Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Huh, I was right. She definitely was going faster than 90.

And it's insane that she was driving at all given her history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

now that we know whether to cluck our tongues or shrug our shoulders the problem has been solved forevr; the roads are safe again

ladies and gentlemen, we got her

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Dumbass rams an oncoming truck head on, and rolls backwards into a parked car off camera (you can hear the impact)

i dont really understand how you can get a truck headon

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

i dont really understand how you can get a truck headon

It's a narrow pre-car street with parking on both sides and custom is for one side to yield when there's two way traffic, someone probably just got a bug up their rear end about how they weren't going to move out of the way.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's a narrow pre-car street with parking on both sides and custom is for one side to yield when there's two way traffic, someone probably just got a bug up their rear end about how they weren't going to move out of the way.

love all these cars parked on the sidewalk. terminally car-brained society

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

even without addressing our societal car addiction you could just pick one side of the street for parking and have enough space for all the cars pictured here, plus clear sidewalks for pedestrians. but if you think of pedestrians and wheelchair users and cyclists and people pushing strollers as inhuman bugs who deserve to be squashed, you'll just do what they're doing in the picture above instead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

And it's insane that she was driving at all given her history

um she was bipolar you ableist gently caress

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

um she was bipolar you ableist gently caress

whole lotta people here don't understand that for some people turning your car into a missile and killing six people is a form of therapy and it's very hosed up to suggest otherwise

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

whole lotta people here don't understand that for some people turning your car into a missile and killing six people is a form of therapy and it's very hosed up to suggest otherwise
this

we shouldn't stigmatize mental illness and self-help therapy.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1569853577140793349

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

umm what fi you have a pregnant wife that's bleeding out in the backseat and you gotta run take her to the emergency room going 130 in residental areas?? huh? ever think about that you simpleton? you don't know why someone might be in a hurry, don't judge

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

are they all parked on the street because their cars are too big for their garages or something

mystes
May 31, 2006

even without addressing our societal car addiction you could just pick one side of the street for parking and have enough space for all the cars pictured here, plus clear sidewalks for pedestrians. but if you think of pedestrians and wheelchair users and cyclists and people pushing strollers as inhuman bugs who deserve to be squashed, you'll just do what they're doing in the picture above instead
I mean it's funny because while obviously it's bad that the sidewalks are blocked, ignoring the sidewalks entirely, the actual street is probably actually safer than most streets built more recently in the US because the remaining room for cars to travel through is so narrow that (aside from very occasional idiots like in the video) cars going in both directions have no choice except to go slowand yield to each other, but unfortunately you can't just build a street that narrow and not allow cars to be parked on it at all in the US, which would be basically perfect.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm an emergency room doctor who regularly oversleeps and I need a car that goes 130 so I can get to work on time to heal people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

I'm an emergency room doctor who regularly oversleeps and I need a car that goes 130 so I can get to work on time to heal people.
Have you considered a helicopter? I guess that's not dangerous enough to other people though, so maybe you can get a missile launcher on it or something, idk

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nobody does anything about the guns so maybe thats not the best comparison

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

cowboy beepboop posted:

are they all parked on the street because their cars are too big for their garages or something

not sure if pittsburgh neighborhoods like this normally have alley access and off-street parking, maybe pfc knows... but where i live, half the time it's cars too big for garages and the other half it's families owning more cars than they have space to store off-street. i know a couple who own three cars, one of which barely works, but they keep it parked on the street because street parking is basically free ($35 a year in your neighborhood) and their other two cars take up half their backyard.

mystes posted:

I mean it's funny because while obviously it's bad that the sidewalks are blocked, ignoring the sidewalks entirely, the actual street is probably actually safer than most streets built more recently in the US because the remaining room for cars to travel through is so narrow that (aside from very occasional idiots like in the video) cars going in both directions have no choice except to go slowand yield to each other, but unfortunately you can't just build a street that narrow and not allow cars to be parked on it at all in the US, which would be basically perfect.

yeah tons of neighborhood streets in DC are like this too and the constant slowing down and negotiating each pass is definitely a plus for everyone who lives there. although as a cyclist it's annoying to be stuck behind two drivers who have failed to properly negotiate a pass, or maybe two drivers who are each driving SUVs trying to pass each other between two parked SUVs and suddenly there genuinely isn't enough street space for it all to work out... also for maybe 5% of drivers the frustration of having to be careful sometimes just means they gun it all the harder through stop signs... but the department of transportation says we cant build raised crosswalks because asphalt is too expensive or something

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

withak posted:

:hmmyes: and mulching a few toddlers on the way to work is good for business

Apr 7, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

Most of these houses were built before cars were common and don't have garages or driveways or alleys

Lots are 30' wide and most households have more than one car so there literally wouldn't be enough room for parking if that were done, so the cops just look the other way. Pedestrians are actually expected to just walk in the street, cool.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pedestrians are actually expected to just walk in the street, cool.

love it when pedestrians are expected to walk in the street but no other precautions have been taken to make it safe. "here, walk next to this guy driving a 10k lb lifted pickup. if he kills you we'll say you were jaywalking. good luck out there"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

God drat Houston drivers are inflicting their idiot violence on other states too.

Apr 7, 2003

love it when pedestrians are expected to walk in the street but no other precautions have been taken to make it safe. "here, walk next to this guy driving a 10k lb lifted pickup. if he kills you we'll say you were jaywalking. good luck out there"

At least there's on-street tram service so you can just walk a block up the street and hop on the T, that kinda makes up for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

lobster shirt posted:

many people think fiat stands for fix it again tony but it actually stands for fabbrica italiana automobili di torino. sorry to be the nbearer of bad news.
I don't buy domestic cars because FORD stands for gently caress it ORDInary, Tony, and I'm a kinky bitch

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

At least there's on-street tram service so you can just walk a block up the street and hop on the T, that kinda makes up for it.

drat i could go for a tram right about now

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

incredibly stupid to not have parking on one side of the street and nobody on the sidewalk

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Cars? I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Drivers get very pissy if there are bikes parked where they want to leave their car

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

parked my bike in the car lane and some asshat got pissed at me. Hello? I'm riding here, gently caress off. loving drivers I hate em all

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

parked my bike in the car lane and some asshat got pissed at me. Hello? I'm riding here, gently caress off. loving drivers I hate em all

“i'll just be a minute”

larper
Apr 9, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

many people think fiat stands for fix it again tony but it actually stands for fabbrica italiana automobili di torino. sorry to be the nbearer of bad news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJCdmW33fM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We aren’t getting the end of cars but the end of car dealerships isn’t bad

https://twitter.com/guydealership/status/1570062956364468224?s=46&t=QV_wSA1BwEGWYozMnx0iuQ

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dealerships are a huge waste of space. Good riddance.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
A local business collective just took the city to court over the removal of 150 parking spaces, and thought it would be a good idea to use an economist as their expert witness on traffic and road safety design

They lost lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

A local business collective just took the city to court over the removal of 150 parking spaces, and thought it would be a good idea to use an economist as their expert witness on traffic and road safety design

They lost lmao
Nice

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Dealerships are a huge waste of space. Good riddance.

Kind of an absurd middleman in retrospect. A dinosaur from the pre-Internet days

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've heard someone defend car dealerships by pointing out all the local charity work some of them do, somehow missing that the money they're giving away was cheated out of the community in the process of selling everyone in it an insane cancer spewing death machine

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

I could have sworn this tweet was made weeks ago but no I confused it with the actually sincere “walkable cities are ableist” post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fat people can ride those little wall e scooters in cities