Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Anno posted:

Yeah I’ve heard the pacing is pretty glacial. But I love these kinds of games so I’m gonna give it a shot, even with TO right around the corner as well. That one I’ve beat 50 times so it can wait a bit.

TS "feels" more like TO than say, FFT but I had two complaints against it that made me bounce off of it.
1) The story is a gauntlet of stomach punches (to me at least; other people's milage may vary) and
2) Too rigid. Branching story but only a bare minimum of character customization made things feel too linear from a gameplay standpoint. That and the characters are pretty limited in what they can do individually in terms of what skills/abilities they have at their disposal. Most of the pre-battle gameplanning focusing on having each character be mechanically diverse and choosing the right characters for the right map. This combined with high deploy numbers can make fights feel pretty sloggish.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

fft’s easy, turns out jesus and his 12 disciples were all demons and judas was a spy for the holy roman empire who sent agents to kill him and got wiped out in a cataclysm but also sealed him away for a couple hundred years

everything else is war of the roses window dressing

all i really remember about fft is that algus/argath/whatever jerk from ch1, in that he didn't get enough stabbings before croaking imo

that's really it, everything with the church flew totally over my head

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In War of the Lions there's an additional battle where you can stab him some more later in the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nice

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I love that they added a battle because everybody who played that game wanted to kill him twice.
He is right behind Ted Faro in the 'universally loathed video games villains' list.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anno posted:

In further HD-2D news, Triangle Strategy hits Steam on October 13th.

Square has decided to step up for the rest of the video game industry and release everything all the time.

I've been sitting on my laurels waiting for it to hit steam, I didn't want to buy it on switch and then have it come out on PC later like with bravely default 2

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never did the mp in wotl so i was unaware of the postgame battle where you fight 10 undead argaths.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I love that they added a battle because everybody who played that game wanted to kill him twice.
He is right behind Ted Faro in the 'universally loathed video games villains' list.

Man, gently caress Ted Faro.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I downloaded a bunch of demos during that demo event thing

half of them I had to uninstall because they pulled the demo

gently caress you for doing that and if you're a dev that did that, I want to punch you in the hoohah.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gently caress you for doing that and if you're a dev that did that, I want to punch you in the hoohah.

This becoming the new norm is really mystifying to me. Like the most reasonable excuse I can imagine is that you don't want an older, no-longer-representative build of your game to be in the public consciousness for longer than it has to be and creating an updated demo is probably a lot of work, but then you get the games that have repeated limited-release windows of their demos and it's just the same loving demo each time at which point it becomes patently obvious it's just a big loving FOMO ploy and I've deliberately stopped paying attention to demo releases out of sheer spite. It's gotten to the point where for instance Songs of Syx has what it specifically bills as an "unlimited demo", not because it contains the full game and is donationware or anything like that, but simply because there isn't a baked-in time limit and there are no plans to discontinue it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Soulstone Survivors had a demo and then replaced it with a second demo they dubbed a prologue. I've seen more people mention that one, so I guess it worked out for them.

zoux posted:

I need a list of all Vampire Survivorlikes please. I have boneraiser minions and nomad survival.

I dug the Cult Of Babel prologue/demo even though that small slice has no challenge whatsoever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zoux posted:

I need a list of all Vampire Survivorlikes please. I have boneraiser minions and nomad survival.
Gunlocked
20 Minutes Till Dawn

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Im in the mood for Diablo Clones. Something a bit on the crunchy side and has a lot of customization options.

I could just go dig up my Blizzard account and go play Diablo 3 but :effort: And gently caress Activision/Blizzard

I love Path of Exile and how it builds characters but it's in the middle of a season and I think it has way to much going on in terms of side activities

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Im in the mood for Diablo Clones. Something a bit on the crunchy side and has a lot of customization options.

I could just go dig up my Blizzard account and go play Diablo 3 but :effort: And gently caress Activision/Blizzard

I love Path of Exile and how it builds characters but it's in the middle of a season and I think it has way to much going on in terms of side activities

I'm a huge shill for Last Epoch. It's still in Early Access but I've gotten over 100 hours out of it so far. It feels quite polished, "good to play", and has some end game content already -- it's just missing a few subclasses and currently singleplayer only (but they've been posting frequent developer updates about the multiplayer progress coming out in the next few months).

For me it strikes the perfect blend between D3 being too casual but POE being too complex. It has some semblance of character permanence where you cannot change your Subclass, but you can swap out your Specialized Skills at any time [and annoyingly need to re-level them but it's not the worst thing in the world].

The main thing that really sells me on the game is just how player-friendly the crafting system is. If you have an open Affix slot on an item you can just click on it and then pick from your "Shard Collection" to slap the desired prefix/suffix onto it. Shards just being a random item drop, or you can scrap an item for Shards that correlate to whatever the affixes were on the item.

It's a really generous way to circumvent the age old, "My weapon is 10 levels old but I cannot loving find something better" problem.

