Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Be thankful to whichever dead god you pray to that there is a currency wallet now and you don't have to physically carry around your currencies and keys around taking up slots per-character and needing to be brought to the relevant merchant with stacks in inventory and not just in your bank.

The sheer relief when that was implemented was palpable.

Second to making dungeon currency universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

cyclical posted:

The End of Dragons dailies are worth taking a look at

Specifically, try to fit in the "fish 4 times in x location" daily, doesn't even have to be a fishing hole, just catch something 4 times, takes a minute, it can regularly reward some ascended fish meat worth 20s each or a ambergris worth 2g.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Inzombiac posted:

Second to making dungeon currency dyes universal.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Were dyes ever not account bound?

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Dyes were character bound on release.

Those were dark times.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Specifically, try to fit in the "fish 4 times in x location" daily, doesn't even have to be a fishing hole, just catch something 4 times, takes a minute, it can regularly reward some ascended fish meat worth 20s each or a ambergris worth 2g.

i've been doing that just so i can slowly chip away at the many, many fishing achievements

is there a reason the rewards for the LS1 achievements are exotic trinkets? that seems weird

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Dyes were character bound on release.

Those were dark times.

Imagine getting black or white on a lowbie you were playing just to mess around with a new class combo.
:negative:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They were still tradeable and you had to consume them, so you didn't do that.

Also the dyes were cheaper when they were character specific, even abyss/celestial only really spiked after the account-wide dyes were introduced in early 2014 (from 20-30g to about 100 within a year of the wardrobe's introduction).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I made some decce coin after buying all my characters every dye under 2 silver. It was around the time that anet messed up the loot tables and dye dropped from literally everything and prices cratered. When the conversion came I had a couple stacks of unIDs sold that for between 25s - 1g during the next bubble. Probably bought some stupid gemstore item with the proceeds, no regerts.

Good times :allears:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Character-bound dyes was nothing compared to having to buy trait books on everyone. And the second version where you had to unlock grandmasters by doing specific events.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also trait lines came bundled with base stats

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best torch skin in the game is Touch of Madness, a halloween skin. The skin is just your hand .. on fire. The best focus skin is the chimeric focus that comes with 20 HoM points. It's your hand, surrounded by crystals.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

jokes posted:

The best torch skin in the game is Touch of Madness, a halloween skin. The skin is just your hand .. on fire. The best focus skin is the chimeric focus that comes with 20 HoM points. It's your hand, surrounded by crystals.

I have touch of madness and use it, and it does indeed own. It also counts as a light source.

This Halloween I’m gonna work on Touch of Fog which is the same, but makes your hand glow white, like steam or whatever white stuff you can think of

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Touch of Madness is also like 8g on the TP. I wonder if the .... white one will be similarly cheap.

In any event, halloween events are good value and pretty fun.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

AmbientParadox posted:

This Halloween I’m gonna work on Touch of Fog which is the same, but makes your hand glow white, like steam or whatever white stuff you can think of

Something I learned is that the mini you use to make the Touch of Fog is not unlocked when you throw it down the forge. If you want to unlock Svelicht in addition to the torch then you'll need to buy two birds.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

jokes posted:

Touch of Madness is also like 8g on the TP. I wonder if the .... white one will be similarly cheap.

In any event, halloween events are good value and pretty fun.

The white one is very expensive/requires you to grind out many corn cobs, unfortunately. it owns though and i use it on my guardian

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wish there were more Focus builds that I liked because they get some of the best models.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Focus is the only land weapon not tied to an elite specialization :smith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inzombiac posted:

I wish there were more Focus builds that I liked because they get some of the best models.

I like the skull and I like the red crystal

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Main hand focus on Ele when?
(I know the models can't work with MH but I can dream)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Humerus posted:

Main hand focus on Ele when?
(I know the models can't work with MH but I can dream)

Warrior focus MH/OH, and it's just a bunch of kicks and headbutts, not using the weapons at all. TWO SKULL TIME.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jokes posted:

Warrior focus MH/OH, and it's just a bunch of kicks and headbutts, not using the weapons at all. TWO SKULL TIME.

Once again I am crying because Anet refuses to make a martial/kickpunch class to piss me off, personally.

Edit: Actually, someone please toss me a drat good staff Daredevil build.
That's as close as it's gonna get.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just bring back the ranger sword-kick and I'll be fine.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Darn mechanists have really driven up the cost of Nika's.

I was going to gear up a thief on an alt account and it's at least double the price of the named berserker sets for the other weights.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait, you don't have to fish in the fishing spots? I've tried to do the fishing daily a couple of times, the first few times the areas had 700 required power (when I have 150), and then the last time I tried it said Heart of Maguuma, and I couldn't find a single fishing hole anywhere in any of the maps.

