Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

njsykora posted:

IEMs are just in a boom space right now, and the $2k+ market is mostly fuelled I expect by the kind of Real American Patriot who won't denigrate themselves to buying something made in China which is where all the good poo poo that isn't stupidly overpriced is coming from.

Real American Patriots just simply buy chinese materials for their F-35s with extra steps so I'm pretty sure "not made in china" means jack poo poo except the token effort to satisfy the legalese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

While the global economy is dying at rapid speed, in the last 24 hours Dan Clark Audio announced another $4000 open back flagship and A&K/Empire Ears have a LiMiTeD EdiTiON $3400 IEM.

CanJam SoCal is this week, so expect to see more comically overpriced poo poo come out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

No matter how bad “the economy” is doing rich people are fine and it might even be smarter to focus on lower volume higher end stuff if your parts bill makes cheaper products less viable.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

taqueso posted:

It sure wasn't transparent in the early 2000s

Not if you used Xing or some other crap encoder, but Fraunhofer’s original l3enc was decent. I personally never heard washed out cymbals with l3enc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alan_Shore posted:

Anything after minidisc is snake oil

I used to use my MiniDisc as a DAC, so this post gets me.

(The noise that came out of the analog out of my iMac was insane for some reason, so I had to do this to make it bearable)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oops wrong thread

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 13, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

No matter how bad “the economy” is doing rich people are fine and it might even be smarter to focus on lower volume higher end stuff if your parts bill makes cheaper products less viable.

but i was forced by my >10000% profit margins

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I did a whole bunch of Minidisc transfers for someone a couple of years ago and they'd all held up remarkably well, certainly a much better success rate than transferring CD-Rs from 20-25 years ago. And at the time sure they were lossy but for portable recording they were better than cassette tape in almost every way imaginable. They were moderately expensive but DAT stuff was way more expensive and just as fragile if not more.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've never seen a minidisk player in real life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You're not supposed to steal your mom's credit card to buy an account, you know.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Now I need to see if I still have mine hanging around. They were awesome.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Now I need to see if I still have mine hanging around. They were awesome.

There's a tascam minidisc player/recorder at the local pawn shop and I'm just like....why not?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

There's a tascam minidisc player/recorder at the local pawn shop and I'm just like....why not?

If it works it's a steal

poo poo I should go looking

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

DoesNotCompute posted:

Hell yeah. Mine are both Sony. One of the high end silver ones, and a lower end blue one. Both absolutely sipped energy and a AA battery would last forever.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I'm a weirdo and mindisc is my primary format right now. Sure it's time has passed, but gently caress it's fun making discs and collecting different players/discs.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I sold my Sony one ages ago, but there's a Sharp in my storage unit somewhere. I should go find it.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

DoesNotCompute posted:

Those are the ones to get, I have an MD-350, it's a great deck and I've never had any problems with it. The Sony consumer stuff is probably a toss-up at this point, their gear just wasn't built to last for 20+ years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I went Walkman->Discman, I don't think Minidisc was ever much of a thing in Europe, but I do remember seeing them in stores. I thought the little discs in caddies looked super cool and futuristic, compared to giant CDs that felt like smaller, shinier records. But I never convinced my parents to buy me one. Working ones seem to be overpriced on ebay for a gimmick, but if I come across one in a second-hand store or something, I'd definitely pick one up.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I still have my MiniDisc Walkman and it works. It was amazing for the era in terms of reliability and sound quality. I did a lot of interviewing with it and a half decent microphone, was miles ahead of anything else available at the time.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

strtj posted:

Those are the ones to get, I have an MD-350, it's a great deck and I've never had any problems with it. The Sony consumer stuff is probably a toss-up at this point, their gear just wasn't built to last for 20+ years.

Just popped in, it’s an MD-350, they want $300 CAD for it (about $230 USD)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

they did their homework. Luckily, if it's not listed online you can probably go back in like 6mo and haggle down pretty far

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I still have my MiniDisc Walkman and it works. It was amazing for the era in terms of reliability and sound quality. I did a lot of interviewing with it and a half decent microphone, was miles ahead of anything else available at the time.

My bandmate used to use the Sharp one for plugging into the PA desk for recording his live sets. I think Submerged ft Lauren Flax - 110 (Live) that later came out on vinyl was recorded that way.

Sounds loving great.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cross-posting this here:

Verisimilidude posted:

I may have posted this already, but I'm still having the same issue and hoping someone can offer some assistance.

Here is the deal:

I'm currently using a Roland VT-4 as a voice transformer over Discord. I do this to alter my voice during D&D and other tabletop roleplaying games.

I have an Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio XLR Microphone that is attached via XLR cable to the Roland VT-4. From there, I am connected via USB to my Macbook Pro 2018.

I then have a pair of regular headphones plugged directly into the VT-4's phone slot.

My audio input and output are set to VT-4. When I have my headphones on, and while the bypass is turned off on the VT-4, I can hear my changed voice.

I am not using any audio-related software whatsoever.

