Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

By being capable of typing out a question on a computer and by real life evidence you were able to recognize the shape and that yes, that was the USS Texas when you went outside, this puts you in the upper echelons of the player-base. It is, has always been and will continue to be uniquely dreadful, getting worse all the time. I believe the average win-rate is 44% now. You'll have no troubles getting back into it.

Should you though? No. Will I ever stop? Also no.

Operations are fun! Just go in expecting nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They've added a shitload of other ship lines as well, so if you have a specific playstyle you like, we can probably recommend something you'd enjoy.

I'm a monster that likes to set things on fire and cause floods. A big, dumb part of me wants to see things torn to pieces by secondaries while I hammer something completely unrelated to pieces with my main guns. Sometimes I like being sneaky or being a general pest.

But I also know for sure that my tendency to be aggressive causes me to overcommit. I remember a lot of 'That was a fun dive, but now I have to sit here and watch these bozos fart around for the next 10 minutes.'

It looks like I'd picked up a couple of the British BBs somehow while bypassing their other lines, and I vaguely recall the British CVs, but I don't think I have any of them unlocked. I remember the CV perspective rework for planes, but I don't think I'd touched CVs much before that.

EDIT: Looking at some more videos, it looks like Secondaries got hit with a giant nerf bat 'recently' and that makes me sad.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 12, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Secondaries are in a fine place right now I think. You just have to play a 'secondary ship', you can't really build most ships for that job. German battlecruisers are the most notable ones.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

masterpine posted:

By being capable of typing out a question on a computer and by real life evidence you were able to recognize the shape and that yes, that was the USS Texas when you went outside, this puts you in the upper echelons of the player-base. It is, has always been and will continue to be uniquely dreadful, getting worse all the time. I believe the average win-rate is 44% now. You'll have no troubles getting back into it.

Case in point: a Moskva who sat ~7km away from a Shimakaze and Groningen who were smoked up in a cap. He didn't use his radar once. Not loving once. There were plenty of ships who could've torn them apart, but he just sat there and finished the game with 124 XP. At T10.

After the game it's some 42% shitter. This game will make you question your faith in humanity, and then lose it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

General Battuta posted:

Secondaries are in a fine place right now I think. You just have to play a 'secondary ship', you can't really build most ships for that job. German battlecruisers are the most notable ones.

Schliefen can absolutely wreck. I’ve had games with over a thousand hits.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

wdarkk posted:

Schliefen can absolutely wreck. I’ve had games with over a thousand hits.

Yeah the only skill you need to learn in the Schlieffen is how to not "push" into half the enemy team and die. After that you'll be golden.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

General Battuta posted:

I just noticed that there's a whole new line on the German BBs. They've added a lot, haven't they?

EDIT: Oh, apparently I had just gotten enough XP to unlock the T8 IJN CV and stopped playing. So I guess that's a thing I can feed into T10 matches. Unless Wargaming fixed that. :hurr:

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 12, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gearhead posted:

I just noticed that there's a whole new line on the German BBs. They've added a lot, haven't they?

EDIT: Oh, apparently I had just gotten enough XP to unlock the T8 IJN CV and stopped playing. So I guess that's a thing I can feed into T10 matches. Unless Wargaming fixed that. :hurr:

They didn't. You'll be in T10 matches most of the time with a T8 CV.

But the good news is that they recently reworked operations to scale from T6 to T8, so you can also grind XP in operations. The IJN CVs are kinda tricky to play because their planes are fragile and attacking squadrons are small, but they are very effective when used well, so going to the Hakuryu isn't a bad idea.

If you just generally want to tool around in CVs, Soviets are currently by far the best. Their gimmick is that they only do one attack run with the full squadron, and as you get to higher tiers the attack ranges become so big that you can drop from outside many ships' AA range, and don't have to linger inside very long in any case. It's kinda telling that the Nakhimov is doing comparable average damage numbers to the UK and US Super CVs (which are basically T11). If you're not averse to buying premium ships, the Soviet T8 premium CV, Chkalov, is completely busted.

The new German BBs (or more accurately battlecruisers) are a ton of fun. They have weak armour, but the best secondaries in the game, are really fast, have hard hitting torpedoes and decent AA. Plus you can use Gunther Lütjens in them, which makes them insanely good (Lütjens is a special commander who has a skill that activates after you get 100 secondary hits, giving you +10% secondary reload speed). Once you learn how to balance pushing and safety, they become extremely rewarding and nice to play.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 14, 2022

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm not remotely shocked by any of this. Particularly the Soviet paper CVs fortified with Stalinium. I'd been trying to avoid the meme of Russian ships, but that was years ago and I held out some hope that surely they'd fix that poo poo.

Sounds like German BCs and the magical fantasies of Comrade Stalin are in my future.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Honestly I think most of the Soviet ships are pretty balanced outside of the carriers. I don't know if it's power creep or what but aside from Petropavlovsk I don't see them dominating randoms. Kremlin gets stuck bow in and farmed, Nevsky's great but nobody plays it, I don't see the DDs a lot.

