Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

How have current ThinkPads with AMD cpus been with Linux these days? Gonna be buying a new work laptop, and it'll be running Debian. Though, might be waiting for Zen4 and I guess stuff could change, still feeling things out though.

Someone in the AMD thread mentioned some kind of battery issues with ThinkPads and Linux?

ThinkPads make the most sense for me for a bunch of reasons (one being anything else anyone suggests is probably more expensive or less accessible here cuz I live in China, but Lenovo is obviously everywhere and they're the only Chinese brand I even begin to trust) but I don't wanna have to make a bunch of sacrifices just to run Debian.

I'm open to a bunch of different Thinkpad models, but I just want the AMD ones, mostly because I'll be running VMs on it so multithreaded performance is a plus and cuz better igpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Anyone on 5000 series AMD thinking of upgrading to AM5 has more money than sense tbqh. I probably don't upgrade CPUs sooner than 5-7 years after purchase.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BrainDance posted:

How have current ThinkPads with AMD cpus been with Linux these days? Gonna be buying a new work laptop, and it'll be running Debian. Though, might be waiting for Zen4 and I guess stuff could change, still feeling things out though.

Someone in the AMD thread mentioned some kind of battery issues with ThinkPads and Linux?

ThinkPads make the most sense for me for a bunch of reasons (one being anything else anyone suggests is probably more expensive or less accessible here cuz I live in China, but Lenovo is obviously everywhere and they're the only Chinese brand I even begin to trust) but I don't wanna have to make a bunch of sacrifices just to run Debian.

I'm open to a bunch of different Thinkpad models, but I just want the AMD ones, mostly because I'll be running VMs on it so multithreaded performance is a plus and cuz better igpu.

Check this: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad

Or Google the specific distro you want to use and and specific Lenovo model you want to use it on. It is usually pretty well documented.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

Anyone on 5000 series AMD thinking of upgrading to AM5 has more money than sense tbqh. I probably don't upgrade CPUs sooner than 5-7 years after purchase.
This was only true during the sandy/ivy era imo. We have seen more progress in the past few years than in the 8 or so years after that generation.

With that said, 3d stacked zen4 or zen5 seem like the point to hop on rather than the initial launch.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

ijyt posted:

Playing with the idea but you're right, it is pretty frivolous. I think Zen5 will be a saner decision, both in terms of DDR5 price/performance, AM5 maturity and we'll know who made good motherboards this generation by that time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Khorne posted:

This was only true during the sandy/ivy era imo. We have seen more progress in the past few years than in the 8 or so years after that generation.

The progress in CPU performance since 2018 has been fantastic, but the question is always what are you doing with it and what is the effect on your experience? Relatively few games are CPU-bound, and a lot of people don't do anything CPU heavy for their professional apps.

Anyways I think the biggest determiner of how frequently someone should upgrade is how much they tolerate ebay & paypal. If you can sell your $500 CPU for $400, buying a new $500 CPU is pretty reasonable. When a non-ebayer like me buys a $500 CPU, I need to keep it for at least 5 years to come out ahead.

OTOH it only takes one bad experience selling a $500 CPU for $0 to turn that accounting around.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
facebook market for cash is better if you live in a city, although thus far i ain't been scammed yet. don't like selling anything over about a hundro on ebay.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I was still rocking an FX-8350 up until about two years ago when I jumped to a 3700x and the difference was astounding, probably going to run this current CPU for many years to come. Recently we have been making pretty big generational jumps again though which is great!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Noobles posted:

I was still rocking an FX-8350 up until about two years ago when I jumped to a 3700x and the difference was astounding, probably going to run this current CPU for many years to come. Recently we have been making pretty big generational jumps again though which is great!

I had been on a 4820k up until I upgraded to a 3800x. Now I'm on a 5900x and I'm going to stick with this for at least a couple generations. Especially since we are getting into DDR5 territory. I don't have a pressing need to upgrade and I'll give it a couple years for the kinks to get worked out of both DDR5 and also AM5. I'm sure there will be some Zen 1-style growing pains to get over.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was on a Phenom II 965 BE up until my first covid stimulus in 2020 allowed me to finally upgrade. I intentionally built the machine with an upgrade path in mind, and this year I jumped from the 3600X to a 5800X3D.

