Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think you can use that 5 year gap as an easy way to do a lot of the things you want with the mutants as their ordeal or journeys starting over a period of time where everything was insane anyway. So it kind of splits the difference between people who want an origin and people who want it all just preexisting. You’ve got almost a decade of story to work with.

I also have a theory that we’re gonna have an Infinity Watch storyline where it turns out the stones just kind of linked their energy to people. Wanda with the Reality Stone, Vision with the Mind Stone, and maybe Carol with the Space Stone and Kamala with the Power Stone. That could explain why Carol and Kamala are linked as well as Wanda and Vision’s link and life beyond death. Then you bring Adam Warlock in as like the Soul Stone trying to reconstitute and protect them and someone like Loki or Strange with the Time Stone. And boom. Infinity Watch and the return of the Stones.

That’s just another baseless theory though. If I’m onto something we’ll probably get a hint in the Marvels and Guardians 3. But if it happens I think it could be where you explain the mutant wave thing as basically a consequence of the stones energy being loose. But I also think separate from that you have mutants popping up and various people growing concerned and having theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The explanation should just be a rant from some stressed out scientist saying magic exists, aliens exist, fusion exists, we've got a robot powered by a magic rock or something. But sure, we've got a bunch of other weirdos running around now too. Kinda hard to choose research priorities here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There were mutants way before the X-Men in the comics too, but it was implied that nuclear radiation and all that caused the explosion of them in the population. Children of the Atom and all that.

So you could easily say the stones being destroyed caused a similar thing in the MCU while saying mutants were much more rare beforehand, but did exist to explain Magneto and Xavier and Apocalypse and everyone else.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The two directors of Ms. Marvel said nobody in her family got snapped and they had all been together during the blip.

There's nothing in the show that really goes one way or the other, but it would be kind of weird if some people in her family were 5 years older and never mentioned it.

It'd be hilarious if they addressed this in the next season by having the IlluminAunties gossiping about who in their community got snapped vs. who were just pretending to have gotten snapped.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So this obviously isn't 100% but the mobile game Marvel Strike Force seems to have leaked that Elsa Blood stone is indeed in Werewolf by Night

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The official released synopsis from Marvel pretty much already confirms that character is involved. Spoilered for those who want to avoid it:

"On a dark and somber night, a secret cabal of monster hunters emerge from the shadows and gather at the foreboding Bloodstone Temple following the death of their leader," the synopsis reads. "In a strange and macabre memorial to the leader's life, the attendees are thrust into a mysterious and deadly competition for a powerful relic—a hunt that will ultimately bring them face to face with a dangerous monster."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

You know what that means.

By god… that’s Nextwave’s music!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if it isn't r rated due solely to her constant swearing what the ☠️☠️☠️☠️ is even the point

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Curse words aren’t cool guys

this message brought to you by the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If some guy gets his face ripped off only to reveal he's Machine Man I'll lose it, I will. lose. It!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The less Warren Ellis the better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm currently doing a Thor-A-Thon for my first watch of Love and Thunder. Basically the Thor movies, the Avengers movies, and the Guardians of the Galaxy in order. This is one of my favorite things about the MCU. As much as the critics say you have to watch everything to follow along I disagree. It feels much more like the comics where you're always encouraged to read more and if you were to try and read everything it would be massive but you can pick branches and it will make sense. So every time I do one of these marathons for a new movie or show it always kind of changes up.

I'm actually really surprised how well Guardians and Thor match up. I guess its not surprising in hindsight but the move from the Asgard space stuff in Dark World to Guardians feels a lot more organic and like just a further exploration into the weirdness of the stars. And with the Avengers movies I've basically got a slimmed down but complete Infinity Saga with all the stones covered and every Thanos plot point covered. And of course Gunn and Waititi's sensibilities mesh pretty well. Its fun.

I think that kind of thinking has me in this "Infinity Watch" theory or all my other thinking of how to build up stories or new elements organically from the MCU world. They feel more fun to me that me. Vs like Titans which I just started that like throws you into a world with a dozen characters. I'm familiar with them and all but it feels very different irregardless of quality. so like for Infinity Watch its not just that it strikes me that Wanda, Vision, Carol, and maybe Kamala seem to have links to the Infinity Stones with specific color schemes but also the way that like Guardians, Eternals, and Marvels could all connect as cosmic stuff. With Adam Warlock showing up and two of the comic Infinity Watch members on the Guardians and the Guardians trilogy ending and another Infinity Watch member showing up in Eternals with Starfox who is the brother of Thanos who was another Watch member who is also of course the dad of Gamora who is one of those aforementioned Watch members... I dunno. Its just got my mind racing with complicated possibilities and theories as you can see.

