Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

http://mythicspoiler.com/40k/index.html

40k spoilers being posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Vidmaster posted:

This is definitely the way to go, and is probably one of the most fun ways to play commander as the precons tend to be fairly evenly balanced. I have copies of all the precons sleeved up specifically for this reason, and have bought extra copies and made upgrades to the few that grabbed me the most. Hope your group enjoys it!

If you had to pick 4-6 of the precons, which ones would you suggest buying first? I've been looking for a good way for my friends and I to get into it and that seems like a balanced way.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Alright, here we go. First cEDH game ever.

Opponents on: Kaza, Roil Chaser; Teferi, Temporal Archmage; Sakashima and Krark
Me: Adeline, Resplendent Cathar

My opener:

The Deafening Silence ate a Mental Misstep and my Adeline got Into the Roiled, lol.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Alright, here we go. First cEDH game ever.

Opponents on: Kaza, Roil Chaser; Teferi, Temporal Archmage; Sakashima and Krark
Me: Adeline, Resplendent Cathar

My opener:

The Deafening Silence ate a Mental Misstep and my Adeline got Into the Roiled, lol.

Honestly, I T1 the Wayfarer there and bet that nobody cares enough to kill it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
As it goes. Just gotta roll with the punches.

And yeah, Wayfarer is so good but not threatening enough to draw interaction.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

For a second it really felt like I was going to live the dream on that first turn.

Krark bounced the Ethersworn Canonist and went off. Valiant effort by the Kaza player to stop him but it was too late.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 13, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Throwing this out there for more opinions. Finalized a new take on Emry for cEDH and wrote up a draft primer for it. Looking for any critiques (particularly for the primer) before I submit it to the DDB.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Batterypowered7 posted:

For a second it really felt like I was going to live the dream on that first turn.

Krark bounced the Ethersworn Canonist and went off. Valiant effort by the Kaza player to stop him but it was too late.

Living the dream on T1 would be setting up Signal Pest to then cast Adele on T2 and immediately generate tokens/value. Playing Adele on T1 has no value, but it DOES paint a big target on your head!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Living the dream on T1 would be setting up Signal Pest to then cast Adele on T2 and immediately generate tokens/value. Playing Adele on T1 has no value, but it DOES paint a big target on your head!

Yeah well I got excited and blew my load on the first turn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean that’s basically the flavor text on Jeweled Lotus, ur good buddy

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

goodness posted:

If you had to pick 4-6 of the precons, which ones would you suggest buying first? I've been looking for a good way for my friends and I to get into it and that seems like a balanced way.

I'm new and just parroting what I saw on YouTube but the professor seemed to like both the d&d baldurs gate precons and the new dominaria united precons. None are perfect and I'm not sure about relative power level but that's six decks and you can proxy better mana bases, which seems to be the most consistent complaint about the precons

Don't take this as gospel, I'm only responding because no one else has yet lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think every cycle of them has 1 dud, like the Strixhaven ones are all awesome except for the Blue/Red one which sucks

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

goodness posted:

Check out LRR MTG series elder dragon social club. Relatively new but they have played both the Capenna and Baldur's Gate pre-cons against one another so you can see if any speak to you.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

A lot of the bigger content creators usually duke it out with the precons right out of the box, right? I think Game Knights and Commander VS Live both do.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

goodness posted:

Echoing what others have said - New Capenna, Strixhaven, and Baldur's Gate all have pretty fun ones. I haven't tried the Dominaria United ones yet, but they seem cool. There's also the Warhammer 40K series releasing in about 3 weeks if that's of any interest - they have a lot of new cards specific for those decks which I think is neat, though I also recognize that the wh40k theme may be a turn-off to some people. The other consideration is always price - some of the decks like Kaldheim and the most recent Zendikar can be found for $20. Those cheap decks aren't amazing, but they're not total duds so it can be worth it just for the fun of jamming a couple matches and then modifying the deck with better cards. There are also a few years like Commander 2019 where 3 of the 4 decks can be had for $30-40 and the 4th is expensive because of one chase rare.

As for personal favorite precons over the years, mine are:
Counterpunch (2011)
Built From Scratch (2014)
Adaptive Enchantments (2018)
Faceless Menace (2019, this one can actually be had for cheap)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think every cycle of them has 1 dud, like the Strixhaven ones are all awesome except for the Blue/Red one which sucks

I'd say the Witherbloom deck was the bigger dud, it just didn't have much in the way of payoffs but it was a nice pile of cards to use for other decks. Prismari was more like two conflicting half-decks mashed together.

The best and most consistent one is the Lorehold deck though, because Osgir just puts in work

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I typically do precon upgrade guides on my channel but haven’t lately because new precons are so CONCISE. I like approaching precon upgrades from a “how can you turn this into something else” angle but lately new-gen precons just do one thing and do it REALLY WELL.

I found myself changing 4-8 cards in most lists then recommending a new mana base. That’s like it.

Great introductory product and it has value to entrenched players for reprints or new cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

I typically do precon upgrade guides on my channel but haven’t lately because new precons are so CONCISE. I like approaching precon upgrades from a “how can you turn this into something else” angle but lately new-gen precons just do one thing and do it REALLY WELL.

I found myself changing 4-8 cards in most lists then recommending a new mana base. That’s like it.

Great introductory product and it has value to entrenched players for reprints or new cards.

