Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Meatball posted:

Can the house send their J6 info over to the senate, and have the senate take the baton?

They plan to issue their final report by the end of the year. Everyone's expectation the day this legislative term started was Dems would lose the house in 2022, and they know a Republican house will kill the commission as their first act, if it's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marco Rubio is also co-sponsoring Graham’s bill which isn’t at all surprising

It probably helps that the last poll in his Senate race had him up 9 points

Val Demmings makes Rubio out to be a cop-defunding layabout who hardly ever shows up to vote while she promises an endless money funnel to police because she'll show up to vote to give them more money at every opportunity.

I can't imagine why she's trailing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
because Florida is a Republican leaning state and Rubio is an uncontroversial incumbent

Rubio leading the polls by 4% in these conditions is uh, not very impressive

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lib and let die posted:

Val Demmings makes Rubio out to be a cop-defunding layabout who hardly ever shows up to vote while she promises an endless money funnel to police because she'll show up to vote to give them more money at every opportunity.

I can't imagine why she's trailing.

Do voters in Florida vote solely based on police funding, with no regards given to any other issues/what party a candidate is/etc? That would surprise me, but I live on the other side of the country so I might just not know their political scene very well.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kalit posted:

Do voters in Florida vote solely based on police funding, with no regards given to any other issues/what party a candidate is/etc? That would surprise me, but I live on the other side of the country so I might just not know their political scene very well.

The protestors that got gassed by Ft Lauderdale police care, I guarantee you that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The president of Florida going hog wild on the two giant levers sticking out of his desk, POLICE FUNDING and DISNEY WOKENESS

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

The president of Florida going hog wild on the two giant levers sticking out of his desk, POLICE FUNDING and DISNEY WOKENESS

There has to be a Third Way™.

"Biracial Princesses for some, miniature police cars for others."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The FBI is now investigating Brett Favre for his role in the Mississippi welfare fraud scandal with the former Governor.

Favre had previously said he knew nothing about it and returned the money, but the text messages released today, while not 100% conclusive, indicate that he seemed to be aware of the situation.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1569856468291125249

Favre also put out a statement defending himself:

quote:

As I have said before, I would never accept money for no-show appearances, as the state of Mississippi auditor claims.

I am doing all that I can to support this investigation to make things right for the people of Mississippi and I have shared all that I know, which is that I was paid for three years of commercials that I did, and I paid taxes on the money, as I should.

Of course the money was returned because I would never knowingly take funds meant to help our neighbors in need, but for Shad White to continue to push out this lie that the money was for no-show events is something I cannot stay silent about.

Despite all efforts to seek clarification with the auditor, he has never granted a call back or a meeting with me, but has instead only repeatedly run to the media.

Prioritizing sensational headlines over seeking truth is doing a disservice to the people of our great state who deserve answers and a resolution.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The FBI is now investigating Brett Favre for his role in the Mississippi welfare fraud scandal with the former Governor.

Favre had previously said he knew nothing about it and returned the money, but the text messages released today, while not 100% conclusive, indicate that he seemed to be aware of the situation.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1569856468291125249

Favre also put out a statement defending himself:

He also did not pay the money back immediately. If I recall correctly it took him a lot of time to pay it back even when this initially broke to the public. He denied everything initially and didn't want to give the money back at all.

edit: also I'm selling my Favre signed football in SA Mart if anyone wants it :). I worked on a few commercials with him and even directed one!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 14, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BonoMan posted:

It also took a lot of time and effort to get him to pay the money back if I recall. It wasn't just "oof whoops.. here ya go!" He's been defensive about the whole thing and didn't want to give it back.

i thought he was absolutely like oof whoops, i'll return it

he just, you know, didn't actually then do it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evilweasel posted:

Yeah it looks like he paid $500K back pretty quickly and then stalled on the rest.

edit: and he also outright said he has never been paid for appearances he didn't fulfill but that looks like an outright lie

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BonoMan posted:

He also did not pay the money back immediately. If I recall correctly it took him a lot of time to pay it back even when this initially broke to the public. He denied everything initially and didn't want to give the money back at all.

edit: also I'm selling my Favre signed football in SA Mart if anyone wants it :). I worked on a few commercials with him and even directed one!

