclusion that since "goods only" is a tier 2 building "foodstuffs only" must also be a t2 and the single t1 must be "everything, but really tiny".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the general theme I got from the update is that customs houses are supposed to be slow, and TBH I do like that it encourages you to build your own logistics infrastructure. I'm actually setting up a delivery yard that can pull/push stuff to customs and to sea via trains but which can handle a lot more truck traffic by itself.

It is a bit daft that the large customs are actually slower than the small ones because it takes longer for the trucks to drive in/out of the bays though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I do very much agree with them WRT customs houses being slow, but they really do need to make customs houses faster. Even something like having a single direction in/out lane once a vehicle reaches the building (so that the vehicle exiting a station would cause another vehicle to start entering) or something.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I know it’s not something they would try to support because it’s entirely a mod situation, but blocked customs houses absolutely fucks early starts with trucks that have terrible capacity.

Maybe I’m missing a downside but it feels like what they aught to do is make S/M/L have different amounts of stopping points (which they already do), make them non-blocking, but make it take extra time to load. Add a period of “customs check” that is static for every truck arrival (if you want to split hairs, maybe longer for larger trucks) and even if they load 0.5 tons, that period requires they sit there at the customs house. Now large houses still are faster because they have more slots, but it still limits throughput.

I’m slightly bothered by their opinion of this not because of the mechanical implications but it’s one of the few things that, at their chosen layer of abstraction, feels really gamey and dumb. I agree with the general idea of what they’re trying to push, just find a better way to hide it to me instead of “lol one truck at a time.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there are better ways to do it I think. It is important now to make basically your own staging area near the border so you can use large trucks to fill it up and then use your own truck handling facilities to actually deal with all the myriad demands.

I think if I had realized just how terrible the crossings were I would have done this start different but I have still managed OK.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Honestly, I disagree with this. Limiting the amount of traffic at the customs house per lane encourages you to both develop your own industry, and to expand so that you can use other border crossings as well. At a certain point, you absolutely can't use border crossings as reliable sources of certain materials, just because they're not important enough. Lumber is cheap, but if you have to import it that's one level of limitation.

A lot of the resources just aren't that economical to produce locally until you get large, this kind of forces you to do it

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Honestly, I disagree with this. Limiting the amount of traffic at the customs house per lane encourages you to both develop your own industry, and to expand so that you can use other border crossings as well. At a certain point, you absolutely can't use border crossings as reliable sources of certain materials, just because they're not important enough. Lumber is cheap, but if you have to import it that's one level of limitation.

A lot of the resources just aren't that economical to produce locally until you get large, this kind of forces you to do it

This is fair vanilla but again, If you do an early start with poo poo vehicles it’s basically a showstopper to import poo poo via customs offices even at levels that are very “light” because the limiting factor could be much better designed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do agree that the limitation of border crossings is important yes, but it would be nice if at least there was a reason to favour the larger points over the small ones.

As I said I think I could probably do it better if I started again, but it is quite unintuitive how restrictive they are currently.

One thing I find myself wanting is cargo trams, it's super neat being able to run trams on both rails and streets, but it would also be neat if we could use them to carry resources. Would be very good for things where you only need small amounts of resources like an electronics plant but where the truck shipment sizes are also a bit too small.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 19, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really struggling to keep organized with the amount of DOs I need to run everything.

Like, you need some just to keep the city running, but then you also need backup ones so you can set fallback orders to keep warehouses stocked from the border in the event of a food production shortfall.

It's very inefficient having trucks just sitting there purely because I can't have fallback orders in the same DO. Like I want to say "supply the markets from domestic production but if you run out, buy from the border" but to do that you need to instead build two DOs and have them set to different fill levels with the border buy DO set to only kick in if the domestic supply DO cannot keep the warehouses full enough, because you can't give conditional orders on the same building in the same DO.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is fair vanilla but again, If you do an early start with poo poo vehicles it’s basically a showstopper to import poo poo via customs offices even at levels that are very “light” because the limiting factor could be much better designed.

Yeah, though at the point that you're doing an Early Start (which I'm guessing is pre-1960 and requires horse drawn vehicles) you're either using other mods buildings like "wee tiny village bakery" that allows you to actually jumpstart an economy on a resource budget, or you should just auto build out some resource depots at the very start and call it a dirigible landing supply drop subsidy or something. Ultimately the game kind of breaks down if you push it too far in some ways that you cannot offset in others.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Tangentially off of that, I think a "Siberia start" might be interesting. No general use of land customs posts, electricity connections, or inviting immigrants, but once every April:
- Allowed to purchase and sell up to the capacity of a Volgobalt or Volgodon.
- Allowed to autobuild buildings at +50% their resource cost in these calculations to account for space and supplies for the builders.
- Allowed to invite immigrants counting as 10 tons of steel each (that is, 4 cubic meters) in these calculations.
- Ports and your own ships remove the restrictions May-September, but only for sea trade.
- Airports remove the restrictions, but only for air trade.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 19, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Really struggling to keep organized with the amount of DOs I need to run everything.