It also has a super easy to build loot filter system baked into the game too. I've heard it was a stated goal of the devs that they want players to actually find good gear, but I can't actually find a quote. But it does feel that way in my experience.

edit; Oh also, I forget how the math works but having fully capped resistances in this game is apparently nowhere near as important as in typical Diablo-likes. So that's cool. Because I loving hate playing Resistance Roulette in POE where you want to upgrade 1 lovely piece of jewelry but everything on the Trade Site would result you in having a massive deficit of X resistance / way overcapped on Y so then you need to find some other ring to re-balance it and now you need a different amulet and ahhhhh :suicide:

thread here :toot:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 14, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The crafting stuff in LE really was great last time I played and I think they improved it significantly since then. I have a few Diablo buddies who own the game but are waiting for MP before playing, I can't wait to get back into it once they add Multiplayer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I haven't really played it in a few months and am waiting for MP, myself. Even though I only have 1 friend who plays and our schedules rarely line up :thunk:
I'm hoping the other Subclasses get added in the same patch.

Not sure if/how the crafting has changed since I played earlier this year, but in that most recent update blog they talk about how they removed things like "+[Specific Element] Spell/Melee Damage" and just made it generic "+Adaptive Spell/Melee Damage" that will apply to whatever element your spells use. Which, again, just makes it easier to find good gear for your build.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

judgment and lost judgment are officially coming to PC today

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1570029678739750913

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That is actually super awesome! I played the first 4 chapters of Judgement before my ps4 died and it just clicked with me a lot more than the Yakuza games did, largely thanks to the english voice acting

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

judgment and lost judgment are officially coming to PC today

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1570029678739750913
According to Google translate and some timezone checking, they should pop up on the Steam store in a little over... five minutes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

How many people work at RGG? They now have I think 3 announced Yakuza Like a Dragon games, right? I didn’t think they were that big.

Seems like they’re doing very well for themselves though so good on ‘em.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Kins posted:

According to Google translate and some timezone checking, they should pop up on the Steam store in a little over... five minutes.

thats funny because i immedatiely seached for "Steam Judgement" and thought "oh poo poo only £4, easy buy" but it was this game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/383780/Judgement/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anno posted:

How many people work at RGG? They now have I think 3 announced Yakuza Like a Dragon games, right? I didn’t think they were that big.
Over 300 people, according to a news article last year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058180/Judgment/ ($40)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058190/Lost_Judgment/ ($60)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Pretty reasonable tbh, I'm in no rush since I've still got a ps4 copy upstairs but definitely one to bookmark

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dunovo :geno:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it worked for them with yak7 (went uncracked for nearly 7 months) so that was pretty much a given

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

a lot of them will still let you play if you open their folder and launch the exe directly.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The collection comes just under €100, basically the price of the two games, and you get the €30 DLC for "free" (effectively 24% off). I'm torn between throwing the money at them instantly to download asap and waiting a bit to see if key stores have any better discount. Not sure if it's realistic to expect much more than 24% off for launch, I'm very tempted to hit the button...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well just use your best, judgement

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I remembering right that in Judgement you spend like 30 hours in a school solving bullshit teenager problems for no good reasons?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Am I remembering right that in Judgement you spend like 30 hours in a school solving bullshit teenager problems for no good reasons?

Doing stupid bullshit for random people is the best part of these games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Doing stupid bullshit for random people is the best part of these games.

Yes, except when it comes to dealing with bullshit teenager drama, because that's like 99% of all anime games.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Yakuza is like, 99% anime

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Eh, I’d say it’s more of a very manly soap opera wherein most major conflict or communication is resolved by getting shirtless and beating your sense of honor into the other person.

This is all played incredibly serious and straight faced. All of the sidequests and mini games, however, are completely silly situations that your straight faced protagonist gets wrapped up in.

There’s kinda nothing else like it on the market and it works way better than it has any right to.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How did Lost Judgment turn out? I remember reading a bunch of folks talking about the treatment of some themes being... less than ideal?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

that's in Lost Judgment, I don't recall school stuff in the first one

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sounds like the game designers, lost their judgment

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

How did Lost Judgment turn out? I remember reading a bunch of folks talking about the treatment of some themes being... less than ideal?

It tackles some heavy issues and themes in some not perfect ways, and personally I thought the first game stuck the landing better. It’s not awful or anything, and it has arguably the best feeling combat of the series yet. But it also ties most of its side content to a central sort of hub system, the school clubs, which was an interesting experiment that kind of overstayed its welcome for me.

I liked the first Judgment better overall, but the sequel does have improvements and points in its favor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I don't knoooow.
You're no angsty teenager. You don't assemble a party of awful quirky morons. You don't kill god with the power of friendship.

Even just the fact that almost every notable character in Yakuza is an adult is very refreshing compared to every anime game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Persona 5 Royal steam release is October 21st