Mr. BonoMan, what did you know about the welfare football and when did you know it

Anyway, it's not a shocker at this point to rediscover Brett Favre is an idiot rear end in a top hat, unfortunately

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
John Madden spinning in his grave like a football thrown with the laser-guided missile-like power and precision of Brett Favre.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

Right but not until the story came out

And then he’s now claiming that he would never take money to not do something but it’s pretty well proven that he did?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BonoMan posted:

Yeah it looks like he paid $500K back pretty quickly and then stalled on the rest.

It's super weird that the people who were very upset about how quickly Amber Heard paid for her commitments seem to be quiet about Favre.

I'm bewildered as to why.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right but not until the story came out

And then he’s now claiming that he would never take money to not do something but it’s pretty well proven that he did?

This is America, if the contract states I get something for nothing, how can I be in the wrong?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1569697406215950340

putting aside whether or not Biden is or is not undermining labor with these plans (i believe he is), this has some real starting-your-term-paper-the-night-before-it's-due energy. It seems ridiculous that he is only now starting to form these plans.

Also, considering that coal and gas are transported by rail, exactly how many days into the strike will rolling brownouts or even blackouts start? to say nothing of wastewater management.

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, he hasn't "just started" doing anything.

Did you even read the article?

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article257699918.html

quote:

Federal court grants restraining order on BNSF union worker strike. What happens next?
BY MEGAN CARDONA UPDATED JANUARY 25, 2022 3:50 PM

A Fort Worth federal court has granted a restraining order blocking two unions representing BNSF Railway conductors and engineers from a planned strike on Feb. 1. The Star-Telegram previously reported that a lawyer for BNSF said if the strike were allowed to go forward, BNSF would take a financial hit that it wouldn’t be able to recover in arbitration.

This has been a continuous issue since last year, in the run up to the current contract's enactment/renewal in January, which federal courts decided did not constitute a "valid grievance" which would allow a strike.

So sure, they started putting effort into this two months ago, but there has been a lot more brewing since January that they let go on.

Personally, if freight rail is "Too important for the security of the nation/economy" to allow a strike, then it's too important to be left to private business. The owners are causing this problem, they're the people who need to be solved. But of course they're just going to gently caress over the workers.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Their is no contingency, you cannot run a train without a trained engineer (or destroying a lot of value when your idiot fucks up and sends 30 cars of hazmat flying off the rails/ into a different 30 car train at 100mph), and they are already so cut to the bone they cant take proper vacations.

Your options are literally forcing them all to work at gunpoint or forcing the RR execs to capitulate.

To touch on just how hosed they are, lets look at just the engineers in this case:

Engineers don't just feather a throttle while the train goes along the rails. They are immensely complex machines and:

- Engineers are trained on specific models
- Engineers are trained how to operate those models for specific loads (tonnage)
- Engineers are trained how to operate those models for specific loads (consumer, hazmat, liquids, etc)
- Engineers are trained on specific routes (and then the permutations on those routes, loads, types, models of train, etc)

It's almost more complicated than being an airline pilot. You simply cannot spin up someone into an engineer of such specific expertise within a couple of years much less weeks needed to minimize damage. You can't even try to bring in engineers from other areas with more than minimum success because the trains and routes and load requirements are so exacting. And that's if you want to ignore federal/state safety regulations which also require the engineers to have the proper certifications showing the above training. Even if you had a dude who is good on 90% of that, if they don't have the certs you're still hosed. With the estimate being 2 Billion dollars a day, you don't have a couple of weeks to train up scabs.

And remember: this is one position among the many other, just as specialized, positions being discussed striking.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden and Pete Buttigieg are at the North American International Auto Show to make some transportation announcements.

Secretary Mayor Pete is giving his speech later tonight and is expected to be announcing:

- A new "pro-consumer crackdown" on airlines to require them to cover hotel rooms, food, and rebooking for free if they delay or bump passengers from a flight.

- New rules to require automatic refunds of carry on fees and Wi-Fi fees if the flight is delayed or the services go out during a flight.

- Unspecified "more rules to protect airline passengers even further."

- An official government web page and promotion of the "dashboard" scoring airlines on compliance and collecting information on how often they fail various metrics for customer treatment.

- The results of a DOT investigation into 10 different airlines over delayed or withheld passenger refunds and "enforcement actions" against them.

Biden just announced that the feds will be spending $900 million across 35 states to make sure the federal highway system has electric vehicle chargers available across all major highways in the U.S. by 2024.

