Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

It is smart to be aware of relative advantages and disadvantages different groups of people have in society to be able to more correctly identify cause, effect, consequences, actions, etc.

But on the other hand dwelling and obsessing over how you and/or others are victims of society, as goons are wont to do, is not really productive and doesn't really improve your life. If anything it makes your life worse, and can cause you to develop a persecution complex.

yeah most goons confuse self pity with solidarity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i didnt read all those meandering posts but if the point is that you have control over your outlook and your bearing regardless of circumstances then i agree

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

This is the worst post in this whole thread

If you sincerely believe that you need to find a new therapist DPQ.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Warhammer 40,000 is by far the best of the big western sci-fi franchises

it's lame actually

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
I’ve been speaking of the average person specifically in writing which has me wondering if people are actually reading or if they hit the reply button halfway through a post. The average person on an average day in their life is able to choose to be happy with their life or not choose to be happy with their life. Truly the most unpopular opinion in this thread is that most people have control over their thoughts, emotions, and overall outlook in life.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i agree then

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

Warhammer 40,000 is by far the best of the big western sci-fi franchises

I don't know about the "best" but it is shameless "all of them".

Scrub Warhammer nerd loves the lore

Baby Warhammer nerd tried to be "deep" and say it stole from Dune

Teenage Warhammer nerd talks about Michael Moorcock

Real Warhammer fans talk about how it joyfully steals from everything and that is wonderful.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Warhammer fans are weird

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Warhammer fans are weird

While true I'm not sure this position belongs in this thread.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Irregardless posted:

Truly the most unpopular opinion in this thread is that most people have control over their thoughts, emotions, and overall outlook in life.

No ones saying that. They're saying its pointless/insulting to simply tell people to have a more positive outlook because everyone has already though of that.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm choosing to read Irregardless's posts and it's making me unhappy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

he's right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

2nd Amendment posted:

I don't know about the "best" but it is shameless "all of them".

Scrub Warhammer nerd loves the lore

Baby Warhammer nerd tried to be "deep" and say it stole from Dune

Teenage Warhammer nerd talks about Michael Moorcock

Real Warhammer fans talk about how it joyfully steals from everything and that is wonderful.

caring about "stealing" is for losers. Most of what Warhammer "stole" is done better in Warhammer than in the original anyway

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I got real high once and found myself watching a bunch of Warhammer 40k lore videos on YouTube. I gotta say, it does sound like a big dumb really fun game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Robobot posted:

I got real high once and found myself watching a bunch of Warhammer 40k lore videos on YouTube. I gotta say, it does sound like a big dumb really fun game.

you should get really high and try reading the warhammer rulebook and then see if it still sounds a)dumb b)fun

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Robobot posted:

Loads of my friends got into it after hitting their late 30s. I chose the guitar skill tree instead, but I loving love seeing them show off their goofy little army men and hearing them tell me about how the emperor had a jet made out of baby bones fuelled by Angel blood or whatever.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got quite into it over lockdown (one of my IRL friends has been nuts about it since he was like 8)

I had a lot of fun with it buts its very much like when people don't want to play MOBAs or World of Warcraft because of the time investment, when someone has played it for years you are always pissing uphill

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

it's lame actually

Also it isn't actually "big" by any sane definition.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also it isn't actually "big" by any sane definition.

It's the most popular tabletop miniature war game in the world, it's massively influential in sci-fi, there are hundreds of Warhammer novels, and there are hundreds of Warhammer stores across the world.

Are there any Stargate stores? No. There are no Stargate stores.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean, the poo poo it rips off is influential I guess

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

hawowanlawow posted:

I mean, the poo poo it rips off is influential I guess

Star Wars blatantly ripped off a bunch of things that nobody remembers or respects, but it remains relevant to nerds today because that new remix was cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People absolutely respect kurosawa

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gaius Marius posted:

People absolutely respect kurosawa

Kurosa-who?

And anyway, there are tons of Stargate stories: https://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Stargate-SG-1/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you see a scene in any non-Abrams Star Wars movie and don't immediately recognize what film it's an homage to, you need to go retake History of Film 101A.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Abrams movies being too obvious cause every scene is the new hope we have at home

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It's the most popular tabletop miniature war game in the world, it's massively influential in sci-fi, there are hundreds of Warhammer novels, and there are hundreds of Warhammer stores across the world.

Are there any Stargate stores? No. There are no Stargate stores.

Yeah but people who shower regularly have heard of Stargate.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah but people who shower regularly have heard of Stargate.

Genuinely doubt this one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Canadian government needs to give Geddy Lee ten million Canadian dollars to write a version of Take Off with full lyrics to replace the spoken word bits, and then make that the national anthem and theme song of Canada.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Genuinely doubt this one

It's on TV like every other month. When is Warhammer on TV?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's on TV like every other month. When is Warhammer on TV?

Stargate ran 37 seasons based entirely on being on in the background while people did other stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Stargate ran 37 seasons based entirely on being on in the background while people did other stuff.

Oh they made a series? Cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Everyone in this line is an absolute irredeemable freak. And the elderly who die in it would probably want that to be how they died.

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1570021094933016576?s=46&t=SarB1fR3iGEp9LaMuXu8Bg

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Goons are too quick to condemn others as freaks or abnormal. Tbh it often looks like a defense mechanism—you can’t call me weird if I denounce you first

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Goons are too quick to condemn others as freaks or abnormal. Tbh it often looks like a defense mechanism—you can’t call me weird if I denounce you first

Oh, are you in the queue now?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
On the one hand the queen, as a royal, was born actually better than everyone else and more important and rich and powerful to the world and everyone who matters.

On the other lol she's dead. I hope they somehow accidentally give me specifically all of her money and power.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aramek posted:

On the one hand the queen, as a royal, was born actually better than everyone else and more important and rich and powerful to the world and everyone who matters.

On the other lol she's dead. I hope they somehow accidentally give me specifically all of her money and power.

We will if you answer your goddamned phone already

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
IMPHUO, almost all of those people mourning the queen are happy they got to participate in a rare queen-mourning. It's like a tourist attraction. They should sell t-shirts and mugs.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sgt Pepper’s is not the Beatles’ best album by a long shot. If you want the Beatles at their creative peak, listen to Rubber Soul and Revolver, both better albums than Pepper.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And if you want to listen to a great album instead of British mediocrity you listen to Pet Sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There are far better examples of great albums than Pet Sounds. Are You Experienced, for example.