Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i just got Ducks by Kate Beaton and it fuckin owns. it's extremely not cheerful but dang it's good

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Ayin posted:

I did this too! except I took a break after eight books and haven't gotten back to it yet 😅

Can't agree with your Dune opinions though (although I got distracted from that too :negative:)

When I was a kid my fav was Salamandastron but I dunno what the current situation is since I've been leaving the ones I know are my favs for later

I still have the poem from sala memorized lol

alas sand a mat, way down in the west

if ur reading it all again I would nerd out and go chronologically im sure some nerd wiki has that figured martin, mossflower and outcast are the first three time wise and I think they’re among the best, there’s something distinct about all of them

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
near the end it was like yo it’s [name] the [gimmick] [mammal class] and they must fight the evil [slightly more homogenous gimmick] [vermin class] named like Gabfang and it’s like what’s up there’s your plot what do u want from me I’m 80 years old

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

more falafel please

forums poster

Dr. Honked posted:

i just got Ducks by Kate Beaton and it fuckin owns. it's extremely not cheerful but dang it's good

ooh yeah I gotta get this

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Ayin

Have a great day.

baka fwocka fwame posted:

if ur reading it all again I would nerd out and go chronologically im sure some nerd wiki has that figured martin, mossflower and outcast are the first three time wise and I think they’re among the best, there’s something distinct about all of them
nahhh I did all that when I was a kid
pored over all the intro/outros for common names, comparing the maps, all that shiznit
so now I'm just doing them in whatever order I feel like

also you forgot Lord Brocktree and Legend of Luke :ssh:

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
comedy option finish your re-read with the limited animated series that aired on Canadian TV in like, the 90s. I recall it being a pretty faithful adaptation of the first book.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Ayin posted:

nahhh I did all that when I was a kid
pored over all the intro/outros for common names, comparing the maps, all that shiznit
so now I'm just doing them in whatever order I feel like

also you forgot Lord Brocktree and Legend of Luke :ssh:

technically legend of luke happens in the fuckin future or something cuz there’s a framing story

my bad on lord brock

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

magic cactus posted:

comedy option finish your re-read with the limited animated series that aired on Canadian TV in like, the 90s. I recall it being a pretty faithful adaptation of the first book.

the problem with this show was not enough blood

this stuff needed the watership down treatment

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

biosterous

Dr. Honked posted:

that's the one about her time at the oilsands right?

kate beaton fuckin rules she is a national treasure

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

biosterous posted:

that's the one about her time at the oilsands right?

kate beaton fuckin rules she is a national treasure

yep. it's soooo good.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

baka fwocka fwame posted:

the problem with this show was not enough blood

this stuff needed the watership down treatment

agreed but I remember it being pretty dark for a kids show on teletoon in the 90s. It's been over two decades since I saw it though :shrug:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Just dropping by to say I could use Hilary Mantel just now but she dropped The Mirror & The Light in 2020 so it might be a wait. Wolf Hall is still one of my favourite novels.

Heavy Metal

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been digging Swag by Elmore Leonard. It's like the Tarantino/Coens/Better Call Saul of novels. And apparently this is just the tip of the Elmore iceberg!

Also, Swag has a sequel called Stick, and this character from the books was even honored with a Burt Reynolds movie. Which was apparently just so-so, but it's still a cool tidbit.

Ohtori Akio
did anybody else go sicko mode on pern when they were a middle schooler and permanently alter their psyche

more falafel please

forums poster

Ohtori Akio posted:

did anybody else go sicko mode on pern when they were a middle schooler and permanently alter their psyche

my wife is named after a pern character. to say more would basically be doxxing

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Ohtori Akio

more falafel please posted:

my wife is named after a pern character. to say more would basically be doxxing

pern fans really really like pern man

Ohtori Akio
get a load of this: f'lafel

xcheopis

In the process of getting a bookcase organized

I need the one other bookcase that is great for tall books and the one perfect for standard paperbacks. Going to have to bribe a friend who has a car.

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
i resumed reading king of the elves after a hiatus. some stuff cool but early stuff kind of a blur. liked the idea of time travelling to pull a jesus which gets explored thoroughly in one of the stories

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Finished the Two Towers. Good book, good movie. Sam is a nice boy.

beer pal

beloved is good as hell im for sure gonna read some more toni morrison in the future. now im reading mason & dixon (pynchon)

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

xcheopis

Zurtilik posted:

Finished the Two Towers. Good book, good movie. Sam is a nice boy.

