Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LLSix posted:

Any tips on where to dig down to try to find it? Or even how deep to look? The area is pretty hilly (un-annotated screenshot). The red map-marker is just fire clay, not a cave.

You've got access to the 2nd prospecting pick setting, yes? Node search is your friend here.

If you don't, turn it on if you didn't activate it at game start with /worldConfig propickNodeSearchRadius [0-12]

I usually go with 6 as the radius.

What I do is....
- Have ~100 ladders, about a dozen torches
- Pick a random spot within the ultrahigh area, dig straight down while plopping down a ladder in my 1x1 shaft, and every ~10 blocks, do a prospecting pick node search. Not density search, node search only takes 1 block.
- If I don't get a cassiterite hit, I dig another 10 down and repeat.
- If I do get a cassiterite hit - or any other ore I'm looking for - I...

Mine 5 in the + or - x or z direction, then do the last block as a prospecting pick node search. If I get the same value hit for amount of blocks (trace vs small vs huge etc) then that's the direction I dig in. If not, I turn a different direction (not down) and do the same. I'm only doing a 1x1 prospecting hole to decrease drifter spawning chances.

Then, once I'm in the new direction, I then go up 5 and down 5 blocks (with more ladders) prospecting node search at the end of each. Once I decide I'm in the area, I make a stair step pattern to cover area in the cube I've narrowed down as the location of the ore I've been finding.

And if I don't see any ore I want in that shaft, I move ~10 blocks over (you could do exactly 12 if you want, it's based on the radius you pick) and make a new 1x1 shaft down, laddering it up along the way.

As you're holding on to the ladder, if you happen into a cave you won't just fall in. You can escape quickly upward if Bad Things come for you.

Each ore type has some specifics on where in the y axis it can spawn, seen here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Ore_Deposits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HelloSailorSign posted:

Each ore type has some specifics on where in the y axis it can spawn, seen here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Ore_Deposits

Thanks. If I'm reading that chart right, cassiterite only gets Ultra High (bountiful) in granite. The surface stone here is basalt, so I should mine down until I hit granite before starting to use the propick in node search mode?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LLSix posted:

Thanks. If I'm reading that chart right, cassiterite only gets Ultra High (bountiful) in granite. The surface stone here is basalt, so I should mine down until I hit granite before starting to use the propick in node search mode?

I would, yes.

However the propick reading is only the world generation chance that there will be ore of that type in that given chunk. An ultrahigh reading doesn't mean you're guaranteed to find bountiful ore blocks, it may in fact have rolled with no ore at all despite the ultra high reading.

Still, I would mine down into the granite before starting my branch mining.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 11, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
:stare:

Well I guess I won't need to worry about copper for a while...or ever.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arrath posted:

I would, yes.

However the propick reading is only the world generation chance that there will be ore of that type in that given chunk. An ultrahigh reading doesn't mean you're guaranteed to find bountiful ore blocks, it may in fact have rolled with no ore at all despite the ultra high reading.

Still, I would mine down into the granite before starting my branch mining.

That’s propick density search scanning the chunk creation numbers. Propick node search scans the actual blocks in the radius it’s told.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

HelloSailorSign posted:

- Have ~100 ladders, about a dozen torches

As you're holding on to the ladder, if you happen into a cave you won't just fall in. You can escape quickly upward if Bad Things come for you.

This; but build rope ladders if you can, because you can pull them all up after you from the top, if your mine doesn’t hit pay dirt

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Helve Hammer Extensions updated and appears to be fully 1.17 compatible now :toot:

Gonna take advantage of this to hammer out some chain sheets and arrowheads.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I found 2 unconnected tiny tin disks in that center square. ~500 tin units all told, or enough for 50 bronze pickaxes. I was initially disappointed by how little tin I was finding, because I hadn't realized how many tools that would make until I wrote it out just now. I guess I'm good on tin for a while. I'm still getting propick node readings of "very small" amounts of tin around the edges of the disks I dug out, so I'm guessing there's another disc down there, but I guess I don't need to look for it right now.