I'm in better financial shape now than I was in 2020, so the additional cost was fine and now I have a machine which is near the top of the line and I can comfortably wait for DDR5 to mature before feeling like upgrading again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I went from an FX-8350 (2012) to a Ryzen 1800X (2017) and while I'm at a bit over 5 years with this computer I'm not feeling desperate for an upgrade. Though I'm tempted by DDR5 and PCIe5 NVMe SSDs...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BattleMaster posted:

I went from an FX-8350 (2012) to a Ryzen 1800X (2017) and while I'm at a bit over 5 years with this computer I'm not feeling desperate for an upgrade. Though I'm tempted by DDR5 and PCIe5 NVMe SSDs...

Fwiw, I went from a 2700x to a 5950x and even Windows was noticeably more responsive. Granted, I still had a pcie3 SSD, but it was also the Optane 905p, so still extremely speedy.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
They can't even fully take advantage of pcie4 NVME storage. Ps5 can because they rolled their own proprietary solution.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Went from a 4770K to a 5900X, and the 4770K was upgraded from a Q9450 (which was the only time I upgraded earlier than the usual 5 years, from an E8400).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
4790K is showing it's age at 1080p60 VP9/H265/AV1 software decode.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think either my CPU or motherboard is dying. I restarted today and got into a boot loop. It wouldn't post until the computer was off for a bit, then it booted up just fine. I've had weird, persistent issues with whole-system stuttering, glitches when going in and out of fullscreen, trouble waking up my displays from sleep (the PC doesn't go to sleep, but it will still lock up and require a hard reboot when attempting to wake a sleeping monitor), and other erratic system behavior. When my PC was in a boot loop today, it was getting stuck with a red diagnosis LED on CPU. What's odd is that the system passes all stress tests and my memory has cleared multiple memory tests. I was running Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and the frame rate graph there gives the perfect example of the stuttering:

It happens at very regular intervals, but it doesn't happen 100% of the time. Many games are perfectly smooth, but some are not. And youtube video is also erratic—sometimes it's perfectly smooth, other times it does this exact same stuttering. It sometimes feels like a GPU issue, but the GPU is otherwise rock solid, and the diagnosis LED seemed to indicate a CPU problem when I was having trouble booting (which could easily also be a motherboard problem). I've turned off the curve optimizer and the only overclocking feature I have enabled is my memory's XMP profile.

AMD really needs to hurry up with Zen 4 3D so I can throw this cursed computer into a volcano and forget about it. I dunno if I can wait until late Q1 2023.

edit: The stuttering stopped after closing chrome, but this still doesn't explain the other issues i've been experiencing...

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 13, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think either my CPU or motherboard is dying.

An otherwise-functional CPU is pretty much the last thing I'd ever blame, by statistical failure rate. And the diagnostics led just means the bios got stuck on the CPU initialization step for whatever reason. In a complete system that isn't indicative that the CPU is bad; another component producing enough garbage can gently caress the boot at any stage. Trust diagnostic leds when doing diagnostic procedures (ie stripping things down to isolate problems).

Things I would be looking at before CPU & mobo:

1. Software. The boot loop thing is hardware, but if that has only happened the one time it's hard to say whether it's real. Anything can happen once. Everything else is plausibly software. Have you at least run through a DDU clean and reinstall of GPU drivers? If this is the same system that you were on beta / insider W11 builds, then uh, have you considered an OS reinstall?

2. PSU. When I see a PC with a weirdo list of symptoms that don't point in any particular direction other than "my computer is haunted by vengeful ghosts", I swap out the PSU and see if the ghosts go away. A bad PSU can do practically anything and you can spend a week trying to isolate it by testing other stuff. That is why I frequently say that a spare PSU is a wonderful thing to have.