So my current theory is that in The Marvels we'll get a Infinity Stone line between Carol and Kamala and then in Guardians 3 we'll get Warlock recruiting the Guardians to help him collect the stones. Then we'll get a Phase 6 entry that the stones are kind of loose and causing problems so Warlock needs to collect them. And maybe even we'll get something like a Thanos with the time stone. And that will kind of bring these branches together and by the end Warlock and a collection of Guardians/Eternals/whatever will be the new Infinity Watch.

I dunno. Some mind racing theories as I'm sick and barely able to get out of bed and my mind is maybe a little delirous.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think that kind of thinking has me in this "Infinity Watch" theory or all my other thinking of how to build up stories or new elements organically from the MCU world. They feel more fun to me that me. Vs like Titans which I just started that like throws you into a world with a dozen characters. I'm familiar with them and all but it feels very different irregardless of quality. so like for Infinity Watch its not just that it strikes me that Wanda, Vision, Carol, and maybe Kamala seem to have links to the Infinity Stones with specific color schemes but also the way that like Guardians, Eternals, and Marvels could all connect as cosmic stuff. With Adam Warlock showing up and two of the comic Infinity Watch members on the Guardians and the Guardians trilogy ending and another Infinity Watch member showing up in Eternals with Starfox who is the brother of Thanos who was another Watch member who is also of course the dad of Gamora who is one of those aforementioned Watch members... I dunno. Its just got my mind racing with complicated possibilities and theories as you can see.

So my current theory is that in The Marvels we'll get a Infinity Stone line between Carol and Kamala and then in Guardians 3 we'll get Warlock recruiting the Guardians to help him collect the stones. Then we'll get a Phase 6 entry that the stones are kind of loose and causing problems so Warlock needs to collect them. And maybe even we'll get something like a Thanos with the time stone. And that will kind of bring these branches together and by the end Warlock and a collection of Guardians/Eternals/whatever will be the new Infinity Watch.

I dunno. Some mind racing theories as I'm sick and barely able to get out of bed and my mind is maybe a little delirous.

I think there are enough threads that if they wanted to do something with the Infinity Stones again, they could, but given we know this will all lead somehow to Kang and Secret Wars, I'm not sure that's the direction they are headed in. But I've never been very good at guessing these things this far out. I remember assuming before Ragnarok that Hela would be used as the Death analogue in a more direct adaptation of the comics Infinity story, and that was hilariously wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would imagine that they aren’t going to dip back into the Infinity Stones well this soon

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

There were mutants way before the X-Men in the comics too, but it was implied that nuclear radiation and all that caused the explosion of them in the population. Children of the Atom and all that.
IiRC all the original XMen had some kind of "Dad worked in an Atomics plant" / "grandfather cleaned up Hiroshima" type of thing where it was explicitly radiation that caused their strange powers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Stones are explicitly destroyed and will remain that way until the plot wants them back. That said, I always like the retcon from She-Hulk that the Stones are eternal and, in case of destruction, will eventually naturally reform and seek out whoever they feel best exemplifies their aspect.

It'd make a neat stinger way down the line if Professor X wakes up one morning to find the Mind Stone on his bedtable or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FilthyImp posted:

IiRC all the original XMen had some kind of "Dad worked in an Atomics plant" / "grandfather cleaned up Hiroshima" type of thing where it was explicitly radiation that caused their strange powers.

Bring back the radioactive cum origin

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Joe Fisto posted:

I will only be calling it Hot D from now on.

Thats what GRUM calls it.

And i've said from the start, any X-men in the MCU should focus more on the younger mutants more than anything else. Wolverine, Storm, Scott, Jean and the rest should be supporting characters.

site posted:

if it isn't r rated due solely to her constant swearing what the ☠️☠️☠️☠️ is even the point

I imagine the sound of being censored like that is the metalocapypse guitar riff.

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/1570118497665159168

Wholesome content.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

So you could easily say the stones being destroyed caused a similar thing in the MCU while saying mutants were much more rare beforehand, but did exist to explain Magneto and Xavier and Apocalypse and everyone else.

The thing I have trouble reconciling with things like this, is that Xavier and Magneto are supposed to be actively seeking out mutants to radicalize to one side or another. Magneto is a terrorist who wants to destroy humanity, so he, what, just sat around for 80 years with a thumb up his rear end?