I used vanilla ladders since I didn't realize that I could make rope from cattails, so I didn't realize I had a source of rope until after I'd made a couple stacks of ladders. Oh well.

I have pet bears now!

Also pictured, what used to be my pet goats :smith: I'd left a pit behind to passively trap goats for when I wanted to try to domesticate some. And because they're kind of cute. Unfortunately/awesomely, both a black and brown bear also thought they were cute. Too cute not to eat.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 12, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Has anyone here played Force of Nature 2? I've had it on my wishlist a while debating it at sales but I'm a little concerned about reviews on the grindiness and the dullness of the ARPG but not sure what that's in context of.

Should I just get V Rising and figure out single player world settings if I want an ARPG survival type game?

Also I was half debating checking out Minecraft survival mode for the first time in a decade and see this Vintage Story thing that is pushing a ton of my buttons so I am probably just going to end up with that.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Any good suggestions on Vintage Story re: finding the ‘perfect’ spot for home base?

This is the nth time I’ve spent a significant amount of effort trying to get a good scenic overlook with decent resources nearby, finding a perfect spot only to be foiled by my gear spinning rapidly counterclockwise. It feels almost like my ideal terrain is associated with insanity. The only perfect location I’ve seen is Kurazarrh’s seed, which feels like he spent a significant amount of time finding a confluence of plains, overlook, woods, limestone, terra preta, meteors, rain, etc.

I’ve tried running around looking for features, as well as teleporting all over the place on various seeds. I’ve lately just warped around in 500-2000 block jumps looking for sedimentary rocks + a map with nice plains on it, and further south where I prefer. The latest I found was just *perfect* when I was foiled by instability again.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

With how big worlds actually are, I just tried to get past my urge of, “get plants into the ground also lots of bees” and ran nomadic for a long time. If I did that again what I’d change is getting enough copper to make a prospecting pick or two, as I could have managed to settle in an awful ore area but lucked out my current spot is actually decent.

Then, the further south I went, the more time I had to prepare for winter… whatever that means in my area.

My thought behind it was, “I always play colder temperate forest, I want to be able to jungle explore but I also want a chalk/limestone biome.” Not knowing the previous hint to fine limestone - use prospecting pick to look for limestone specific ores - I was looking only at edges of cliffs and at surface sand.

Then, I’d situate myself at the edge of the limestone, thinking that being at the edge of limestone and, say, granite, means I’ve got a higher chance of finding a variety of ore types.

Once I got to where sunflowers and amaranth were part of the wild flora I went on zig zags to find a biome and eventually did.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zedprime posted:

Has anyone here played Force of Nature 2? I've had it on my wishlist a while debating it at sales but I'm a little concerned about reviews on the grindiness and the dullness of the ARPG but not sure what that's in context of.

Should I just get V Rising and figure out single player world settings if I want an ARPG survival type game?

Also I was half debating checking out Minecraft survival mode for the first time in a decade and see this Vintage Story thing that is pushing a ton of my buttons so I am probably just going to end up with that.

V Rising felt really fun for about 8 hours and then wow the novelty really wore off. Check out the thread because this seems to be a recurring theme. A lot of excitement about it initially and then the thread went quiet :shrug:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003177

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I’ve been playing Cataclysm: Bright Nights and the amount of poo poo I can craft is starting to get overwhelming. I’m starting to look for guns but am sort of interested in the pipe guns. Are they worth it to take out some tougher enemies. I’ve been using a ironshod quarterstaff and repeating crossbow for my weapons so far. CDDA had a bit to much realism for me as a total newb and this is at least letting me play and work on car some and stuff.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've never really bothered with the pipe guns, you can find enough pistols and shotguns dropped by zombies/lying around in houses that you never really need to go for the interstitial measure. It's rare that you'll have an excess of ammo and no guns to use it with unless you've robbed a gun store, and in that case you definitely have guns. And yes, you'll want to work up to guns for tougher enemies eventually.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I found a rooster in Vintage Story. The only one in my area (there are others, but they're on the other side of forests and I don't think I can chase one through there). A temporal storm hit before I could chase it home so I boxed it up then died in the storm. It had despawned before I got back. I guess because of darkness? Will more spawn over time or am I just out of luck?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

So I found a rooster in Vintage Story. The only one in my area (there are others, but they're on the other side of forests and I don't think I can chase one through there). A temporal storm hit before I could chase it home so I boxed it up then died in the storm. It had despawned before I got back. I guess because of darkness? Will more spawn over time or am I just out of luck?