3. GPU. Most of the worst problems sound GPU-centric more than anything. A hard lock while trying to resume monitor, and glitches with games & video playback, those don't sound like anything CPU or mobo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do you have a negative CO offset set?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think either my CPU or motherboard is dying.

I don't remember clearly, but what brand motherboard are you using? I vaguely want to say Gigabyte, but could be totally wrong. Partly because I have a Gigabyte board, I'd suggest checking the BIOS and seeing if an upgrade or downgrade helps even things out. On this machine I've had to do that process in the past because a beta BIOS a year or more ago caused goofy poo poo like what you describe that went away after I downgraded to an older BIOS.

Edit: If memory serves you turned off fTPM, right? Is memory isolation still on? And I am not familiar with Windows 10 Business Edition but a quick search suggests it is linked to Microsoft 365 cloud services - is there anything in the control panel for that which could be doing something screwy?

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 13, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

They can't even fully take advantage of pcie4 NVME storage. Ps5 can because they rolled their own proprietary solution.

How proprietary are we talking? Was it like the equivalent of a highly-optimized userspace driver or something that could theoretically be done with a PC or did they make special hardware for talking to it?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

How proprietary are we talking? Was it like the equivalent of a highly-optimized userspace driver or something that could theoretically be done with a PC or did they make special hardware for talking to it?

There's a lot to it, including custom I/O and off-processor storage-to-gpu direct paths, including compression. All in this Cerny video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8LyNIT9sg

Go ahead and watch it, you know you want to hear that smooth delivery.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

I'm really happy with my plain ole 5800X. I was almost enticed by the 5800X. Realistically I'll probably "upgrade" when the next 3D stacked chips come. :shobon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No negative CO offset, no fTPM, no memory isolation, Asus ROG Strix B550-F WiFi, latest BIOS (the problems were happening with an earlier bios version too).

I DDU'ed the nvidia drivers and reinstalled them, also nuked Chrome and am using firefox. Everything seems more responsive now, but we'll see how things go from here. Maybe it was a GPU driver issue and not something wrong with my CPU/mobo, but the boot problem was weird. That's actually the second time I ran into boot issues that were solved by just waiting a little while and trying again—the first was a couple months ago. I'm not sure I care enough to bother troubleshooting the problem further if windows stays stable and smooth.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 14, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The random POST issues may be a RAM thing, are you running an OC of any sort? Do you have fast boot enabled?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The random POST issues may be a RAM thing, are you running an OC of any sort? Do you have fast boot enabled?

I'm just running the XMP profile, which has worked fine for the last couple years. I do have fast boot enabled, I think. I did memory tests with RAM Test and memtest86, and both came back clean (doing several full passes in each).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No POST could be a RAM training failure which is a bit different from (but of course is related to) after boot stability.

Reseating the GPU can fix some bizarre intermittent stuff, and the GPU is required to initialize for the POST to complete because . I guess from slowly losing contact due to GPU sag?

Finally there is always the PSU, voltage droops can do weird stuff.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I think either my CPU or motherboard is dying. I restarted today and got into a boot loop. It wouldn't post until the computer was off for a bit, then it booted up just fine. I've had weird, persistent issues with whole-system stuttering, glitches when going in and out of fullscreen, trouble waking up my displays from sleep (the PC doesn't go to sleep, but it will still lock up and require a hard reboot when attempting to wake a sleeping monitor), and other erratic system behavior. When my PC was in a boot loop today, it was getting stuck with a red diagnosis LED on CPU. What's odd is that the system passes all stress tests and my memory has cleared multiple memory tests. I was running Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and the frame rate graph there gives the perfect example of the stuttering:

It happens at very regular intervals, but it doesn't happen 100% of the time. Many games are perfectly smooth, but some are not. And youtube video is also erratic—sometimes it's perfectly smooth, other times it does this exact same stuttering. It sometimes feels like a GPU issue, but the GPU is otherwise rock solid, and the diagnosis LED seemed to indicate a CPU problem when I was having trouble booting (which could easily also be a motherboard problem). I've turned off the curve optimizer and the only overclocking feature I have enabled is my memory's XMP profile.