That's why I think a combination of mutants recently appearing in the MCU, and an incursion which brings in another universe where mutants have been active seems like a somewhat better implementation, if you want to insist on having certain characters rooted to their origins.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We don’t need a mass influx of mutants all at once because we’re not racing to anything. To me this stuff represents a holdover of the non MCU approach to comic films where they they were always trying to squeeze as much as possible into a movie. It took them ten years to do the Infinity Saga story. They’ve laid a what 5-6 year plan for the Kang/Multiverse story? They’re ok with telling a story over time.

So it feels like everyone wants to rush right to a giant X-Men vs Brotherhood fight or something. Or Krakoa. Or whatever. But to me the more natural course for Marvel and the one that interests me more is lots of small stories that build to something big. And the incursion theory to me feels rushed and built more in that comic book fans desire to see stuff on screen vs the focus of building up interest with a broad audience.

Even like my Infinity Watch story is something I envision to me relatively small. It could be a big crossover of like the Guardians, Eternals, Marvels, and some others but it wouldn’t be Infinity War. It would be a story that would end with Warlocks Infinity Watch heading back into space until their next adventure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think anyone is trying to "race" so much as they're trying to square the circle of a universe that apparently has next to no mutants now but then having enough globally to represent an actual shift in the evolution of our species or enough that people like Xavier and Magneto make sense. It seems like there needs to be some mass reveal or some huge event that increases the number of mutants quickly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

The Stones are explicitly destroyed and will remain that way until the plot wants them back. That said, I always like the retcon from She-Hulk that the Stones are eternal and, in case of destruction, will eventually naturally reform and seek out whoever they feel best exemplifies their aspect.

Where did they mention this on the show?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Shageletic posted:

Where did they mention this on the show?
Should've been more specific, sorry. It's from the Dan Slott run on the She-Hulk comic.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

We don’t need a mass influx of mutants all at once because we’re not racing to anything. To me this stuff represents a holdover of the non MCU approach to comic films where they they were always trying to squeeze as much as possible into a movie. It took them ten years to do the Infinity Saga story. They’ve laid a what 5-6 year plan for the Kang/Multiverse story? They’re ok with telling a story over time.

So it feels like everyone wants to rush right to a giant X-Men vs Brotherhood fight or something. Or Krakoa. Or whatever. But to me the more natural course for Marvel and the one that interests me more is lots of small stories that build to something big. And the incursion theory to me feels rushed and built more in that comic book fans desire to see stuff on screen vs the focus of building up interest with a broad audience.

Even like my Infinity Watch story is something I envision to me relatively small. It could be a big crossover of like the Guardians, Eternals, Marvels, and some others but it wouldn’t be Infinity War. It would be a story that would end with Warlocks Infinity Watch heading back into space until their next adventure.

The thing is we're not expecting Marvel to sit on the X-Men for too long, and when they pull that trigger, they're not gonna do too slow of a build and not use all those recognizable, marketable characters at their disposal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there’s a practical difference between mutants and X-Men. So you establish the former first and then do the latter. But even once you introduce the X-Men in Phase 6 or 7 you don’t have to jump right into massive wars for the sake of thousands of mutants. There’s a lot of stories you can tell.

But there’s too many X Men who are marketable to just throw them out there all at once. Marvels generally avoided doing that so I’d be surprised if they suddenly started making Fox X-Men movies. They know their brand is strong enough that they’ll have time to roll out the characters in the most profitable way.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Jamesman posted:

The thing I have trouble reconciling with things like this, is that Xavier and Magneto are supposed to be actively seeking out mutants to radicalize to one side or another. Magneto is a terrorist who wants to destroy humanity, so he, what, just sat around for 80 years with a thumb up his rear end?

There's a lot of ways to explain what Magneto's been up to before going full radicalization, though it's hard to speculate too much without knowing how they handle his origin. Maybe he's been frozen away in a Hydra bunker since WW2. Maybe he's been around, but because he's only met a few other mutants, like Xavier, he's been focused on covertly fighting fascism in general. Either way, a sudden and public explosion in the mutant population would explain why both Xavier and Magneto are suddenly motivated to act, though tragically at cross purposes despite their previous friendship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The largest problem with slow burns is that human beings age in real time. You have a relatively limited window you can use actors (though they seem to be expanding that) and you presumably want to have at least some of them around for years.