Animals respawn over time, and they supposedly can despawn in complete darkness.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Virigoth posted:

I’ve been playing Cataclysm: Bright Nights and the amount of poo poo I can craft is starting to get overwhelming. I’m starting to look for guns but am sort of interested in the pipe guns. Are they worth it to take out some tougher enemies. I’ve been using a ironshod quarterstaff and repeating crossbow for my weapons so far. CDDA had a bit to much realism for me as a total newb and this is at least letting me play and work on car some and stuff.

Come hang out in

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

zedprime posted:

It took me a couple of tries to get Vintage Story to click but I'm really glad I did. It's an amazing survival experience and can be really chill as well. I'd definitely give that a go over V Rising where the survival mechanics are kinda secondary to the combat IMO (still a great game though).

Goreld posted:

Any good suggestions on Vintage Story re: finding the ‘perfect’ spot for home base?

I pretty much gave up trying to find a perfect spot after the tenth world I made. I ended up just running directly south and settling in the first spot I found that had that lovely deep green grass colour and called it a day. I've no idea how screwed I am regarding natural resources but since I turned the climate distance down to 25k, I'm hoping it won't take too much travel to find what I need, and at least my little farm looks nice!

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 12, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there any way, in VS, to turn down the size of stone deposits? It would be cool if moving from the shale area to the granite area or whatever else didn't take like 15 minutes of walking. These stone regions are just way too big to be reasonably navigated between.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Vib Rib posted:

Is there any way, in VS, to turn down the size of stone deposits? It would be cool if moving from the shale area to the granite area or whatever else didn't take like 15 minutes of walking. These stone regions are just way too big to be reasonably navigated between.

Not from what I've found. I turned down the size of anything that sounded like it might do the job to its minimum, world size included, and tried running out to the world edge. Entire world was 1-2 surface rock types.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

HelloSailorSign posted:

Animals respawn over time, and they supposedly can despawn in complete darkness.

Cool. I have two hens I just need the rooster. Chasing then through scrub land to get them home was an adventure :v: Hopefully I can find a rooster in some clear land.

Thanks.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
If you're looking for resources that you're unlikely to find in your general area (be they rock types, crops, ores or whatever) you might be better off hunting for translocators. They're not hard to find if you go caving often, and you might even spot a few at practically surface level.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

SexyBlindfold posted:

If you're looking for resources that you're unlikely to find in your general area (be they rock types, crops, ores or whatever) you might be better off hunting for translocators. They're not hard to find if you go caving often, and you might even spot a few at practically surface level.

This will be how I intend to find bauxite. I finally put together a full set of Blackguard armor after numerous trips to the local Treasure Hunter trader, and so now I feel more comfortable delving deep in the caves.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In Vintage Story I am enthusiastically blocked by my inability to find clay instead of frustrated yet because it means the geology is working. Simulataneously dismayed and delighted as I've only ever lived places where you can't help but dig out clay from any hole you make.

Clay is soil in the VS geology sandwich model right? Could I ever find it below dirt?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Found my first Translocator. No bauxite but the paired Translocator is located in a cave with an exposed salt dome. I'll take it!

e: Bauxite and Olivine in the same spot below a Chert layer. It's Christmas :allears:

zedprime posted:

In Vintage Story I am enthusiastically blocked by my inability to find clay instead of frustrated yet because it means the geology is working. Simulataneously dismayed and delighted as I've only ever lived places where you can't help but dig out clay from any hole you make.