It also sure would be nice to see the required fishing level in game before I try and fish, because the only place I've found so far with a reasonable fishing level is in Shing Jea, which has been anywhere from 0-200 power, but until you start trying to reel them in you don't know what it is.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Wait, you don't have to fish in the fishing spots? I've tried to do the fishing daily a couple of times, the first few times the areas had 700 required power (when I have 150), and then the last time I tried it said Heart of Maguuma, and I couldn't find a single fishing hole anywhere in any of the maps.

It also sure would be nice to see the required fishing level in game before I try and fish, because the only place I've found so far with a reasonable fishing level is in Shing Jea, which has been anywhere from 0-200 power, but until you start trying to reel them in you don't know what it is.

you don't need to use one of those fishing spots. Heart of Maguuma doesn't seem to have much water but theres some near the waypoint that connects the lanes in tangled depths. the one that is on the meta reward spot

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CODChimera posted:

you don't need to use one of those fishing spots. Heart of Maguuma doesn't seem to have much water but theres some near the waypoint that connects the lanes in tangled depths. the one that is on the meta reward spot

The one I usually use for that is the Rata Novus waypoint in TD, which is right next to water

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
If you have a guild that has one of the HoT guild halls, just fish there for heart of mag fish. The con is that there are few fishing spots. But! There are no enemies. Guilded Hollow should have them and I know Lost Precipice does as there was no way I was going out and fishing in that jungle. Its awful enough with ranger pet ai kicking in randomly - just no.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Maguuma Jungle is not just the HoT zones though

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ineptitude posted:

Maguuma Jungle is not just the HoT zones though

No but heart of maguuma is though

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MajorBonnet posted:

Darn mechanists have really driven up the cost of Nika's.

I was going to gear up a thief on an alt account and it's at least double the price of the named berserker sets for the other weights.
Oh is that why? I noticed last week when I got one Nika's drop and thought "that can't be right". Welp...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Finally getting around to doing personal story stuff and I have no idea how I was supposed to find the drat secret entrance to the artherblade hideout without the wiki. An npc probably said something about it but man was that poorly telegraphed, especially since the area is absolutely crawling with mobs

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My Mechanist is now fully kitted in ascended gear. Feels Good Man.

If Mechanist gets nerfed into oblivion, I hope rifle scrapper becomes a thing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I dusted off my engi a few weeks ago because I remembered hearing good things about running around laid back with a flamethrower, and started the mechanist track, but now its all trendy and expensive and I'm blowing all my money on rifle skins :reject:

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'm a returning player after a very long break. I'm in the EU and all my characters are on Ring of Fire. Am I just poo poo out of luck in terms of joining a goon guild? Maguuma seems completely full.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Without transfering, you can join goon guilds, but you can't play with them unless the other goon's account is also on one of the European servers. You can still chat, receive/send mail and items and you can use guild halls. But you can't join people in their instances of cities, open world maps, dungeons, etc.

However, you don't have to transfer to Maguuma to join goons, any of the US servers is fine to just play with people. The only exception is WvW, until the currently planned revamp goes live in a few weeks/months/years:thunk: and WvW matchups will pull from guilds instead of servers.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

orcane posted:

Without transfering, you can join goon guilds, but you can't play with them unless the other goon's account is also on one of the European servers. You can still chat, receive/send mail and items and you can use guild halls. But you can't join people in their instances of cities, open world maps, dungeons, etc.

However, you don't have to transfer to Maguuma to join goons, any of the US servers is fine to just play with people. The only exception is WvW, until the currently planned revamp goes live in a few weeks/months/years:thunk: and WvW matchups will pull from guilds instead of servers.

So the barrier is that I'm on the EU servers, not Maguuma specifically? Can any EU goons tell me how bad the latency is connecting to NA servers? I'm based in the UK fwiw.

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Saki posted:

So the barrier is that I'm on the EU servers, not Maguuma specifically? Can any EU goons tell me how bad the latency is connecting to NA servers? I'm based in the UK fwiw.

Some friends of mine the middle of the USA accidentally signed up on a EU server instead of NA and didn't notice until we tried to play together and figured out why we couldn't. Don't know if it'll be that good going the other direction, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saki posted:

Yeah the only hard barrier in GW2 is region, except in WvW which is the only place where server still matters.

I've been playing from Switzerland on Maguuma since launch, it's fine. The EU account I have doesn't feel meaningfully better in the content I do with it. If I get noticeable lag, usually everyone around me is also getting it because there are too many people hitting one popular world boss (eg. during reset Ley-line Anomaly, weaponskills just won't go off for basically anyone, doesn't matter if they're in the US).

I was told it's more noticeable in sPvP and I imagine DPS numbers in tryhard content will also be a bit better for fully optimized rotations/gameplay if you have 20ms ping instead of 150 but I don't play either of that.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im an EU player on Maguuma and ping is fine. Usually around 120ish.
I don’t pvp though so im not sure if it is too high to do that well.