Like, you need some just to keep the city running, but then you also need backup ones so you can set fallback orders to keep warehouses stocked from the border in the event of a food production shortfall.

It's very inefficient having trucks just sitting there purely because I can't have fallback orders in the same DO. Like I want to say "supply the markets from domestic production but if you run out, buy from the border" but to do that you need to instead build two DOs and have them set to different fill levels with the border buy DO set to only kick in if the domestic supply DO cannot keep the warehouses full enough, because you can't give conditional orders on the same building in the same DO.
Efficiency comes when your one or three Import DOs serve the entire regions multiple distribution centers.

You'll start needing to have a waterfall/tiered approach for max efficiency. Sources to distribution centers. DCs to consumers. Don't get too DO happy, DC to consumer is often just as efficient being a line.

DOs can really do anything but your brain will break before they do. Keep them near the source of their goods for sanity and don't feel the need to fill every source/destination slot because the trucks haven't moved for a while. Don't think "I've got capacity here, the DO will be built in a month, let me just patch cable this over in the mean time." That way lies madness and forgotten redundancy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mandoric posted:

Tangentially off of that, I think a "Siberia start" might be interesting. No general use of land customs posts, electricity connections, or inviting immigrants, but once every April:
- Allowed to purchase and sell up to the capacity of a Volgobalt or Volgodon.
- Allowed to autobuild buildings at +50% their resource cost in these calculations to account for space and supplies for the builders.
- Allowed to invite immigrants counting as 10 tons of steel each (that is, 4 cubic meters) in these calculations.
- Ports and your own ships remove the restrictions May-September, but only for sea trade.
- Airports remove the restrictions, but only for air trade.

For that matter, I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed that importing people doesn't happen in the same way as using foreign workforces, but I suppose that this would get a little too frustrating at times.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I know it goes against a lot of the game’s philosophy and would create just an insane host of potential problems but it would be neat if tourists in their own cars could come and sort of go about their business in your republic, even maybe pass through to NATO or vice versa.

This gets into a whole layer of things that the game isn’t trying to be but it’s just neat to think about I guess.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Im sure im missing something obvious, but how do I get the initial track builder into the railroad construction office on cosmonaut?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arven posted:

Im sure im missing something obvious, but how do I get the initial track builder into the railroad construction office on cosmonaut?

... Is there maybe a small one you can move by truck first so that you can build from the construction office to the border crossing? Because this feels like one heck of an oversight if not

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I figured it out! There is a category called "Disassembled" in the customs house. You can buy the AGMu there and transport it to your depot on a flatbed (it weighs 10 tons). It has a 1955 purchase date, so until mods adjust early starts are dead in the water for cosmonaut.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there's a couple of small track builders you can buy in a truckable form from the border, presumably it wouldn't be too hard for mods to add an earlier version if they wanted to.

There's also an early tram you can buy which can be trucked too, and I only bought four of them before they went out of production so now I need to wait until I hook the trams up to the rail line.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's been 15 long years and 6 million roubles over budget (had to cheat it in) but I managed to get a semi functional republic on cosmonaut.

Supply problems have been absolutely chronic, and I still have no idea where all the loving money goes as no matter how much I do to cut costs with domestic supply I still keep spending giant piles of cash.

I am hoping to use this as a jumping off point now I have some highways, the rail distribution yard mostly set up, all the COs staffed and domestic production on some things, to really sprint out into the middle of the map and set up a proper capital city and some actual industries (there are no resources actually near my starting area other than oil in the bottom left) and I'm hoping to actually plan it out properly rather than being a pile of stopgap measures just trying to make do.

If I were doing it again I would probably prioritize the distribution yard because the border stations really are an absolute nightmare bottleneck on basically everything. Especially as I am limited to basically tertiary industry, so I have to buy in a bunch of products to refine them into higher value ones. It might honestly be easier if I were to set up a purely export focused industry. Also I would ignore the bloody electronics plant because christ those things need infinite wagons of plastic to run, expanding the clothes factory would have been much better as even running on crop imports you need a lot less of them. Also the food factory because you spend a fortune on food and it also needs quite a lot of shipping.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 21, 2022

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Even in non cosmonaut runs I always prioritize food as the first industry as buying food is death by a thousand cuts otherwise. Farming requires no manpower, and a food factory at minimum staffing can easily feed you for years.

I just had to abandon my 6 year in cosmonaut run and am going to wait a bit to try again- I badly misjudged my heating situation which lead to a death spiral I was unable to recover from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I found out where the money goes, I'm paying 100k a month in loan repayments lmao. Really buggered myself only starting with a million roubles.