It eventually became my favourite. An interesting aspects of regular re-reading as you grow older is learning how much your taste can change.

cruft

I don't even know what category to put this one in: maybe science fantasy?

It's about a couple women who stumble on this weird thing going on, and spend the book trying to figure out what in the hell. Along the way you start to realize that you might know more about the situation than the characters in the book, but you're never sure.

It's so difficult to describe this book without spoiling anything. But I guess I can say the cover is pretty LOL and try to ignore it before you decide whether to plonk down $3 for it. The author formerly had it published through a big publisher, but I guess she bought the rights back and self-published it.

It's really, really good. Here's a pretty good review.

The Steerswoman

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 27, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

The Night Shift by Natalka Burian. It's yet another yarn about how good it is to be in New Yawk (the only city in da world baby, love da mets) but it's also got this weird rear end sci-fi/fantasy bent to it that is engaging. can't stand when they go into detail about how cool and weird NYC is, so it's a mixed bag for me

ToxicFrog

Just finished the Santa Olivia / Saints Astray duology by Jacqueline Carey. I think it's my favourite so far of what I've read of her; start is a pretty slow burn but it gets really engrossing, and it's nice to have a book where romance is a focus but also the main character hooks up with her girlfriend halfway through and they spend the rest of the plot together having adventures, rather than only getting together in the final act.

Next up is The Night-Bird's Feather; so far it's a lot more, well, comprehensible than I'm used to Jenna Moran being.

The Steerswoman and its sequels are so good. Cover kicks rear end, though, I don't know what you're on about. :colbert:

I still hold out hope that she'll one day finish the series, but even if not what's there is tasty as hell.

As for genre it's straight up SF but it starts out looking like fantasy and most of the characters in it think in terms of magic rather than science, similar to Schroeder's Ventus.

idiotsavant

Freakbox posted:

Oh I absolutely know. :3: I love the badgers and the hedgies. Redwall and The Last Unicorn are my "I'm sad and my brain hurts" books.

Peter beagle also wrote A Fine and Private Place which is super super duper good. Keep it to that tho; I read some of his recent stuff and it was a little sus.

I read Black Water Sister by Zen Cho and then I read all the other stuff I could find by Zen Cho. The Sorceress to the Crown books are kinda Strange & Norell-lite but fun, and her short story collection Spirits Abroad is fantastic. The Pure Moon novella is a good read too, it’s all great!!

idiotsavant

Ohtori Akio posted:

Man, Anne McCaffrey LOVED Dragons Who gently caress

Ass-penny

hey long time no see book thread. I'm about halfway into A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, as well as just shy of halfway through Termination Shock, the newest Neal Stephenson. the latter I'm almost obligated to read, the former a friend recommended and lent to me.

I'm liking both of them, tho it's probably been over a month since I picked up the Stephenson one.

also I'm not sure if this is the place for it, in fact I'm almost certain this is not what this thread is for, but I'm going for it. most of my at home reading this summer has been either Spire: the City Must Fall or Heart: the City Beneath, both by Grant Howitt and Chris Taylor. a mate saw a review of Spire on a YouTube channel that usually reviews board games, and he thought it sounded interesting, so he ordered me a copy for my birthday. they are pen and paper RPGs, and the lore about the world is incredibly rich with interesting ideas and characters. It has been a while since a game lit up my imagination like this, and this is like, what the hobby is supposed to be about :kiddo:

baka of lathspell
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
i started reading electric sheep and lol at the opening conversation where theyre arguing over which setting on the brain device they should be using

just do the setting that makes you want to use the device

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

biosterous

cruft posted:

I don't even know what category to put this one in: maybe science fantasy?

It's about a couple women who stumble on this weird thing going on, and spend the book trying to figure out what in the hell. Along the way you start to realize that you might know more about the situation than the characters in the book, but you're never sure.

It's so difficult to describe this book without spoiling anything. But I guess I can say the cover is pretty LOL and try to ignore it before you decide whether to plonk down $3 for it. The author formerly had it published through a big publisher, but I guess she bought the rights back and self-published it.