There was also a bunch of less interesting stuff about commitments from several car companies to manufacture their electric vehicles in the U.S. starting next year.

quote:

In an address on media day at the North American International Auto Show, Biden announced $900 million in grants for electric vehicle chargers across 35 states, including Michigan, the first round of $5 billion in funding appropriated through the bipartisan infrastructure law.

"You all are going to be part of a network of 500,000 charging stations ... installed by the IBEW (labor union), who I owe a special thanks to for the last election," the Democratic president said.

Biden added: "The great American road trip is going to be fully electrified whether you're driving along the coast ... or on I-75 here in Michigan."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2022/09/14/president-biden-tour-detroit-auto-show-tout-electric-vehicle-vision/10372794002/
https://news.yahoo.com/biden-touts-u-crackdown-airlines-223006878.html

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Charger network is a good move, same with the airline stuff. But planes suck.

Where's my national HSR President Trains? WHERE IS IT

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Jaxyon posted:

Where's my national HSR President Trains? WHERE IS IT

B.C.'s Premier Horgan is trying to show us up: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-funds-3rd-high-speed-rail-study-to-u-s-1.6582003

E: I was curious how much of the infrastructure bill was going towards high speed train, looks like CA got $25 million of it: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-administration-touts-1-trillion-infrastructure-bill-2022-08-19/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Amtrak just announced that they are cancelling all long-distance/multi-day train rides and refunding tickets starting tomorrow in anticipation of a railway strike this weekend. These are mostly routes that go from Chicago to Los Angeles, Seattle, and San Francisco.

The Northeast Corridor (where the overwhelming majority of Amtrak traffic occurs) and short-term/less than a day rides are not impacted and will continue normal service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/09/13/amtrak-passenger-trains-rail-strike/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 14, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it bad that I'm kinda hoping the rail tunnel under the Hudson River collapses and fucks all East Coast rail just to teach everyone involved a lesson and further humiliate Chris Christie

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crain posted:

[url].

Personally, if freight rail is "Too important for the security of the nation/economy" to allow a strike, then it's too important to be left to private business. T.

Admitting the validity of this logic would mean admitting we need to nationalize everything from time Warner to Amazon

I mean you aren't wrong but we live in a system which cannot admit you are correct while continuing to exist as currently constituted

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Crain posted:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article257699918.html

This has been a continuous issue since last year, in the run up to the current contract's enactment/renewal in January, which federal courts decided did not constitute a "valid grievance" which would allow a strike.

So sure, they started putting effort into this two months ago, but there has been a lot more brewing since January that they let go on.

Personally, if freight rail is "Too important for the security of the nation/economy" to allow a strike, then it's too important to be left to private business. The owners are causing this problem, they're the people who need to be solved. But of course they're just going to gently caress over the workers.

To touch on just how hosed they are, lets look at just the engineers in this case:

Engineers don't just feather a throttle while the train goes along the rails. They are immensely complex machines and:

- Engineers are trained on specific models
- Engineers are trained how to operate those models for specific loads (tonnage)
- Engineers are trained how to operate those models for specific loads (consumer, hazmat, liquids, etc)
- Engineers are trained on specific routes (and then the permutations on those routes, loads, types, models of train, etc)

It's almost more complicated than being an airline pilot. You simply cannot spin up someone into an engineer of such specific expertise within a couple of years much less weeks needed to minimize damage. You can't even try to bring in engineers from other areas with more than minimum success because the trains and routes and load requirements are so exacting. And that's if you want to ignore federal/state safety regulations which also require the engineers to have the proper certifications showing the above training. Even if you had a dude who is good on 90% of that, if they don't have the certs you're still hosed. With the estimate being 2 Billion dollars a day, you don't have a couple of weeks to train up scabs.

And remember: this is one position among the many other, just as specialized, positions being discussed striking.

What is your basis for claiming nothing has been done before July? There's nothing in the WAPO article that claims or even suggests they're giving an exhaustive list of everything that the administration has done for the entire history of the problem. Characterizing it as saying the administration has done nothing up to this point (or even nothing up until July) is a complete misrepresentation of the source.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I can't wait for the people who describe teaching as a seasonal babysitting job to explain how running a freights train is sitting in a chair while the whole thing runs on rails.