Clay is soil in the VS geology sandwich model right? Could I ever find it below dirt?

It always spawns at the very top surface layer where there's dirt. I don't think I've ever seen it covered up by another layer.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 12, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Conan is making me weep with happiness, it's such a pleasant experience once you get a little bit of headway

it's been a long time since I had a game hook me so hard I'm doing multiple all nighters in a week because I don't want to stop playing :sludgepal:

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

zedprime posted:

I used to have trouble finding clay, and could not spot it on a map. However, once I started looking in flat plains with few trees, the clay sticks out on the map (and peat more so). So try to find a relatively flat large area and look for discolored spots about 12-20 blocks wide.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah clay's always exposed (you'll maybe find a couple of blocks wedged under dirt, but always as part of an otherwise surface deposit) and should be noticeable from looking at the map, unless it's winter and it snows. If you have a good enough eye you might even tell grey clay from fire clay by looking at the map, otherwise good luck mistaking peat for clay like I do!!!!!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Can anyone give me tips on how to make nicer bases in Conan? I’m really bad at design and always seem to end up doing big square boxes that don’t blend into the landscape.

I want to make a nice little town full of thralls friends.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Can anyone give me tips on how to make nicer bases in Conan? I’m really bad at design and always seem to end up doing big square boxes that don’t blend into the landscape.

The Conan thread can definitely help with that!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921092&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Abuse triangle pieces and challenge yourself to build in an inconvenient place. Our first base was a pretty standard house. Our second base was a split-level that gave us an easy way up a canyon wall. Our third base was stretched between two giant rock spires with elevators and sentry rings manned by archer thralls.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Also playing with the 'less building restrictions' mod is absolutely mandatory imho, let's you stack walls/foundations/doorframes/fences in new and inventive ways. We just got a fresh goonserver for Exiled Lands and it's got it on and I'm happy as a pig in poo poo making pretty bases already.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 14, 2022

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

zedprime posted:

I love both the Force of Nature games. They push all the right buttons for me. It is definitely grindy/samey at parts but I put 35 hours into the first one and 20 in the second one.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Managed to get a rooster, a ram, and a ewe. Unfortunately I underestimated how much they eat. I had 4 stacks of flax seed and they're burning through it. I may have to let the sheep go.

Chasing the rooster was hilarious. Running after it until it disappeared in the bushes then holding very still until I heard a cluck and dashing off after it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Your animals don't *need* to eat, though. They only need food in order to reproduce (Minecraft rules, I guess, though they don't instantly pop out little critters like they do in MC). In the case of chickens, hens need food to produce eggs, and the eggs require a fed rooster to become fertilized.
Your animals will lose weight during winter, which will lower their drops on death, but that's fixed by keeping males and females together in the pen, not by feeding them.

I wouldn't necessarily be against the game requiring you to keep your livestock fed in future updates, but it would make it practically impossible to raise animals in multiplayer.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

SexyBlindfold posted:

Your animals don't *need* to eat, though. They only need food in order to reproduce (Minecraft rules, I guess, though they don't instantly pop out little critters like they do in MC). In the case of chickens, hens need food to produce eggs, and the eggs require a fed rooster to become fertilized.
Your animals will lose weight during winter, which will lower their drops on death, but that's fixed by keeping males and females together in the pen, not by feeding them.

I wouldn't necessarily be against the game requiring you to keep your livestock fed in future updates, but it would make it practically impossible to raise animals in multiplayer.

Oh I thought they'd starve. That makes things way simpler.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The other thing is that breeding them is important to get them domesticated so they stop attacking you and poo poo and can be instakilled with the cleaver.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Yeah, when it's butcherin' time always go for the ones with the lowest generation count.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Accidentally blowing my food stores on making a gently caress pit for sheep

What a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Accidentally blowing my food stores on making a gently caress pit for sheep

What a game

The other thing is sheep just eat grass and hay my dude. It's free grows on the ground and poo poo. Chickens eat grains for sure, but you should never run out of food feeding sheep.