Of course by 2030 we'll have Deepfake versions of every actor so maybe it won't be an issue

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The largest problem with slow burns is that human beings age in real time. You have a relatively limited window you can use actors (though they seem to be expanding that) and you presumably want to have at least some of them around for years.

Of course by 2030 we'll have Deepfake versions of every actor so maybe it won't be an issue

I hate the future

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

MacheteZombie posted:

I hate the future

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I hate the future

You hate the future but we have enough of your posts to create a simulated MacheteZombie who loves it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
To expand on my idea for X-men, you have mutants showing up through history, but maybe one every hundred years or so. Either they are Apocalypse level who are so powerful they fall into legend, or they're not as they tend to die either in the cradle because they're weird and freaky looking, or otherwise just vanish into myth and legend. The number of folklore about women giving birth to demons and that would easily explained by them being nightcrawler or beak like mutants. I am pretty sure the comics used that too.

The X-men exist, but are a small group, Xavier runs his mansion and has a team of some sort, which would probably be your classic X-men, either from the Kirby run or Giant Sized. This team has been operating in secret for a bit, combination of Xaviers abilities and Fury having them in a second, secret back pocket so he's kept them off the grid. I'm sorry, there is no way Wolverine is not going to be in an X-men MCU thing, but he should be more of a mentor role. Suddenly a whole bunch of teens start getting mutant powers, and that is your starting point. Maybe its the infinity stones, maybe it was when Kamala put on the bangle and that did something that awakened more than just her powers?

Anyways, Pitch for the movie itself is kids with mutant powers are showing up, as Xavier is sending Wolverine out to find them and bring them to the mansion, but when he gets to the first location, he finds the kid gone and signs of something bad happening. He keeps finding this, and quickly realizes someone is kidnapping the new mutants (not to be confused with The New Mutants). He gets in contact with Emma Frost who is doing a similar thing, but for rich kids who their families want to keep under wraps that they're mutants, and they've been taken too. They find the few mutant adults that are around, we could bring in Deadpools Domino, ATJ Illyana and the other New Mutants, and they go find the mutant kids and it turns out they've been captured by Mr Sinister who wants to do Mr Sinister stuff to them.

That's the elevator pitch, you can add a stinger at the end that the other X-men aren't dead, but they're being held prisoner by the Shi'iar and you can do the story with D'ken and the M'kran crystal.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You hate the future but we have enough of your posts to create a simulated MacheteZombie who loves it.

Looking forward to battling my simulacrum to the death

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

And i've said from the start, any X-men in the MCU should focus more on the younger mutants more than anything else. Wolverine, Storm, Scott, Jean and the rest should be supporting characters.

The thing about this is that Fox really shortchanged everyone but Wolverine and Jean. Cyclops was a chump and Storm didn't get her own storyline till Apocalypse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but we don’t even have anyone cast yet. That’s another benefit to slow playing the introduction of characters. You don’t have to juggle as many aging and expensive actors until you’re ready for them. Imagine X Men movies without characters disappearing or suddenly changing or being written out because the actor got sick of the role or didn’t think they were getting good material.

You need a plan and you need to decide who your core to build around is. Then you worry about contracts and aging in casting. It’s part of why I’m a fan of establishing the world first and THEN casting Xavier and the names. I think it’s better story but it also means they can approach this as a story instead of how many toys they want to sell and then juggling all of them.

You do some story where there’s 20 key characters not only do you risk an Eternals type mess but you new have 20 age and contract clocks you gotta tell stories with not on your schedule.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just really don't want the xmen introduced as yet another super secret society/group that's been apart of the mcu all along. It's lazy and they've used it multiple times already.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're also going to make a joke about how dumb everyone's names are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I mean so did the last set of X-Men movies to be fair.

Yellow spandex.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MacheteZombie posted:

I just really don't want the xmen introduced as yet another super secret society/group that's been apart of the mcu all along. It's lazy and they've used it multiple times already.

That’s another thing. If you do something like that then you’re basically saying “here’s another Eternals”. You can do something wholly unique with mutants and X-Men. Build the X-Men up as a response to a bigger story. The other stuff just feels like rehashes of either X-Men or MCU.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Not only have they played that card numerous times but it wouldn't really fly with the X-Men. The Sorcerers are an ancient society that deal with alternate dimensions and the Eternals are retired alien robot angels so they both have reasons to stay out of sight. The X-Men are just "enhanced individuals" and those are becoming a dime a dozen in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Honestly I think they go in the opposite direction:

"And you must be Scott Summers."
"That was my birthname - my real name is Cyclops, please."