AMD really needs to hurry up with Zen 4 3D so I can throw this cursed computer into a volcano and forget about it. I dunno if I can wait until late Q1 2023.

edit: The stuttering stopped after closing chrome, but this still doesn't explain the other issues i've been experiencing...

I experienced similar weird stuttering that went away completely when I disabled sleep in windows, when my machine woke from sleep everything went to hell. The failing to POST thing does sound like failing to train the ram.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alright, this is probably dumb, but have you tried changing the button battery? CR 2051 or whatever the designation is?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1570004798203899906

I'm not sure what these metrics really translate to, but comparing the alleged scores to the i9-12900K

Whetstone Double: 428 vs 385 (7900X is 10.5% higher)
Whetstone Single: 516 vs 496 (3.9% higher)
Dhrystone Long: 918 vs 703 (26.5% higher)
Dhrystone Int: 886 vs 694 (24.3% higher)

and against the 5900X

Whetstone Double: 428 vs 324 (27.6% higher)
Whetstone Single: 516 vs 388 (28.3% higher)
Dhrystone Long: 918 vs 594 (42.8% higher)
Dhrystone Int: 886 vs 589 (40.2% higher)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also nuked Chrome and am using firefox

This is what resolved your problem, as I’ve been telling people for a decade. Trust me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: wrong thread, oops

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not sure what these metrics really translate to, but comparing the alleged scores to the i9-12900K

Whetstone Double: 428 vs 385 (7900X is 10.5% higher)
Whetstone Single: 516 vs 496 (3.9% higher)
Dhrystone Long: 918 vs 703 (26.5% higher)
Dhrystone Int: 886 vs 694 (24.3% higher)

and against the 5900X

Whetstone Double: 428 vs 324 (27.6% higher)
Whetstone Single: 516 vs 388 (28.3% higher)
Dhrystone Long: 918 vs 594 (42.8% higher)
Dhrystone Int: 886 vs 589 (40.2% higher)

Dang, it's been at least 15 years since I thought about SiSoftware benchmarks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I'm just running the XMP profile, which has worked fine for the last couple years. I do have fast boot enabled, I think. I did memory tests with RAM Test and memtest86, and both came back clean (doing several full passes in each).

XMP can still zap your memory controller with enough voltage to kill it over time, the board is allowed to apply additional voltage to bring XMP/DOCP into stability since it’s above the official spec. I killed a 9900K running XMP settings, and it manifested a lot like that. Trouble getting through POST, occasional bluescreen crashes in games etc, and over time it got worse and more frequent.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

XMP can still zap your memory controller with enough voltage to kill it over time, the board is allowed to apply additional voltage to bring XMP/DOCP into stability since it’s above the official spec. I killed a 9900K running XMP settings, and it manifested a lot like that. Trouble getting through POST, occasional bluescreen crashes in games etc, and over time it got worse and more frequent.

XMP didn't really do it, it was just memory that failed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can absolutely burn out the IMC on modern CPUs through voltage and some motherboards do crazy things by default.

Maybe post a zentimings with the XMP settings to see if anything is crazy?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Another thing some idiotic mobos do is push the FSB up by 1-2% so they score ever so slightly higher on mobo review roundups. A lot of the time it's a thing they enable secretly in the background when you turn on XMP. Running the FSB high can produce crappy behavior like stutters and whatnot if a pcie device doesn't like being run out of spec.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Looks like Zen 4 is really good in Userbenchmark, which means they're really gonna have to do some creative re-weighing to make sure it loses to Raptor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMDs kinda trying too hard?

the vibes are off

-20% score penalty

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Userbenchmark: "If you ignore the shills and play games at 720p locked to 30fps (as God intended) you can clearly see that even Intel 6th generation chips outperform so-called "Ryzen" 7000 series processors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

repiv posted:

AMDs kinda trying too hard?

the vibes are off

-20% score penalty

Why do bash "Userbenchmark" for blatant favoritism but we never question if AMD has bad vibes?