A lot of good premiums though.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

General Battuta posted:

Honestly I think most of the Soviet ships are pretty balanced outside of the carriers. I don't know if it's power creep or what but aside from Petropavlovsk I don't see them dominating randoms. Kremlin gets stuck bow in and farmed, Nevsky's great but nobody plays it, I don't see the DDs a lot.

A lot of good premiums though.

I think it's a case where they are fairly well balanced in a 12v12 random format, but in a 7v7 competitive mode they are much more powerful.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Blindeye posted:

I think it's a case where they are fairly well balanced in a 12v12 random format, but in a 7v7 competitive mode they are much more powerful.

Not really so much anymore since the last Petro nerfs.

In T10 comp play you get:

Moskva - honestly probably the most useful of the bunch now, has real armor (although extremely weak braodsides), OKish HE dpm, viable AP threat, long range radar, without Stalin's duration nerf, and it doesn't take BB fires. Also has a hydro unlike Stalin. Hot garbage against Goliath, Henri, Conde etc
Stalin - Just pure trash. Huge, seen from space, can't maneuver, gets eaten alive by big HE
Petro - Basically trash now. The guns essentially don't do anything except in one very specific circumstance, the radar is better than nothing but a poo poo radar, it gets absolutely massacred by big HE and has no answer to anything that can angle to it while also landing tons of HE. Also now if it gets caught out it will get deleted.
Nevsky - Sometimes useful with a coordinated smoke play
Smolensk - Sometimes useful in very specific metas and comps
Kremlin - Eh, it's still a big dumb brick but the dispersion is pretty garbage, also gets punished heavily by the big HE'ers once again.

Right now Napoli is probably the most broken comp ship, unless you're talking supership metas, in which case Conde is.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

What was the closed beta like? How did they try to make those hard counters work?

Torpedoes were much better and cruisers died faster to battleships. The idea was that destroyers would torpedo battleships, cruisers would try to prevent that and be AA ships, and battleships would kill cruisers. It didn't really work at all.

Blindeye posted:

The main thing here is that Kremlin/Moskva/Petro/Stalingrad all trade off damage output (people will say "but they're good against broadsides" but almost everything is good against broadsides) for more health, which is questionable in randoms where the game is mostly about killing idiots as fast as possible. In competitive mode you can design your team around bringing a bunch of ships with lower damage but more hp.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
:siren: PSA: We are getting free Commander skill respecs next patch.

Of course, this could not be announced when Last Stand got fixed, or with the Gun Feeder changes, or when some other skill changes were announced in a dev blog, all within a few weeks ago. It had to be announced in a footnote in the latest Developer Bulletin, under submarine Early Access: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-0119/

:thumbsup:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I’ve been enjoying Kremlin a lot in ranked this season. With the Petro nerfs, it and Napoli are basically the only bullshit armoured ships left. Ie you can make a gamer turn 18 km in front of a BB and get away with it. The guns are mediocre outside about 15km, but inside that really they are as good as anything. It’s still the tankiest ship in the game, and the offensive side of it is underrated.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else get an email about TOS violation because they played an AA spec'd CV in CV brawls? I guess they didn't like me making 2-3m credits and like nearly 80k fxp/commander xp per match with the Enterprise.

Apparently some folks were doing some scummy things.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Stanley Pain posted:

Anyone else get an email about TOS violation because they played an AA spec'd CV in CV brawls? I guess they didn't like me making 2-3m credits and like nearly 80k fxp/commander xp per match with the Enterprise.

I saw this on reddit, apparently they send the email if you trip whatever database query they used but they don't necessarily do the account rollback unless they manually reviewed you. Or at least that's what the WG guy claimed.

There was one guy who got 400 plane kills in one match and the screenshot of that was what triggered this.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stanley Pain posted:

Some people on the Asian server were doing a thing where they'd all agree to drive into AA range, and then just farm each other's planes for ages. Apparently anyone who didn't want to participate by giving the secret code word at the start of the match were ratted out in all chat and ganged up on immediately.

So in typical WG fashion they also banned you.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Submarines have really started to annoy me after a submarine rammed me with its periscope and destroyed my Minekaze as I was trying to depth charge it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Stanley Pain posted:

I did this and received no warnings. No-fun Enterprise supremacy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Submarines have really started to annoy me after a submarine rammed me with its periscope and destroyed my Minekaze as I was trying to depth charge it.

Are you suggesting there's something wrong with a ship class you can't interact with until you've literally driven over it???

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

Are you suggesting there's something wrong with a ship class you can't interact with until you've literally driven over it???

Even better in a Dutch ship where you have 0 ability to deal with subs. No depth charge strikes, no launchers on the ship, you just get to stare at them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

Even better in a Dutch ship where you have 0 ability to deal with subs. No depth charge strikes, no launchers on the ship, you just get to stare at them.

