Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Oh, maybe this is good timing - I have a Ryzen 5 3600X which is worse but a Geforce 3080 Ti which is stronger, and last night I took my two 1080p 24" work monitors and rigged them up to try out triple-screen with my 34" in the center.

I get 100+ fps with high-ish settings and a full grid on a single 34" ultrawide, but three monitors was rough. It dropped me to around the mid-50s, with valleys down into the 30s. I didn't feel like dumping my graphics settings down because I am vain so I just took it all apart again, screw it. I'll wear the VR headset if I want more awareness.

Now got me looking at upgrading that processor, though...it's maybe time anyway.

Ok yeah this is kind of what I am expecting, even if I just take 2 spare 1080p 24" and stick them on the sides. I'd expect about mid-50's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Can you run the side monitors at a different resolution than the middle one in a tripple setup? With an ultrawide in the middle, on the side I really would just want the ability to see if there's a car there and some additional sense of speed.

e: Thinking about it, that seems highly unlikely to be possible.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

KillHour posted:

The processor probably isn't going to improve your framerate if it went down by just increasing resolution. That's all GPU.

A 3080 ti can do triples no problem, I doubt his GPU is the issue.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Can you run the side monitors at a different resolution than the middle one in a tripple setup? With an ultrawide in the middle, on the side I really would just want the ability to see if there's a car there and some additional sense of speed.

No, it’s one big resolution setting not three separate settings.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm moving in 2 weeks and don't have an active sub to iRacing so I can't test anything for a few weeks but I will report back when I do. I'm probably going to need a better GPU though so I'll start hunting around for one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GhostDog posted:

That exists and is called foveated rendering but the engine itself has to support it, AFAIK. It's mostly a thing for VR.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

KillHour posted:

The processor probably isn't going to improve your framerate if it went down by just increasing resolution. That's all GPU.

necrotic posted:

A 3080 ti can do triples no problem, I doubt his GPU is the issue.

Well, we'll find out for sure - picking up a 5900X after work today, will report.

GhostDog posted:

No chance in hell.

e: Also, gently caress Battlefront.
:sigh:

:hai:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Well, we'll find out for sure - picking up a 5900X after work today, will report.

:sigh:

:hai:

I run a 3090 and a 5950x and run triples for iracing plus a fourth for random poo poo no problem. I only dip below 100fps at the worst spots with maxed out settings.

5900x and 3080 ti should work very similarly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 4000 series RTX cards are coming out pretty soon, but it sounds like they are going to be almost twice as expensive as the 3000 series.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My 2080ti on my sim rig runs triple 1080p just fine. It would struggle a bit at triple 1440p. You definitely don't want dissimilar resolutions, it won't work, and you'd need to run all 3 at the smallest resolution. Dissimilar sizes will have problems as well. It works fine for desktop use when each one is a discrete monitor but for triples in gaming you generally have to "bond" them with your graphics card software into a single giant display, and that won't really handle dissimilar poo poo.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The 4000 series RTX cards are coming out pretty soon, but it sounds like they are going to be almost twice as expensive as the 3000 series.

Any listed/leaked price for the 4000 series is a guess/placeholder, Nvidia’s board partners don’t even know the prices until Nvidia actually announces them.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Eyud posted:

Any listed/leaked price for the 4000 series is a guess/placeholder, Nvidia’s board partners don’t even know the prices until Nvidia actually announces them.

Also it's in Nvidia's interest for the rumours to be high prices because that will induce more people to buy now instead of waiting, and they have a *ton* of product to shift.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plus crypto gpu mining just took a big hit today with ethereum changing something g that I don’t really understand, but that should help drive prices down.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Plus crypto gpu mining just took a big hit today with ethereum changing something g that I don’t really understand, but that should help drive prices down.

From my extremely limited knowledge it basically means not everybody is allowed to mine anymore, you must be owning a largish share of the currency already. And in return you may be selected to do the mining. So average joe can't do it anymore, only millionaire mike. Essentially this sounds awfully close to them introducing an equivalent of micro banks to me?
Let us hope it means not every miner and their grandma will gobble up graphics cards anymore.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hopper posted:

From my extremely limited knowledge it basically means not everybody is allowed to mine anymore, you must be owning a largish share of the currency already. And in return you may be selected to do the mining. So average joe can't do it anymore, only millionaire mike.

lmao

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ACC and all it's DLC are on sale on steam, 60% off (66% for ACC itself), aside from the challengers pack which is only 10% off for whatever reason.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopper posted:

From my extremely limited knowledge it basically means not everybody is allowed to mine anymore, you must be owning a largish share of the currency already. And in return you may be selected to do the mining. So average joe can't do it anymore, only millionaire mike. Essentially this sounds awfully close to them introducing an equivalent of micro banks to me?
Let us hope it means not every miner and their grandma will gobble up graphics cards anymore.

Good, that means the average joe cant (or at least wont have incentive to) gobble up GPU's, which is all I care about.

Crypto bros can get all buttfrustrated about it, but gimme dem cardz

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Speaking of GPUs:
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1570850305071546368

EVGA has stopped producing video cards for Nvidia. Sounds like they're pulling out of the GPU market entirely, no plans to move to AMD or Intel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bentai posted:

Speaking of GPUs:
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1570850305071546368

EVGA has stopped producing video cards for Nvidia. Sounds like they're pulling out of the GPU market entirely, no plans to move to AMD or Intel.