It's really, really good. Here's a pretty good review.

The Steerswoman

your description was enough to make me grab it (yay library ebooks) and yes this rules

that part near the beginning where two characters are discussing the possible origin of something and the conversation goes (incredibly minor spoilers from the first 10% of the book)

"maybe it came from the moon?"
"no, this is blue, the moon was white"

so so good

gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

biosterous posted:

steerswoman

i basically binged the rest of the book after writing this post, and then forgot about following up

a+ book, would recommend, grabbing the rest of the series

gallery of sigs

he/him

caspergers
read this book recently called the Fifth Wave. it's okay. it's about this dude who goes to the library and sees a friend sitting at a table reading, but he can't call out her name because it's a library, so he just starts waving at his friend. Throughout the first two chapters he gives four distinct waves, each time his friend not looking up from her book, but then the main protagonist stretches back his arm and frantically gives a final fifth wave, but he knocks over an old librarian and kills her. The rest of the book deals with the consequences of this event. Our character's main conflict is that his friend cannot give adequate testimony, as he did not see whether our man had waved four previous times.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

idiotsavant posted:

Peter beagle also wrote A Fine and Private Place which is super super duper good. Keep it to that tho; I read some of his recent stuff and it was a little sus.

Seconding the recommendation of A Fine And Private Place (the only book to ever make me cry in public) but also, if you like Last Unicorn, In Calabria is a dope read. There’s an age gap romance where one of the parties is a cranky old man, but for some reason it feels… basically fine to me? I dunno, it’s never read as especially gross or exploitive, but if it’s not your thing, be warned.

Also love how in much of his fiction he takes pot shots at kale, claiming it’s a stupid thing to grow that nobody really likes. I’m with you there, Peter

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

idiotsavant
lol Calabria was the one that was kinda sus tbh. Like it was a totally great story except the age gap just felt weird and maybe a little horny. dude is like a 55-yo salt-of-the-earth farmer and the lady is like, 30? or younger? like why don't you just make her 45 and a little more mature and then its horny romance instead of just horny

speaking of romance i'm finishing the last of the Winternight trilogy by Katherine Arden and if you like russian folklore and romance its a really enjoyable trilogy. i'd call it fun, even but it can get a little bit dark (but nothing like brutal grimdark tho)

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

idiotsavant posted:

lol Calabria was the one that was kinda sus tbh. Like it was a totally great story except the age gap just felt weird and maybe a little horny. dude is like a 55-yo salt-of-the-earth farmer and the lady is like, 30? or younger? like why don't you just make her 45 and a little more mature and then its horny romance instead of just horny

but, doctor…

*bursts into tears*

I am horny

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

w4ddl3d33

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
recently been reading enjoying work is as easy as cbt by gill garratt and while normally i think self help books are a scam used to snatch a quick coin from desperate people this one is actually very good and has taught me a few tricks that have been very helpful when put into practise. im also reading empire of pain, the author of which's name i have forgotten, and if you're like me and you're oddly into pharmaceuticals it's a total shout

Finger Prince

I finished Made Things by Adrian Tchaikovsky the other week. I quite enjoyed it. It's the 3rd book of his I've read and found them all really nice stories. There's something about his writing that pulls you into the ~world of imagination~. It's very vivid, and even though it might be sci-fi or fantasy, it doesn't feel 'genre', they're just good stories. Made Things is like, what if there were little puppets that were somehow magically alive and trying to carve out their own existence among humans, and kind of runs with it and carries you along the whole way.

Ass-penny

caspergers posted:

read this book recently called the Fifth Wave. it's okay. it's about this dude who goes to the library and sees a friend sitting at a table reading, but he can't call out her name because it's a library, so he just starts waving at his friend. Throughout the first two chapters he gives four distinct waves, each time his friend not looking up from her book, but then the main protagonist stretches back his arm and frantically gives a final fifth wave, but he knocks over an old librarian and kills her. The rest of the book deals with the consequences of this event. Our character's main conflict is that his friend cannot give adequate testimony, as he did not see whether our man had waved four previous times.

lmao that sounds kind of good

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

xcheopis

Re-reading a fave series

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

John Dies At The End 4 : If This Book Exists, You're In The Wrong Universe.

Another banger from David Wong/Jason Pargin. It's gross and funny and really fun to read.