Crain posted:

Yeah it sounds to me like probably the rail companies should do whatever the hell the employees are asking for.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Baltimore prosecutors are asking for Adnan Syed from the Serial podcast (8 years after the podcast and 22 years after the original conviction) to be released from jail and have his conviction vacated pending further investigation.

They have not fully cleared him, but new evidence has determined that there are two additional potential suspects and they say that he should not be serving a life sentence if they aren't 100% sure he is guilty. Part of the new evidence implicating two other people (who are not being named because they are being investigated) was not properly disclosed in 1999 and other evidence was properly disclosed, but future information revealed context that made it important to the case (one of the new suspects had a relative who used to live in a house near where the body was originally discovered).

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1570092529063714817

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean I wouldn't be surprised if you could put people through a boot camp to teach them how to do it well enough for a usual work day, but that would open up a whole can of worms on its own if you ever applied it more widely (like you can probably get people started in like six to twelve months in a lot of stuff and then just guide them through with a more experienced worker until they're ready to do things more independently).

Can't admit that actually everyone has roughly the same ability to do any real job and it's just a matter of if they receive support to do it and to be given work to do rather than some ephemeral method of deciding worth (that's just did your uncle give you the job) that's supposed to decide if you deserve to live or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A bunch of crazy non-policy announcements that seem coordinated just happened after Biden's speech at the Detroit Auto Show.

The federal government has been pressuring manufacturers to crack down on dealerships setting prices above MSRP and other business practices that might make people less likely to adopt electric cars. Several automakers have announced that they are "following the guidance" and just took a huge club to car dealerships.

- Ford has agreed to require all of its dealerships to set no-haggle pricing and invest $1.2 million into subsidizing financing for EVs or else they can't sell EVs at their dealership.

- Buick just offered to buy out every single one of its American dealerships so it can "standardize pricing and business practices for Buicks" in the country.

- All major U.S. automakers agreed to include a 10-year warranty on their EV batteries for all new EVs sold at their dealerships in the United States (they are required by law to provide 6 years for cars sold through 2029, but are voluntarily increasing it to 10 years with no defined end).

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1570131714860797954

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- All major U.S. automakers agreed to include a 10-year warranty on their EV batteries for all new EVs sold at their dealerships.[/b]

this along with the interstate charger network are both great

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jarmak posted:

What is your basis for claiming nothing has been done before July? There's nothing in the WAPO article that claims or even suggests they're giving an exhaustive list of everything that the administration has done for the entire history of the problem. Characterizing it as saying the administration has done nothing up to this point (or even nothing up until July) is a complete misrepresentation of the source.

Do you have something showing White House action between January and July? Because when I read an article stating that the White House enacted an emergency board to address potential issues in July, I do tend to think that they started in July. Since that was when they reportedly started. Reported in the article. Which said July.

If you have something saying otherwise I'd like to see it. But I've been following this story cause I have family connected to the rail industry and I must have missed it.

Honestly I don't even think the White House directly did anything back in January. It wasn't even the NLRB that got involved it was just a Federal Judge who ruled in favor of the companies to enact a restraining order on the unions to prevent a strike at the time.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Admitting the validity of this logic would mean admitting we need to nationalize everything from time Warner to Amazon

I mean you aren't wrong but we live in a system which cannot admit you are correct while continuing to exist as currently constituted

Don't I know it.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 14, 2022

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
EVs are still just cars, and the design of suburbia and car-centric cities/towns is where the real problem lies. Get some actual city planners out to all areas to expand pedestrian foot and bicycle access to important facilities and areas of business/public services, as well as a creation of local bus and tram services. I’m loving tired of risking my life to ride my bike a half mile to my friend’s place, or just straight up asking to become road kill if I want to go to the library on foot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ringo Star Get posted:

EVs are still just cars, and the design of suburbia and car-centric cities/towns is where the real problem lies. Get some actual city planners out to all areas to expand pedestrian foot and bicycle access to important facilities and areas of business/public services, as well as a creation of local bus and tram services. I’m loving tired of risking my life to ride my bike a half mile to my friend’s place, or just straight up asking to become road kill if I want to go to the library on foot.

Yes but changing the overall layout of the entire United States of America is a bit longer of a time table than replacing ICE cars with EV cars meanwhile the world is melting.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

Yes but changing the overall layout of the entire United States of America is a bit longer of a time table than replacing ICE cars with EV cars meanwhile the world is melting.