Are they still making the backpacks though or the one lovely old audio converter card that's always up on B-Stock?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hopefully the crypto bros won't get in on the new RTX cards, but I still expect they will sell out instantly and be very difficult to get regardless.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

It's totally weird. I looked it up because I wanted to know if it was all performative or if it may really reduce the impact on graphics card prices and energy waste.

Here is the overview I found:
https://www.coindesk.com/tech/2022/09/07/ethereum-merge-what-you-need-to-know/?_gl=1*17kutld*_ga*dGQzRkRWbVRNQkZBcWRHSGZTYzNFSmFEM1hrc25TUExYaUh3Z1FRbWRyeDkweHU2bFpBTjNWa3lDb0VVbElGdg..

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your link is broken. Also, reading that, I felt like I had an aneurysm. They can't just use regular technical terms. They have to make up poo poo like "proto-danksharding" that sound like a middle schooler trying to write a cyberpunk novel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As near as I can tell the 8nm CSL DD has been removed from the fanatec site? It’s just the 5nm and the gran turismo 8nm

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Might only be in a bundle with the Gt version but it’s here still: https://fanatec.com/us-en/accessories/wheel-base-accessories/boost-kit-180-8nm

Edit nope here it is https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/csl-dd-8-nm

Found it listed under the bundles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Could be a mobile thing too :iiam:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fanatics website is, has always been, and probably will always be, poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MrYenko posted:

Fanatics website is, has always been, and probably will always be, poo poo.

Fanatec's website is poo poo as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

njsykora posted:

Fanatec's website is poo poo as well.

iOS’ autocorrect is getting more and more aggressive.

:v:

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

ssb posted:

ACC and all it's DLC are on sale on steam, 60% off (66% for ACC itself), aside from the challengers pack which is only 10% off for whatever reason.

How is the online racing scene on this one compared to like iRacing? How often there is races, is there safety rating or some sort of mmr? I assume its mostly GT3 and GT4 right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really wanting to buy a DD wheel right now but Fanatec is eternally sold out and literally every other option is :retrogames:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It'd be real cool if you could buy that new Moza wheel separate from the rest of the set.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

How is the online racing scene on this one compared to like iRacing? How often there is races, is there safety rating or some sort of mmr? I assume its mostly GT3 and GT4 right?

It is exclusively GT3 and (with the DLC) GT4, and I'd say it's...probably the busiest online racing game next to iRacing? Like, an order of magnitude or two less, but surely more than any other game since it's just about the only one that tries to have a ranking system like iRacing does.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 19, 2022

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

There’s a community system now (low fuel motorsports is one of them I think) that more and more are starting to use. Similar to iracing with SR and ELO ranking.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
For GT3, LFM is about a quarter of the participation of iRacing, in practice that means you're going to be targeting certain times of day to race instead of one race every hour like iRacing. The driving standards are not great, but the iRacing GT3s are often a shitshow anyway so you probably won't be able to tell the difference too much.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Okay, thank you! I'll buy it and test it then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It'd be real cool if you could buy that new Moza wheel separate from the rest of the set.

Yes, this is also extremely bullshit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone have the Moza R5? Care to share thoughts?

I'm seriously thinking of getting the R5 bundle and unloading the pedals on ebay

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

really you can learn the theory with something like this series which iirc i looked at like once way back but really i just learned mostly by ramming my head directly into RBR, and im still not consistently good lol.

Trying to put some of the basics off the top of my head, you're managing a few things in sim racing that are handwaved away alot in arcade.
You're transferring you're weight, and if you do it wrong you get sent to heaven.
You're managing your tire grip. you can't just go pedal to medal whenever and you also can't brake max power whenever you want.
you're synthesizing the two by throwing the weight of the car around by understanding how you weight is transferred and tires interact with the surface, also you're saving the car by countering forces you didn't intended to apply.
you're looking at a corner and deciding when to brake, how hard to brake and when to accelerate. in rally you might pushing the brake and accelerator at the same time.
with multiple cars you have to keep track of them in order to not get sent to heaven by somebody else since a bump might be able to be corrected but also that requires you to react instantaneously and accurately.
In short prepare to be owned for a bit, a lot of stuff on is simple in theory and completely different when deciding and executing on the spot. Just have to put in the time.

e: oh yeah and pay the :fivecbux: for content manager for assetto corsa. it is so ridiculously easy to mod/start races/change settings/etc. im kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

This is a while back but I just wanted to say thanks for that link at the beginning of the post. His channel has several great playlists, and I have been watching his videos for a few days.

The how-to stuff is great, but also his videos analyzing the driving styles of various F1 drivers are really interesting.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1572612457465618434

I'm...skeptical.

e: mildly annoyed is certainly how I reacted to his previous games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GhostDog posted:

https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1572612457465618434

I'm...skeptical.

e: mildly annoyed is certainly how I reacted to his previous games

Yeah seems as unprofessional as you could possibly present yourself? Also is his twitter picture himself flexing in a mirror lmao