I think The Professor said one of the two Dominaria precons didn't know what it wanted to do. That one might be worth doing a video on if you're of the same mindset.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Balon posted:

Which cards would you recommend proxying first to improve mana bases (irrespective of cost)? I am going to sleeve up the four innistrad precons for a battlebox but I want to improve their speed with touching the spells too much. I'm subbing to your channel and will be a good little engagement piggy on videos.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Tyranid deck seems very laser focused on what it wants to do and only a few cards in there strike me as "We just wanted a tyranid themed legendary but it doesn't really mesh with the rest of the deck"

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

Which cards would you recommend proxying first to improve mana bases (irrespective of cost)? I am going to sleeve up the four innistrad precons for a battlebox but I want to improve their speed with touching the spells too much. I'm subbing to your channel and will be a good little engagement piggy on videos.

For basically any multi-colored deck I'd think you'd want to add OG duals, shocklands, fetches, triomes (if relevant), and battlebond duals as a starting point, then supplement with things like the M10 duals, temples, or other typed duals that weren't included. Things like mana confluence/city of brass, painlands, manlands, cavern of souls/mutavault, etc. can also be good additions depending on the deck and what it wants to do.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

For basically any multi-colored deck I'd think you'd want to add OG duals, shocklands, fetches, triomes (if relevant), and battlebond duals as a starting point, then supplement with things like the M10 duals, temples, or other typed duals that weren't included. Things like mana confluence/city of brass, painlands, manlands, cavern of souls/mutavault, etc. can also be good additions depending on the deck and what it wants to do.

Slow Lands over Temples, I think. Maybe the Tango Lands if you're only playing two colors and are more likely to have basics in play early.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My land base in almost every deck is:
Command Tower
ABUR duals
Shocklands
Fetches
City of Brass/Mana Confluence
Battlebond duals
Ancient Tomb
Exotic Orchard
Tarnished Citadel if 4+ colors, or 3+ and lots of pip requirements
Painlands if 2-3 colors
Basics

Then utility lands based on your colors and/or deck. Boseiju, Hall of the Bandit Lord, Urza's Saga, etc.

I personally just don't bother with any lands that ETBT anymore. There are so many options that there is no need to slow yourself down by a turn.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

OG duals/shocks/fetches/5C lands first, then triomes, bond lands and pain lands, then typed duals (bicycles, tango, etc)

Edit: goddamn it aranan

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you're proxying your manabase I would not play any duals that come in play tapped whatsoever except maybe triomes. All of the good duals that the others have listed, a couple utility lands if appropriate, and a decent amount of basics.

Basic lands are underrated. Play more basics.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Filters are underrated for 2-color decks imo

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks!

Painlands (recently reprinted, very cheap) and shock lands are typically good adds to any mana base. Versatile lands that generate any color of mana but don’t break the bank are awesome like exotic orchard but wizards has been doing a lot to include that in every precon lately.

True duals are never needed - I never build with them - but the more colors you’re playing (4+) the more I’d say fetches are required

E: I have a tweet from last year where I go over the ideal precon mana base let me see if I can dig it up

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

Filters are underrated for 2-color decks imo

They're not bad, and I play them sometimes, but the fact that they can't produce colored mana on their own is annoying. It means you can't keep one as your only land in an opener.

Rarely matters, but it's enough to keep them on the chopping block for me most of the time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

They're not bad, and I play them sometimes, but the fact that they can't produce colored mana on their own is annoying. It means you can't keep one as your only land in an opener.

Rarely matters, but it's enough to keep them on the chopping block for me most of the time.

Honestly there aren't that many 1-landers I'd keep anyway

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde
yeah i'm not gonna keep any one-landers without a Sol Ring anyway

but my concern with the filters is drawing two in a 3+ color deck

also they're clunky to use like the signets, and that's almost a dealbreaker by itself

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah i'm not gonna keep any one-landers without a Sol Ring anyway

but my concern with the filters is drawing two in a 3+ color deck

also they're clunky to use like the signets, and that's almost a dealbreaker by itself

I mean, yeah, but I specifically mentioned them for 2-color decks, where I think they are just fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would run Painlands before city of brass et al in 2 and three color decks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Toshimo posted:

I mean, yeah, but I specifically mentioned them for 2-color decks, where I think they are just fine.

oh yeah i agree completely, i hope they're still including them in the precons so they don't start actually costing money or anything

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah i agree completely, i hope they're still including them in the precons so they don't start actually costing money or anything

The two Dominaria United precons have filter lands, but they're the CIPT ones, not the "ping yourself for 1" ones.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When people say “filter lands” they are almost certainly talking about the Lorwyn/Morningtidet filters that etb untapped and make mana for free.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ah, my bad, I was under the impression that they were talking about those "tap, sac, find a land and put it into play tapped" lands.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Those are Slow Fetches

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

When people say “filter lands” they are almost certainly talking about the Lorwyn/Morningtidet filters that etb untapped and make mana for free.

Also the Odyssey ones.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I will never run the Odyssey ones. The Shadow more/Eventide cycle are the only ones I would ever consider.

There are just so many good lands these days that you can easily afford to be picky and only run the strong ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah i am out on the odyssey ones as well, even in two color decks they don't really fix me the way I'm often looking for, which is double or triple pips like Torbran or invokes. They all look sick as gently caress though, the art for rare lands back then is still unparalled, IMO