The problem:

When I am on Discord voice chat, the audio from my computer also transmits to everyone else in the channel. This makes it difficult to play music, or use sound effects at too high a volume, since if it meets the sound level threshold on Discord it will transmit to the players.

I can plug my headphones directly into my laptop and this prevents this transmission issue. However, I cannot hear my voice transformation and that makes it difficult to tell what kind of effect I have achieved.

Nothing in the manual seems to address this, and I have reached out directly to Roland but have not received a response.

My goal:

I want to prevent myself from transmitting my computer audio, while still being able to hear my voice transformations.

I have spoken to one audio engineer, but their answer was pretty complex and not within the realm of my knowledge. It can be assumed I have zero audio knowledge at all.

Essentially, they recommended I get an "audio interface with a separate monitoring knob". After this I haven't heard back for clarification.

My question:

How can I fix this issue? Would this audio engineer's solution (an audio interface w/ separate monitoring knob) resolve my problem? If so, can someone recommend such a product for <=$100? Is there another kind of product (digital, perhaps) that would also resolve this issue?

Additional information:

I have tried the Loopback app but was unable to get it to work for me, most likely because I don't know anything about audio.

My headphones aren't leaking sound, but rather the computer is picking up my computer audio and transmits it when it is above the threshold I set in Discord.

I have read the manual front to back several times. The closest it gets to answering my question is on page 8, specifically routing the playback to OUT (1-2):

However it doesn't actually describe how to use the VT-4 as an audio interface, or how to change the route. I have tried reinstalling the drivers but they only have options for Audio Buffer Size, Recording Margin, and Recording Timing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is an issue that has been plaguing me for months now and it's a huge pain sometimes!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sir this is an Arby's audiophile mocking thread. Try the Audio Questions thread.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

njsykora posted:

Sir this is an Arby's audiophile mocking thread. Try the Audio Questions thread.

Lol my bad. Thanks!

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My bandmate used to use the Sharp one for plugging into the PA desk for recording his live sets. I think Submerged ft Lauren Flax - 110 (Live) that later came out on vinyl was recorded that way.

Sounds loving great.

They're essentially the same as MP3s, if the recording came out right the first time and you don't want or need to touch it, great. But if you want to do a bunch of equalization or post-processing to it, it might not sound very good.

Lots of smaller bands used them for recording off the board like that, or live in the studio. It was a reasonable approach but was eclipsed fairly quickly by direct-to-computer recording for studio/practice stuff and by digital file recorders for live sound once the prices got sane.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

normal hobby

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's an actual pair of headphones and therefore not relevant to this thread.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The extraneous weights in those better be gold for that money. None of that bullshit pot metal that's in Beats.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
For $5k I would prefer that my headphones not be ugly as all get out

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
You don't understand, the audio speed holes really increase the velocity

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Aaronicon posted:

You don't understand, the audio speed holes really increase the velocity

I mean they're just open back headphones, that's not audiophile nonsense unless they're claiming hexagons are better for the sound or something

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

strtj posted:

For $5k I would prefer that my headphones not be ugly as all get out

How about $4k but much uglier: https://danclarkaudio.com/expanse.html

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Remember when the Sennheiser HD650s seemed ridiculously priced? I mean, they were $500!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

triple sulk posted:

normal hobby

To be fair, the cost of manufacturing beryllium domes for drivers is not insignificant.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DoesNotCompute posted:

To be fair, the cost of manufacturing beryllium domes for drivers is not insignificant.

relative to what X is the question

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

I didn't think there was much crossover between audiophiles and the mesh tank top crowd, but here we are

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
The funniest thing to me about headphones is that you can get decent stuff from some of the companies that are still out there to separate rich idiots from their money. I have a pair of Hifiman HE-400se phones and they're probably one of the best bargains of the last few years, but they also constantly spam me with offers of $1k+ stuff that couldn't possibly be ten times better. Similarly, Fischer had some pretty reasonable headphones a few years back but their Kennerton line is all about exotic woods etc. for way too much money.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strtj posted:

The funniest thing to me about headphones is that you can get decent stuff from some of the companies that are still out there to separate rich idiots from their money. I have a pair of Hifiman HE-400se phones and they're probably one of the best bargains of the last few years, but they also constantly spam me with offers of $1k+ stuff that couldn't possibly be ten times better. Similarly, Fischer had some pretty reasonable headphones a few years back but their Kennerton line is all about exotic woods etc. for way too much money.
This is how most of the audio market works, you make "halo" gear almost nobody actually buys to get attention and make most of your money selling the base models or one tier up. KEF probably sells 10,000 pairs of Q series bookshelf speakers for every set of Blades. Then you send the halo gear to reviewers so they can kiss your rear end. There's seems to be something about the headphone market that exacerbates the hoarding itch, though. Maybe it's just because they're physically smaller? It's hard to have a dozen pairs of tower speakers unless you have a 3000 square foot Zeos basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
People have more than one set of headphones???