We're a hugely rich society and if we want to decarbonize our inefficient land use in place, gently caress it. It's probably not optimal in the long term but right now I think you have a point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

slurm posted:

We're a hugely rich society and if we want to decarbonize our inefficient land use in place, gently caress it. It's probably not optimal in the long term but right now I think you have a point.

Yeah the thing is I see this all the time on sustainability/enviornmental stuff

like every leftist group i'm in you talk EV's and people are like "Public transportation! Walkable communities! Change Society!" and yes, do all of those things. But we will always have cars and the cars we have should be electric.

I'd love to do all that poo poo, but none of that is doing very well now, and EV's are a thing that is happening. Everything helps. We certainly shouldn't stop at just doing EV's and changing nothing else(knowing society, we probably will), but even if that's all we did, it would still be worth doing.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Crain posted:

Do you have something showing White House action between January and July? Because when I read an article stating that the White House enacted an emergency board to address potential issues in July, I do tend to think that they started in July. Since that was when they reportedly started. Reported in the article. Which said July.

If you have something saying otherwise I'd like to see it. But I've been following this story cause I have family connected to the rail industry and I must have missed it.

Honestly I don't even think the White House directly did anything back in January. It wasn't even the NLRB that got involved it was just a Federal Judge who ruled in favor of the companies to enact a restraining order on the unions to prevent a strike at the time.

Come on, do you really think after 6+ months of this looming strike, they realized "oh poo poo, this might be a problem" and throw together an emergency board in a few days? Just because an issue doesn't make itself into news articles doesn't mean it's not being worked upon behind the scenes :rolleyes: You should know that the White House works on a lot of issues that aren't reported on in the media for a variety of reasons.

But fine, if you want to see that the Biden administration has been working on this since before July (emphasis mine): https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/biden-administration-prepares-for-a-potential-railroad-worker-strike.html

quote:

President Joe Biden and several of Cabinet secretaries, including those representing the departments of Labor, Agriculture and Transportation, have been in talks for months with the unions and the companies to try to avert the strike, Jean-Pierre said. The administration, she added, has had hundreds of calls and meetings over the issue since the early spring.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Grindr is becoming a publicly traded corporation with an initial valuation of $2.1 billion dollars.

In a weird twist: The sale to go public has to clear a U.S. Treasury regulatory agency that reviews deals for national security risks because a Chinese billionaire that formed a corporation in the Cayman Islands has bought 41% of the company already.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1570119704592715777

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

Come on, do you really think after months of this looming strike, they realized "oh poo poo, this might be a problem" and throw together an emergency board in a few days? Just because an issue doesn't make itself into news articles doesn't mean it's not being worked upon behind the scenes :rolleyes: You should know that the White House works on a lot of issues that aren't reported on in the media for a variety of reasons.

But fine, if you want to see that the Biden administration has been working on this since before July (emphasis mine): https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/biden-administration-prepares-for-a-potential-railroad-worker-strike.html

There is no reason to assume that when it comes to the government. But it's good to see they haven't completely ignored the issue. Though still sad to see that most of the effort seems to be focused on the getting the workers to capitulate instead of on the companies to treat their workers well.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Crain posted:

Don't I know it.

The only thing the article states was started in July was the emergency board, there's absolutely no reason to extrapolate from that that the emergency board is literally the only thing the White has ever done to address the problem. The article makes no indication that was the first action they took, and the context of the statement is giving background on the emergency board's recent actions so why would they talk about anything else? There's absolutely nothing in that article that supports your assertion, even by implication. You can't just pick a random article and say it supports your assertion just because it doesn't explicitly disprove it.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 14, 2022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Back to the yeshivas for a second - while I agree that the vasy majority of what is going on there is Bad, I am confused why "conducting classes in Yiddish and Hebrew" is lumped in there with "having no math classes" and "corpral punishment".

Mostly because minority language immersion schools are a relitively uncontested thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twincityhacker posted:

Back to the yeshivas for a second - while I agree that the vasy majority of what is going on there is Bad, I am confused why "conducting classes in Yiddish and Hebrew" is lumped in there with "having no math classes" and "corpral punishment".

Mostly because minority language immersion schools are a relitively uncontested thing.

The article says that they hired English teachers who couldn't speak English and that high schoolers who took 12 years of "English" graduated unable to communicate in English.