Which is extra double stupid considering air strikes are the Dutch cruisers' specialty. But I guess they want you to use your once in a minute ability on a sub who can just press a button and completely negate it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They could at least make the planes drop some depth charges too.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Possibly. Maybe.

I'm also confused why my Minekaze at full HP was destroyed when it hit a periscope and the sub got away without sinking.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You remember the glorious katana wing of the Japanese Zero? Same principle, periscope folded ten thousand times

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Minenfeld! posted:

Possibly. Maybe.

I'm also confused why my Minekaze at full HP was destroyed when it hit a periscope and the sub got away without sinking.

for the same reason that subs have better saturation mechanics and more HP than French DDs: WG are bad at game design.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
With subs coming to the tech tree, I think if anything we will see more of them. I would expect every match to have at least 1 sub or CV and that makes me think taking the combined AA/ASW skills might be more valuable.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Aiming seems to be broken again? Shells don't go where you click, they go wherever your mouse is a moment after you click. So you kinda gotta click and then keep the mouse there for a moment.

Or, put differently, your guns will wait a moment to shoot and then they'll shoot at wherever your mouse is now (not where it was when you clicked).

Did I get that right?

e: or do you need to dwell a moment BEFORE clicking?

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 17, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah it's completely broken, and you got it exactly right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QA52f_Xpz8

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So, did all my free gift things and got 2 ships in my supercontainers, the Ark Royal and the tier 6 French CV. I never play CVs. I did get enough coal to get the Black however.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The playerbase quality has dropped so far (I think due to the anniversary event) that it no longer feels possible to have an impact on matches. I am reduced to chatbox seething.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

The playerbase quality has dropped so far (I think due to the anniversary event) that it no longer feels possible to have an impact on matches. I am reduced to chatbox seething.

That's why I vastly prefer ranked. The players are just as terrible, but it's only 6 on 6 so you can have more of an effect on the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Submarines alone shouldn't be, but what super turbo secret double shouldn't be is "multiple submarines in a division". Jesus loving christ, what poo poo for brains dreamed up this one?

And in a general mood taster on the public's opinion on submarines, in that double sub division game I managed to sink one in my Cossack, and couldn't help doing some bad manners and saying "go and eat poo poo with your loving submarine" in all chat afterwards. I'd expect to get reported for that, definitely since he was with a buddy in a division.

Nope, commendations and +3 karma after the game.

But only 10% of players dislike submarines you guys.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So many tears to harvest between goons and pubs about CVs and Subs. :getin:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's very funny to make the game worse for everyone, because the developers have to justify their investment in poo poo that didn't work by buffing it until people play it, and then say you're 'harvesting tears'.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm starting to get the hang of the Marceau and that's manifesting itself in winning 10 straight games in ranked, averaging 170k damage and I'm not an amazing player by any means.

This thing's loving hilarious. Enemy DDs? Just rush them and burn them down the blink of an eye. Enemy BBs? Afterburners on, do donuts and dunk on them until they quit the game.

I love me a BB player who insta-repairs a single fire, because that guarantees three more in about 20 seconds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It feels like everyone with a WR above 51% has stopped playing. I've seen throws you people wouldn't believe. This anniversary poo poo is really bad for enjoying randoms (as is everything else, but).

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

General Battuta posted:

It feels like everyone with a WR above 51% has stopped playing. I've seen throws you people wouldn't believe. This anniversary poo poo is really bad for enjoying randoms (as is everything else, but).

I literally had a 271k damage game in ranked that was a win only by the slimmest margins. Anything less than doing 150k damage feels like rolling the dice.

Hell, I had a 220k damage game in a kitakaze...

... I got zero spotting damage. Zero.

I was not hiding behind islands or in smoke the whole time. I was almost the only person in mid doing any spotting and yet I had zero spotting damage. That's never happened to me before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

One of our middling-to-okay clan members lost a bet a few months ago and was forced to only play the U-2501 until he had 500 games in it. He's a 55% WR player and has finished his insane stupid grind with a WR of 76% on the U-2501 averaging 160K damage. Once you have even the most basic understanding of how they work you can just press W, ratfuck anything within range of you and win games.

The most broken aspect of submarines is this dogshit playerbase. 99% of sub players are T6/7 Co-op battle mouth-breathers that passively grind out access to a TX submarine and poo poo up games. The remaining 1% are the worst human beings on the planet, motherfucks who know that just by having hands they'll outplay the enemy submarine and tilt the match heavily into their favor.

His final action after playing 500+ games of loving submarines was to change his account password to a random string, send it to our clan leader and tell him to only give it back to him after a month.

I've personally enjoyed the anniversary grind because I've just stuck to Operations. Decent rewards, fun playing all sorts of T8 ships and very little care if we win or lose. Had a 550k damage game on Narai in a Cleveland which was hilarious. Clan Wars being on helps too because I get my competitive fix a few nights a week from that.